shape
carat
color
clarity

LD, FrekeChild, and other blue and blue/green gem lovers...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
As some of you may remember, I was/am on a search for a blue/green stone to set in a RHR. I was originally looking at tourmalines but have found that many are too dark or are not the color I desire. I have seen a few on ebay that may fit my requirements but am not sure on the quality/actual color of them and am a little more weary of buying them just to see the true color and shipping back to Thailand if it's not what I want.

I am thinking that I need to expand my search a bit. What CS would be the best to achieve this look? Should I stick with tourms? Look for spinels? Light blue/green sapphires? Although I am not a fan of emerald cut, I am liking scissor cut emeralds but I suppose I would not be opposed to an elongated oval. Setting would be likely 3-stone (5-stone if I need the extra finger coverage) with diamond sidestones. Again, budget is flexible (although obviously not unlimited) depending on what I need to extend my search to.

Here are a few examples of the color I would ideally love. You can see I am looking for the paraiba-type (but more saturated), irradiated blue diamond kind of hue:
_3180_0.jpg
_3181_0.jpg
_3182_0.jpg

freke_nambian_tourm.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: LD, FrekeChild, and other blue and blue/green gem lovers

Are you looking for a specific size?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1361223804|3383461 said:
Are you looking for a specific size?

Hoping to get at least 6mm wide...many of the ones I saw were 8x6

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nearly every tourmaline that looks like that in a picture (the scissor cut not Freke's stone) doesn't look like that IRL (more's the pity). I once went on a buying spree looking for exactly the same thing and was constantly fed up at receiving darker, less vibrant stones.

I know exactly what you're looking for and they're pretty rare. John Dyer had some but I haven't seen any for ages (mind you I haven't been looking). I used to look at AJS's inventory constantly but none are what you want even though they look like it in the photos.

Tan had the most gorgeous one but it was hugely expensive. I looked and looked and looked and when I went to buy it, somebody had got in before me and the killer was that it had been on his website for AGES!

I've got a suggestion for you ........... have you looked at Apatite? It can look Paraiba-like but it is a soft stone. Having said that, I do wear it in rings and in pendants so if you're soft on your jewellery it might be an option.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

LD|1361224839|3383484 said:
Nearly every tourmaline that looks like that in a picture (the scissor cut not Freke's stone) doesn't look like that IRL (more's the pity). I once went on a buying spree looking for exactly the same thing and was constantly fed up at receiving darker, less vibrant stones.

I know exactly what you're looking for and they're pretty rare. John Dyer had some but I haven't seen any for ages (mind you I haven't been looking). I used to look at AJS's inventory constantly but none are what you want even though they look like it in the photos.

Tan had the most gorgeous one but it was hugely expensive. I looked and looked and looked and when I went to buy it, somebody had got in before me and the killer was that it had been on his website for AGES!

I've got a suggestion for you ........... have you looked at Apatite? It can look Paraiba-like but it is a soft stone. Having said that, I do wear it in rings and in pendants so if you're soft on your jewellery it might be an option.

aw man isn't that the luck! I will put some of those cutters on my look list and start keeping tabs. I had thought about apatite (and almost typed it above) but was concerned with the softness in a ring, even though it would be an occasional wear piece. I do like the glowy look of it but I am afraid that my clumsiness would get the better of me.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mmmmm well if you're clumsy then it may not be the stone for you which is a real shame. How about a pendant??????

Just to whet your apatite (pun intended), here's one on the left compared to a Paraiba on the right.

paraiba_apatite_1_1.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm afraid to say that while the color is out there in limited quantities, it will cost you. That is a most coveted color and imo, rare.

I've seen stunning and lovely apatite much more frequently and it could make a great stand-in. But it is very soft as LD said. LD is gutsy when it comes to taking chances with soft or brittle stones in rings, but it is risky.

