color
clarity

Let's talk branded pieces...Yssie, DS, and all other fans

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Let's talk branded pieces...Yssie, DS, and all other fan

So I talked to a WF rep about the ACA... it's not eyeclean :(sad

It's *almost* eyeclean. As in, you have to look for the inclusion. I spotted it right away in the blown up photo, the crystal under the start facet, but... that's a blown up photo... DS, thank you! I would certainly trust your recomendation as a double-check of whether it's worth having shipped out to inspect in-person as FD smartly suggests! Based on feedback so far I don't think it's likely to be the stone for me though - I'm a lot more nitpicky about inclusions these days. :(sad

I want a 4ct J VS2 - as close to 10mm as possible. There are 3.5ct J VS1s in-budget and 4.2ct J SI1s in-budget (budget's up to 45 - finally final!!!) and not much going on in the middle ;( WF has rough to cut a ~3.4ct J VS1 for a very (VERY) reasonable cost, but... again, smaller than I want, I'd be paying for clarity I won't appreciate. I've asked if there's anything that could make a slightly larger, slightly lower-clarity stone - we'll see! I really don't want to go the custom cutting route but the dearth of NotTotalCrap is astounding :errrr:

Oh, I have to say - I'm not pleased with JA at the moment. I completely fail to understand how it can take three weeks to process a wire transfer refund - they refused to FedEx me the refund cheque even after offering to pay the extra. I'll be calling in as soon as the stone reaches their offices and having a nice long chat with whoever I need to have a nice long chat with to get me my 30k a good bit faster than that :nono: Refunds are a long process but exchanges are much faster, of course!

Rose, FD, DS, m2b - you're all so sweet to humour me and my waffling ::)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1454562158|3986652 said:
So I talked to a WF rep about the ACA... it's not eyeclean :(sad

Oh, I have to say - I'm not pleased with JA at the moment. I completely fail to understand how it can take three weeks to process a wire transfer refund - they refused to FedEx me the refund cheque even after offering to pay the extra. I'll be calling in as soon as the stone reaches their offices and having a nice long chat with whoever I need to have a nice long chat with to get me my 30k a good bit faster than that :nono: Refunds are a long process but exchanges are much faster, of course!

Rose, FD, DS, m2b - you're all so sweet to humour me and my waffling ::)

Yssie, I'm still hopeful for you. Maybe it's not that noticeable. DS should be able to tell! And I agree with you about the refund. It's almost like they want to hold it as long as possible to earn some interest. Doesn't seem right to me. I get they have to inspect the diamond but how long can that take? Good luck on getting your money back quickly.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any news on the evaluation of the stone by PSers?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie, we thought that diamond was very beautiful! I didn't see the inclusion until I found where it was with a loupe. We'll see what the others say, but I felt it was pretty eyeclean. BUT, would I personally be able to handle that particular inclusion? Probably not, because I am really a VS girl. Can't help it. But I do think you'd have to see it, because I do think some people would be okay with the inclusion since the diamond is so beautiful and masks it pretty well! I would love to see you get an ACA for a ring stone. There is just something really mindclean about having that level of cut perfection.

I will post a couple of pics as soon as my wireless internet gets fixed tomorrow and I can get my pictures from my phone to the computer.

I also may have a little something to add to this thread in a couple of days from my excursion this weekend. :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, so my little souvenir just came and I am already thinking about whether to exchange it. But here are the pics! 6 motif pink gold Sweet Alhambra bracelet.

vca_2016-02-09_a.jpg

vca_2016-02-09_c.jpg

vca_2016-02-09_d.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here are my thoughts. A 5 motif vintage Alhambra bracelet like it is only $1300 more. I like the pink gold, but I am not sure I want other pieces of this collection in pink gold. My favorites with stones are the onyx in gold (actually the long magic onyx pendant is now in white gold, too!) and the turquoise in white gold, so it might make more sense to get all yellow or white gold, except I won't get the white gold with diamonds due to cost. I like the pink gold but it may blend in too much with my skin. Or maybe I should have gotten the 1 motif for a souvenir and get a vintage 5 motif later? Or something else???

So what do you think???

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the update DS!! :bigsmile: I've been thinking about this and... this will be a "forever" stone and I do want it to be completely, totally eyeclean. Which means VS2 or higher. Which also means I'll have to wait to buy... which I'm okay with :)) WF has some rough that will cut a 3.37-3.4ct J VS1 ACA for a very good price. I would be obligated to buy the stone if it meets those criteria, however, no option to return if I don't love it like w/ pre-cut ACAs, and I'm not comfortable with that.

