shape
carat
color
clarity

Left Handed? Show me your setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Being left handed I find myself taking my ring off a LOT so I don''t bang it on things and damage the stone.I tend twords clutziness anyway.***sigh*** So, how do other left handers handle that? Do you take off your ring over and over? Do you have a low setting? Do you have the stone sitting high and proud and just pray it never crashes into something??Do you only wear your good diamond on special occasions and wear a band the rest of the time??

I''d like to see some "low" settings if you have them!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I am not left handed, but I wanted to wear my ring on my right hand, and I can''t. Since I am righty, it bangs into everything. So I have to wear it on the left.

Maybe you can wear your diamond on the right and wedding band on the left.....

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
I could do that but I like it on my left simply because I look there the most...that hand is in my face a lot more.
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I''m not a lefty but if it was me, I''d just make sure I had good insurance and wear that baby on the left hand, knocks and all. I''m sure a low setting or a bezel or halo setting would protect it more, though.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a lefty, but my mom is. Her first wedding set lasted about 10 years before the center stone popped out, and another 5 before she had to have them cut off they were soo thin in the back. Her next set needs major prong work after 10 years, and her new set was made like a tank
1.gif
, I picked it out. The first 2 had small diamonds, like 1/4ct. The new set is soldered, has channel set side stones, and a low set 6 prong head on a 1/2ct.

I would reccomend insurance, and regular check-ups so loose prongs and wear can be fixed before they become issues like they did for my mom. She wears her rings 24/7, so they get a lot of abuse. I recently bought her a plain wedding band to wear camping, gardening, etc, and that seems to help too.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the new set, sorry about the blurryness!

momsrings016.jpg

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a lefty and ended up changing the head on my e-ring as I felt it was too low and did not show off my center stone. I don''t wear my rings around the house, but so wear them pretty much everywhere I go! These pics aren''t the best, but you''ll get the idea.

bcring2.jpg

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Another view

bcring1.jpg

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a lefty and I do knock mine around some, I usually take off the rings when working around the house or doing things with my hands. I just had my diamond reset from a tiffany setting to one closer to my hand, but I still tend to knock it on things, us lefties tend to be a little more of a clutz, I know I am.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''m a lefty and I choose not to wear my e-ring when I know I''m going to be doing something hand-on but always wear my wedding band.

mellyjm

Rough_Rock
I too am a lefty and my setting is actually kind of high. I do bang it sometimes and recently I just had it repaired because I hit it hard enough to pull a prong away from the diamond. I usually wear my wedding set when I am out and about, but take it off when I get home. I think it just takes some getting used to. When the ering was being repaired, it was nice just wearing my wband without any worry!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a lefty, but I wear my e-ring on my right hand, so it amounts to the same thing. My stone is set low and is well protected. I do occasionally smack it on things, but not as often as I would have guessed!

Photo%20Library%20-%202085.jpg

regalada

Shiny_Rock
Another lefty here, I chose the Tiffany Etoile because I love the design but also because it''s so low and so secure that I don''t have to worry about the diamond so much. I do take it off as soon as I get home, but even when I''m out I''ve hit the poor thing as I was reaching for the car door a few times.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Impatientone, I think if I had that amount of bling on my finger the weight alone would remind me to be more careful with my hand.Beautiful set you have!Maybe my solution is to get more bling!!!!

Thing20f2, Insurance does definitely ease the worry some .
9.gif

diamondrnglover, I am most assuredly a clutz..not sure if it is because of the left handedness or not.My ring is always in jeopardy.

mercoledi,your setting is very pretty. It does look like it protects the stone nicely without being overly bulky.

regalada,do you happen to have a picture of your setting?

MustanGal, that set looks very sturdy!Your mom must love it! Very nice!

KimberlyH,that's exactly what I do now, just wear my old band most of the time. Always when gardening or cleaning.However I seem to bang the crud out of my hands all the time when I am out shopping.I never knew I was so graceless.LOL I'd like to be able to wear my ring at least sometimes.

mellyjm, you would think after wearing a ring on that finger for well over 20 years I would be used to it by now. Apparently I am a very slow learner. :)Glad you did not lose your stone when you bent the prong.That would have been a disaster!

I am glad to read that so far none of you has hurt your stone, only the setting. I can live with hurting the setting but I love this stone and do not want to harm it by banging it on something

I wore my old set all the time for over 20 years ,but the diamond was tiny and I never worried about it at all.I think the answer is insure,insure,insure and a lower profile setting!
Thanks all!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
vivian, I doubt my setting is what you''re thinking of, but I just wanted to let you know it does sit fairly low.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Actually Ellen ,
2.gif
I very much like your setting and it looks more well built than the cheap Tiffany style I put my stone in temporarily. It does seem to sit rather low which I do love.I really do like your ring a lot and I think it makes the stone "pop".
When I got this stone I wanted to make it into RH ring as I wanted the yellow to really show and wanted an old fashioned setting. Now that I have it I love too much and want to wear it on my left hand and retire my old setting. So I think I want some sort of solitaire type setting. Even though it is an M it faces up very white...almost too white for what I had in mind originally [so I am looking for an even more yellow stone as we speak! Heh]. I think this one would look good in white gold as opposed to platinum and I do not want yellow gold which is what my old setting is.

regalada

Shiny_Rock
Vivianv, I don''t have any that show how low it is on my finger, hope these help.

ringshl1.jpg

regalada

Shiny_Rock
One more.

