carat
color
clarity

Kindly help a technical moron find a good light laptop

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
cflutist|1418861120|3803271 said:
Light is relative?

It is if you're the soul having to schlepp it around. :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, here's some info!

My old laptop, adapter/cord and ipad weighed over 7 pounds (probably 8ish with the case, which I forgot to weigh). All that was replaced with the Lenovo, which, which adapter/cord and case is just under 4 lbs. To be fair, I totally didn't realize that I would need some means of connecting to the internet when I didn't have wifi available to make it truly comparable to the access I have with my ipad 3G, so I have to add in the myfi, which my IT guys are setting up right now. I'm not sure what that weighs, but it's tiny and light, so not much.

_25317.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the Lenovo sititng on top of my 15" laptop.

comp2.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is the ipad, on top of the Lenovo, on top of the laptop. It's a little hard to see since I didn't turn on the Lenovo or ipad so both of those screen as black on black.

_25318.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here are the cords from the old and new machines. It's AMAZING to me how much the damn cords weigh!

_25319.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

What a difference! I love the pictures comparing sizes.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Set up of the Lenovo was pretty easy, but there are a WHOLE BUNCH of pre-loaded aps that I had to delete. Ebay...? I don't shop on ebay. Amazon... Type in "amazon" and save the space the ap takes up. TWO different weather aps??? What--if you don't like the forecast on one you check to see if the other one is any better? And all sorts of other stuff. All GONE now, thank you very much!

There was one thing SO FRICKIN' annoying that I was ready to pack this sucker back up and take it straight to the return desk as Best Buy: The edges of the touchpad are VERY VERY VERY swipe sensitive. RIDICULOUSLY so. To the point that just typing like I normally do my palm would "swipe" the pad and BOOM -- I'm no a whole 'nother screen. Over and over and over again. WTF. The CB fortunately knew how to fix that or -- I am not kidding -- I would have taken this thing back. There is one other issue that needs to be fixed: For some reason this big blue task bar-ish thing keeps popping up on the left side of my screen and I have to stop typing and click to get it to go away. That is probably also a setting thing that can be fixed, but SUPER annoying.

I knew I loved the back-lit keyboard on my old laptop, but I didn't realize the depth of that love until I was trying to use the Lenovo in the dark in bed last night. I will have to get used to feeling for the tiny bumps on the F and J keys again to make sure my hands are positioned correctly. I did figure out where certain other keys are pretty quickly (esc, back, stuff like that) so I think it's just a matter of time.

Now for the functionality... this thing is not exactly *fast*. I think it's probably similar in speed to my ipad. And I type faster than the letters appear sometimes, so I stop typing and the letter then show up. That's a little weird.

Through my company I can get Office for $10 so I'll be loading that on today or tomorrow.

Not much else to report at this point!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too Patient, I should also take a pic showing the height of the two machines together. That's a huge difference too!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another picture with the ipad on top of the closed Lenovo. They are really very close in size. (Please forgive the weird white spotlight that keeps showing up and glaring off the screens!)

comp5.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1418918034|3803629 said:
Now for the functionality... this thing is not exactly *fast*. I think it's probably similar in speed to my ipad. And I type faster than the letters appear sometimes, so I stop typing and the letter then show up. That's a little weird.
That should not be the case if it is the i3 or really with the Pentium either.
right click the taskbar and select task manager and see what is taking up the cpu time.
new computers are so packed with junk these days it is a pita getting them cleaned up.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Storm, I'll be better able to do this at home when I can pay full attention to your question, but I was just wondering if there's an easy way to know what orther sort of crap-apps and crap-ware I can delete off of here aside from the ebay and amazon type stuff I jettisoned last night? I'm afraid of deleting something I might actually need. For instance, there's something called Energy Manager. What could that be... ? That's just one example, and of course I can't find a real "list" that would help me decide what I can reasonably do away with. A lot of people also say to get rid of the McAfree that loaded on here; should I do that? And can you REALLY delete that? I remember trying to get rid of some other anti-virus in the past and even though it *looked* gone it wasn't really.

All this technical stuff (a) makes me feel like a moron, and (b) gives me a headache!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Energy managers added by the maker are generally ok and help with battery life.
McAfee is generally pretty lame, what do you use at work and do they have a program that covers your computer for AV?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what we use for work (I'm sure it's some crazy sophisticated thing) but the IT guys did put AVG on my other personal laptop. Would that be OK for this too? I'm just very conscious of the limited space I've got (which may be a mis-guided concern on my part since to me a ram is a big sheep with horns -- ha!).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1418935220|3803773 said:
I don't know what we use for work (I'm sure it's some crazy sophisticated thing) but the IT guys did put AVG on my other personal laptop. Would that be OK for this too? I'm just very conscious of the limited space I've got (which may be a mis-guided concern on my part since to me a ram is a big sheep with horns -- ha!).
avg is a bit of a step up from McAfee.
I would also install the free version of malwarebytes and run it every couple weeks. https://www.malwarebytes.org

You should have plenty of hard drive space for your use and don't need to be too careful unless you go crazy with itunes and movies.

