shape
carat
color
clarity

Left Labels Right as Racists

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting article, Red, and worth the read. I'll have to take the time at some point to read it more carefully.
A comparison to McCarthy is better than a comparison to Hitler. Ha!
That really wasn't my major take away. More compelling is the different ways Americans view the radical Islamic threat and how it should be met.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1472582583|4071522 said:
T, surely you don't think Media Matters is a balanced publication?

As balanced as the Federalist, the Daily Caller, Fox News, Briebart, yup I'd say quoting any of these which side of the fence one is on.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
T, don't you think that it is intellectually dishonest to only consider the ideas of those who agree with you?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1472669197|4071963 said:
redwood66|1472596964|4071608 said:
I did not want to start another thread and this is the most logical place for this link. It is long and quite in-depth comparing McCarthy and Trump.

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/trump-and-his-enemies/

A conservative think tank? no thanks Red.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont_Institute

I realize what it is. So? No different than all the links to the NYP and HuffPo and liberal think tanks here on PS. I am who I am and you are who you are. You don't have to read it. Others will appreciate a bit of diversity.

:wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was on vacation when AnnaH posted the OP article.

I do feel that liberals shout racism to shut down the other view. It happens here and IRL. It is a cop out and an easy way to join with others to cause a conservative's view to be marginalized. Just because someone thinks personal responsibility should be taken by others does not mean they are a racist. As I have said before, I do not push my morals on someone else, but by that same token do not expect me to take on the mantle of Black Lives Matter or other agendas that I do not agree with and personally find reprehensible. This does not make me a racist. Liberals would do well to try to understand the minds of conservatives just as the other way around is prudent. The article was about conservatives and it got turned into a Trump is a racist thread.

Jared Taylor is an intelligent man with whom I happen to disagree on things. I do not think he is a racist. Others may feel differently. I have read some of his work and he is too far right to fit in with the current world but he makes no apologies for it. However I recently discovered William Voegeli and I agree with much of what he writes, to the chagrin of many here I am sure.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another comparison of liberal and conservatives. I can remember when I was young having such high ideals and wanting to be someone that made a difference. Reality and growing up to the real world set in at about 28.

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/left-right-and-human/

Excerpt:

The main thing, it is said, is to make sure the main thing is always the main thing. As the word implies, conservatism is a worldview embraced by those who believe that the main thing is to conserve that which deserves perpetuation, but which is less than fully capable of fending for itself. American republicanism needs to be conserved against its enemies and self-destructive tendencies. The conserving conservatives undertake, however, must also continuously reconcile the claims of universal truths, such as the self-evident ones in the Declaration of Independence, with the well-being of the particular regime that is the vehicle by which a particular people seeks to adhere to those truths. “Is there, in all republics, this inherent and fatal weakness?” Abraham Lincoln asked in 1861. “Must a government, of necessity, be too strong for the liberties of its own people, or too weak to maintain its own existence?” To prevent government from becoming either dangerously weak or strong, to ascertain and implement the least bad accommodation of universal principles with the security and happiness of a particular citizenry, is never easy and rarely gratifying work, a duty no one would assume without being convinced of its absolute necessity.

The same cannot be said of liberalism. Its main thing is to make the world a better place, which it pursues in the optimistic belief that progress accords with human nature and historical destiny, meaning that all progress up to this point is irreversible, rather than something tenuous we need to worry about conserving. In its hopefulness, liberalism is highly appealing. In its apprehensions, conservatism is far more plausible.

Edward Kennedy spoke at the memorial for his brother Robert by quoting him: “Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not.” It’s bad form, even 46 years after the fact, to heckle a eulogy. But seeing things as they are, and trying to make sense of why they are that way and not some other, really is very important. It’s a disposition that ought not to be denigrated, especially by those who dream things that never were. If the dreamers would spend more time sitting at the conservatives’ table they might comprehend, if they cared to, why things that never were, never were. And if it turns out that certain things never were for good reasons, trying to turn those dreams into realities might end up being, not noble and idealistic, but mad and ruinous.

The Kennedy speechwriters (JFK had used the line, too) may not have informed their employers that they were paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw: “You see things; and you say ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say ‘Why not?’” The line appears in Shaw’s play Back to Methuselah. The speaker, addressing Eve in the Garden of Eden, is the serpent. “Everything is possible,” he goes on to assure her. “Everything.”