IMG1448.jpg

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
regalada, thanks for posting the photos! Yours is a beautiful set! Is that called a semi bezel?? I really like it and it looks like it protects the stone fairly well and sits low.I can see this is going to take a lot more thought.

14.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I'm a lefty and my setting is medium.

I have posted it before (well actually irina did for me) and the picture is floating around somewhere. I'm not very computer savy so if someone wants to go into my previous posts and copy the photo here, I would not mind. Its under subject show me the ring.

I do bang it on occasion but I am aware its there.

I figure we bought it for me to enjoy so I enjoy it and thats what insurance is for.

I don't sleep in any jewelery though.

I did the first few years of my marriage but I dont' like to sleep in any jewelery. Even my plain wedding band.

My husband wears his 24 hours a day though.

When I get ready for bed, I take off my ring, let it soak in my cleaning solution overnight and then in the morning after I workout and shower, I put it back on.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Besides being a lefty, I''m also ridiculously absent-minded, so I never take my ring off.

I know better...If it comes off, it''s getting lost.

It''s on my finger 24/7.

I''ve only had it for about 6 weeks, but so far, so good. Doesn''t seem to get bumped or in the way. I''ve

never felt the need to remove it. Granted, it''s small and fairly low set. I figure I have a greater chance of loosing it than of cracking it...

But, needless to say, it''s insured!
6.gif

Here it is:

settingbbleftyx.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 8:00:25 PM
Author: vivianv
Actually Ellen ,
2.gif
I very much like your setting and it looks more well built than the cheap Tiffany style I put my stone in temporarily. It does seem to sit rather low which I do love.I really do like your ring a lot and I think it makes the stone ''pop''.
When I got this stone I wanted to make it into RH ring as I wanted the yellow to really show and wanted an old fashioned setting. Now that I have it I love too much and want to wear it on my left hand and retire my old setting. So I think I want some sort of solitaire type setting. Even though it is an M it faces up very white...almost too white for what I had in mind originally [so I am looking for an even more yellow stone as we speak! Heh]. I think this one would look good in white gold as opposed to platinum and I do not want yellow gold which is what my old setting is.
Thank you viv!

How big of a stone are you looking for now?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMGwishing0281.JPG

Here is my ring and I am left handed. I don''t bang it at all. It is set sort of low.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 11:55:46 AM
Author: Skippy123
IMGwishing0281.JPG

Here is my ring and I am left handed. I don''t bang it at all. It is set sort of low.
There she goes again, posting that stone that tries to pass itself off as a 2 carater.
20.gif

2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 12:21:03 PM
Author: Ellen

Here is my ring and I am left handed. I don't bang it at all. It is set sort of low.
There she goes again, posting that stone that tries to pass itself off as a 2 carater.
20.gif

2.gif
Awe, thanks Ellen. You made my day!!! You are always such a sweetie!

p.s. sorry for the thread jack. I do think a lower setting helps. Is yours high?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 12:21:03 PM
Author: Ellen

20.gif
It sure does a darn good job of doing so!!

I am a lefty and I don''t bang the ring around much, but I don''t wear it when I''m doing something laborious as it is a delicate setting.

fgpear108.jpg

redeemed

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hijack - but SKIPPY,

Whose setting is that?? It is just what I am looking for! Please share where you got it.

Thanks

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Ellen....I am looking no more. I purchased a little T/U round this week.It is just over a 1/2 carat. I love the light lemony yellow color of it, not a hint of brown, and it sparkles like mad!
It made me realize that I can't go under that 1/2 ct mark for any single stone ring again now that I have my 1.24 ct...it looks so small in comparison...but just what I wanted ..for now!!! It will make a lovely RH ring...once I determine what to do with it of course.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I really love all the rings shown here that's why it is so hard to decide what to do.I think I have pretty much decided to eventually get a slightly lower solitaire setting than this traditional Tiffany style one that sits so high.Still want a fairly narrow band. At least I have narrowed down a but what I want to do thanks to all of you!I have knocked it a couple of times the door jam while opening the front door so I am a clutz for sure!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
viv, I''d love to see pics of your newest stone!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2007 7:08:17 PM
Author: redeemed
Sorry to hijack - but SKIPPY,

Whose setting is that?? It is just what I am looking for! Please share where you got it.

Thanks
The designer is SES but I bought it from Solomon Brothers in Atlanta. I know a few PS'ers who bought from Solomon Brothers. Pearlman's has a nice selection of rings too! Sorry, I just saw this thread.
12.gif

FireGoddess, no, your ring looks like a 2 carat. You are so kind. ETA: I found your ring; I love the bands!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results