You won't find a sapphire or a spinel any where close to that color, so you really don't have many choices. Here's a thought: some of the prettiest tourms close to that color that I have seen have come from Michael at Litnon. I would first check out what he has, and then ask him about rough and cutting something for you. Barry has had beautiful Namibians in the past very close to that shade (Freke, NKOTB, MTG and several others have them from him), but he was saying his supplier was having fewer and fewer. But he's worth a try. Finally, I had one cut a few years back by Jim Rentfrow and he plowed through several attempts at rough trying to get the right thing for me. He would cut you a beauty (mind you, so would the others), but he will likely be a bit more pricey too.

Good luck and I'll try to keep my eyes open for you. Please don't fall for those amped up ebay pictures though!

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock

We went through about six stones before we found the right tourmaline for my e-ring. I agree that this is a particularly hard colour to capture accurately in photos - this one does not do it justice and makes it look slightly dull and greyish, but in real life it has a rich teal/peacock hue.

I know the popular recommendations are for Brazilian and Namibian tourmalines when you think blue/green, but mine's Nigerian (1.68ct / 6mm x 8mm) and untreated. Couldn't be happier with it and I constantly have complete strangers coming up to me and asking me about it because they could see the colour across the room.

greenbling2.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

I love pendants but I'm afraid that if I were to get ahold of a beauty like one of FrekeChild's or MTG, I would want to look at it all the time!

minous thanks for those suggestions. I remember you were very helpful in my last thread ::) I'll start reaching out to some of those cutters! Gonna go take those ebay ones off my watch list now so I won't be tempted... :halo:

Mystic that is gorgeous! Where did you find that one?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh, Mystic, I remember your ring from the Show me the Ring thread! I love your stone and your ring. You did an excellent job fancying it up, but yet still having the stone be the star. Stunning.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pandabee|1361227327|3383522 said:
I love pendants but I'm afraid that if I were to get ahold of a beauty like one of FrekeChild's or MTG, I would want to look at it all the time!

minous thanks for those suggestions. I remember you were very helpful in my last thread ::) I'll start reaching out to some of those cutters! Gonna go take those ebay ones off my watch list now so I won't be tempted... :halo:

Yeah. I sort of regret putting my Barry Namibian tourm into a pendant. I never wear it ...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1361228254|3383541 said:

Yeah. I sort of regret putting my Barry Namibian tourm into a pendant. I never wear it ...

aww that's too bad! You should! I had to dig up your old posts as I wasn't active on PS when you first posted it. As a sidenote, I *love* your VC/LM wedding set!!! :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd probably ask Barry first, since he seems to have had the most (at least, he's been posting the most) and see what he might be able to dig up for you. Are you stuck on the elongated shape? Gene Flanigan, Peter Torraca, or Barry might have the rough and could probably cut one for you, but you might have to be flexible on the shape/size.

Barry has this emerald right now, but I'm guessing it's too green:
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=139&idproduct=3859
And this one is probably too green too:
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=139&idproduct=4343

Precision Gem:
http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/rapidcart/greentourmaline.html

Peter (I always email him! He always has more than is on his site):
http://www.torraca.net/gems.php?search=recent&for=recent

Jeff Davies' pinterest board for tourmalines:
https://pinterest.com/jeffdaviesgems/tourmaline/

I think for that color, I'd probably stick to tourmaline. Sapphires are usually going to have that kind of gray mask, spinels aren't typically a blue-green, and I can't think of anything else that's got that kind of color. As others have said, maybe apatite if you're not too hard on your rings?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild|1361229518|3383571 said:
I'd probably ask Barry first, since he seems to have had the most (at least, he's been posting the most) and see what he might be able to dig up for you. Are you stuck on the elongated shape? Gene Flanigan, Peter Torraca, or Barry might have the rough and could probably cut one for you, but you might have to be flexible on the shape/size.

Barry has this emerald right now, but I'm guessing it's too green:
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=139&idproduct=3859
And this one is probably too green too:
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=139&idproduct=4343

Precision Gem:
http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/rapidcart/greentourmaline.html

Peter (I always email him! He always has more than is on his site):
http://www.torraca.net/gems.php?search=recent&for=recent

Jeff Davies' pinterest board for tourmalines:
https://pinterest.com/jeffdaviesgems/tourmaline/

I think for that color, I'd probably stick to tourmaline. Sapphires are usually going to have that kind of gray mask, spinels aren't typically a blue-green, and I can't think of anything else that's got that kind of color. As others have said, maybe apatite if you're not too hard on your rings?

