shape
carat
color
clarity

Light Return and Settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay I was talking to someone, a vendor, about ring questions. They said that having the stones open on the sides gives a better light return. Is this true? I thought light return was from the top of the diamond?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Light return can be diminished by dirty build up on the skin of the diamond. If the sides are closed in and the stone gets sort of filmy with soap , oil and dirt, then there will be some fall off in performance. An open sided mounting makes the diamond easier to keep super clean and at its best.

Some diamonds, especially some facny shapes, are more affected by the mounting than fine make rounds. There is some truth in what was told you, but for most people, the mounting design will not diminish the diamond, certainly noit in some permanent way.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It is my understanding that if the stone is well cut then that would be the case. The light that comes from the top, exits from the top. If the stone is badly cut, then it is a separate issue. I had a RB set into a bezel setting and it sparkled as well in that setting as it had in its prong setting.
Blu

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
What David said is so true. In any piece of jewelry I get I make sure I can fully get at the stones to clean them. Dirty stones drive me nuts!
Blu

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Hmm..okay so this would be for side stones. My concern is that the stones which make up the shank would not be getting enough security...I dont mean to sounds paranoid I just feel like I am running out of time to make a final decision about the setting and I feel like I dont have enough information.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
What kind of setting are you considering? If you posted elsewhere I apologize that I did not see it - I have been gone for a week.
Blu

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
He he funny that you should ask that. I am looking for a single shared prong eternity setting. But I have not been able to find one other then the Ritani or Rina Limor... I have been searching everywhere and trying to find something like that. i just worry with a single prong inbetween the stones and no metal on the sides of them that they wont stay in the setting very long.
If anyone has any clue where to find pictures and information about single prong settings please let me know. I am afriad Google has abandoned me in my time of need.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
DanielK''s U-prong eternity band is kind of cool. Very little metal, easy to clean, shared prongs. Here is a pic - I hope it comes up. [the DanielK site was obnoxiously slow to load so I found another that carries his stuff]
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=91194&iPos=1&sSQL=adGetJewelry%5FNEW3+%27%25%27%2C%27%25%27%2C%27%25%27%2C%27%25%27%2C%271510%27%2C%2D1%2C%2D1%2CNull%2C%27PurchaseDate%27%2C%27ASC%27%2C1

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I plan to get a shared prong eternity band too. ETA Are you looking for such a band with a solitaire in addition, or just the band? I expect that these could easily be modified to include a solitaire up top if that is what you are looking for.

Here are a couple from Wink's site:
http://winkjones.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16288&cat=262&page=1 [gold]
http://winkjones.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16217&cat=262&page=1 [plat]

Here is one from Tiffany
http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/group.aspx?CategoryID=471&category=diamonds&c_id=WEB1&c_it=GRP0042&start_id=6&

I don't think those stones are going anywhere!

The Facets people have some too, as I recall, but I can't immediately find their site [as does Harry Winston - Leon Mege must have some too].

Hope this helps a bit.
Blu

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Alot of people have shared prong rings...the thing is I only want one prong inbetween each two stones. I know I want plat and about 2-3mm wide. I just have to find it.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh. I think I understand now. So what you would see from the top would be a single prong between each two stones? Interesting. So you would need a good anchor somehow at the base or between the stones so that they would not escape. I''ll have to think about that. I''ll see if I can find some pics.
Blu

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Here is one, but the vendor is unknown to me, but there is a pic
1.gif
No extra info for you though... LINK
ezcreations_1854_173366709

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
What about this type of setting??

10990.jpg

LINK (This is a bar setting)

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2005 3:46:39 PM
Author: Stretch4
What about this type of setting??

10990.jpg

LINK (This is a bar setting)
I saw one like this recently with micropave on the bars and it was really pretty. It was actually done with pink sapphires and the contrast of the whte pave with the color was great but I think it would be nice in all white diamonds too.
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That is similair but a bar setting...I want prongs. I know I am being a picky princess but I only want to do this once. I am not a fan of change.
Ritani One Here is a picture of the matching band. But I cannot seem to find someone who carries this model or a venfor online who does...plus the head/basket is a little off to me.

2RD2183ARP_top.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results