shape
carat
color
clarity

Life before pricescope...Does anyone miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sizedoesmatter

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I''ve been meaning to write about my experience in the diamond district. In my last post I had explained that I wanted 2-3ct radiant, but I have a budget of 13K. Now this may come as a shock but my experience in the diamond district (NYC) wasn''t horrible. It seems that once they realized that I was an educated consumer (thanks to pricescope) they treated me with more respect and no pressure at all (I know it was hard for me to believe too). My experience probably is an isolated event, but still it was a knowledgeable one. I compared the color, cut and Dimensions of loose stones and was able to get an idea of what was good for me (and within my budget) but I feel like pricescope has robbed me of something...You know how they say ignorance is bliss? Well for me it really was. Before pricescope I would see rings and think they were all beautiful, no matter color, cut or size. Now I’m so critical and aware of the four c''s and the importance or depth and table percentages that this is becoming less like fun and more like work. Though I am grateful to pricescope for making me an educated consumer and making me aware of what quality traits to look for in stone, I miss the days of ignorant bliss when I was able to walk into a jewelry store and be easily impressed by whatever they showed me. I fear I have a long road ahead of me untill I find "my" ideal stone because after pricescope I’m no longer impressed by anything...
7.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Possibly it's one of the hassles of maturity.

Kind of like the opposite of Tom Hanks in "Big," only he did really get to go back.

I've also learned, based on my physique and life patterns, there's no way around Brooks Brothers no iron shirts, but boy, do they fall apart too quickly.

Regards,

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
sizedoesmatter,

The key is balance. The advise you receive on these forums should be used to steer you away from bad deals and bad diamonds. Beyond that, however, there is nothing wrong with just appreciating a diamond as a sparkly bauble, not a mathematical enigma...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Sizedoesmatter,
Like you, I had a mostly positive Diamond District experience (& a fruitful one, truth be told) ... but I agree that since Pricescope I''ve sweated & tossed & turned about a lot of math the average consumer wouldn''t even know to worry about. Here''s the thing: even with the calculations swirling in my head & 2nd guessing myself to bits - I fell in love at first sight with the stone I ended up choosing. Ultimately personal excellence and a right fit for you can''t be quantified or charted or scanned or "exposed" by a 1000x loupe. Romantically, you might just "know". There''s some peace in knowing. (Not complete peace - every stone/deal/setting has some compromises you''ll probably revisit, wondering what if ... but, like mates, houses, pets etc - nothing is perfect). Sending good rock vibes your way ...

sizedoesmatter

Rough_Rock
Thanks Deco,

I''ve heard that finding a ring is like finding a mate sometimes you just know...I guess i''ll anxiously anticipate finding "the one" in my ring search.
emwink.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m a great believer in the mystique and "magic" of gemstones and am sometimes saddened by the emphasis on numbers, percentages, charts, etc which is so prevelant around here regarding diamonds.

I''m particularly shocked when I see a happy young just-engaged poster show off her new ring, and the first image up is some sort of chart!!! (Sort of like wanting to share pics of a new fiance, and putting forth his dental xrays!)

I suppose all this ''science'' is useful for narrowing the field a bit when searching online, and perhaps for establishing value....but in the end it should be the eyes and heart that determine what is the perfect gem for each person.

JMO
widget

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 12:16:53 PM
Author: widget

I''m particularly shocked when I see a happy young just-engaged poster show off her new ring, and the first image up is some sort of chart!!! (Sort of like wanting to share pics of a new fiance, and putting forth his dental xrays!)

I suppose all this ''science'' is useful for narrowing the field a bit when searching online, and perhaps for establishing value....but in the end it should be the eyes and heart that determine what is the perfect gem for each person.
LMAO - this is PERFECT. Very, VERY well said, Widget!

Information can be useful and have its place, but it takes sound judgment and common sense to apply that information and to appreciate its limitations.
1.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I for one, feel that the loss of innocence is MUCH better than LOSS of money! Well, money that I may have overpaid at a Mall store.

maybe it''s just me..

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a great believer in the mystique and ''magic'' of gemstones and am sometimes saddened by the emphasis on numbers, percentages, charts, etc which is so prevelant around here regarding diamonds.

JMO
widget
Very well said, Widget...and a perfect comparision (the dental xrays ...that made me laugh SO hard). If I had approached marrying my husband using this format, we would have compared the facts that we both went to dermatologists--bad(both dealt with medium level acne), both had braces--yikes!(he had a whole row of extra teeth taken out on the bottom--YUCK!
emotion-41.gif
), we both wear contacts/glasses--really sad (Our kids constantly remind us of this one!
emotion-15.gif
), so in essence, I should have just shook hands with him and said, "Sorry, but I can''t take the risk..." But I didn''t...I went on my heart and have been for nearly 25 years...

