shape
carat
color
clarity

leon mege and less than 1 ct stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i am completely on board with you both fansynancy and sera. most salespeople are surprised that i don''t have the diamond yet but am looking for a setting :). i even had one salesperson who was surprised that i was interested in what the basket on the settings look like!! although she was prob one of the worst salespeople i''ve encountered so far - really uninformed and all the different features of a setting i was interested in (not very outlandish ones) she turned her nose up on. weird.

i have a beverly k floral ring that i absolutely love and everytime i look at it i like it even more. i want to get a ring that gives me that same feeling. i liked it the minute that i saw it but didn''t get it immediately. i kept thinking about it and went back to try it on and knew it was the one.

so far i''ve seen settings that i like but not ones that i still like after going back again except so far for the settings on LM site. but i haven''t tried one on yet :) so who knows.

i''m hopefully going to the jewelry mart in SF this week or next so maybe i''ll get a better idea or maybe i''ll be even more confused !!
41.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 3:13:09 PM
Author: nebe
I''m sorry but he sounds like such a snot!
38.gif

''not worth it''
29.gif
Uuuhhhhh......yeah. I agree. Thanks, nebe, for pointing it out...

LE

Rough_Rock
After reading some of the posts about Leon''s preference for larger stones, I just HAD to post in this thread. BF and I bought a beautiful 1.3 ct. diamond and decided to have Leon set it. He was WONDERFUL to each of us on the phone (on several occasions) and never once made us feel like the stone was too small. I didn''t notice any attitude, but I do think that he tries to be as efficient as possible when on the phone. Don''t hesitate to call him... he really is great to work with!

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 9:17:53 PM
Author: LE
After reading some of the posts about Leon''s preference for larger stones, I just HAD to post in this thread. BF and I bought a beautiful 1.3 ct. diamond and decided to have Leon set it. He was WONDERFUL to each of us on the phone (on several occasions) and never once made us feel like the stone was too small. I didn''t notice any attitude, but I do think that he tries to be as efficient as possible when on the phone. Don''t hesitate to call him... he really is great to work with!
I agree-he created my 1.2 3 stone and was a pleasure. Also, check out his website he has a new line of pretties for up to 2ct.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Leon created my 3-sided pave ring with my 1.3 asscher. He was very nice to work with, pleasant and professional and concerned about getting me something I would love. I got the feeling he works with all sizes of stones including the all-American average of 1 ct or less. Yeah, the big giant ones end up on his website and most people don't want a $5000 setting with a $4000 stone. But not everyone wants a giant chuck on their finger even if they can afford it.

However, some of the styles he creates are meant for large stones with a lot of structure and if someone loves one of those rings but only had a small stone Leon tries to gently tell the person their stone is too small for that style. That seems to be interpreted as Leon only wants to work with large stones. But if and when you talk to him tell him what size of stone you are thinking of and which settings you like and ASK him what he thinks of the combination. I think when he has gotten "snotty" it's because someone is asking for something that is out of his scope of work.

SuLi

Shiny_Rock
This is a really great thread...I''ve been wondering the same thing myself since his site skews to larger stones. My FI and I were talking about getting my ring re-set since there are some problems with the current setting, and I''ve been dreaming about Leon''s work.

Good luck with your stone shopping and decision!

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
fansynancy - so the ring i was inquiring about was the first one that mrssalvo posted

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=381

i emailed leon and he was very nice. he was going to let me buy the ring w/ a 7 day window to get a refund. i however, decided not to go this route as i don''t think it is the style for me and i would prefer an oec diamond.

but thanks for your help :)

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
33.gif

Date: 10/29/2007 8:54:21 PM
Author: tberube

I''m sorry but he sounds like such a snot!
38.gif

''not worth it''
29.gif
Sarcasm?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s very hard for a designer - who is also a benchman - to deal with people who maybe turn up and feel because they are paying $$ that they can have everything that they want - regardless of the technical possibilities or the fact that he may feel something isn''t going to work well or look good, but will have his name stamped on it.

Oooh, Pandora!

Those colored stone rings are incredible. I would totally consider one. Are they less expensive?

Nancy

Check out the Pokey Special! Leon found the stone and did the setting. IIRC it was about $5k for each - and that tsavorite is to die for.

The setting prices are the same I believe, the stones it all depends. A top-class ruby will cost way more than a diamond - someone on PS spent 15 months searching and finally bought a 1.04ct for over $10k. It was amazingly beautiful. Equally, you can spend $80k on a 2ct kashmir sapphire. Colour stones are not necessarily a ''cheap'' option.

However, there are lots of gorgeous stones that cost a lot less than that.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I just talked to Leon Mege yesterday about setting my 1 ct. Jubilee, and he was not snooty at all. We discussed two different halo designs of his because I was torn between the two. He talked to me about how each one would look, then when I said that I thought I preferred style number___ and that I might want to get sapphire/diamond bands to go on either side of it later, he was totally open to that and said he could also make the bands.

He then emailed me my quote, which was less than I have seen for semi-custom rings. I was totally impressed with him, and when I get my funds together, I am going for it!!!!

I think his thing is not so much not wanting to work with smaller stones, but integrity of design. Halo styles like what I am looking at work well with smaller stones and can be made to look simple and elegant, not flashy covered with tons of diamonds, if that is what you prefer. Think Endless Love from Ritani.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 9:21:06 PM
33.gif

Date: 10/29/2007 8:54:21 PM

Author: tberube

I'm sorry but he sounds like such a snot!
38.gif

'not worth it'
29.gif

Sarcasm?

NO NO NO!!! That WASN'T sarcasm! I was thinking the exact same thing as you!!! This thread gave me serious shrinkage...I was thinking: "what do you mean not worth it!!"
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results