shape
carat
color
clarity

Learning Hearts & Arrows...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TimWA

Rough_Rock
So when you are looking at an IS image, do you want to see no clear or white parts? For example, both of these diamonds where listed in a different thread.

IS_AGS-6747303.jpg

IS_AGS-6747302.jpg

Which one would be viewed as better? Both seem to look good but the bottom one has those white bits at the ends of the arrows where the top one doesn't. The top one also seems to have darker arrows, does that make it better or is is a lighting or other variance of how the image was taken?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2005 11:43:50 AM
Author:TimWA

Which one would be viewed as better?
Both.

Try a search about 'ACA new line'. Recently 'John Quixote' from WF answered some similar questions explaining what's with the difference etc.

The all-red images come from diamonds with slightly twisted facets and there is virtually no visual difference - according to quite a few accounts that will probably turn up on a search for you too. I have not seen a line up of ACAs, but the facet treatment is familiar.

I suspect the slight modification of cut was meant to yield those all-red IS images (perhaps resembling the signature of the 8* cut?) but shouldn't be of much effect otherwise.

My 2c

PS: sure white is 'bad' under the 'scope, but not every bit has to be ousted. In rounds, the critical place to look for less intese 'red' as a detraction is under the table. Among these very symmetrical and optimized stones, there isn't much room for worse. Those that you picked are faultless in that respect.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the two images you posted are idealscope images used to determine light leakage (and at a somewhat advanced level...even more) they are not used specfically for determination of hearts and arrows.
the differences you are seeing are simply two different cutting styles giving subtle differences in overall ''personality''

here is a link about the two styles

TimWA

Rough_Rock
ahh! thanks both for the replies, looking at the link now :) Such a diamond newbie I am
7.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 11:51:54 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 12/14/2005 11:43:50 AM
Author:TimWA

Which one would be viewed as better?
Both.

Try a search about 'ACA new line'. Recently 'John Quixote' from WF answered some similar questions explaining what's with the difference etc.

The all-red images come from diamonds with slightly twisted facets and there is virtually no visual difference - according to quite a few accounts that will probably turn up on a search for you too. I have not seen a line up of ACAs, but the facet treatment is familiar.
Careful with the use of that word 'twisted' Ana. Facet twist is easily confused with yaw/azimuth shift or misalignment, which are horses of a different color. The finishing technique used with NewLine and Eightstar brings the angular relationships of crown facets closer together, but this is uniform. There is no 'twist' in this, unless the polisher is playing a chubby checkers record (is that joke way outdated?).

Belle linked a good section of our FAQ designed to answer the OP's questions about ideal-scope image differences.

Important to point out that Ideal-scope analysis is light return, while H&A analysis has to do with optical cut symmetry (I think that was mentioned too).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results