If they are willing to work on it have them clean it up and put avg on it.

It could have been a program or windows updating that caused your issue and it will go away but its not a bad idea to clean up the garbage.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Would you recommend another anti virus, over McAfee & AVG?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Demon|1418937425|3803795 said:
Would you recommend another anti virus, over McAfee & AVG?
I like avast best of the free ones but it has gotten so spammy it is hard to recommend it, even worse than AVG.
If I was going to pay for it I would likely go with eset nod32

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I'd never even heard of that one. Sounds great except Cnet say "Surface or touch-based laptop users probably won't find the interface too pleasing on the fingers." Any other recommendations for a touch screen laptop? What do you think of Norton? I know people say its a resource hog, but do you think that's the case with them?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Demon|1418940675|3803830 said:
What do you think of Norton? I know people say its a resource hog, but do you think that's the case with them?
yes it is a resource hog and has a history of having bad updates that nukes systems.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Demon|1418940675|3803830 said:
Any other recommendations for a touch screen laptop?
It sometimes changes as one or another slips up but right now:
Lenovo
dell business line
hp business line
hp home line

in that order.
The specifics depend on use and requirements.
In general stick with i3 or i5 or amd a8 or a10 cpus for general use.
Min 4gb ram.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Karl!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been watching this thread because I've been wanting a laptop...

(Dee*Jay sorry for the threadjack to ask my own question! I hope you don't mind, I just happen to need a new PC and /or laptop mine is old and getting slow and annoying. :sick: Storm, I hope you don't mind the question either!)

I'm willing to spend up to $1,500 for a laptop - I'd like it to be as powerful as possible but also light. Most of the time I would just be using it mostly as a tablet / for surfing the internet. But other times I would be using it for business and want to be able to use Outlook, MS Word, etc., and not hate it when I do - I want it to be fast. Which line / models should I consider? And would Lenovo also be your top choice as far as desktops? (I'm in the market for a desktop too - I've been using Dells for my last 3 or 4 PCs and I've been happy with them (my model right now is a Dell XPS 420 - but I'm open to other possibilities.)

The other idea I sometimes toy with is having a laptop as my desktop and laptop - are there any models out there that TRULY can act as desktop replacements? (I understand I'd have to spend considerably more - but if it really was an option I'd consider it).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
CJ2008|1419079230|3804682 said:
I've been watching this thread because I've been wanting a laptop...

(Dee*Jay sorry for the threadjack to ask my own question! I hope you don't mind, I just happen to need a new PC and /or laptop mine is old and getting slow and annoying. :sick: Storm, I hope you don't mind the question either!)

I'm willing to spend up to $1,500 for a laptop - I'd like it to be as powerful as possible but also light. Most of the time I would just be using it mostly as a tablet / for surfing the internet. But other times I would be using it for business and want to be able to use Outlook, MS Word, etc., and not hate it when I do - I want it to be fast. Which line / models should I consider? And would Lenovo also be your top choice as far as desktops? (I'm in the market for a desktop too - I've been using Dells for my last 3 or 4 PCs and I've been happy with them (my model right now is a Dell XPS 420 - but I'm open to other possibilities.)

The other idea I sometimes toy with is having a laptop as my desktop and laptop - are there any models out there that TRULY can act as desktop replacements? (I understand I'd have to spend considerably more - but if it really was an option I'd consider it).

higher end i5 would be fine and plenty fast. i7 would be more money for not a lot of gain.
In that price range I would get one with a 256gb solid state drive and a 3tb usb3 external hard drive for when at home for more storage on the road. You have the option to take the usb3 drive along or not as needed.
Many people use a laptop as their only computer unless someone is doing Photoshop or video editing its generally fine.
In general its the same with desktops as laptops as far as brands.
In general I just tell people to pick up a dell for desktops and if they aren't gamers to shop the business line not home.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, Karl!

I just configured a ThinkPad T440s Ultrabook for $2040.

Would you mind taking a quick look through these specs and see if all the things I've chosen sound OK? I went with the bigger hard drive, but made sure it was solid state...I have to find the external you recommended...that's a good idea. I just wanted to make sure I had enough within the laptop itself to feel like I have space. And part of thinks a 1TB may not be a bad idea...although not sure how much more $ that would be.

(one thing - I hate hate hate not having a full sized mouse and keyboard when I use my husband's laptop - that's why I added a docking station (I picked one of the most expensive they had because I want to make sure I have plenty of options for connections, etc. because I want to be able to connect it to a full size monitor, keyboard, and mouse) - do you think I can use my existing Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse with this thing? I feel kind of...lost/confused/nervous with thinking of this as a replacement for my desktop...I just want it to FEEL like I'm working on a full sized desktop when I'm using it for work yet want to be able to disconnect it quickly and take it into the living room for surfing the Internet while watching TV...)

