shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies: would you propose to your boyfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 2:53:03 PM
Author: jewelz617
I just know that most of my friends had already went ring shopping, discussed marriage, their boyfriends had purchased rings, some had even started hunting for a wedding venue. But when I asked them when they had gotten engaged, they all said ''I''m waiting for him to surprise me.'' I just don''t understand where the ''surprise'' element factors in there if all the details have already been planned out. When I said ''Why don''t you just ask him?'' some stared at me like I had 3 heads!

True, my proposal lacked romance. But I just felt like it was time and I wanted to get married. Luckily my fantastic husband''s answer was ''Yes! Of course we can get married!'' But then again, I got married at city hall in pants and a cardigan
1.gif
I definitely did the no frills avenue. I don''t regret it, but I''m seeing the general consensus here is that it''s not what most women would do. But I LOVE grand proposal stories! And I think it''s sweet when the guy plans out a cute proposal
1.gif
To me, once you start really planning your actual wedding (deposits, etc), you are engaged. But I digress ..

I do not think your proposal lacked romance. Sure, it lacked the "champagne and roses" type of romance, but there''s also something to be said for the obvious openess and honesty that you and your partner share. I would take those traits in my relationship over a princess-proposal any day
2.gif
Those will last a lifetime, all the other stuff won''t.

I think grand proposal stories are sweet also, but they''re not "me" and they''re not "us".

I actually even get weirded out thinking about him getting down on one knee ..

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 2:32:28 PM
Author: lilyfoot

I actually even get weirded out thinking about him getting down on one knee ..

Oh, me too! I thought I was the only one!

Jewelz, I agree with you in that I don''t quite understand people who are utterly shocked and offended by the thought of a woman proposing, but think nothing of planning out a wedding before the "surprise". But, I think that a proposal still has validity and meaning even if it is not a complete surprise. In some ways, it is kind of like a graduation ceremony - even though you know it''s coming, you''ve already done the work for it, the fact that it''s becoming official still makes it an amazingly special.

Does that make sense?

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve told this story before, but not only did I do it, but I did it online by instant messenger so I win all "least romantic proposal" stories forevermore.
2.gif

It was right for our very peculiar relationship, but I wouldn''t really recommend that for anyone else.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
LilyKat, I thought I was the only one! So, either this feeling is normal, or we''re both whackos
2.gif
3.gif

Date: 12/3/2009 3:13:31 PM
Author: Liane
I''ve told this story before, but not only did I do it, but I did it online by instant messenger so I win all ''least romantic proposal'' stories forevermore.
2.gif

It was right for our very peculiar relationship, but I wouldn''t really recommend that for anyone else.
I don''t remember who the poster was, but there was a woman who proposed via text message, I believe...

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i asked my honey if he wants me to propose, but he said no, he wanted to do it, and then we would go ring shopping together

i''m a control freak and he is sooooo good for me
2.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 3:35:35 PM
Author: lilyfoot

I don''t remember who the poster was, but there was a woman who proposed via text message, I believe...
I remember that. IIRC, though, she was just kidding (or immediately played it off as though she were just kidding) and the guy gave her a more formal proposal later. It''s entirely possible I''m remembering this wrong, so please correct me if I am.

I just recall thinking "haha! I am not the only one!" but it turned out that one didn''t count for them, whereas for us it was the real/only proposal.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad that there are some here who don''t think it''s totally crazy! I didn''t get the big white wedding and the rose petals and candles proposal... but I did get a wonderful husband and an amazing daughter. I got to marry my best friend. Good enough for me
1.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
I am SO not a traditionalist but I would never propose to my boyfriend. The thought never even crossed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results