color
clarity

Knitting

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1390611873|3600702 said:
Gorgeous scarf Monnie-wow!

Thanks, Packrat! Play your cards right and maybe I'll make you one to go with your new winter coat! :naughty:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer - wow! That sweater is gorgeous, and did you spin the yarn yourself? I stand in awe!

Thanks for the info on the cubic needles. I think I'll have to give them a try, since I have a touch of arthritis in both of my thumbs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1390607621|3600658 said:
Wow, Jennifer! That is a beautiful sweater...just...WOW! :love:

Um, I just got home from buying more yarn, and a set of size 35 needles. THANKS A BUNCH GYPSY! :lol:

I've wanted to knit something like these two pictures for a couple years--I just love that large scale, chunky look!

That blanket is just GORGREOUS Monnnie.

Jennifer, what a beautiful sweater! Looks fantastic.

Didn't make it to the yarn store today. Will try to get there this weekend.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1390616130|3600753 said:
Jennifer - wow! That sweater is gorgeous, and did you spin the yarn yourself? I stand in awe!

Thanks for the info on the cubic needles. I think I'll have to give them a try, since I have a touch of arthritis in both of my thumbs.

Any time.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1390616030|3600751 said:
packrat|1390611873|3600702 said:
Gorgeous scarf Monnie-wow!

Thanks, Packrat! Play your cards right and maybe I'll make you one to go with your new winter coat! :naughty:

woo hoo! I best get on it!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to knit. I started as a kid and can pretty much knit in the dark. Crocheting on the other hand I have to watch and count every stitch. I am currently working on a scarf.

My suggestion for beginners is stay away from the bumpy, multi strand or fuzzy yarns. They can be hard to work with. My personal preference is to use straight needles.

You can find free patterns online at places like Lion Brand and Bernat.

I need to get my scarf out to work not his weekend. I will get a picture of it.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
VRBeauty|1390616130|3600753 said:

Thank you VRBeauty! My secret ambition is to be recruited as a Fair Isle knitter one of these days - just occasionally, I believe they advertise for people to go and live on Fair Isle who can knit and spin in the traditional ways. I would love to go! Not close to being good enough yet, but I can dream. :))

The cubics needles are well worth a try. I got a set of the metal interchangeable tips and also wooden tips, and the wooden ones are kinder on the hands over a long period. I think the are easier than the straight needles, too (for me, anyway). They do seem to improve my knitting - not sure if it's something about the needles themselves or just because I'm more comfortable. Browse Amazon if you have the time, because I got one of my sets for an absolute steal - it was £29 instead of £90.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow, Jennifer! That is a beautiful sweater...just...WOW! :love:

Um, I just got home from buying more yarn, and a set of size 35 needles. THANKS A BUNCH GYPSY! :lol:

I've wanted to knit something like these two pictures for a couple years--I just love that large scale, chunky look!
Thanks Monarch! I am trying to learn traditional techniques and some of them require nerves of steel. Google 'steeks' and see if you have the nerve to cut a freshly-knitted sweater in half... This was my first attempt and it took Big Wine :bigsmile:

I LOVE that chunky look - I think it might be knitted with roving rather than yarn, though? Roving is combed and carded fibre, usually used by spinners (apologies if this is not news to you ;)) ). I have seen people knit with this, and the results are always amazing. Have a look at Paradise Fibres if you fancy having a go:
https://www.paradisefibers.com/

Gypsy, the cat solution is possibly a combination of boxes with strong lids for stuff that isn't in use (stash, as we call all that luscious yarn you buy but don't have time to knit yet...and you'll get plenty of it fast enough once you get the bug :bigsmile: ) and a yarn bowl for the project you're working on: http://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=yarn+bowl My cat lost interest in the balls of yarn when they weren't skipping around the floor. I hope your lessons go well and you love it - knitting is so good for reducing stress.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1390590635|3600441 said:
Once you get started, come and show - we can have a knit-along.

Yes! :D What might we make....or would we do a theme? :D :D :appl:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm about to start a cashmere blanket. It could actually be the thing that defeats me... :bigsmile: If it takes even half as long to knit as it did to spin enough (I hope) yarn, it might just kill me.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I loooove to knit! I taught myself about four years ago by watching videos on www.knittinghelp.com I HIGHLY recommend this site it you're refreshing your knitting skills or wanting to learn. Her videos are very, very clear and she has videos for both English knitting (yarn in the right hand) and continental style knitting (yarn in the left hand). I also recommend you use circular needles. I tried to learn years ago on straights and it was so frustrating. Someone here told me to try circulars and that was the ticket!

There's a knitting thread in FHH that I will try to find the link to. I've posted pics of several of my projects there, as have many others. It was going to a while but died out.

