shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about my new 2.93ct OEC

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know the depth of the 4.11? I am a bit concerned that both the crown angle and the pavilion angle are steep (high), making them possibly not play well together. In your photos, we see straight through the entire table. Is that something you see in person, too?

EDIT: I have a visual ruler app and I measured and calculated, putting the arrow to where a pointed culet would end, because that is more accurate for figuring. The depth is 70.25. That’s quite deep. That’s why it doesn’t face up as big as you imagined it would.

No, you can't see it in person. Yes, I know the reason why it faces up small is because it is deep. And, yes, I already know the depth of a GIA graded stone. It is, in fact, not 70.25. I am actually quite familiar with OECs.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, you can't see it in person. Yes, I know the reason why it faces up small is because it is deep. And, yes, I already know the depth of a GIA graded stone. It is, in fact, not 70.25. I am actually quite familiar with OECs.

Nice. Your snark aside, it’s not 70.25 because of the large culet. In terms of analyzing performance, though, the missing space of the culet comes into play. This is Rocky Talky, not SMTB. If you want to resent information given to help, go right ahead. Enjoy your search. See ya.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Nice. Your snark aside, it’s not 70.25 because of the large culet. In terms of analyzing performance, though, the missing space of the culet comes into play. This is Rocky Talky, not SMTB. If you want to resent information given to help, go right ahead. Enjoy your search. See ya.

I do not resent the help but actually welcome everyone's opinions. But I do resent the condescending way that you have been this entire thread. I do not want to fight with you so I will not get into it but I do not appreciate it.

ETA: Since this is RT, I would like to present you with some information which you probably already know but I want to coincide with your pattern of a patronizing tone: OECs are not judged by numbers. How many times do we hear/read that about old cuts? All the time.

Last edited:

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see your thoughts on the one coming tomorrow as well. Old cuts are neat because they all have such distinct personalities. I am not very versed on what measurements are best for old cuts because it seems that it's so individual for each stone. Love to see the comparisons!

You always have such a great eye with antique cuts. The 5.13 will most likely be amazing, too. You're going to have such a tough decision to make!

FWIW, I say the bigger the better. Or sell a kidney and keep all the shinies. You don't need 2 kidneys anyways.

misscamels

Rough_Rock
I'm making an RT thread dedicated to the new stone so as not to keep bumping my preloved thread so that others can continue to sell their items without their threads being pushed further down.

Center: GIA 2.93ct M VS1
Sides: approx 1.20ctw
Center is about 9.10mm with 5.20mm sides if people were wondering about ratio.

Ok, so pics from the previous thread
IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IG video. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWGz1AelOK2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
For some reason, its a bit hazy like IG put a filter over it but I uploaded it different times but it did the same thing. It was hard to try to find good lighting so I'm on my balcony with an uninsured ring on that is too small for my fingers. To say I was nervous is an understatement. I used to live in a house with a private backyard but I recently moved to the middle of a city with no privacy so I'm lucky I even got these pics/videos! And I can't go out on the sidewalk cuz what if someone walks by and mugs me! That would really bum me out.

So, I'm 95% leaning towards keeping the ratio as is. I really thought I would want to pair it with the 2.34ctw sides I have but I really love how the center is the star and I have missed my original 3-stone. Like I said in the other thread, I was always planning on upgrading the center but didn't think it would be this quick! And I definitely thought I would pair the upgraded center with the 2 bigger sides but gah, I just love this smaller stone ratio!

Now, how do I set this baby... I love my original 3-stone setting but I happened to find out someone asked DK to copy it exactly but I know those are the consequences of posting on a public forum. Doesn't mean I have to like it! :lol::boohoo: But I still may go ahead with that design... I do have more room in the center to do as I wish so if anyone wants to post any pics of 3-stone ring designs they love, I would love you! :kiss2:

I was enjoying the ring and playing around with the stones but look what I found... 2 out of the 6 prongs on each side are not pushed down against the stone. I knew it was a temp setting and it was a flimsy one at that, but come on! Looks like they did make a little notch for the diamond to sit in but... eek!
IMG_2551.jpg
IMG_2550.jpg

The side proportion

misscamels

Rough_Rock
I'm making an RT thread dedicated to the new stone so as not to keep bumping my preloved thread so that others can continue to sell their items without their threads being pushed further down.

