shape
carat
color
clarity

Lapis Lazuli questions

DotDot

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers,

I am interested in purchasing lapis lazuli jewelry and would like advice on what to look for.

I love the intense deep blue of lapis. What color is more valued (spotted or not)? What types of treatment are common and considered acceptable? What are not acceptable? What price range and vendors should I consider?

Lastly, if you have Lapis jewelry to show, please please show!

Thanks ahead for your help! :wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - this Pala Gems article may be helpful - http://www.palagems.com/lapis_lazuli_bancroft.htm - I also love the rich blue of lapis lazuli and have a couple cabs that I just haven't gotten around to setting yet - there's an eBay vendor that often has very nice cabs - I'll see if I can find his link.

eta: okay, the eBay vendor is carver2 - http://stores.ebay.com/carver2?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 - right now, it looks like he only has one lapis lazuli listed (http://stores.ebay.com/carver2?_dmd=1&_nkw=lapis+lazuli). Anyway, I've bought perhaps a half dozen or so various cabochons and all have been as described/photographed.

also, AC Stones has a nice selection of lapis lazuli - http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=64 - if you are looking for a certain size/shape, maybe email Barry to see if he/his sources may have something.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should be receiving a lapis piece from HoW in the next couple months and will post it here later!! I love the historical back story of lapis and other stones uses in antiquity.. Looking forward to seeing other people 's lapis goodies too :)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Do come back and let us know what you find. Particularly if it looks like this!

afghan-lapis.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As always, the deep blue colour is desired, especially when the pyrite inclusions are extremely small (few to no white calcite veins or streaks). Some are dyed to give the impression of better colouration and some are treated with resin to enhance both the clarity and colour. Simulants include blue glass, plastic or dyed jasper but these are usually quite easy to differentiate.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
This is my only piece of LL. Have had it for years, but still can't commit to anything. It is a little over a third of a pound at 167.23 grams, or 836.25 carats.

lapoflazuli.jpg

DotDot

Rough_Rock
Wow! Georgous stones. Thanks for sharing.

After looking at ones above, I am almost shy of posting what I have found. But I am sharing it here and hoping more people will show their precious.

When buying a necklace that is not so pricy, is it worth getting certified? If not, what are the technics I can use to verify authenticity?

I looked at the ACS site. Is it correct to say the one below with no pyrite would be the ideal stone?
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=8&idproduct=2226

Or is this darker one more desirable?
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=8&idproduct=3627

Thank you!

_21997.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DotDot, I have the same bead necklace and matching bracelet. Timeless and classic style I bought the lapis on the back streets of Jaipur, India where all the stone/gem cutting occurred about 25 years ago. I had my local jeweler string it and add the 14K gold beads. It is one of my faves. I do like a touch of pyrite in it as it makes it look genuine.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Wow DotDot! It seems you already know how to pick stunning lapis - beautiful beads!

As to the two on Barry's site, it's difficult to say. The moon looks very dark (with a stripe) but is free of inclusions according to BB, while the other looks a lovely blue which would seem to match your beads if you wanted to make a pendant to go with it... however it is twice the size (47mm long x 34wide is a very big pendant) and 3.5 times the price. Nonetheless, BB has a good return policy.

Send Barry an email with a picture of your beads and ask if the moon is as dark as it seems , if it is I personally think it's too dark clean or not, then again I'm definitely no expert. I think you can do better using your beads and the "ideal lapis" I posted above as a guide.

You might also email Dana at http://mastercutgems.com/ - both he and Barry are veritable squirrels when it comes to the unfathomable depths of their hoard ;)) Again, give Dana pictures so he knows what you want.

VL - lucky you with that untouched chunk and it's gorgeous blue! It looks as though you chose a good one.

DotDot

Rough_Rock
Lamskin, Can you share pics of yours? Such a great story to go with the necklace. Lapis reminds me of deep mountain side and small back roads. It has that raw beauty to it.

VL, such a pretty and sizable stone. Curious how it will be cut.

Thanks for advices on reaching out to few vendors. I will do so and report back when I found more pieces.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those same gold beads are certainly popular with the lapis, lol.

Mine is also a necklace and bracelet (which I sometimes use as an extension).

lapiz.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Again nice and clean and lovely deep blue and yes, those gold beads are popular because they look so good! Clever to get alternate uses from them too. More than clever to get them when you did :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Is lapis graded like pearls? AAA, AA?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1410057647|3746246 said:
Again nice and clean and lovely deep blue and yes, those gold beads are popular because they look so good! Clever to get alternate uses from them too. More than clever to get them when you did :appl:

Good to know and more like luck since I didn't know the difference between good lapis and bad at the time (and still don't except to watch for the dyed stuff and you used to be able to check with acetone - not sure if that's still the case as dying of stones seems to get more sophisticated). At the time, I just wanted it because of the pretty blue and was from a known seller :doh:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1410060128|3746266 said:
Is lapis graded like pearls? AAA, AA?

I don't believe so preg. I did find a GIA article which really seems to determine it by colour and inclusions - or rather the lack of but that was a couple of days ago. Google lapis grading and I'm sure you'll find it.

Mochiko - please do come back and post it her, as well as starting your own thread of course! We look forward to it :))

lilmosun - reputable seller is always a good start.

Keep us posted please DotDot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results