He is not perfect, but he is a "gem of a guy" for me!
emlove.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm a great believer in the mystique and 'magic' of gemstones and am sometimes saddened by the emphasis on numbers, percentages, charts, etc which is so prevelant around here regarding diamonds.
Yeah. This is it...

I happen to like numbers too for their own sake and just as much, and this is why I do not miss life before Pricescope. But this may be slightly beside the point.

To what Widget said so well, I would add that numbers and charts are easily missleading too, not just unromantic. Just like anything else, they represent an incomplete view of things. I am not usually inclined to consider a technical presentation of some sort to be less biased just because there are numbers involved. Those technicals are just easier to communicate, but this remains to be amde into a good thing on case by case basis.

Just my usual 0.2
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t miss drooling over badly cut stones or being ready to plunk down thousands of dollars for what amounts to crap...no definitely not that.

BUT sometimes I do miss the extra $$ that my new addiction COSTS on an annual basis.
31.gif

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I don''t miss my life before PS. I wasn''t educated when I picked my first ring. All I knew was the four Cs. I used to think "cut" meant shape. In fact, I liked my *last* engagement ring, but LOVE my current engagement ring. Could have a lot to do with the fact of who gave it to me:)

Thank you Pricescope for showing me the light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a great believer in the mystique and ''magic'' of gemstones and am sometimes saddened by the emphasis on numbers, percentages, charts, etc which is so prevelant around here regarding diamonds.

JMO
widget
Widget, you said it better than I ever could so I''ll just add that I agree 100%!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Ignorance definitely isn''t bliss when it comes to diamonds.

Like Mara said, I don''t want to be paying $$$ for something that is overpriced and yucky.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It used to be much more fun drooling over the gemstones at the jewlery store.
Never was much into diamonds so dont miss that much.
Still drool over asschers when I find em.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I'm a great believer in the mystique and 'magic' of gemstones and am sometimes saddened by the emphasis on numbers, percentages, charts, etc which is so prevelant around here regarding diamonds.
Mystique and "magic" have been very successful selling tools. Pricescope is a buying one. It's that simple.

As for romance and sensibility, a young couple closing on their first house brings tears to my eyes too
39.gif
, but i still want them to check basement for leakage.

There are different marketing approaches:

1. one of them is romancing a product (targeted to emotional consumers)
2. another one is providing numbers (targeted to pragmatic consumers).

Without numbers and price-comparison it is difficult to assess the market value of the product. For years the industry was working on approach #1.
Those who like romance and magic still have a lot of ads, pictures of kissing happy couples and sweet songs to listen
30.gif
9.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have missed the main point of Pricescope.

The biggest use of the HCA, Idealscope, etc is not to choose the "perfect" diamond. It is to weed out the bad diamonds so that you are left to chose between a selection of great diamonds.

As an engineer - with an optical background - I made a conscious decission to stay away from the inteicies of "diamond calc" and other really advanced programs - because they do not really tell you anything once you get down to the selection of better looking diamonds. The eye''s have it after that.

An advantage of becomming an educated consumer - as mentioned above - is that some stores will treat you differently. I have one store who now knows me and should I walk by will only show me their better diamonds -cut wise - to look at. That is where you want to be.

Perry

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Pricescope
Mystique and 'magic' have been very successful selling tools. Pricescope is a buying[tool]. It's that simple.
And it's an excellent and useful one, at that!
36.gif
As Laney said so well: better loss of innocence than loss of money!

Having said that, I'm now going to tiptoe back to the Colored Gemstone Forum where I belong.....fewer charts and graphs over there...and occasionally...a little "magic".
2.gif

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"I''m particularly shocked when I see a happy young just-engaged poster show off her new ring, and the first image up is some sort of chart!!! (Sort of like wanting to share pics of a new fiance, and putting forth his dental xrays!)"