Center: GIA 2.93ct M VS1
Sides: approx 1.20ctw
Center is about 9.10mm with 5.20mm sides if people were wondering about ratio.

Ok, so pics from the previous thread
IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IG video. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWGz1AelOK2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
For some reason, its a bit hazy like IG put a filter over it but I uploaded it different times but it did the same thing. It was hard to try to find good lighting so I'm on my balcony with an uninsured ring on that is too small for my fingers. To say I was nervous is an understatement. I used to live in a house with a private backyard but I recently moved to the middle of a city with no privacy so I'm lucky I even got these pics/videos! And I can't go out on the sidewalk cuz what if someone walks by and mugs me! That would really bum me out.

So, I'm 95% leaning towards keeping the ratio as is. I really thought I would want to pair it with the 2.34ctw sides I have but I really love how the center is the star and I have missed my original 3-stone. Like I said in the other thread, I was always planning on upgrading the center but didn't think it would be this quick! And I definitely thought I would pair the upgraded center with the 2 bigger sides but gah, I just love this smaller stone ratio!

Now, how do I set this baby... I love my original 3-stone setting but I happened to find out someone asked DK to copy it exactly but I know those are the consequences of posting on a public forum. Doesn't mean I have to like it! :lol::boohoo: But I still may go ahead with that design... I do have more room in the center to do as I wish so if anyone wants to post any pics of 3-stone ring designs they love, I would love you! :kiss2:

I was enjoying the ring and playing around with the stones but look what I found... 2 out of the 6 prongs on each side are not pushed down against the stone. I knew it was a temp setting and it was a flimsy one at that, but come on! Looks like they did make a little notch for the diamond to sit in but... eek!
IMG_2551.jpg
IMG_2550.jpg

I love those proportions! The 5mm are big but balanced!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
A quick thought.

I have gone through the same issue of size v mm when considering do I want to actually get a "bigger" stone. If the 4.11 is almost the same size as the 2.93 and you like the 2.93's performance, is it worth the premium for a 4 carat stone?

That will be something to think about. While the 4.11 is a lower color and may be less per carat, you are probably still paying a lot more for it due to the size that isn't there face up to see. So, is the slight differnece in size- however many mm or tenths of a mm worth it for the cost increase? I won't tell you what I decided on my larger stone search, because it's really a personal choice and there is no wrong answer! Or, do you like the 4.11 so much that the cost premium doesn't bother you for the size you can't see? That could be the answer too.

I have 2 q/r stones. They both do seem to pick up more colors around them than my K/L/M stones and I don't know why. They are all nicely cut and all are lively, but the Q/R colors, as well as O-P, do something different in the light.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I do not resent the help but actually welcome everyone's opinions. But I do resent the condescending way that you have been this entire thread. I do not want to fight with you so I will not get into it but I do not appreciate it.

ETA: Since this is RT, I would like to present you with some information which you probably already know but I want to coincide with your pattern of a patronizing tone: OECs are not judged by numbers. How many times do we hear/read that about old cuts? All the time.

I personally did not read @Tourmaline ’s comments as anything more than helpful feedback on a very expensive purchase. Comments earlier in the thread seemed to also be sharing (quite genuinely) in your excitement and the prospect of being able to compare multiple stones side by side which is a very rare opportunity!

Whether one has been “in the game” so to speak for a long time, there is always room to grow and learn.

This is also a diamond forum where we are all here to learn from experts, whether they are hobbyists or professionals. I personally learned something from her comments.

I am only weighing in as I believe @Tourmaline has contributed an enourmous amount of time and effort coaching people here to help them make great purchases with old cuts, which are notoriously tricky and the market is riddled with duds. I do not want disparaging remarks to discourage her from providing such valuable knowledge in the future.

I also want to add that I don’t think her assistance should’ve reflected negatively on your own depth of knowledge, @Spring Day , as you immediately come to my mind as someone with an incredible eye for cuts too. I’m sure you’ve remembered I’ve tagged you in posts as I know your opinion is also extremely valuable!

