shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon has the rock - should I tell him to shoot for 3 or go for 1?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IslandStone

Rough_Rock
Another update, in case anyone cares, as well as a request for opinions.

Leon Mege received my stone - a 1.50 carat round. Apparently, now I have to tell him what to do with it. Imagine that - who knew?!

I''ve always had an eye for a simple solitaire but recently, after seeing several of Leon''s 3-stone rings, I thought they were fabulous and began to consider that 3-stone style more seriously. Of course, now I can''t decide. Please help.

My 3-stone would be the round center with pear sides. My concern is that the ring would be too big or too wide - the ring wearer is a size 5.5. Do you guys think that a 1.5 center stone would make for too large/wide of a 3-stone ring?? And, regardless, would you prefer a solitaire instead?

All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I always vote side stones
2.gif

And I am a size 5.25 and don''t find mine very overwhelming, granted my stone is 1.30ct.

Does she have a preference? Personally, I could have made my fiance''s life much easier by saying I just wanted a solitaire, but personally, I don''t care for them on my hand. And plus, I wanted the extra bling-bling
3.gif
hehe.

So if there is a way to ask her what her preference is? That would be the best way!

Good luck, and we want pics when it''s finished!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I think that 3-stones are beautiful and the extra bling is always appreciated...I can''t wait to see what magic Leon creates this time!

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I would go for the side stones, you won''t regret it

I have a size 4.5 ring finger. My e-ring has a 1.03 center round center, two 40 point princesses and two .25 point trilliants. It is substantial, yet tasteful and lovely. It''s built like a Mac truck, too, and nothing like anything else I''ve seen here on Pricescope. I need to clean it in my new Salton Jewelry Spa and I will post pics.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say go for it. Are you having him craft it so that the settings are high up on the band so you can wear a regular flat band next to it should you choose to?

Man, Ican''t wait to see this!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey islandstone! so your rock is now in the hands of the master!?
3.gif
how very exciting!! i must say that i am more a fan of the solitaire myself BUT i have not seen anything from leon that i would dislike. i wish you the very best and hope you are comfortable with whatever you decide.........i really can't wait to see how the ring turns out!!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say go for the side stones. I am partial though, I have a RB 2.36 with pear side stones about .35 each and I have small fingers and it is not too wide at all. Leon is quite the master and will only make you a piece of art. Please post pics when he is finished with your masterpiece!!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphire sidestones
emsmiled.gif

emcat.gif
kitten

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Go for the sidestones. My ring size is 5.5 and I have a 1.5 carat rb too. I had mine set temporarily in a solitaire for a few months while I looked at settings (forever according to the DH). While I think solitaires are classic and lovely, I have to admit that I got a bit tired of it within a few weeks. Also, the band got a couple of little tiny scratches on it fairly quickly that drove me nuts. I think side stones will be great and not too large at all for that ring size especially if her fingers are fairly long.

IslandStone

Rough_Rock
Youngster, can you tell me what size/shape your sidestones are?

Also, for everyone else, do you guys have any suggestions for what size pear sidestones would fit well with a 1.5 rb (~7.44mm)?? Also, the center stone is an H&A, D color, VVS2 - is there anything I should keep in mind when looking for matching pears? For instance, color or clarity grades that I should stay with? What about cut of the pears?

Thank you so much for all of your input.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will be the voice of partial-dissent and chime in and say that it really depends on what LOOK you are going for. I don''t think any one of us can just say solitaire or side stone for your ring. It''s your ring. 3 stone ring is not a solitaire and vice versa. What are your thoughts on what type of ring says what? is this an e-ring? if so, maybe solitaire speaks more of engagement than 3 stone. or maybe not. if it''s an anniversary ring, maybe you want the 3 stone look ala de beers.

Honestly, I feel it''s very hard to think about going one way the whole time and then suddenly changing and going another without regretting it later. Think hard about what you wanted and what you have been wanting this whole time. Then make an educated decision, don''t give into ''oh i think it would look nice with side stones''...EVERYTHING looks nice with side stones! But make sure you will like that look when it''s done and won''t have regrets. Especially since this is a custom piece.