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1472686430|4072036 said:

I do feel that liberals shout racism to shut down the other view. It happens here and IRL. It is a cop out and an easy way to join with others to cause a conservative's view to be marginalized. Just because someone thinks personal responsibility should be taken by others does not mean they are a racist. As I have said before, I do not push my morals on someone else, but by that same token do not expect me to take on the mantle of Black Lives Matter or other agendas that I do not agree with and personally find reprehensible. This does not make me a racist. Liberals would do well to try to understand the minds of conservatives just as the other way around is prudent. The article was about conservatives and it got turned into a Trump is a racist thread.
What other topics can the Dems talk about that would be a positive for HC?.. :read:

The slow growth economy?. :silenced:
The Clinton Foundation scandal?. :silenced:
Her secret Emails?. :silenced:
Her foreign policies?. :silenced:
National security?. :silenced:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1472690339|4072064 said:

What other topics can the Dems talk about that would be a positive for HC?.. :read:

I'm game on all of them. Feel free to start a new thread.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1472677278|4072000 said:
T, don't you think that it is intellectually dishonest to only consider the ideas of those who agree with you?

A, what makes you think I have not? I think that is a huge supposition on your part.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1472699189|4072120 said:

Then HC should hire you as her campaign manager, b/c she don't have any good answers to those 5 topics. Why do you think she have been avoiding press conferences for so long?. She's leading in the game/polls so she's just trying to run out the clock. Tuesday, Nov. 8 can't come soon enough for her.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1472710573|4072153 said:
Tekate|1472699189|4072120 said:

Then HC should hire you as her campaign manager, b/c she don't have any good answers to those 5 topics. Why do you think she have been avoiding press conferences for so long?. She's leading in the game/polls so she's just trying to run out the clock. Tuesday, Nov. 8 can't come soon enough for her.

She doesn't need me, she is doing fine by herself. It's frustrating when one has strong views and another has the opposite, it's like whack a mole with her and republicans.. Slow growth? All the world has had slow growth with the US doing better than most countries.. the huge recession remember..

The Clinton Foundation scandal.. like I said, it's not the first time I have ever seen non profits give large donors preferential treatment, it's part of life, I have yet to see anyone of the conservatives here state what the foundation has done? what did the Foundation do that affected Obama and is decisions?

Her secret emails? or personal emails? Who said they were secret, that is spin, she says they were personal, or repetitive.

I don't know about her foreign policies as she worked for Obama, so if you mean his policies, I didn't always agree with him, especially on the mideast, but I don't know what a republican would do? Bush wasn't a stellar foreign policy guy...

National security? I think she has done fine. So rather than veiled ad hominen slights, what will Trump do for America? I've yet to discern anything of real thought on his part.

added after :) why won't Donald Trump release his tax returns? could he have something to hide??

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
T, trump should release his tax forms, but I understand why he doesn't. No matter what they show, the liberal mainstream media would pick his records apart. Romney had nothing to hide, yet they managed to make him look bad.
Only personal emails were deleted? I didn't know anyone believed that lie anymore.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1472689366|4072056 said:
Here is another comparison of liberal and conservatives. I can remember when I was young having such high ideals and wanting to be someone that made a difference. Reality and growing up to the real world set in at about 28.

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/left-right-and-human/

Excerpt:

The main thing, it is said, is to make sure the main thing is always the main thing. As the word implies, conservatism is a worldview embraced by those who believe that the main thing is to conserve that which deserves perpetuation, but which is less than fully capable of fending for itself. American republicanism needs to be conserved against its enemies and self-destructive tendencies. The conserving conservatives undertake, however, must also continuously reconcile the claims of universal truths, such as the self-evident ones in the Declaration of Independence, with the well-being of the particular regime that is the vehicle by which a particular people seeks to adhere to those truths. “Is there, in all republics, this inherent and fatal weakness?” Abraham Lincoln asked in 1861. “Must a government, of necessity, be too strong for the liberties of its own people, or too weak to maintain its own existence?” To prevent government from becoming either dangerously weak or strong, to ascertain and implement the least bad accommodation of universal principles with the security and happiness of a particular citizenry, is never easy and rarely gratifying work, a duty no one would assume without being convinced of its absolute necessity.

The same cannot be said of liberalism. Its main thing is to make the world a better place, which it pursues in the optimistic belief that progress accords with human nature and historical destiny, meaning that all progress up to this point is irreversible, rather than something tenuous we need to worry about conserving. In its hopefulness, liberalism is highly appealing. In its apprehensions, conservatism is far more plausible.

Edward Kennedy spoke at the memorial for his brother Robert by quoting him: “Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not.” It’s bad form, even 46 years after the fact, to heckle a eulogy. But seeing things as they are, and trying to make sense of why they are that way and not some other, really is very important. It’s a disposition that ought not to be denigrated, especially by those who dream things that never were. If the dreamers would spend more time sitting at the conservatives’ table they might comprehend, if they cared to, why things that never were, never were. And if it turns out that certain things never were for good reasons, trying to turn those dreams into realities might end up being, not noble and idealistic, but mad and ruinous.