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
I 300% agree about not being able to judge OEC's by the numbers and even by the pictures.

I bought a few stones in the last few months for various projects (pendant, RHR, etc.) and they looked gorgeous in vendor pictures, but turned to be real duds IRL - nailheads and lack of fire all around.
You have to see them with your own eyeballs to be able to decide... no pictures or other people's opinion can help there.

Also there's this magic about old cuts - some just speak to you and some don't.... there's no way to explain it sometimes.

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stones. Thank you for sharing these.

For me it is a tough call regarding the 2.93 and the 4.11. I prefer the 2.93, especially in pictures, since it looks more crisp and distinct. As my eye is drawn to the OECs, 2.93 looks more pinwheel to me whereas the 4.11 is slightly more blocky. I do have a soft spot for contrast, and 2.93 has on-off facet play that is more to my taste.

In the videos, though, the 4.11 displays better to me than it does in still photography. The reflecting of surrounding colors you note might play into that too. I quite like the patterning of the 4.11 under the crown, very kozibe pretty. I can envision how there may be a warm charm to 4.11 that comes across in person. And as others have stated, these old cuts are very particular and personal. Best wishes with your OEC journey. :)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
@Spring Day , did you get the 5.13 yet? How’s the decision process going so far? :)

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I’m at work but don’t want to be. I’m hiding in a corner so I’ll personally respond to everyone when I get home. The 5.13 was as I expected, leaky. At first, I couldn’t get over how huge it was. It’s a freaking monster. She is now back with sincity. The 2.93 3-stone has also gone back to its daddy, and the 4.11 is back with Ilya. I have another stone coming that I really hope checks all the boxes. It has the color I want at M and hits the 10mm mark.

8B854B8B-2936-4FC0-B572-BA4A73802F34.jpeg

Video of everyone. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWmZrQvpVsn/?utm_medium=copy_link

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m at work but don’t want to be. I’m hiding in a corner so I’ll personally respond to everyone when I get home. The 5.13 was as I expected, leaky. At first, I couldn’t get over how huge it was. It’s a freaking monster. She is now back with sincity. The 2.93 3-stone has also gone back to its daddy, and the 4.11 is back with Ilya. I have another stone coming that I really hope checks all the boxes. It has the color I want at M and hits the 10mm mark.

8B854B8B-2936-4FC0-B572-BA4A73802F34.jpeg

Video of everyone. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWmZrQvpVsn/?utm_medium=copy_link

Wow how fun to see them together! It’s like Cinderella! But it did seem like they weren’t the right fit…not yet anyways!

Curious to see what you found instead! Hope it’s your glass slipper ::)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My search has come to a halt. I saw the 4.41 that Ivy and Rose has but it didn't quite do it for me. And I don't see any other contenders. I'm thinking maybe instead of upgrading I'm just gonna go buy a Tesla.

Um, that’s a pretty cool backup plan! One day I hope to have a Tesla too! :kiss2:

The “one” will come along one day, I’m sure. It’s so much money, you want your socks to be knocked off!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Um, that’s a pretty cool backup plan! One day I hope to have a Tesla too! :kiss2:

The “one” will come along one day, I’m sure. It’s so much money, you want your socks to be knocked off!

Yes! I need to figure out if I want the long range or performance and in what color.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Haha of course not, the blasphemy! I have studs in the works and a 5-stone OEC ring coming this week.

Its gonna be my original 3-stone in stud form. 7.7mm each.

5A512D4E-070B-4669-A9E9-E1BDE0C09032.jpeg

Oh wow cannot wait to see those! Are they oecs as well? You have been holding out on us. Also can't wait to see the five stone.

Yes! I need to figure out if I want the long range or performance and in what color.

Get orange. I've always wanted a burnt-orange-colored car. No clue if it's even an option. If not, guess you'll just have to spring for a new paint job. Kthx

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yup! It’s here! And I also bought the pronged 5 stone Diana posted yesterday. I can’t wait until I get it and the studs!

I loved that ring. And we need photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results