I just wanted to add that around PS some of us nuts ARE just as excited about the charts or the numbers as we are about the diamond or finished product images or the ring itself! It''s part of the ''magic'' of PS IMO...just a different type of magic!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I am split right down the middle on this. For diamonds I want all the numbers, and say bring on the charts. A well informed consumer is what I want to be. PS has given me the tools to make many great buys and I wouldn''t change that for the world. But for my sapphires and other colored gems, I don''t want to be soooo technical. Does that make any sense??? I still believe in using my eyes for both.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 9:39:00 PM
Author: kaleigh
I guess I am split right down the middle on this. For diamonds I want all the numbers, and say bring on the charts. A well informed consumer is what I want to be. PS has given me the tools to make many great buys and I wouldn''t change that for the world. But for my sapphires and other colored gems, I don''t want to be soooo technical. Does that make any sense??? I still believe in using my eyes for both.
2.gif

Makes perfect sence to me.
I view round diamonds as a comodity to be picked one from many where colored gemstones and asschers are more like snow flakes each has a likeness of its own that can only be discovered thru long observation over a long period of time.
There is far more difference one to another and there may not be another like it in the world or one even close.
Its not like round diamonds where if you like one you can have another made just like it if you really want.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 6:10:04 PM
As for romance and sensibility, a young couple closing on their first house brings tears to my eyes too
39.gif
, but i still want them to check basement for leakage.

Leonid''s above quote and Widget''s: "I''m particularly shocked when I see a happy young just-engaged poster show off her new ring, and the first image up is some sort of chart!!! (Sort of like wanting to share pics of a new fiance, and putting forth his dental xrays!)"

say it perfectly, I think. You need to weed out the bad stuff, but if you love it and can handle the bad stuff, go for it!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 12:25:20 PM
Author: laney
Well, I for one, feel that the loss of innocence is MUCH better than LOSS of money! Well, money that I may have overpaid at a Mall store.

maybe it''s just me..
I agree with you, Laney!

I feel so lucky to have found Pricescope...I now have two beautiful stones that I would never have been able to find if not for Pricescope. (Both are I-1 clarity, ideal cuts which are almost non-existent outside of the online dealers.)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Beh...I cant imagine why they thought that would help them sell...
20.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 10:39:21 PM
here is a real masterpiece of magic and romance: DeBeers'' Rules of Engagement - make an appointment, ladies and gents
emotion-41.gif

Ugh!! Did you watch the Diamond Beauty Scan on that page??

"There are no numbers or measurements to truly describe how to find your perfect diamond. However important the 4c''s are, it is the unmistakable inner fire of a diamond, over a billion years in the making, that leads you to your perfect diamond. We select our stones based on expertise in choosing exceptional fire, beyond the 4 c''s. But ultimately it is the diamond that chooses you."

Clearly, only DeBeers can tell you what makes a beautiful diamond... This kind of romanticism is what hurts consumer pocketbooks, and why Pricescope is a valuable information source.

sizedoesmatter

Rough_Rock

LOL!

I think perhaps there may have been some miscommunication on my part.

2.gif

I don’t regret ever having found pricescope, I’m grateful to have found it! I love pricescope!!!

30.gif

The point I was trying to get across is I’ve become so caught up in charts and numbers that even when I see two great stones side by side and it comes down to which one is more eye pleasing I’m partially bias to the one with better numbers. So much so that even if the one with weaker numbers is brighter I’m blind to it b/c as I stand there looking at these precious stones all I can think is CUT; DEPTH; TABLE!!!

Pricescope you''ve created a monster!!!!
11.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Sizedoesmatter,
I know this is a little late haha have you found anything yet? I know what you mean though in your last post when you said your down to two VERY good diamonds and you shoud pick whichever is more eye pleasing but the numbers get you. I was fortunate enough to deal with James Allen and we had two choices....both are excellent diamond...one was a little larger and like $2,780 the other a little better in cut and clarity and just a teeny bit smaller for $2,980. I had to sit there and force myself to remember that in starting out my original plan was to get a great quality diamond as close to 1c as possible for under 3k. So I went with the larger and I found myself wondering...hmmm that other diamond the cut was just a teeeeny bit better.....the clarity was just a teeeeeeny bit better....but then I had to stop myself and think hey!!! The one I picked out is freaking amazing....there will always be a diamond out there with better specs...I wasn''t out to get the ultimate BEST diamond out there...just a GREAT quality one and I did! Just keep in mind the knowledge you have from here will help you not pick a bad one.....after that go with what your eyes and heart tell you.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I miss life before pricescope- b/c makes me want want want! and I am currently a poor poor poor med student
2.gif
other than that, I''m a research kinda girl... so this is my kind of place!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock

Lol... I admit to starting with stone specs, then pics, then ring specs, then hand pics. It''s a chronology, for me... it''s how the order went, not necessarily what I think is most important.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results