I like the pink gold on you!! It does blend into your skin, but the motif size works with the 'blending' - it's dainty and subtle overall. The onyx five-motif would be a much bigger, brighter, bolder piece - totally different look! I do think that if you're planning to get more Alhambra pieces YG would be easier to match. And the onyx is my favourite Alhambra coloured stone offering. Re. turquoise - from the sound of things that could take a while to find...

Are you attached to the idea of keeping the souvenir? Or would your priority be more finding the piece you love the most?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would agree with you on clarity, Yssie, especially for a ring stone. I also agree that I have to have a return policy. Hopefully they will just end up cutting that rough anyway!

It is still a souvenir even if I exchange. This little bracelet is nice to wear with my all white metal jewelry, but if I were to ever get another Alhambra piece, it wouldn't be pink gold. That is why I started thinking about exchanging. The logical thing would be the 5 motif yg vintage bracelet and then I could wear it with onyx pieces if I wanted. On the other hand, the piece I like the most (the 35" Magic single motif onyx) is now made in white gold, and that would maybe go better with my existing pieces. However, the yg onyx is striking. So I really don't know what to do!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

DS--difficult decision. IMHO, Onyx or MOP are dreamy choices.

On myself and FWIW-- I did not care for the VCA rose gold. Did not suit me. But I think it looks great on you! That said, I don't think the price difference of $1300 if unreasonable for a forever piece.

cheers--Sharon

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the Magic YG onyx pendant for you personally, DS! I think it would look striking on you!

Yssie--I hope they will go ahead and cut that rough anyways for you! It sounds perfect!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1455047786|3988988 said:
HI:

DS--difficult decision. IMHO, Onyx or MOP are dreamy choices.

On myself and FWIW-- I did not care for the VCA rose gold. Did not suit me. But I think it looks great on you! That said, I don't think the price difference of $1300 if unreasonable for a forever piece.

cheers--Sharon

I initially was liking this bracelet to wear with my DBTY bracelet, not to coordinate with anything else. Then I started thinking that coordinating with future pieces might be smarter. I am glad you think the pink is okay on me, in case I just keep it!

m-2-b said:
I like the Magic YG onyx pendant for you personally, DS! I think it would look striking on you!

Yssie--I hope they will go ahead and cut that rough anyways for you! It sounds perfect!

You like that long onyx Magic in YG better than WG? I hadn't ventured back into yg yet, but black in yg is really beautiful, I think.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Something about the YG and onyx combination against your skin coloration/dark hair is mesmerizing, especially in the magic size! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m-2-b|1455048706|3988995 said:
Something about the YG and onyx combination against your skin coloration/dark hair is mesmerizing, especially in the magic size! :love:

Well, I am glad to hear you say that, because I do think the richness of the yg works so well with the onyx. I feel like if I were to get that piece, I might want the solid yg bracelet due to being worried about onyx getting scratched or broken on a bracelet. I don't wear bracelets as much as I wear necklaces, though.

I am still thinking about maybe keeping this just to wear with all diamonds and white metals. VCA was our last stop and I think we had less than an hour before they closed, so I didn't have a lot of time to think this through!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooo DS :love: :love: the bracelet is beautiful, but I super puffy heart black onyx, especially with yellow gold! You have impeccable taste - whatever you decide will be a glorious addition to your collection! :appl: :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1455053477|3989051 said:
Oooo DS :love: :love: the bracelet is beautiful, but I super puffy heart black onyx, especially with yellow gold! You have impeccable taste - whatever you decide will be a glorious addition to your collection! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Aww, thanks PintoBean! I remember thinking several times this weekend that my taste and budget definitely do not match up! :lol:

If I were going to get a bracelet this time, would y'all vote for sticking with this one or going with the yg vintage solid gold which would eventually go with more pieces??? I really love the smaller 6 motif but I might get more use out of the yg one. It's obviously possible to end up with both, but I want to make wise choices for the long term.

I will add that the solid gold ones are prettier in person than they are in pictures.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am massively biased because I am LOVING my 10 motif yellow gold, but I also slightly prefer the vintage size. It looks very elegant and has a nice weight to it. I'd go for the yellow one....... :angel:

Yssie, I really hope you get that perfect stone!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

DS,
The small sweet clovers go very nicely with your dbty bracelets, but my vote is for all-yellow gold Vintage size bracelet or yellow gold-colored stone combination. I prefer the Vinage bracelet for the flexibility of combining it with a 10-motifs necklace. You can still wear the YG Vintage bracelet and match it with whatever colored stone Alhambra jewelry you like. The Vintage size is perfect for me, not too small and not too big.