Hmm I guess I'm not stuck on elongated but I am just picturing that looks best in a 3-stone. I don't like the ones that are too elongated though. I want a different look than I will have in my ering. I do like that round on the bottom of Gene's page though!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooo, some of those are nice!

Heh, yeah, I don't wear mine often, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it a little. This little guy guards my jewelry box, and doesn't mind wearing my pendants for me so I can see them when I'm picking out something in the morning, lol.

gori2.jpg

gorilla.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help for your quest, as my jeweller actually ended up sourcing this one for me through one of their lapidaries, after I had a few swing-and-a-miss attempts from ordering online. It took a couple of months to get the right stone, and then another month to have the setting made around it.

I'm in Australia and it seemed like the tourmaline availability was somewhat lacking in a lot of our jeweller's stocks, other than the very dark bottle green stones. Finding something with a decent amount of blue in it, but still scanning as 'green' was tricky - particularly when I wanted no inclusions to improve its durability. I wish you immense luck though and if I see anything similar I'll flick you a link.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

LD|1361232610|3383633 said:

Those definitely look more green to me. I am digging the 2nd and 3rd ones though! And the last one...super unusual and cool!

What about these from him?

pandabee|1361230397|3383591 said:
Ooh this blue zircon that sold of John Dyer's is really pretty! http://johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Zircon2102.html#

This aqua could be nice too...I think it might be too big for my hand though :halo: http://johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Aquamarine1528.html#

Then there is this dreamy tourm...the image almost looks fake! http://johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Tourmaline808.html#

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

InToTheMystic|1361233503|3383668 said:

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help for your quest, as my jeweller actually ended up sourcing this one for me through one of their lapidaries, after I had a few swing-and-a-miss attempts from ordering online. It took a couple of months to get the right stone, and then another month to have the setting made around it.

I'm in Australia and it seemed like the tourmaline availability was somewhat lacking in a lot of our jeweller's stocks, other than the very dark bottle green stones. Finding something with a decent amount of blue in it, but still scanning as 'green' was tricky - particularly when I wanted no inclusions to improve its durability. I wish you immense luck though and if I see anything similar I'll flick you a link.

Ah, thanks. I am prepared in case this is the route I may have to take, as it is starting to look like it is to get the color I want.. :blackeye: please do keep me in mind in case you see anything though! :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know, Panda, from the two examples you've just provided, it appears that the ones you're picking out are lighter in tone. If that is the case, then that is good news, as I think it is easier to find lighter toned greenish blue stones than darker, more saturated ones.

Jon Dyer is definitely at the high end of the price range, as many of his stones are considered artworks. I believe you'll find Michael, Barry and Gene at the other end of the price extreme - excluding ebay of course.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you will consider apatite, despite its fragility, then you should throw zircon into the mix as well. But this may sound weird, but only consider the John Dyer zircon if you are absolutely, head over heels in love with it. Why? Because finding a pretty zircon will be easier, imo, than finding a pretty tourm. Lighter may present a bit of a challenge, but I see medium toned, highly saturated zircons fairly frequently.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1361237043|3383766 said:
You know, Panda, from the two examples you've just provided, it appears that the ones you're picking out are lighter in tone. If that is the case, then that is good news, as I think it is easier to find lighter toned greenish blue stones than darker, more saturated ones.

Jon Dyer is definitely at the high end of the price range, as many of his stones are considered artworks. I believe you'll find Michael, Barry and Gene at the other end of the price extreme - excluding ebay of course.

Ah good to know, thanks for that tip!! I'm excited to hear that...definitely am being patient with the search so I'll reach out to some of the cutters and keep checking back on their sites... :halo:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I agree, that the ones posted by Panda have lower saturation. The ones at the top of your post have stronger saturation. Are you okay with the lighter colored stones?

