shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about sneakers. Trail and treadmill.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am looking for sneaker recommendations.

I need two pairs. One for treadmill and one for the trail outdoors.

I know Hoka and Brooks are two good brands. I know it depends on one's specific characteristics. I think I am neutral re I don't over or under pronate. I don't want too plush a sneaker as I want to feel the ground impact so to build bone but not too much so I don't wreak havoc on my knees/hips and feet. So a balance if you will between plush and responsive.

I took the Hoka quiz and see what they recommend for me but I am interested in hearing what you guys recommend for running sneakers for both the treadmill and the trail outdoors. Thanks.

calvin-and-hobbes-run-judith-d-burley.jpg

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I love Saucony. I think I have Saucony Guide. My dad (who is 71 and still runs up to 12 miles a day) also swears by Saucony.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I also recommend the Asics Gel Kayano. I wear them for bootcamp and casual wear. I am neutral as well. They were recommended to me by a woman in my bootcamp class that is a 7-ish mile a day runner and 5-day a week bootcamp attendee.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
If you can, try to find a running/sports shop in your area where they can make recommendations based on your foot and gait. I tried a few based on friends’ recommendations, but after going in (pre-COVID) I found the recommendations more comfortable for me (I ended up with the Nike lunar glide).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I'll be back later with suggestions. I am "running" out the door.... :)

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend the Asics Gel Kayano running shoes very comfortable but pricey.

I also recommend the Asics Gel Kayano. I wear them for bootcamp and casual wear. I am neutral as well. They were recommended to me by a woman in my bootcamp class that is a 7-ish mile a day runner and 5-day a week bootcamp attendee.

Hi Missy, Just a word of warning about the Gel Kayano's. I wore these many years back when I first started running longer distances. I trained for 3 marathons for which I never got to the starting line because I kept getting foot and metatarsal injuries when I got close to 20 miles. Then I talked to some running coaches and they suggested I get a bit more solid and slightly less cushioned shoe. Being on my feet for several hours on a more cushioned surface (the gel in the Kayano) although soft and comfy, forced the muscles in my feet to constantly shift and balance for an extended period. This led to the foot injuries. I know your walks can get long, so I highly suggest a more stable, possibly a tiny bit stiffer bottom so your feet muscles won't need to work as hard shifting and balancing for so long.

I ended up switching over to Newtons, which I definitely would not suggest for you. But Brooks are a good compromise on stability and comfort. Of course the style makes a huge difference too.

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
One thing to be cautious of - shoe models seem to change just about every year, and sometimes not for the better. I wore Saucony Guides for years and then suddenly one year they changed the model so much my feet were literally hurting when I ran in the new ones. So don't assume that just because a model is working for you that next year's model will too. Unfortunately, you just have to keep trying them out.

When I find a model/model year that I like, I buy several of them. Often I'll wait until the next year's model is out and then pick up a few of last year's model on sale.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Just a word of warning about the Gel Kayano's. I wore these many years back when I first started running longer distances. I trained for 3 marathons for which I never got to the starting line because I kept getting foot and metatarsal injuries when I got close to 20 miles. Then I talked to some running coaches and they suggested I get a bit more solid and slightly less cushioned shoe. Being on my feet for several hours on a more cushioned surface (the gel in the Kayano) although soft and comfy, forced the muscles in my feet to constantly shift and balance for an extended period. This led to the foot injuries. I know your walks can get long, so I highly suggest a more stable, possibly a tiny bit stiffer bottom so your feet muscles won't need to work as hard shifting and balancing for so long.

I ended up switching over to Newtons, which I definitely would not suggest for you. But Brooks are a good compromise on stability and comfort. Of course the style makes a huge difference too.

Thank you @LLJsmom! As always wise advice and much appreciated.

One thing to be cautious of - shoe models seem to change just about every year, and sometimes not for the better. I wore Saucony Guides for years and then suddenly one year they changed the model so much my feet were literally hurting when I ran in the new ones. So don't assume that just because a model is working for you that next year's model will too. Unfortunately, you just have to keep trying them out.

When I find a model/model year that I like, I buy several of them. Often I'll wait until the next year's model is out and then pick up a few of last year's model on sale.

Good advice and yes I do the same. If I love something I buy a few so I can have it for a while as I change my sneakers often. Thanks.

I recommend the Asics Gel Kayano running shoes very comfortable but pricey.

Thank you @donnabrsd and @jp201845. I am glad Asics works well for you. My DH likes Asics too.

If you can, try to find a running/sports shop in your area where they can make recommendations based on your foot and gait. I tried a few based on friends’ recommendations, but after going in (pre-COVID) I found the recommendations more comfortable for me (I ended up with the Nike lunar glide).

Thanks. I am going to try getting to the running shop this weekend and see what their selection is. I always find online has more of a selection but I agree there is no substitute for trying on the sneaker and checking it out in person. And getting the expertise of the salespeople. If I was in Brooklyn right now I know exactly where I would go but here I am not familiar with the store and the salepeople but hopefully there will be a decent selection.

I love Saucony. I think I have Saucony Guide. My dad (who is 71 and still runs up to 12 miles a day) also swears by Saucony.

Thanks @Mekp. I used to jog/walk in Saucony in the 80s and 90s. I liked them then so will see if they have them in the store.

HI:

I'll be back later with suggestions. I am "running" out the door.... :)

cheers--Sharon

Haha OK, which sneakers are you "running" out the door in now? :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Every shoe fits differently. Even in the same brand!!! Which is why I could never order shoes online.