This is what I'm working on now. http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/83-shop/fall-2010-patterns/701-acorns-by-carol-sunday
I've finished the acorn pattern and now just have to finish the stockinette down the body. I've been working on it for ages because I keep getting green eyed over other things and starting yet another project!

And I would be game for a knit along as well!

Oh, and have you fallen down the Ravelry rabbit hole yet? I keep some projects documented there. Same user name. I'm like a kid in a candy store if I go thru their pattern database!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1390667521|3600996 said:
This is what I'm working on now. http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/83-shop/fall-2010-patterns/701-acorns-by-carol-sunday
I've finished the acorn pattern and now just have to finish the stockinette down the body. I've been working on it for ages because I keep getting green eyed over other things and starting yet another project!

What a lovely pattern! I see long boring stretches for the hand knitter, but you'll probably forget all about that when you get to wear the finished sweater!

April20

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1390676763|3601051 said:
April20|1390667521|3600996 said:

What a lovely pattern! I see long boring stretches for the hand knitter, but you'll probably forget all about that when you get to wear the finished sweater!

I know, right! I love the look of stockinette but I hate knitting it. I love super complicated cables or lace to keep it interesting. Oh well. I am determined to finish. After that I have my eye on a traveling cable sweater I saw in Vogue knitting last year!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1390667234|3600994 said:
I'm about to start a cashmere blanket. It could actually be the thing that defeats me... :bigsmile: If it takes even half as long to knit as it did to spin enough (I hope) yarn, it might just kill me.

You spin?!? I am so fascinated by this. I know I will probably never do this but I would love to learn. Can you tell me a little bit about it?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1390641270|3600905 said:
Gypsy, the cat solution is possibly a combination of boxes with strong lids for stuff that isn't in use (stash, as we call all that luscious yarn you buy but don't have time to knit yet...and you'll get plenty of it fast enough once you get the bug :bigsmile: ) and a yarn bowl for the project you're working on: http://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=yarn+bowl My cat lost interest in the balls of yarn when they weren't skipping around the floor. I hope your lessons go well and you love it - knitting is so good for reducing stress.

Ok so Jennifer you know exactly how to bribe me. Anytime I can buy pottery I am game. Those yarn bowls look perfect.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gypsy
I know someone who loves knitting (I know nothing), this is what she said:

"The needles are the size recommended for the wool, and that amount should get a nice long scarf is there a reason the knitter doesn't want to start out with a pattern? That's probably the easiest way for a beginner."

Hope that helps

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
April, thanks so much for the link to the video's that is exactly what I needed. I'm going to pick up some inexpensive practice yarn at Joann.

bliss_cathy|1390701908|3601238 said:
Hi Gypsy

"The needles are the size recommended for the wool, and that amount should get a nice long scarf is there a reason the knitter doesn't want to start out with a pattern? That's probably the easiest way for a beginner."

Hope that helps

It definitely does.

The local yarn store is going to have to wait till next week. And I'm going to wait to buy 'good' yarn there. I'm ordering those needles though.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1390702926|3601254 said:
bliss_cathy|1390701908|3601238 said:
Hi Gypsy

Hope that helps

It definitely does.

The local yarn store is going to have to wait till next week. And I'm going to wait to buy 'good' yarn there. I'm ordering those needles though.

Great :appl:

It's all foreign talk to me! She is a big knitter and makes a lot of crochet, blankets, bags, socks, jumpers etc, so I know she definitely knows her stuff.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really appreciate you taking the time to check with her and post her advice for me.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
:)) no worries, I think she would be just really happy to help someone else who was interested in her hobby.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
April20|1390686003|3601114 said:
Jennifer W|1390667234|3600994 said:

You spin?!? I am so fascinated by this. I know I will probably never do this but I would love to learn. Can you tell me a little bit about it?

I love to spin! So relaxing. You spin two or more single threads and then ply or twist them together to form a balanced yarn. It's a nice way to try some of the premium fibres, like cashmere and silk, and of course you can create exactly the blend and yarn that you want to knit. I was trying to upload some pics of my wheels and some yarns, but I'm not having much luck. Will have another go later. If you get the chance, give it a go - there are lots of spin groups in the US and they are usually happy to help you get started or just to try it out and see if it's for you. Have a look on Ravelry Groups to find one near you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1390934974|3602780 said:
gypsy, this is in santa cruz but thought I'd let you know about it anyway:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-go...&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=the-golden-fleece-2

Oh that's a good deal! It is a bit far, though you are right. Especially as I am not really driving these days if I can at all avoid it. But very tempting. I appreciate you thinking of me.

