shape
carat
color
clarity

large gemstone pendant

charess

Rough_Rock
Hi all - I''m new to posting here! I found pricescope incredibly helpful when we were buying my engagement ring and our wedding bands a few years ago so I came back now that we are working on finding a great anniversary gift :)

I''m looking for a large gemstone pendant - I have been leaning towards amethyst or blue topaz. I''m finding local jewelry stores don''t carry anything as large as I''m looking for - probably in the 1-1.5 inch range for the gemstone. I''m debating a thin diamond halo as well. We have looked a lot of the sites online that sell gemstones, but when we asked a local jeweler about setting a stone we brought it, they seemed less than enthused. Do any of you know of places online that sell large gemstones with the settings? Any advice in which direction we should head with this project?

Thanks - any advice is appreciated!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, it is funny since we have been discussing James Meyer today. But in his website, there is a picture of a large pendant with an amethyst cabochon. It is not what is featured in the list of pendants, this picture is the one you click on to get into "pendants". You''ll see what I mean. You probably could email or call him (I suggest calling) and find out if he can make it for you since you don''t have a stone yet and he can source out a cabochon. (It seems he makes jewelry out of his own stones now). It will be a timeless piece and probably cost less than a gold-and-cab pendant from your jeweler!

If you are looking for something on a budget, ETSY could be a great source. There are many artisans that do bezels from gold, silver and argentum.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charess didn''t say anything about cabs?
33.gif

You can source your own stone, or you can have a jeweler do it. If you''re not super particular about it, I would let the jeweler do it. A BT or Ame in that size should be relatively easy to find I think. Michael E is a gemstone cutter as well as a jeweler and I''m sure he could find and make what you''re looking for rather easily. Also, etsy is a great resource. As for finding exactly what you''re looking for, already made, not extremely likely, but no harm in looking!

I guess it is just where your priorities lie. If you are wanting a large gem that is precision cut, I would go to a cutter and get it custom made. If you aren''t as picky, go to a jeweler and see what they can bring in for you. If you could tell us more about what you want, it would be very helpful.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
You can certainly find an amethyst or topaz in that size (25 to 38 mm), but if you select a faceted gem be prepared for the gem to be quite deep. It might not give you the look you want in a pendant since it may not lay flat. If you select a cabochon you may get a better result (but with quite a different look). Just something to consider for your project.

charess

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the ideas. I am concerned about the depth of the pendant - obviously it isn''t going to lay super flat but I don''t want it looking ridiculous either. I guess what I''m really trying to do is go as large as possible without looking over the top (or maybe just slightly over the top ;-) ) As far as budget goes - I''m not really tied to any specific number but I do want to feel like I''m getting a good value for what I buy.

Here a a couple of links I pulled off google to show you the types of styles I''m interested in - I just want them bigger.

http://www.masterpieceshop.com/Blue-Topaz-Pendant/M/B0030UR5AK.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

http://www.jtv.com/Brazilian-Amethyst-7.76ct-Cushion-With-Diamond-Accent,-14k-White-Gold-Pendant/1037627,default,pd.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130218339552&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVI7&GUID=5bc91b741210a04374058dc5fff374ba&itemid=130218339552&ff4=263602_263622

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know your tastes, so it is hard to give an advice but if you want a really big, unusual pendant, why not look at TL''s thread about a fire opal cut by Osirisgems? His cuts are a step forward, the opal looks very bright, and it is a very large stone. I bought a large ametrine from him cut in his new "liquid flower pattern" but I would not recommend it at this point; it may be not easy to set. TL''s opal, however, seems to be flat enough (at least this is how it looks in pictures) and will look stunning irregardless of the metal you set it in. Osiris prices are pretty competitive and his stones are like no one else''s.
If I were looking for amethysts, I''d ask someone to cut one for me. Let me find a thread about four peaks amethysts with the name of the company (Colorado gems and minerals) that PS-ers advised me to email to to get a really nice amethyst.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results