I was never a yellow gold person. I used to buy only platinum or white gold, until I started looking at Rolex, VCA, and Hermes. Somehow, yellow gold brings out the best in these jewelry pieces.. For some reasons, the yellow gold in two-tone Rolex Datejust or the all yellow gold Rolex DD or DJ all look better than white gold versions. Similarly, the yellow gold in VCA pieces bring out the colored stones better. White gold gets washed out a bit to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Snowdrop13 said:
I am massively biased because I am LOVING my 10 motif yellow gold, but I also slightly prefer the vintage size. It looks very elegant and has a nice weight to it. I'd go for the yellow one....... :angel:

Yssie, I really hope you get that perfect stone!
:loopy:

FancyDiamond said:
DS,
The small sweet clovers go very nicely with your dbty bracelets, but my vote is for all-yellow gold Vintage size bracelet or yellow gold-colored stone combination. I prefer the Vinage bracelet for the flexibility of combining it with a 10-motifs necklace. You can still wear the YG Vintage bracelet and match it with whatever colored stone Alhambra jewelry you like. The Vintage size is perfect for me, not too small and not too big.

I was never a yellow gold person. I used to buy only platinum or white gold, until I started looking at Rolex, VCA, and Hermes. Somehow, yellow gold brings out the best in these jewelry pieces.. For some reasons, the yellow gold in two-tone Rolex Datejust or the all yellow gold Rolex DD or DJ all look better than white gold versions. Similarly, the yellow gold in VCA pieces bring out the colored stones better. White gold gets washed out a bit to me.

Well, you two ladies are perfect to help me decide! I was looking back and I saw your new necklace, Snowdrop, and I think that was a great find and very beautiful!!! :love:

FancyDiamond...I had also read back to where you posted almost my exact thoughts about combining different pieces all with the same metal. I guess I had stored that in my mind when I read it earlier! Considering the fact that I won't get complete suites in different metals, it does seem like the yg bracelet could be my unifying piece. I know I want the onyx but I would be open to the mop, turquoise, etc. I am glad to know that as a platinum and diamonds person that you felt the yellow gold was richer in the VCA and other brands. I do think this pink gold bracelet is beautiful, but the vintage size is still not too big, so I am leaning towards changing it for the vintage yg with the intent of getting some onyx next.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

DS,
Glad that you changed to all YG Vintage. Have you seen the onyx in person and know for sure this is the color you want? Although black plus YG frame matches clothing very easily, you may want to check out the green Malachite stone with YG trim. It is very rich in color and is also easy to match clothing (think of it as the Chinese green jadeite), but with a pop in color. Check it out and let me know how you like it on yourself. I suspect it would look better on you than turquoise.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie, I am sorry that the stone is not going to work for you but I wouldn't settle for any variable in the stone that I didn't like. Just not worth it in the long run. It just means that the perfect one is out there somewhere for you - and maybe it hasn't even been cut yet!

DS, congrats on your new bracelet! I like the pink gold on you but have to agree with others that yellow gold is probably more blendable with other future pieces - whether yellow or white. I am a huge fan of two toned metals - I think one plays off of the other well and gives collections more flexibility. While I can appreciate the workmanship and beauty of some of the VCA pieces, I am so grateful that I've not been bitten by the bug - ha! I will scoot out of this thread before I catch it but will be waiting to see what you decide on for the bracelet!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie said:
Thanks for the update DS!! :bigsmile: I've been thinking about this and... this will be a "forever" stone and I do want it to be completely, totally eyeclean. Which means VS2 or higher. Which also means I'll have to wait to buy... which I'm okay with :)) WF has some rough that will cut a 3.37-3.4ct J VS1 ACA for a very good price. I would be obligated to buy the stone if it meets those criteria, however, no option to return if I don't love it like w/ pre-cut ACAs, and I'm not comfortable with that.

Yssie, yeah, I get the eye clean VS2 thing. Something more "right" will come along. I hope they do cut that rough anyway. That would be perfect. At least there is still a "project"! :dance: The year is young!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DS, I really like the rose gold and it stacks beautifully. But it seems you like the vintage better. I think the yellow would be perfect to go with everything. I also love the onyx. It's such a bold piece. Hmmm... Hard to choose. :) Those would match better with anything else you get in the future, since you 're probably not getting another rose gold piece. However, I am loving little stacking bracelets these days... Now you have me thinking about a little sweet. Can't wait to see what you decide on!! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So I've been stalking this little beauty for a while now. I got it preloved and was planning on wearing it on my right hand but instead I find I love it stacked with my ering. :roll:

Cartier mini love in platinum

I love how shiny it is and how it just how substantial it feels with my ering. I think my ering looks better without it, but I still like it...

_1944.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FancyDiamond|1455069370|3989177 said:
DS,
Glad that you changed to all YG Vintage. Have you seen the onyx in person and know for sure this is the color you want? Although black plus YG frame matches clothing very easily, you may want to check out the green Malachite stone with YG trim. It is very rich in color and is also easy to match clothing (think of it as the Chinese green jadeite), but with a pop in color. Check it out and let me know how you like it on yourself. I suspect it would look better on you than turquoise.

