shape
carat
color
clarity

large stone for a smaller setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mary

Rough_Rock
I purchased an antique setting. It said the mount would hold a .20 diamond but my princess diamond is 1.32 Is there something a jeweler can do to "make it fit" without damaging the setting or the diamond?

I also have a 3.85 emerald cut which is set in a thick platinum setting. I want to reset it in a semi bezel but I have been discourage by jewelers. Any advise would be most appreciated. Thanks, I new to the forum and I love it.

m

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mary,

Welcome to pricescope.

0.20 round to 1.32 princess is quite a jump. You can ask your jeweler but I don''t think you''re chances are all that good. Ask ''em. There''s no real way to answer this without examining the ring and the way it''s built. At the least it will involve replacing the prong assembly and I''m afraid that you''re question is going to boil down to "Can you make a ring that looks sort of like this one but that will hold a 1.32 princess?" They can probably do this but it''s not exactly the same as setting the diamond into your antique mounting.

Making a semi-bezel for a 3.85 EC will be a custom project and it''s likely to be a fair amount of work but there is nothing wrong with the idea. I rather like the look.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think any but the heaviest most oversized mount could make that jump. I hope you have some open space for a new setting head. Done right, no worries...

The other is no big deal...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2005 8:9: PM
Author:mary

I also have a 3.85 emerald cut which is set in a thick platinum setting. I want to reset it in a semi bezel but I have been discourage by jewelers
Just curious... why would they discourage you ?
33.gif

For a large stone the bezel would rather be opened on the sides somehow, and not exactly like the usual "etoile" style with the band as wide as the stone... but there are about 1000 ways to do it nicely

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results