The shop that I am hoping to go to (got really sick this weekend) http://www.yelp.com/biz/nine-rubies-knitting-san-mateo#query:yarn Apparently did a groupon a while back. I'm going to ask them if they plan on doing another.

MrsAkin

Rough_Rock
Finally there's a knitting thread in Pricescope! Knitting is my oldest passion, I've been knitting since I'm 6 years old. My favorite kind is lace knitting but I'm fairly advanced with cables as well. I made this sweater for my son:

This picture was taken right after I finished - that's why the buttons were not attached yet. It's not the best pic as the project wasn't blocked yet but you get the idea. I also made this blanket for him:

This is not the blanket I knit, just wanted to show the pattern. I don't have my own picture on my computer but it's so rewarding to use something that I made with hope and prayers for my baby's future in every stitch.

For a true beginners project I think something in garter stitch is appropriate. If you want to take up knitting you really should be a member on Ravelry. Joining Ravelry was the best thing for my knitting. There are gazillions of free patterns. You can do an advanced search for a pattern and go from there. The pattern will have a recommended needle size. I try to choose projects to learn something new every time. Trying to master a new skill keeps me from getting bored. If the pattern you choose calls a special technique you can always do a youtube search. There are lots of informative videos.

The yarn you chose seems to be on the expensive side. But if you like it I'd say why not? Loving the yarn makes the project go faster for me. Oh and about the needles, I have an interchangeable circular needle set from Hiya Hiya and I love using them. They're so lightweight and have sharp ends which are great for lace knitting. I only use circular needles actually. They're great for bigger projects like throw blankets or large shawls. With circulars you don't have to carry the weight of your ongoing project in your hands as you would with straight needles. The project sits comfortably on your lap while you knit. For smaller projects or sweater arms you can always use the magic loop technique. I really love my circulars.

Oh how I missed knitting away the hours! I haven't been knitting since I gave birth in October. Writing this post made me realize how much I missed it! Good luck with knitting! If you need anything I'm here to help :wavey:

img_3410.jpg

img_3534.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsAkin, your projects are amazing! I really need to join Ravelry, I have been knitting a garter stitch and purl for 15 years now. Too afraid of patterns and multiple yarns and needles and...I get overwhelmed easily. :lol: Anyway, I posted a link to an older knitting thread earlier, I think it's on page 1, and if you do a search for "knitting" or related words a few others should pop up. We've had several over the years that I can remember.

ETA Gypsy, I'm not sure which thread to put this but I know you like to read so I thought I'd recommend Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series. It revolves around a yarn store and knitting. It is decidedly light and definitely chick lit, but I enjoyed some of the series several years ago and think you (and other participants/readers of this thread) might like them as well.

April20

Ideal_Rock
MrsAkin, I am a sucker for cables! I love the sweater you made for your son. Do you happen to remember the pattern name? I made myself something somewhat similar cable wise a few years ago.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been a knitter since I wanted to get that badge, way back in Brownies!! (about 45 years!) and since then, I've always seemed to have something on the go. The lady who taught me, always felt it was best to start w one element of the project you really ADORED --- could be the type of wool, the colour, the design in it somewhere, the finished product --- and when I taught knitting at a local shop for a few years, I had the same philosophy. Its a series of loops and whether its a knit, purl, "slo", cable, lace... whatever the pattern... if you wanted it badly enough, you could do it. (kind of --- always good to have a knitting friend in your back pocket for help!)

I went on a huge binge for few years and started to count the projects I completed in that year and my best year ever, was 100 sweaters in a year!! I even impressed myself! I wore some, sold some, "knit for hire", some were baby sweaters for my kids and I ended up gifting FAR TOO MANY to relatives who probably threw up a little knowing they were getting YET ANOTHER sweater from me! But 100 in a year? ya - that was a fun year!!

Now, I mainly knit hats for the homeless and give to a friend who takes them to a local shelter. Last bundle of hats were gone in 15 minutes and she said the men were VERY excited to get one of "her friends" hats! Awe... that made me feel really great about those simple little 'nothing' hats!!

Good luck Gypsy w whatever your project is! I hope you enjoy the process and find it relaxing!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi. Hats for the homeless. What a great idea. That's a wonderful project!!

I'm really excited to hit the yarn store. But it does seem to be getting put off again and again. I have a big conference coming up with work and that combined with being sick has pushed this out to February.

That's why I try to mail order things. I always have time to shop on the net, between things. But actually making time to go to a store and ... yeah, that's harder.

Monnie, I love to read, and will definitely check that out. It sounds right up my alley!

MrsA--- WOW. Awesome projects. I'm in awe. That blanket is just gorgeous and that sweater looks better than those I see in the stores by far.

Ninna, that brings me back to childhood. My mom knitted me a doll in that same pink when I was a child. I love your pig!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results