shape
carat
color
clarity

LA Dwellers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
An aquaintance who lives in another state wants to take a train from San Diego to LA and do the touristy thing with a kid in tow for a day. It''s been a VERY long time since I''ve hung out in Hollywood and she is asking me for advice/recommendations on places to go and whether it would be a good idea to take the train, then a taxi, or if they should just drive. I''ve never been to the train station in LA, so I don''t have a clue as to what I should tell her regarding safety. I know it''s about 10 miles from Hollywood Blvd. but don''t know much about getting around in a taxi, or by foot (when I lived there we just drove everywhere). So I guess want to know if it''s safe to take the train to Union Station then a cab to Hollywood Blvd. Also any recommendations for kid friendly things to do? I was thinking the wax museum, Griffith Park, the stars on Hollywood Blvd., Melrose for a bit of shopping, the La Brea Tar Pits; I know it''s too much for one day, just wanted to give them options. Anyone have thoughts, opinions?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
If they're heading to Hollywood Blvd, they can take the subway from Union Station. It'll put them right at Hollywood and Highland and they can check out that area. That's also where the bus leaves from to go to Griffith Observatory, which is really fun and kid-friendly. From there, there's another bus that heads down to the zoo if they want to check that out.

La Brea tar pits are neat, as well, but that's up on the Miracle Mile/museum row next to LACMA, so if they aren't doing anything else over there it might be a bit out of the way. On the other hand, that is on the way to Beverly Hills, so if they wanted to check out Rodeo Drive or anything, that might be neat. Actually, if they did that, they could hop on the bus that runs down Wilshire and take it all the way to Santa Monica and do the 3rd Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier, which is always fun. If she only has a day, I'd choose one area of LA to focus on, i.e. either Hollywood/Griffith Park area or Miracle Mile/Beverly Hills/Santa Monica. That's especially true if you're doing it sans car.

Hopefully that gives some good ideas--how old is her kid?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 1:33:05 PM
Author:KimberlyH
An aquaintance who lives in another state wants to take a train from San Diego to LA and do the touristy thing with a kid in tow for a day. It''s been a VERY long time since I''ve hung out in Hollywood and she is asking me for advice/recommendations on places to go and whether it would be a good idea to take the train, then a taxi, or if they should just drive. I''ve never been to the train station in LA, so I don''t have a clue as to what I should tell her regarding safety. I know it''s about 10 miles from Hollywood Blvd. but don''t know much about getting around in a taxi, or by foot (when I lived there we just drove everywhere). So I guess want to know if it''s safe to take the train to Union Station then a cab to Hollywood Blvd. Also any recommendations for kid friendly things to do? I was thinking the wax museum, Griffith Park, the stars on Hollywood Blvd., Melrose for a bit of shopping, the La Brea Tar Pits; I know it''s too much for one day, just wanted to give them options. Anyone have thoughts, opinions?
I''ve never spent much time in Union Station - but I would imagine it would be safe to take the train and catch a cab. Depending on the age of the child, my recommendation would be either Melrose/La Brea Tar Pits combo, or Hollywood and Highland/El Capitan Theater combo (since it is just one day). Perhaps she could try both, if she is ambitious, but traffic is terrible. Also, she might be able to take the subway from Union Station to Hollywood and Highland.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I lived in the LA area for 17 years, and I never even knew there was a subway! How crazy is that? Granted I lived in the burbs, but we spent a fair amount of time tooling around the actual city. I am also terrible with directions and distances so trying to lay out LA in my head is really hard.

The kid is 7, and it would be him, his mom, and her friend (the one who really wants to see LA). Would taking the bus be safe for them? This trip is all about the friend, who lives in another state, and really wants to see LA. But with a 7 year old in tow they definitely need to do some kid friendly things. I thought Griffith Park/Hollywood Blvd./Melrose would be a good mix for them, along with places to eat. But 3rd Street is really neat too (the last time I went there was the night before the big earthquake in 1994).

Thanks so much, Jennifer and pirate, for all of the great suggestions! I may be back to pick your brains some more.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 1:58:12 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Wow, I lived in the LA area for 17 years, and I never even knew there was a subway! How crazy is that? Granted I lived in the burbs, but we spent a fair amount of time tooling around the actual city. I am also terrible with directions and distances so trying to lay out LA in my head is really hard.

The kid is 7, and it would be him, his mom, and her friend (the one who really wants to see LA). Would taking the bus be safe for them? This trip is all about the friend, who lives in another state, and really wants to see LA. But with a 7 year old in tow they definitely need to do some kid friendly things. I thought Griffith Park/Hollywood Blvd./Melrose would be a good mix for them, along with places to eat. But 3rd Street is really neat too (the last time I went there was the night before the big earthquake in 1994).

Thanks so much, Jennifer and pirate, for all of the great suggestions! I may be back to pick your brains some more.
The above highlighted part is what I would do. I would skip 3rd street - it''s far (in traffic) and I like San Diego better than Santa Monica. I think the bus is safe, but not the most expeditious alternative (can you tell I hate sitting in traffic?).

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:40:05 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Date: 8/6/2008 1:58:12 PM
Author: KimberlyH

The above highlighted part is what I would do. I would skip 3rd street - it''s far (in traffic) and I like San Diego better than Santa Monica. I think the bus is safe, but not the most expeditious alternative (can you tell I hate sitting in traffic?).
I hate traffic too. I think I''ll suggest the highlighted. Thanks again, Jennifer!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results