I have been tempted more than once to plunk some nice ACA side stones next to my ring and yes it will span my entire finger and be mega-blinged out and all that, but in the end I love my ring as a solitaire...it''s not to say that I will not purchase a 3 stone later or convert this ring...but for now I really like the ring as a solitaire and didn''t want to give into the ''bigger'' temptation I always have and compromise the setting I set out to have a few years back. When or if I ever make that decision, it will be a very concious one.

So whatever you do, it will be beautiful, but just make sure it''s an educated decision rather than a spur of the moment thought in the heat of the diamond-loving moment.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2005 12:14:2 AM
Author: IslandStone

the center stone is an H&A, D color, VVS2; is there anything I should keep in mind when looking for matching pears?
For instance, color or clarity grades that I should stay with?

I would definitely leave it to the jeweler to select matched sidestones and have them match the center for grades as well. The one thing left to decide here is how large you want them to look compared to the center. It is quite usual to ask for an see two or three options for sidestones when having a ring made. This can most likely be done even if the jeweler is not next door - Art of Platinum does provide pictures of their finished rings: it can''t be all that much harder to photograph the loose diamond between two pears (or just select a model for refference).

There''s plenty of room on the ring near the 1.5 cts round to add larger pear sides - all you need to do is ask
2.gif

IMO, D/E color and VS clarity would be super safe for the sides.

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
I agree with Mara and Valeria.

I also have a round brilliant centre stone that I intended to have set in a three stone ring. I have small fingers.
Once they put it goether for me, it just didn''t look right. The side stones were large baguettes (they looked like small emerald cuts) but the brilliance just didnt'' match. My stone is an ideal cut, colourless with a ton of fire and the side stones just didn''t match. Nothing sparkles like an RBC and if you have a great quality stone, it''s hard to get a match IMHO, For whatever reason, it didn''t work for me.

In the end, I saw a really unique solitare which I loved by Vera Wang. I wound up having it copied. It''s more than the stereotypical solitaire BUT the centre stone is the focus. It''s hard to expain but there is a small bezel UNDER the stone (which is prong set) covered in 3/4 carats of pave. From the top, you can just see a slight rim just BELOW the centre stone and it makes it look much more sparkly. It''s a solitaire technically but I have never seen another ring that is similar. If you could get a "unique" solitaire, maybe you will feel more comfortable.

I actually tried both rings on at the same time (different hand) and the thinner band of the solitare looked much, much better. The centre stone also looked much better.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a fan of sidestones...

Ohhhh... Kaleigh, can you post a picture of your ring. I think mine is going to be extremely similar and would love to see how it looks on someone elses finger!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I could but have''nt gotten a digital camera yet, I''m so bad. But just go to Tiffany.com that''s where we got it, It was an upgrade. Or someone else can post it for you. Sorry to be of no help!!

kbling

Rough_Rock
Kaleigh, is this your ring? BEAUTIFUL!!!

fancypearss.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and just for fun, this is what my ring would look like as a 3 stone. nice eh? very tempting, let me tell you...but again...i love it as a solitaire even more..for now!

2.gif
have fun!

3stonemarab.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kbling,
Yes that''s it!!! I just love it. Someday soon I will post hand pics, Nan''s going to help me!!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I love that ring!
I tried it on in Tiffany''s and at a couple of other places. It really fits so nicely. I just wondered what it looks like on someone else so I could have another view!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definetly go with what you''ve always wanted AND what looks best on your finger. Seeing photos and trying on the same thing are entirely different from one another. I''ve seen tons of rings online, like Tacori eng. rings, and have found in person they just don''t look right. Have you tried on three stones in person?

Personally, I think solitaires are better for eng. rings because they''re traditional and will be in style forever. Three-stone rings are so highly marketed that it seems like at some point, they just won''t be "in" anymore and for this reason, I see them better suited as a right hand fashion rings to wear for fun.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
sasha: I''ve tried on that Vera Wang before and it is stunning!!! Tacori has one, that is almost just like it, but the stone sits higher.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is the 3 stone but I guess it all depends. Have you seen the RB with pear side stones he has on his site? OMG.
30.gif
It''s beautiful. I think any design he does will be amazing and your soon-to-be will LOVE it!

