shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's Have Some Fun With "Capri"

Soseattle

Shiny_Rock
Last December I purchased a special Sea of Cortez pearl as a Christmas/birthday (January baby) present for myself. I had admired her for awhile and felt a strong connection to her from the moment I saw her. When there was a sale, I pulled the trigger and she's mine. :mrgreen: Turns out she was grafted the day before my birthday in 2020. Maybe that's the connection. Since we are both Capricorns, I call her "Capri". Some of you might recognize her as one of the top 10 pearls from the 2021 harvest.

I am now working with a local jeweler to come up with a pendant setting that highlights her, but is not just sticking a cap on the top and calling it good. The jeweler came up with the following 4 designs based on a couple rounds of discussions. To be honest, I really like all of the options but thought it might be fun to have some input from others too. The designs incorporate a 3.5mm diamond that I got in the past for another project, but didn't use. Option "A" would repurpose an existing Art Nouveau pendant. The jeweler's photo of "Capri" is dark and not great, but OK for design purposes for me. The first photo shows more realistically what she looks like.

perla2top10-scaled resize.jpg

202206031212401654283768.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
For some reason, I picture the pearl lengthwise on a chain, like a horizontal bead.

But I like all the examples above too. Especially the first one. If the lower pendant on it was detachable, it might be more versatile as far as what type of necklines it would go with too.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like B best (hey, that should be a non-idiomatic White House slogan) -- the sinuous nature of the snake works best with the rounded but "hammered-looking" finish of the pearl, imo. (It's also the one I would be least likely to come up with on my own if you just posted the pearl and design objective.)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly recognize it and I’m glad to see it go to another PSer :))

Okay, so, design. My first thought is that A, B, and C/D are so *completely* different. Different eras - Victorian, Nouveau, Deco. Different functionality - double drop vs. single - that will likely impact wearability (I recall that this pearl is very large). Different forms - flora, fauna, neither.

My second thought is that only A makes clear how the pearl will be attached to the mount. With B, where will the drill hole be? With C and D - will there be two drill holes at the top or is the intent to have the pearl attached to a “back” - and if the latter, how will weight be distributed to avoid having it flop forward when worn? The two things to consider here are managing center of gravity and drill hole location (unorthodox drill holes mean you won’t be able to reset later on).

Last edited:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C and D are, for me, too linear for the texture and shape of your pearl. I like them both, just not for this. C brings in textured metal which I think could be good, but is snakeskin too textured for this pearl given it’s skin? (Sorry - I’m clearly feeling a bit Goldilocks today which isn’t helpful!).

How will A sit against your skin? Will the frame around the pearl sit against your chest or be centred around the pearl (so raised off your chest a little)? I can’t picture how that would sit with such a large pearl without rocking

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C and D are, for me, too linear for the texture and shape of your pearl. I like them both, just not for this. C brings in textured metal which I think could be good, but is snakeskin too textured for this pearl given it’s skin? (Sorry - I’m clearly feeling a bit Goldilocks today which isn’t helpful!).

How will A sit against your skin? Will the frame around the pearl sit against your chest or be centred around the pearl (so raised off your chest a little)? I can’t picture how that would sit with such a large pearl without rocking

Good point. If the frame is not sitting against her chest it’ll rock E/W, and the second double-drop charm will be dangling in mid air (assuming it’s flat backed) rather than pressed to the chest like you’d expect.

But if it is sitting against her chest the pearl will kick out super awkwardly with that short jump ring attachment at the top of the pearl.

Attachments

• 062C1166-E85E-4D81-AC05-DD7B110C6755.jpeg
    062C1166-E85E-4D81-AC05-DD7B110C6755.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit - d’you know who’s going to do the drilling?

Last edited:

Soseattle

Shiny_Rock
Edit - d’you know who’s going to do the drilling?
The jeweler said they can do the drilling.

Thank you all so much for the comments-you all rock! :dance: I'm getting some important information that I need to consider and check with the jeweler about. I am not really an expert on the structural aspects of jewelry construction. These are some excellent points to consider. That aspect of the project has not been discussed with the jeweler yet, but definitely needs to be.

Okay, so, design. My first thought is that A, B, and C/D are so *completely* different. Different eras - Victorian, Nouveau, Deco. Different functionality - double drop vs. single - that will likely impact wearability (I recall that this pearl is very large). Different forms - flora, fauna, neither
Yes, I completely agree. Shows my eclectic taste and sometimes lack of focus. :roll2: I am just exploring different possibilities. I want the design to be special, but am not sure exactly what I want yet. There are many things to consider.

Soseattle

Shiny_Rock
An update on this project.

I decided to go with the snake design. After talking to the designer I decided this would wear the best and I really like snake jewelry. The head of the snake will have the bail behind it and will hide the cap where the pin goes into the top of the pearl. Because of the size of the pearl there may be some rocking regardless of the mounting design according to designer.

Last week I went to go look at and approve the wax model. I am very happy. :bigsmile: The final shaping will be done after casting and finishing texture work of the scales is completed. oconnel31659203117.jpg

Soseattle

Shiny_Rock
So happy to see this, I’m late to the party , but as soon as I saw Snakey, I thought, WOW, it’s classic and whimsical all in one.

Thank you! :)) I agree-classic and whimsical is a good way to describe it.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I remember this pearl---it's beautiful! Thanks for the process update. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results