InToTheMystic's stone is highly saturated, which is why people notice it across the room. Do you want that wow factor, or do you want something more pastel?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1361237317|3383773 said:
If you will consider apatite, despite its fragility, then you should throw zircon into the mix as well. But this may sound weird, but only consider the John Dyer zircon if you are absolutely, head over heels in love with it. Why? Because finding a pretty zircon will be easier, imo, than finding a pretty tourm. Lighter may present a bit of a challenge, but I see medium toned, highly saturated zircons fairly frequently.

Duly noted. I thought zircon was on the higher spectrum of Moh's for some reason, but now I see the listing clearly states it as 6.5-7.5 which I believe is the same as apatite. I think the appeal of zircon is that it is easier to find the lighter tones that I like and if I recall correctly, the refraction is much more similar to that of a diamond?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

pregcurious|1361237432|3383777 said:
I agree, that the ones posted by Panda have lower saturation. The ones at the top of your post have stronger saturation. Are you okay with the lighter colored stones?

InToTheMystic's stone is highly saturated, which is why people notice it across the room. Do you want that wow factor, or do you want something more pastel?

:confused: :loopy: eh....I don't know anymore...I think I like the higher saturation because that'll definitely be more noticeable and not washed out. But I am wondering if the first few stones at the top only *look* to be higher saturation due to photo/light editing?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pandabee|1361237532|3383782 said:
minousbijoux|1361237317|3383773 said:

Duly noted. I thought zircon was on the higher spectrum of Moh's for some reason, but now I see the listing clearly states it as 6.5-7.5 which I believe is the same as apatite. I think the appeal of zircon is that it is easier to find the lighter tones that I like and if I recall correctly, the refraction is much more similar to that of a diamond?

Yes. Also, don't confuse tone with saturation. You can have a medium toned stone with vivid saturation and you can have a medium dark stone with low saturation, so the two are to a very large degree, separate. Just because you want a medium light to medium toned stone, does not necessarily mean you have to dispense with a high level of saturation.

Now one more time - you are looking for an oval at least 6mm wide and 8mm long, or am I confusing you with someone else?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1361239382|3383825 said:
Yes. Also, don't confuse tone with saturation. You can have a medium toned stone with vivid saturation and you can have a medium dark stone with low saturation, so the two are to a very large degree, separate. Just because you want a medium light to medium toned stone, does not necessarily mean you have to dispense with a high level of saturation.

Now one more time - you are looking for an oval at least 6mm wide and 8mm long, or am I confusing you with someone else?

Okay, I think I was using them interchangeably (bad CSer) so thanks for clarifying that. I am looking for medium light to medium toned blue/green with vivid saturation. Is the degree of saturation or the tone going to be what makes a stone more expensive/rare?

I am not entirely opposed to ovals but was initially looking more toward rectangular cuts. 8x6 I think is my minimum sweet spot. I think nielseel may have also been looking for an oval that size but I thought she found something already.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pandabee|1361240584|3383861 said:
minousbijoux|1361239382|3383825 said:

Okay, I think I was using them interchangeably (bad CSer) so thanks for clarifying that. I am looking for medium light to medium toned blue/green with vivid saturation. Is the degree of saturation or the tone going to be what makes a stone more expensive/rare?

I am not entirely opposed to ovals but was initially looking more toward rectangular cuts. 8x6 I think is my minimum sweet spot. I think nielseel may have also been looking for an oval that size but I thought she found something already.

Okay, this helps.

Now to confuse things a bit. You know how I said that saturation and tone are separate? Well, while they are, it gets more complicated the lighter the gem color. There are few examples of light colored stones with vivid saturation (actually, none come to mind right now), because the lighter the tone, the less color it necessarily has and therefore saturation is impacted. If, for example, you take a light yellow stone and start adding dye, it will get more saturated in color until it can no longer be considered light in tone. While it will still be yellow, it will swing into being medium in tone due to the increased intensity of color, or saturation. You hopefully understand what I'm trying to convey. So that being said, you want a medium light to medium toned stone with as strong a saturation is possible, within your budget. I added the last part because yes, the stronger the saturation, the greater the price, unfortunately. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results