My go to runner for everything are Mizuno Wave Riders. I have several pairs in different colors. Fit narrow-ish which is what I need.

I recently wanted to get a black pair of runners and tried on several brands but settled on Saucony (versafoam Nova 2). Fit like a glove and oh so comfy. And on sale, so bonus!!!

My sister has been running all her life and I'll ask her what she wears. She has a very very narrow foot so her choices are limited. Oh, she just said she wears Hoka because she loves the cushion.

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Every shoe fits differently. Even in the same brand!!! Which is why I could never order shoes online.

My go to runner for everything are Mizuno Wave Riders. I have several pairs in different colors. Fit narrow-ish which is what I need.

I recently wanted to get a black pair of runners and tried on several brands but settled on Saucony (versafoam Nova 2). Fit like a glove and oh so comfy. And on sale, so bonus!!!

My sister has been running all her life and I'll ask her what she wears. She has a very very narrow foot so her choices are limited. Oh, she just said she wears Hoka because she loves the cushion.

cheers--Sharon

Thank you Sharon. Hoka has a 30 day try period where you can return it if you don't like it. If I don't find anything good at the store I am going to try Hoka. But not too cushioned for me since I need to make an impactful step so will go for middle of the road balanced between plush and responsive.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LLJsmom! As always wise advice and much appreciated.

Good advice and yes I do the same. If I love something I buy a few so I can have it for a while as I change my sneakers often. Thanks.

Thank you @donnabrsd and @jp201845. I am glad Asics works well for you. My DH likes Asics too.

Thanks. I am going to try getting to the running shop this weekend and see what their selection is. I always find online has more of a selection but I agree there is no substitute for trying on the sneaker and checking it out in person. And getting the expertise of the salespeople. If I was in Brooklyn right now I know exactly where I would go but here I am not familiar with the store and the salepeople but hopefully there will be a decent selection.

Thanks @Mekp. I used to jog/walk in Saucony in the 80s and 90s. I liked them then so will see if they have them in the store.

Haha OK, which sneakers are you "running" out the door in now? :)

My purple Mizuno b/c they match my jeans!!!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Sharon. Hoka has a 30 day try period where you can return it if you don't like it. If I don't find anything good at the store I am going to try Hoka. But not too cushioned for me since I need to make an impactful step so will go for middle of the road balanced between plush and responsive.

My sister has osteoporosis (takes Prolia) and it has not advanced. She does Zumba and step classes so she uses her runners for a range of activities.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fav brand of sneakers is ASICS.
For my feet I've never found another brand that fits as well.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Brooks Ghost are a great neutral shoe... I personally love that I switched to Altra brand (zero drop). Now when I wear traditional running shoes I feel like I’m in heels! Hah!

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
When I was younger, they always told my mother that she should buy the shoebox rather than the shoes because my feet were so wide. I wear men's size 7.5 4E New Balance and I follow rungirl's plan, which is that when I find a model that fits me, I buy a whole bunch.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought 2 pairs. Went to Roadrunner sports and they did an analysis on me as I was running on the treadmill and also a still analysis. Turns out my foot is narrow and my right arch is higher than my left. Thanks to my accident probably my left foot also turns out a bit (right foot perfect) and I’m a heel striker. The salesperson was super helpful and I tried on for trail running and treadmill running and I got (drumroll please)

1. Brooks Ghost for trail running
2. Brooks Glycerin for treadmill running.

I also tried on Asics which was comfie too but she said because of my previous ankle break the Glycerin was better because it has more ankle stability/support.

She said Hoka won’t work for me because too much of a heel drop and would push me too far forward as I’m a heel striker. Something like that.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
I’m pleased with my purchases and you all helped me get there. ❤️

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
@missy I’m glad you were able to go in and get some personalized help! Good luck with the new shoes!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Glad you got what you needed! I wore Brooks runners for ages--they have very good products!

cheers--Sharon

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I use Saucony Kinvara. They’re not as long lasting as Asics, but they’re a bit cheaper so I buy multiple pairs. I can’t run in shoes with excessive heel elevation so it took some trial and error before finding a pair that worked.

Best bet is to try several brands at a running store.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@missy I was just going to suggest roadrunner sports, they have always been super helpful. I am glad you found two good options!

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
@missy
Let us know how the shoes work out for you. I’m also thinking about taking up running? (Light as in 1mile or less, mostly long walks) to be more serious about losing weight and working off my problem areas .

I’ll need to get comfy shoes too.
Good luck with your running!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@missy Brooks Glycerin are what I've been running in the past few years, and I've been super happy with them. I feel like they provide enough cushion for my joints, but not so much that I don't feel the road. If you do end up liking what you got, I second the suggestion to buy a backup pair.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like Brooks adrenalin gts series. I am not sure I can reliably recommend as I haven't shopped around much (about 10 years ago I started buying Brooks and I have never looked back. I've probably had 15-20 pairs of Brooks as I have been an avid runner for over a decade. I guess hence the slightly outmoded model, I haven't really switched it up much.) but they're a really nice shoe. I have quite broad feet though, and I appreciate the range and flexibility with the Brooks you can really actually fit the shoe properly to your feet. I have to say I've run with a bunch of orthopedic inserts and all sorts of cushioning sports socks (lots of injuries probably from repeated over use) but now I just use a thin sock and no inserts as it has been better. I also keep distances below 3-4 k though (I used to run 10-20 k a day but always re-injured eventually), I also try to switch things up as I tend to get less injuries if I use an elliptical or stepper some of the time. Or just do a yoga class instead. So that might be helping.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results