shape
carat
color
clarity

Lemon and Lime Pie Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I accidentally posted a recipe for Easy Cherry Cobbler in the Christmas cookie thread and did not want to compound my error by deliberately posting another non-cookie recipe. However, when I was looking through one of my favorite recipe books (the ones where one jots down favorite recipes on blank pages), I found one for Sour Cream and Lemon Pie. I thought of Mara and thought I would post it along with my recipes for Easy Cherry Cobbler and Creme de menthe Brownies. Then I realized that a pie is not a Christmas cookie.

I decided that this forum really needed a thread for lemon and lime pie recipes. (When I write, "lime" I mean Key lime and regular lime, btw.) Somewhere my mother has a great lime pie recipe, too.

If there is already a thread like this, please tell me and I will link this one to it!

Sour Cream and Lemon Pie

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
3 T. cornstarch
1/4 cup lemon juice
grated rind of lemon
3 egg yolks
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 baked 9" pie shell
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped

1. Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add the butter, lemon juice, rind, egg yolks, and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Chill.

2. Fold the sour cream into the chilled lemon mixture and spoon into the baked pie shell. Chill well. serve topped with whipped cream.

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was growing up my mother made a pie that I loved using lime jello. She called it, "Key Lime Pie". When I got older, I realized that Key Lime Pie was really something a lot fancier than green jello, but I always loved this pie my mother made. My mother has a recipe for her pie somewhere, but she lives in Connecticut and I am currently in Virginia. I therefore used the ''net to look up a recipe that used lime jello for a pie. This one is close enough if not the same one with which I grew up. While I was looking for recipes I also came upon another interesting recipe that uses lime jello and yogurt. That one is even simpler than this one!

KEY LIME PIE

1 (3 oz.) pkg. Jello lime gelatin
1 c. boiling water
1-2 tsp. grated lime rind
1/2 c. lime juice
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 1/3 c. (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. aromatic bitters
1 egg white
Few drops green food coloring
1 baked 9-inch pie shell, cooled

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add lime rind and juice. Pour slowly into beaten egg yolk, stirring constantly. Add condensed milk and bitters. Chill until slightly thickened.

Beat egg white until stiff peaks will form. Fold into Jello mixture. Add food coloring. Pour into 9-inch pie shell. Chill until firm, about 3 hours. Garnish with lime slices or prepared whipped topping, if desired.

Deborah
34.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What if this were a thread ALL ABOUT lemon and lime dessert recipes, not only pie??!! That would be SWELL. I have a fantastic key lime parfait recipe (and the lime meltaway cookie recipe) but neither are technically pie (cuz I never make pie!).
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2007 4:49:19 PM
Author: FireGoddess
What if this were a thread ALL ABOUT lemon and lime dessert recipes, not only pie??!!

That would be awesome!

Deb
34.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
This one is lime based....

Margarita Pie

Prep Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 45 MinutesYields: 8 servings
"A great twist on the lemon no bake pie. A fluffy lime filling in a pretzel crust."

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups crushed pretzels
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup white sugar
2 limes, zested and juiced
¼ cup tequila *optional
1/8 cup orange juice
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl, combine crushed pretzels, melted butter, and sugar. Press mixture into a pie pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, orange juice, tequila and sweetened condensed milk. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon filling into pretzel crust. Chill pie for 25 to 30 minutes. Freezing works well.

Can be doubled and put into 9X13 dish.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2007 4:57:05 PM
Author: IslandDreams
This one is lime based....

IslandDreams, that recipe looks wonderful! I love lemon and lime, but I also used to love Margaritas back in the days when I drank! The salt on those pretzels must really do the trick in convincing you that this is not your ordinary sweet lime pie! If I make the pie, though, I should hold the Tequila!

Deb
34.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Key Lime Parfaits

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
1 cup chilled whipping cream (most of the time I cheat and use fat free cool whip)

Melt butter in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Mix in sugar and stir until bubbling, about 1 minute. Mix in crumbs; stir until color deepens, about 3 minutes. Turn out onto plate and cool.
Stir condensed milk, lime juice and lime peel in large bowl to blend (mixture will thicken). Using electric mixer, beat cream in medium bowl until firm peaks form; fold into lime mixture.
Place 1/4 cup lime mousse in each of six 8- to 10-ounce wine goblets. Top each with 1 tablespoon crumb mixture, then 1/4 cup mousse. Top parfaits with remaining crumb mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

*I have also just made this as a pie by pressing the graham cracker mix into a pie plate and putting the parfait in as a filling.*

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lime Meltaway Cookies

This recipe comes from Martha Stewart Living Magazine, almost 7 years ago. Delish! While you can substitute the lime zest and juice with lemon, I gotta believe that jailbird had a reason for going with the lime.
2.gif

12 TBS ( 1 ½ sticks) butter, room temp.
1 Cup powdered sugar

Zest of two limes

2 TBS freshly squeezed lime juice
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour + 2 extra TBS.
2 TBS cornstarch
¼ tsp. Salt

1. Cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar in a small to medium bowl until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.

2. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.

3. Between 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper (or wax paper), roll dough into one 2 to 2 ½ -inch-diameter log. Chill in freezer at least 1 hour (can store logs in freezer for several weeks). Can roll into two smaller logs, but makes smaller cookies.

4. Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from log; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze any remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container.

ETA: Don''t even think of not coating them in powdered sugar at the end...they''re not very sweet otherwise!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results