shape
carat
color
clarity

kleptomaniac proposal: this is how

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jonnyboy

Rough_Rock
finally decided how to propose

i have gotten the ring : ) from a jeweller and they are resetting it to her size. note: it''s all paid for. with the connivance of the shop, i will bring her to the shop and let her try a few ring - and when she tries my ring (which will fit pefectly) the shop assistant will be temporarily distracted (deliberately of course). this is when i elbowed her, grabbed her hand and make a run for it! shop assistant promised to shout after us for effect!

wil grab her hand andl run and run and run to a little stariway in the mall, where in a state of huffing, puffing and adrenaline overload (you know, that kleptomanic joy of having gotten away), i will get on my knees, pull out the pre-planted bouquet of tulips (her favourite) kiss her ring hand and pop the question.

it''s probably captured on CCTV so maybe i can get a recording of that too : )

admittedly, this can go either way, so...what do you guys think? inspired or insipid??

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not love that. I would be so freaked out that I would not enjoy the proposal. It might sound funny right now, but I would not want to recall my proposal day that way. However, you know her best and maybe she will think it is a riot.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Diamondfan. First of all, running through the mall, you''re going to attract security, and perhaps even a good samaritan will tackle you down. That will definitely pause your plan for a private moment.

Second...there''s pretty much no way on earth I''d agree to marry someone who, to the best of my knowledge, just committed a felony offense.

I just think it''s a bad idea to mix practical jokes with proposals in general. It sends a strange message. I''m not saying that a proposal needs to be mushy, romantic, and over the top if that''s not who you are as a couple - but maybe there''s a better way that will seem more positive and upbeat than scary and possibly negative.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, El.

Plus, just wanted to ask what type of store would agree and what purpose does this proposal serve in the end? Even once she knows it was a prank and the ring was paid for, I personally would be ticked that you thought this an appropriate way to start of our engaged life. Unless she has a really off sense of humor and this is something she would find hilarious, it just seems rather twisted to me. And like El said, if you are a non traditional non mushy type guy or couple, there are many options that do not involve scaring her half to death. I would think you are looney as we were dashing away, and I would be afraid. I guess I am just curious as to what part of this prank you think she would enjoy?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There''s a chance that this might make her feel foolish, or as if she looks bad: everybody else will turn out to have been in on the joke, but she''ll be revealed as the kind of person who would/could potentially commit theft in the heat of the moment. Or, if she''s the honest type, she might wrench something while physically resisting, or feel enormously taken aback that you''re Not the Guy She Thought You Were ... too many variables for it to go wrong, I''d say. But it''s really cool that you''re putting so much creativity into this! If you already know that the shop is willing to act as a co-conspirator, why not keep that theme (and the CCTV), but go for something a little more on the side of surprise, less on the side of illegality? Ask them if you can "borrow" one of their display windows so that once you arrive to "shop" she''ll get to see her gorgeous ring spotlit dead-center in the middle of a display of pictures of the two of you, tulips, and whatever other items might have significance for you. The store might not be cool with the idea of losing a chance to sell whatever it is they normally keep there in the span of your proposal ... but, then again, if they''ve agreed to a staged theft, they''re probably pretty easy-going.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am going to go against the grain here and say MAYBE! Do you really know your girlfriend enough to be 100% sure she will see the funny side of this? Is this something she would expect from her goof-ball partner? I would probably see the funny side and you would have an awesome story, BUT there are a lot of variables - like others mentioned, what if someone tackles you both the ground, you break an arm or leg and she chips her brand new diamond?!
23.gif
32.gif

ETA - I have just re-read Circe's post and I am really loving this idea. Even if they can't do the front window, maybe they could set up one of their display cases inside?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not know...I have a pretty good sense of humor but just fail to see how thinking my boyfriend was stealing my ring is funny?! What makes that a great way to propose? Even once I know the truth, I guess I would wonder, what was the point? To each his own but...it just seems in poor taste, no matter how off beat someone''s humor might be.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this a joke? Am I on candid camera?
32.gif

So yeah, not a good proposal idea from where I stand. I''d never make a run for it, that''s so against everything I stand for. Plus I find it odd the shop would go along with this whole plan. Anyway, is this the story you want to tell your kids and grandkids??

We can help you come up with something that has that element of surprise, but in a more dignified manner...
2.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Seriously? Ummmm, no. Hell to the no. I don''t care what kind of sense of humor she has, please, don''t do that. Way too many things could go wrong with it. There''s other ways to give her that adrenaline rush-believe me, even the simplest, most heartfelt proposal can do it.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
This is a joke right?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
hmmm . . . I think you should re-think this one and find a more classy way to propose. Sorry, no grand ideas here, but I''ll try thinking and asking some of my friends who are planning to propose soon.

jonnyboy

Rough_Rock
thanks guys, honestly... i agree now lookg at it, this tips crazy and is firmly in idiotic land, ah well, back to the drawing board...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t say idiotic as much as a bit overboard. I think she''s be rather scared in the end and a bit to freaked out to know what was going on, or what she should do. You sound like someone with a sense of humor who loves to have fun, why not a treasure hunt that ends up being a bit comical?

I''m taking this idea from Laguna Beach (sad but such a cool cool cool idea) when they were getting ready for winter formals the girls asked the guys to go. Two of the girls did a scavenger hunt and it was REALLY drawn out... they found notes at their front doors, had to drive on the interstate only to have a banner across it saying to turn around and go to a local beach walk. Got there and there were goldfish in a bowl, notes inside balloons that said "of all the fish in the sea, winter formal with me" then they got on the beach and the girls popped out of boxes. Maybe something fun like that?

I would hate that kind of proposal. Running away?????? What if she liked a ring that you didn''t pick??

Sorry.

However AFTER you propose.. make sure to tell her about this initial idea.. she''ll get a kick out of it!

golden

Shiny_Rock
I think this is pretty funny, but, if I were your girlfriend, I would take the ring off real quickly and put it back on the counter and then follow you, so that would totally ruin what you have planned.
On another note, what if she tries something else on that she likes better then what you have picked out? But this is coming from someone who wants to pick out her own ring!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 3:25:51 AM
Author: jonnyboy
thanks guys, honestly... i agree now lookg at it, this tips crazy and is firmly in idiotic land, ah well, back to the drawing board...

Agreed. Good luck!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s hysterical! I know you are scrapping the idea, but I think it would be hilarious. I would be utterly confusing, so you would have to explain what had just happened, but if she was the kind of girl that liked zany, crazy ideas, it could be fun. You would have to go back to the store, also, to let her know they were in on it :)

I can''t help but think I would enjoy something so memorable, even despite my confusion. What a fun story to tell! Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results