shape
carat
color
clarity

Laminate flooring owners.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Can you use the original baseboard instead of a quarter round after installation?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine, i can''t think of why you can''t do it for laminate. the baseboard is there to ''finish'' off so the gap between the flooring and the wall isn''t seen, as long as your original accomplishes this, why not?

the instructions for installing the product you''ve selected should specify the gap between wall and flooring to allow for product contraction/retraction due to humity, etc. it is that gap that will determine what size baseboard you will need.

movie zombie

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We used laminate flooring in our kitchen remodel and used the original baseboard rather than the quarter round. It looks fine.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did also and ours looks great.

Linda

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
same with our house. we bought it "mostly" remodeled, but they re-did the kitchen floor this way and it all works great.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OMG.. that is great news.. Thanks so much everyone. We have decided to do the laminate floors and I am working on a budget for the house (a small budget) and I hated the thought of having to buy 36 94'' quarter inch molding... that would have added quite a bit and would have squeezed the budget... shooo... good... that frees me up some. Thanks everyone again..

Another question... did you remove your baseboards and just put them back up after laying the laminate.

Thanks again everyone!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine, yes, remove the baseboards and then reinstall them after putting the flooring in. also, don''t forget to caulk seams and where the baseboard meets the wall and fill in the nail holes. then touch up paint should be all that is required to give that ''professional'' finish. some caulk may require doing the touch up paint within a certain time period to make sure the paint adheres....the caulk tube will give you the information.

i watched the installers very very carefully when we were having our floors done and i learned lots.....

movie zombie

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
you would probably want to remove the base, install the floor, and then re-install the base. this helps hid errors in the flooring instillation @ the edge and covers any gaps that might be present between the flooring and the wall. (it also gives you the oppertunity to refinish your base while you are at it.)

typically you run hard surface flooring under the base to help with construction tolerance. where as capret would be installed to the base since it is stretched.

hope this helps

35.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I suppose the 1 problem is that I do not want to refinish the baseboards. They are stained and I know that I do not want to paint them. I am not sure that I can find the right color stain... ekk... I wonder if this going to cost me more and make it a big hassle... Ah well...either way. I am excited about the floors.. Thanks for all the input!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine, the baseboards should not be horribly damaged if care is taken in removing them.

movie zombie

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2006 3:45:52 AM
Author: movie zombie
Mine, yes, remove the baseboards and then reinstall them after putting the flooring in. also, don''t forget to caulk seams and where the baseboard meets the wall and fill in the nail holes. then touch up paint should be all that is required to give that ''professional'' finish. some caulk may require doing the touch up paint within a certain time period to make sure the paint adheres....the caulk tube will give you the information.

i watched the installers very very carefully when we were having our floors done and i learned lots.....

movie zombie
mine, yes... i agree. we actually replaced the baseboards when we did our installation, but i have a friend who had the original baseboards re-installed and it turned out fine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results