shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchen Gift Idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So, I''m trying to decide what to get a good friend for her bday. She recently turned 31. I''d like to get her something cooking related, b/c she''s begun to cook more often. I thought of a spice rack or crock pot but not really sure.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Crock pot is a good idea - check out the thread "Amazing Crockpot Recipes".

Great quality knives (paring, a good pair of sheers, slicing, bread) are something I really love.

Good oven mitts.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is my fave type of gift!!

-- One year I did get my best friend a crockpot as well as a really good crockpot cookbook (interesting recipes with fresh ingredients). It went over well.
-- Another year for Christmas I got her a set of 3 melamine bowls, 3 matching dishtowels, an olive wood mixing spoon, and different fun scone and muffin mixes.
-- For my SIL one year I got her a ceramic bread basket from Williams-Sonoma (the type that can be put in the oven to warm the bread and keep it warm on the table), a matching dishcloth, personalized aprons for her and her husband, and blueberry scone mix (the bowl, towel, and aprons were all blue).
-- I once received a terra cotta cazuela (I think it''s for making paellas but I don''t usually eat those) and some fun spanish ingredients in it (tapenade, pastas, etc).

The options abound! Have fun with it.
36.gif

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I love Williamsonoma.com . There are tons of gifts you can get her from their store or website-

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Firegoddess is SO creative! I love this gift idea! I didn''t even know that warming bread basket existed! How fun!
Date: 4/11/2006 2:34:37 PM
Author: FireGoddess

-- For my SIL one year I got her a ceramic bread basket from Williams-Sonoma (the type that can be put in the oven to warm the bread and keep it warm on the table), a matching dishcloth, personalized aprons for her and her husband, and blueberry scone mix (the bowl, towel, and aprons were all blue).
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jorman. I loved it so much I got myself one, and a red and white plaid dishtowel to go in it.
img66m.jpg

Oval Stoneware Bread Basket
"Created exclusively for Williams-Sonoma, our fully glazed stoneware basket keeps baked goods warm at the table. Place the basket in a hot oven at 350ºF for a few minutes, then fill it with fresh-baked bread, croissants or muffins, wrapped in a cloth napkin. You may also use the basket for displaying seasonal fruit. 10 1/2" x 8" x 4 1/2" high."

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 2:34:37 PM

-- One year I did get my best friend a crockpot as well as a really good crockpot cookbook (interesting recipes with fresh ingredients). It went over well.
-- Another year for Christmas I got her a set of 3 melamine bowls, 3 matching dishtowels, an olive wood mixing spoon, and different fun scone and muffin mixes.
-- I once received a terra cotta cazuela (I think it''s for making paellas but I don''t usually eat those) and some fun spanish ingredients in it (tapenade, pastas, etc).

The options abound! Have fun with it.
36.gif
Anything mentioned above would be a blast to receive. I love to cook & would be thrilled with any of the above gifts. And as Ivanadiamond mentioned: Williams Sonoma is just a wonderful place to find gifts for any level cook.

Without knowing what you''d like to spend or what kinds of foods she likes to make, here are a few items that I''m in love with - unless mentioned otherwise, these area all available at Williams Sonoma (and other places I''m sure):

Melamine mixing bowls w/ rubber pad so they don''t travel (have nice handles and little pour spouts & comes in great colors - although the website is limited on the colors offered)

lemon & lime presses - makes fresh lemon or lime juice a breeze

Santoku knife (I use a 7" Wusthof; pricey but priceless!)

Microplane graters (I use the Microplane rasp a lot for lemon/lime zesting, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. and the next larger size for hard cheeses like Parm)

Crock pot (I got a really pretty one from Dillard''s that is only $25 and the insert can be used alone; so handy to have)

Measuring cups (the new OXO angled kind where you can view the measurements from the top - GREAT)

Gripper cutting board (also resists traveling around while you''re chopping)

Hope some of that helps!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have a Cost Plus World Market near you, it''s also a great place to get kitchen stuff...I got my best friend the melamine bowls from Williams-Sonoma on sale cuz it was a fall color and they had moved on to winter colors. I think on sale at W-S they are $14.99 for a set of 3, but at Cost Plus, they''re always $14.99 for a set. I got mine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but I also saw some in fun colors at Home Goods.

And I have to agree with Teebee - I love my microplane! I got mine at BB&B.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more idea - my SIL always loves my banana bread loaves and I bake them in the fancy bundt molds, so one year I got her a cake dome (it was cool cuz you could invert it and use it as a punch bowl too), a fancy bundt pan, a bundt cookbook, and a box of bundt cake mix.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, those are all great ideas! Darn it, now I have to get home and no time to look around at all these things until tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have to look up half of the items you guys suggested to see what they look like. I don''t tend to cook anything requiring much more than a basic pot/pan. But i''m learning!

Thanks so much! These are great ideas for this gift and many to come! I''m much more excited now b/c I really wanted to get something good but couldn''t think of anything. I also really like the crockpot w/cookbook or maybe a couple of the smaller things together. Hmmm...so many ideas!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a few mentioned...

melamine bowls
img5m.jpg

microplane
img38m.jpg

one type of fancy bundt pan
img10m.jpg

cazuela
ca-10.jpg

I think those are the main ones not immediately apparent if you don''t cook alot.
1.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 4:18:09 PM

Thanks Jorman. I loved it so much I got myself one, and a red and white plaid dishtowel to go in it.
img66m.jpg

Oval Stoneware Bread Basket
''Created exclusively for Williams-Sonoma, our fully glazed stoneware basket keeps baked goods warm at the table. Place the basket in a hot oven at 350ºF for a few minutes, then fill it with fresh-baked bread, croissants or muffins, wrapped in a cloth napkin. You may also use the basket for displaying seasonal fruit. 10 1/2'' x 8'' x 4 1/2'' high.''

I have this one in blue. I highly recommend it! It''s so cute that sometimes I keep fruit on the counter in it.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn''t it great Miranda? I got my SIL the blue one. Such a beautiful shade of blue.

I forgot to post the cake dome - this is the picture of the actual one I got...when both pieces are flipped upside down it serves as a punchbowl too!
76440863819.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, thanks for the pics! That''s a big help, especially since my mind''s been on diamonds today and not kitchen products. Now, I have to get to the store and go searching.
I''m leaning toward the crock pot or the bowls/measuring cups and maybe something else.
Btw, there is a CostPlus nearby and I hadn''t even thought of going there. I think i''ll try Linens n''Things and BBB too.

Thanks for such creative ideas!

What about a rice cooker/veggie steamer? I want to be sure to get something useful for her, b/c although she does cook, it''s fairly simply stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results