shape
carat
color
clarity

L/W ratios fatter than trade preferences

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
In my online browsing for marquise, pear, and oval diamonds I have noticed a fair number of stones that have a length-to-width ratio that falls outside the trade preferences. My personal preference is for “fat” stones that fall at the lower end of trade preferences (e.g. 1.75 for marquise or 1.50 for pear). Assuming the same cut quality in all other respects, will a fat stone (e.g. 1.70 for a marquise and 1.45 for a pear) have more undesirable qualities like additional light leakage or less brilliance than a stone with an L/W ratio within the trade preferences? If a lower L/W ratio does have a negative impact, how low must it be to have a significant impact?

Are trade preferences truly just a matter of taste? Is there something "wrong" with diamonds falling outside the trade preferences? I''ve noticed that such diamonds tend to be cheaper.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
If you like your fancies fat go for it. I have a fat pear and it holds up or even beats the best of them. So in my opinion the L&W becomes a matter of personal taste. My pear is fat & I love it.

Caratcutter

Rough_Rock
The main thing about any diamond that you buy is "Does it look good to me?". If that is the case then L/W means absolutely nothing. However where L/W does come into play is the overall price of the diamond. If the diamond is not falling under "trade preferences" it will not bring a higher price per carat. If it is more of a Ideal or Excellent make stone (it falls within those trade preferences) it will bring a higher price per carat.

Hope that helps

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its a matter of supply and demand, and you prefered taste...

There are some modifications on fatter stones as far as facet placement and angle''s, simply because the majority of fatter fancy shapes tend to be shalower )flater).

But the final decision will be to your decision and likings,

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Definitely go with your eye when choosing a fancy. I had a pear that was 1.57 LtW and my current oval is 1.40 LtW (I think the "preferred" oval ratio is 1.5, but it was just too skinny for me). I also have an oval sapphire that is 1.11, which sometimes people think is a round since the elongation is so slight, but I really like the way it looks in the setting with round diamonds on the side.

Bottom line: pick what YOU find most appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results