The Kennedy speechwriters (JFK had used the line, too) may not have informed their employers that they were paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw: “You see things; and you say ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say ‘Why not?’” The line appears in Shaw’s play Back to Methuselah. The speaker, addressing Eve in the Garden of Eden, is the serpent. “Everything is possible,” he goes on to assure her. “Everything.”

I think this is an interesting piece, because it can state philosophically what should be natural divisions say in two political parties. I would say I'm socially liberal, fiscally conservative, and into environmental conservation. Conservatives "conserve that which deserves perpetuation, but which is less than fully capable of fending for itself." So based on this example, I maybe should be a conservative. I value the rights of native Americans to protect the lands that are now theirs. Without the self-sustaining ability of our air, water, and ground, the ecosystems, we would not be able to breath fresh air, drink unpolluted water, and grow crops and retain topsoil. To conserve that which we all depend, yet may not be able to defend itself (environment) is a worthy cause. Fiscally, in my time as a voter, while there has been cases of local Republicans I have voted for because they were a better choice, had more experience and were budget-minded, I have voted Democrat. I live in North Carolina. Our Governor Mccrory, and his Republican allies, have sold out the interests and health of its citizens and children for big business interests regarding allowing pollution, selling or developing of waterways, and making it illegal for us to even know what chemicals are being injected in the ground for fracking. He has sold out the right for each child to have a decent education by cutting and cutting public education funding. He has been fiscally irresponsible, both in allowing the state to be the target of lawsuits for environmental issues, but also for business avoiding NC because the "bathroom rule". So rather than standing for common sense, fiscal responsibility, and conservation of values that benefit everyone, the Republican party has become the party of big business, and religious right zealots. In the same way, the Republicans at the State and higher levels (as presidents) have a worse fiscal record than democrat records. Perhaps because they are more pro-war which = high expenditures, and the adherence to trickle down theory, where both big businesses and and rich individuals have their tax cuts significantly, which while is related to the increasing division in net worth between the extremely rich, and well, the rest of us, gives no benefit to the average citizen in salaries, job security, or overall economic growth. If Republicans truly valued the mores of being able to raise a family on a single salary, or even if both parents work and the parents want to take fmla, they want decent affordable healthcare, and a means for their children to get a decent education without having to pay for private schools. If they want a person to be able to create an small business without rules that put them at an unfair disadvantage to big businesses, then the Republicans should vote to ALIGN with those values versus fighting against them.

Frankly though, I think conservatism, is just a catch word, for "status quo". That is, to keep the people on top on top, and keep the people on the bottom down. I'd like to be proven otherwise.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1472738227|4072204 said:
T, trump should release his tax forms, but I understand why he doesn't. No matter what they show, the liberal mainstream media would pick his records apart. Romney had nothing to hide, yet they managed to make him look bad.
Only personal emails were deleted? I didn't know anyone believed that lie anymore.

A - that is exactly what the conservative press does to HC. Romney only hid his dislike of half of America, a rich elitist is how he came across, he was taped and caught, I thought at the time he was just fundraising and he may not have meant it as he's a Mormon and mormon's are unusually nice and kind but elections are expensive.

I believe what she said, she said her attorney's looked over all her email and they had deleted unnecessary and personal emails, what do you think she has hidden? what nefarious plans? email goes to someone, email comes from someone. The conservative press has been throwing mud and has some stick for years on the Clintons.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Tekate|1472752188|4072302 said:
AnnaH|1472738227|4072204 said:

A - that is exactly what the conservative press does to HC. Romney only hid his dislike of half of America, a rich elitist is how he came across, he was taped and caught, I thought at the time he was just fundraising and he may not have meant it as he's a Mormon and mormon's are unusually nice and kind but elections are expensive.

I believe what she said, she said her attorney's looked over all her email and they had deleted unnecessary and personal emails, what do you think she has hidden? what nefarious plans? email goes to someone, email comes from someone. The conservative press has been throwing mud and has some stick for years on the Clintons.

Not sure where you've been, T. The deleted emails weren't about yoga or wedding plans.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/31/latest-email-disclosure-is-just-more-proof-that-clinton-lied/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1472737121|4072196 said:
added after :) why won't Donald Trump release his tax returns? could he have something to hide??
He is too embarrassed to release his tax returns b/c the Clintons made more $$$ money than him . .. ;))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1472755894|4072331 said:
Tekate|1472737121|4072196 said:
He is too embarrassed to release his tax returns b/c the Clintons made more $$$ money than him . .. ;))

Ha! may be true, it's as believable as anything that has been said!

:appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results