I did see the Malachite and it was beautiful! I just rarely wear green. I think I would wear the onyx the most aside from the solid gold. I am still thinking on it, though!

MissGotRocks said:
DS, congrats on your new bracelet! I like the pink gold on you but have to agree with others that yellow gold is probably more blendable with other future pieces - whether yellow or white. I am a huge fan of two toned metals - I think one plays off of the other well and gives collections more flexibility. While I can appreciate the workmanship and beauty of some of the VCA pieces, I am so grateful that I've not been bitten by the bug - ha! I will scoot out of this thread before I catch it but will be waiting to see what you decide on for the bracelet!

Yes, it does work well when a two toned piece can tie things together! I used to have a watch that did that, and maybe I need to consider that again! Definitely do not catch the VCA bug! It is dangerous! I just like clovers a lot, and that kind of drew me in!

LLJsmom said:
DS, I really like the rose gold and it stacks beautifully. But it seems you like the vintage better. I think the yellow would be perfect to go with everything. I also love the onyx. It's such a bold piece. Hmmm... Hard to choose. :) Those would match better with anything else you get in the future, since you 're probably not getting another rose gold piece. However, I am loving little stacking bracelets these days... Now you have me thinking about a little sweet. Can't wait to see what you decide on!! :appl:

I do love the little 6 stone sweet bracelets! It is kind of hard to part with, but I know I will only have a limited number of pieces, so I need to choose wisely! I am still not sure. I want to show it to my daughter tomorrow and see what she thinks about the color.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love your LOVE ring, LLJsmom! That can also work as a nice standalone band when you don't want to wear your diamond!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamondseeker, I love the rg sweets bracelet! Haven't had a chance to see the new sweets collection and this is seriously tempting me!

That said, Given all that you've shared, I would return it and get the yg vintage size bracelet. I think that size is simply perfect and still has the delicate feel. Also, I don't see how yg would preclude you getting the magic onyx pendant in wg - I don't care much for being matchy, so I think these two together will complement each other well without looking like they are part of a 'set'.

My last comment is, however, asking you reconsider the vintage onyx bracelet. Of course I am biased given I have the bracelet and the matching magic pendant...but the black and gold has immense oomph and simply spectacular. I think it would look amazing against your skin tone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Oakgem also has "10% off for Valentines Day"...

http://oakgem.com/Products/Van_Cleef_(and)_Arpels_Vintage_Alhambra_Gold_Bracelet_16213.aspx

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kama_s|1455108552|3989283 said:
Diamondseeker, I love the rg sweets bracelet! Haven't had a chance to see the new sweets collection and this is seriously tempting me!

That said, Given all that you've shared, I would return it and get the yg vintage size bracelet. I think that size is simply perfect and still has the delicate feel. Also, I don't see how yg would preclude you getting the magic onyx pendant in wg - I don't care much for being matchy, so I think these two together will complement each other well without looking like they are part of a 'set'.

My last comment is, however, asking you reconsider the vintage onyx bracelet. Of course I am biased given I have the bracelet and the matching magic pendant...but the black and gold has immense oomph and simply spectacular. I think it would look amazing against your skin tone.

I was hoping you would see this and had planned to find you elsewhere to see what you thought! I was just thinking of the solid yg since it could be worn with any of the stones in other pieces. I just don't wear bracelets often, so buying multiple bracelets would not make sense for me, whereas necklaces I wear a lot more. I will look back at your pictures and think about it some more. I think I have pictures from Vegas last summer when I tried the onyx on, too.

The new sweets are beautiful. The wg/diamond one is just gorgeous, too. I loved the long necklaces as well. I like rose gold, but when I held it up to my clothes in the closet, I can't see that it goes with anything other than maybe purple. So I am more inclined to exchange it now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1455116913|3989323 said:
HI:

http://oakgem.com/Products/Van_Cleef_(and)_Arpels_Vintage_Alhambra_Gold_Bracelet_16213.aspx

cheers--Sharon

Yes, thank you, but sadly they exclude VCA and a couple of others from the sale! I looked last night just to see so that I wouldn't buy something new that they had at a good price. But their VCA prices are so close to retail that I'd prefer new.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1455117772|3989328 said:
canuk-gal|1455116913|3989323 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Yes, thank you, but sadly they exclude VCA and a couple of others from the sale! I looked last night just to see so that I wouldn't buy something new that they had at a good price. But their VCA prices are so close to retail that I'd prefer new.

Yes.

I didn't know VCA was excluded---guess I should read the fine print..... :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results