shape
carat
color
clarity

Like this odd Cartier ring...anyone seen anything similar?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ndkm

Rough_Rock
Heya, I just started shopping for an engagement ring a few weeks ago. These forums have been a big help.

The ring that I'm stuck on is from Cartier, but is difficult to find. They apparently have only one in the country and it's in transit to Las Vegas. They can't tell me whether it's just for someone to view or if it's been sold.

I've attached a picture, and here's a link to Cartier's site:

http://www.cartier.com/us/Creation,N4185900

I haven't seen anything even remotely similar. Price isn't a huge deal; neither is the size of the center stone. Cartier wants about 10k for a .53, E, VVS2. Understandably a large markup, but I just haven't seen anything online or in person that approximates the way this ring seems to wrap around the center stone.

I'm going back to Cartier tomorrow to see if the Vegas ring can be sent here. Since I got this idea in my head I'm dying to propose (I'm not shopping with my gal...she likes surprises). I'm hoping to do it in the next few weeks.

Any help in identifying something similar is much, much appreciated!

oddcartier.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey ndkm
35.gif
welcome to ps!
i haven''t seen anything quite like that before, it''s very unique. have you thought about going custom?

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Cool design! Would love to see it straight-on. Do you have any more photos? I can''t get the site to let me rotate it in any way.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! I really like it!

....wish there were more photos....

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it too, wish I could see the other side of it. Also think about how a wedding band will sit next to it. Looks like you''d have to have a band custom made to sit flush with it or maybe that''s not a concern to you, don''t know. Just thought I''d throw it out there. More pics if you can get them!!
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it kinda reminds me snyth''s Whiteflash ring..

ring44.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2006 4:11:15 PM
Author:ndkm

I just haven't seen anything online or in person that approximates the way this ring seems to wrap around the center stone.
Remotely similar... one less remote one more so (swirl, but sans pave). It is not a common design, but neither it is unknown to science, so to speak.

You would need very good craftsmanship to match Cartier's look - as much as I can tell from those pictures. Not impossible though.

This may be wrong, but at first sight I'd say the design would look heavy and awkward with a large stone unless it gets substantial modification. The half carat sounds befitting.

My 2c

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I love it. But definitely keep in mind that a wedding ring will not sit flush. IMO, Cartier''s prices are too high. I''d consider going custom.

Janis

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 8:16:25 PM
Author: diamondlil
I love it. But definitely keep in mind that a wedding ring will not sit flush. IMO, Cartier''s prices are too high. I''d consider going custom.
I''d have to agree. I''d want a stone of at least a carat if I was spending in the $10,000 range.

ndkm

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m not sure if this is still interesting to anybody, but I stopped by the Cartier in Beverly Hills after work tonight and they''re having the ring sent from Las Vegas and ought to have it next Tuesday or so. I''m pretty excited.

I''ve looked all over the web and lots of local places in LA and haven''t seen anything that I liked. Hopefully this Cartier ring looks as good in person as it does in photos. If not, I''m not sure what I''ll do. But I''m pretty confident this is the winner.

I attached another picture of (presumably) the same ring I found on a random other page of Cartier''s site.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the suggestions. None of them were quite what I was looking for, but at this point I''m mostly looking to reassure myself that the one that caught my eye is actually what I want to get.

I do appreciate the advice, but I''m not necessarily looking for a big rock--a beautiful, integrated ring is the goal, and I''m not worried about a matching wedding band either!

big top.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a beautiful ring. Very unique in it's design. Good luck and let us know what you think of it once you see it in person.
1.gif
ETA: I do think this ring can stand alone, don't even need a wedding band... Anyway, I am excited for you!!!
2.gif

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I was visiting Cartier''s 5th Ave store (NYC) last sunday and I saw 3 or so rings with that exact design... with different sized center round stones. Maybe you can call some of those in if they fit your needs :) Hope it helps

Scott

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s LOVELY ...I''ve never seen anything quite like it ... and unlike some of the fellas who seem to pick out masculine or super-mod or otherwise architectual and "guy"-ish rings that THEY love (w/little regard to what their lady wants) I wholeheartedly think you have the best of intentions and excellent taste. (Hard to go wrong with Cartier!) It''s wonderful how excited you are and that you''ve found something that really speaks to you. Hopefully it will live up to your expectations (& hers) when you see it in person. Do come back with details!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful design, and if you are happy with it, that''s all the matters. Congratulations, and please post picks for us.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is simply stunning. You certainly can''t miss with Cartier. But, having recently bought myself a ring and having shopped a lot before hand, I can''t help but wonder if you contacted some of the vendors on this site, such as Good Old Gold, or Whiteflash, if they couldn''t provide something, perhaps with a larger stone in superior quality....for less. While that ring is fantastic, it is metal and there are likely many who could duplicate the design. It just seems that $10,000 is a LOT of money to pay for a half carat center stone.

Again, if the Cartier piece gives you the piece of mind you are seeking, you are likely to be happy and so will your (very lucky) fiance. Perhaps, it would be worth it though, to take a little extra time and explore your options.

Best of luck with your engagement!

ndkm

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/11/2006 10:17:00 AM
Author: Rod
I can't help but wonder if you contacted some of the vendors on this site, such as Good Old Gold, or Whiteflash, if they couldn't provide something, perhaps with a larger stone in superior quality....for less.

Yeah, without a comprehensive forum full of helpful people like this one, I would never have even considered having a replica made. The kind of information you can get from hanging out here is amazing.

But for me, I'll probably get the Cartier, if for anything than just the time it would take to have a custom ring made. And while the custom work similar to the T&Co and Cartier solitaires (especially Lucida and 1894) look like great, beautiful work, there are some subtle differences...it often looks like the WF of GoG versions set the rock a fair bit higher. I would worry a lot about those subtle differences on something as delicate as what I'm looking for...Sort of the idea that it might only be 10% better, but cost 50% more...sometimes that 10% makes a difference.

Any my gal honestly couldn't care less about how big the stone is (I'm assuming, since I'm doing this entirely on my own!). She will just want something beautiful and a little different from a solitaire ring. She's made it clear that a solitaire is exactly what she wouldn't want.

And the money, while always an important thing to keep in mind, isn't a huge deal. If the Cartier was more like $20k or $30k, I would be a lot more inclined to explore the custom option.

And again, a huge, huge thanks to everybody who makes these forums such a great resource. This is a pretty frightening process (for me, anyway), and the fact that I'm doing it in secret makes it even harder. These forums have made me a lot more confident!

I'll put up pictures if/when I buy the thing!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
That ring is just gorgeous! I don''t think it needs a wedding band either, but try to think if your gf would WANT one. It might be really tough to wear any band with that ring.

That said, if this THE ring for you, I wouldn''t really consider custom as it won''t be exactly the same as this unique design. If you''re sure your gf isn''t a "size" girl, I''d say go for the Cartier
30.gif

ndkm

Rough_Rock
I bought it! See it here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bought-an-odd-cartier.39182/

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for letting us know and the pics!! It''s a stunning ring, and I''m betting you''re going to have one VERY VERY excited girlfriend when you ask her to marry you with this ring!!

Please do let us know how it all turns out. My money''s on fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results