carat
color
clarity

let's talk blenders, specifically Vitamix

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
anyone have one?
anyone regret it?
its a lot of $$$$$ for a blender.........but i'm really close to getting one.

MoZo

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have one personally, but a good friend who is a food blogger was gifted one and uses it all the time. It really is amazing; it makes (and heats!) soups and smoothies and just about anything else you can imagine. From her near constant use of it and the way she talks about it, it was very obviously something she wanted and utilizes often. Yeah, it's expensive, but if you're a big foodie, I'd say it's worth it! :)

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
Recently purchased the BlendTec, they sell them at Costco events. It was a toss up between the BlendTec & Vitamix.

There is a lot of information on the internet comparing them. I went with the BlendTec as it's easier to clean. Does everything with the same container too. Vitamix has 2 different containers. Also BlendTec fits under my counter, Vitamix won't

I use it almost daily, throw veggies, fruit, etc ice into then drink it.

From what I read, you can't go wrong either way.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
which Blend Tex did you get? my research is showing there is one that comes with two containers.....

MoZo

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Vitamix. I use it every single day. It's a noisy SOB but there is no comparison to a regular blender for power and versatility.

Go here and read up on them also

www.egullet.com

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
leaning towards the latest: vitamix professional 500..........at $598.00: big sigh as i thought $498 for one was a LOT OF MOOLA.

MoZo

ps 2nd runner up is the vitaprep 3/1005......

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
That's the one I have. You can get better prices than that on the internet.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I bought one last spring. I got the culinary institute one from chefs.com

I could have gone a bit cheaper, but by the time you pay that much for a blender, you may as well go all the way.

I do love it. I make a lot of dog food with it of all things. It comes with a huge container. I ended up ordering a smaller one from Vitamix. Be careful if you cannot find the lid. I thought mine must be in the dishwasher, so I just held a dinner plate on top. Don't ask me how I did this, but the lid was in the blender. I turned it on and chewed up the lid. Duh. So, I can attest, it will pulverize anything.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good to hear about the professional 500....it is there "newest". i did find it on the internet for less. my only hesitation was if i had a problem, how easy it would be to return it or get it serviced?

costco is going to have the 5200 all through california the beginning of september as a special vendor event. apparently they do this all the time. i called and they told me it would be just under $400.....which depending on the package could be a very good deal. however, i'm still leaning towards the professional 500: more power and apparently does not heat up and the motor turn off to cool down as reported by users on the internet.

i like the professional 500 also because of the 3 auto settings........

i so want to make Anjo Blanco, a spanish garlic soup that i've had in restaurants!

MoZo

ps what got me on this vita blender kick was watching an episode of Made in Spain.....! no more peeling garlic! blend ingredients and then heat them for sauces! and i'm thinking of making cat food, too!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, after calling Vita-Mix this a.m. and watching a lot of demonstrations at Costco today, i bit the bullet and bought the 5200 for $396 plus tax. i think i got my $'s worth....

MoZo

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I don't have one, but I know someone who does (ex-BF's brother). His two brothers (one who is a chef) swear by it. One brother's son is also allergic to pretty much everything (peanuts, wheat, dairy, soy) so he uses the blender to make smoothies and sorbet and stuff too.

MZ, hope you like it! Let us know!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I also have the Vitamix!!! Love it. We make salsa, soups, vegie/fruit smoothies, almond/nut butters, grind dry stuff, protein shakes, etc.....and THE BEST Strawberry margaritas ever, so smooth and creamy!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
follow up Re: let's talk blenders, specifically Vitamix

ok, i bought the vitamix september 3,2010.....and due to a lot of reasons did not take it out of the box until january 7, 2011!!!!!!

i've made myself a smoothie with leftover cranberry sauce and greek yogurt with a handful of ice....yummy!

took 1/2 a loaf of semi-dried out sourdough french bread and made bread crumbs: turned out well...note to self: remove crust and/or make the cut up cubes smaller. also book says not to put more than two cups in at a time.

and last night i made a fab mushroom soup: creamy and wonderful flavor!

i watched the dvd that came with it......most can be seen on youtube.
the cookbookd is limited but a good source to compare how to use the vitamix for the application i'm planning to try.

my research has led me to believe that the dry jar is not necessary unless you're a really heavy duty baker into making your own flour....and you might already have another applicance that would do this?

i like the ease of clean up and i also like that the blades are fixed into the jar. no leakage!

i bought from costco because 1-the price was right 2-any problems i'll take it back to them.

note: some costcos sell the package for $20 less than i paid but when i checked it was the 48 oz jar rather than the 64 oz jar that came with my package. i like the 64 oz jar and i cook for only 2 people. i'd like to get a smaller jar one day.....there is a 32 oz jar that one can buy separately.

MoZo

ps its not nearly as noisy as i thought it would be. freaks only one of the cats out.....the others just look up and observe. highly recommend this "beast".

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Re: follow up Re: let's talk blenders, specifically Vitamix

movie zombie|1294599179|2818258 said:
ok, i bought the vitamix september 3,2010.....and due to a lot of reasons did not take it out of the box until january 7, 2011!!!!!!

i've made myself a smoothie with leftover cranberry sauce and greek yogurt with a handful of ice....yummy!

took 1/2 a loaf of semi-dried out sourdough french bread and made bread crumbs: turned out well...note to self: remove crust and/or make the cut up cubes smaller. also book says not to put more than two cups in at a time.

and last night i made a fab mushroom soup: creamy and wonderful flavor!

i watched the dvd that came with it......most can be seen on youtube.
the cookbookd is limited but a good source to compare how to use the vitamix for the application i'm planning to try.

my research has led me to believe that the dry jar is not necessary unless you're a really heavy duty baker into making your own flour....and you might already have another applicance that would do this?

i like the ease of clean up and i also like that the blades are fixed into the jar. no leakage!

i bought from costco because 1-the price was right 2-any problems i'll take it back to them.

note: some costcos sell the package for $20 less than i paid but when i checked it was the 48 oz jar rather than the 64 oz jar that came with my package. i like the 64 oz jar and i cook for only 2 people. i'd like to get a smaller jar one day.....there is a 32 oz jar that one can buy separately.

MoZo

ps its not nearly as noisy as i thought it would be. freaks only one of the cats out.....the others just look up and observe. highly recommend this "beast".

Greek Yogurt and cranberry sauce, huh? Now, that is creative.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am now in possesion of "date" paste and plan to make a date smoothie. i've also decided i want to purchase the 32 oz wet container. while the 64 oz is supposed to be able to handle as little as 1/2 cup of material to process, i'd rather have the smaller one for the times i make smoothies for myself. also, it will now fit under hanging kitchen cabinets if i decide to leave it out.

i've made a couple more soups that hubby has declared to be very good. i think i'll get a lot use out of this thing come summer!

MoZo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results