Good luck.
35.gif

IslandStone

Rough_Rock
It''s a solitaire technically but I have never seen another ring that is similar. If you could get a ''unique'' solitaire, maybe you will feel more comfortable.
Exactly. I think part of what I find appealing with the 3stone is that it''s more design intensive than the solitaire. It has some extra flair that solitaires don''t have. Unfortunately, the gf won''t care too much for pave or anything too elaborate, so a 3 stone would be a way to add some extra style to the ring. I really like the classic Cartier solitiare but am at a loss for how to instruct Leon to add some of his magic touch to that classic design, so that it stays classic and delicate but has some extra sizzle or touch. Any ideas? Obviously, his claw prongs would be one way. And his overall craftsmanship is certainly remarkable, so maybe that''s enough. Uh-oh, I''m rambling now...

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
Appletini- The ring is supposed to be ready this week. I am crossing my fingers this is my "big" weekend. I am so excited!!!!

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 12:14
6.gif
2 AM
Author: IslandStone
Youngster, can you tell me what size/shape your sidestones are?

Also, for everyone else, do you guys have any suggestions for what size pear sidestones would fit well with a 1.5 rb (~7.44mm)?? Also, the center stone is an H&A, D color, VVS2 - is there anything I should keep in mind when looking for matching pears? For instance, color or clarity grades that I should stay with? What about cut of the pears?

Thank you so much for all of your input.
Sorry for taking so long to respond but everyone in my house is down sick and I''m head nurse! I actually don''t have sidestones in the sense of a traditional 3 stone ring. I went with pave and the Michael B crown lace setting.

IslandStone

Rough_Rock
I was afraid that you all would say that the decision really comes down to personal preference, though I was hoping that someone had a magic answer. I continue to go back and forth, back and forth, without being able to make up my mind 100%.

The pros of a 3stone:
1) Some added bling
2) Better showcases Leon''s craftsmanship
3) May help stave off diamond shrinkage for a bit longer than a solitaire would

The cons of a 3stone:
1) The pear sides may take away from gorgeous RB center stone
2) The 3stone is not the classic enagement ring setting

I appreciate all of the help so far, but if anyone wants to add to either of those two lists, please feel free.

One last question: is it possible to wear a wedding band flush against a 3 stone ring? Or does the wedding band become obsolete with a 3 stone ring? Curious....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Islandstone,
You should really discuss that with Leon. I was planning on having a ring designed by him and really wanted to wear a wedding band. He told me he doesn''t usually design matching bands because it will interfere with the design and suggests wearing a wedding band on the right hand. i still really wanted to wear my w-band on the same hand and he said we would discuss that "after" he finished the e-ring. Kalya 17 had him design her ring around an eternity band she already had and said after time the diamonds in the band were destroying her Leon ring. just some things to consider.
he is amazing, and for a Leon ring, a was willing to give up 2 rings on the same hand
9.gif

good luck, whatever you decide i know will be BEAUTIFUL
1.gif

youngster

Shiny_Rock
IslandStone, maybe I missed this in a previous post, but do you have any idea what the future Mrs. IslandStone would prefer? Has she ever dropped any hints or is this proposal coming as a complete surprise? Do you think she wants to wear her WR and ER on the same hand or that she wouldn''t mind wearing them separately (as those who have Leon Mege rings often do)?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Pear/RB/Pear with some of Leon''s beautiful claw prongs. Not that I''m partial to that look or anything.
2.gif
Hehe.
11.gif
Bling it on!
9.gif

TracyE

Rough_Rock
Interestingly, Leon is making the ring you are thinking about for me - its our 15th wedding anniversary and my husband is upgrading my engagement ring. To cut a long story short, I''ve spent months thinking about endless stone shapes and then whether a solitaire or 3-stone and finally decided that I liked the elegance and simplicity of the round centre with the pears on Leons website.

I''m coming with my husband to NY to pick it up in a couple of weeks but he has said he''ll try to send photo through today as its now finished. I have the same ring size as your girl friend and my centre stone is a bit bigger - approx 2.5 carat. If its helpful I''ll post it when I get it through ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results