I probably went overkill on some of these things (like picking higher wattage for the plugs, etc.)...but I just learned that with computers for me I want them to be FAST - so I try to buy the best I can. If you see a place where I should still upgrade if possible (e.g., hard drive) though let me know. (ETA - I realize that higher wattage doesn't = fast. I think what I meant is I don't want to be inconvenienced later. So if higher wattage means I can connect more stuff without a problem, then it's worth it for it not to come back and bite me in the butt later).

Processor
4th Gen Intel Core i5-4300U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.90GHz)
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64
Display
T440s 14.0 HD+ WWAN (ETA what the heck is WWAN? Lenovo doesn't explain it in their pulldown "help me choose")
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4400 with docking connector
Memory
12G 4G Base + 8G (1 SoDIMM)
Keyboard
Keyboard Backlit - US English
Fingerprint Reader
Fingerprint Reader
Camera
720p HD Camera
Hard drive
512GB Solid State Drive SATA3
System Expansion Slots
Smart Card Reader
Front Battery
ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Front
Rear Battery
ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC Rear
Power Cord
65W AC Adapter - AG
Wireless
ThinkPad Wireless 2 x 2 BGN with Bluetooth
Integrated Mobile Broadband
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
System warranty
1 Year Depot or Carry-in

Accessories

Hard drive services
ThinkPad Ultra Dock - 170 W US / Canada / Mexico

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thinkpad t series are great laptops.
Not as good a keyboard as past models but they are far above average.
I would drop down to 8gb ram, its plenty.
The docking station is not really needed for most people.
A usb2 hub is usually good enough to make it easy to plug in a keyboard and mouse with one plug.
If you want more than that you need more usb devices a powered usb2 hub.
Don't plug the external hd into the hub with them.

With 2 batteries it is going to be really heavy unless you use it a lot where power is not available a single 6 cell battery should be plenty.
If I was buying one that expensive I would get the 3 year warranty.

usb3 hd, the 4tb isnt that much more than the 3tb these days it looks like.
http://www.amazon.com/Book-USB-Hard-Drive-Backup/dp/B00E3RH63A/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419105093&sr=1-5&keywords=3tb+hard+drives
Stay away from seagate.

This one is smaller and much slower and not as reliable but is more portable and no external power supply if you decide to carry it on the read.
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-Hard-Drive-WDBU6Y0020BBK-NESN/dp/B00DULWSXI/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SX28TGW0RQKVW5918NK

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
here is the screen specs:
14" HD+ anti-glare (1600 x 900)
14" FHD anti-glare (1920 x 1080) with IPS technology

Depending on pricing difference the fhd IPS is a better screen by a wide margin.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my apple, but it's frustrating not having a ten key pad.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much Karl.

Here are my revised specs based on your feedback (hopefully I understood them correctly)

4th Gen Intel Core i5-4300U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.90GHz)
Windows 7 Professional 64
Windows 7 Professional 64 English
14.0" FHD IPS With WWAN
Intel HD Graphics 4400 with docking connector (I'm a little nervous about this card - it's integrated - no way to make it discrete unless I go with the T540P model and they start at 5.5 pounds)
8G 4G Base + 4G (1 SoDIMM) (they don't give you ability to do 2 sticks which I would prefer...)
Fingerprint Reader
720p HD Camera
Smart Card Reader
ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Front (I called and they said it's not an option to have only 1 battery - the back/rear battery is the main one - the front one kicks in if the back one dies)
45W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
Publication - US English
1 Year Depot or Carry-in
3YR Onsite + Keep Your Drive + Sealed Battery + Accidental Damage Protection (not sure if this is what you meant by the 3 year or just the plain 3 year - this was $255)
ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock (guess this is a usb3 instead of a usb2 I think this is along what you recommended. I'm still not clear on the advantage of this versus their other type of dock...I will call and get clear, but because the other type does look like it may be a "cleaner" look in terms of wires - and I like the idea of pushing a button and undocking really quick.)

Doesn't come with a DVD drive - the rep said most people don't use those anymore and they don't offer them on this model because they add weight. Which I can understand. But really? People don't use DVD drives anymore?

I'm a little nervous - I may end up getting this and think it's not powerful/fast enough and still want a new desktop. Then again I'm working off a computer that's several years old so hopefully this will be an improvement in performance. But still, that's why I'm thinking I need to stick to something lighter than 5.5 pounds otherwise I won't get any of the benefits of a laptop.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
CJ2008|1419121696|3805028 said:
Intel HD Graphics 4400 with docking connector (I'm a little nervous about this card - it's integrated - no way to make it discrete unless I go with the T540P model and they start at 5.5 pounds)
it is fine if you don't game beyond internet flash and html5 games

8G 4G Base + 4G (1 SoDIMM) (they don't give you ability to do 2 sticks which I would prefer...)

1 is good if you decide to add more you have a slot
Fingerprint Reader
720p HD Camera
Smart Card Reader
ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Front (I called and they said it's not an option to have only 1 battery - the back/rear battery is the main one - the front one kicks in if the back one dies) ok
45W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
Publication - US English
1 Year Depot or Carry-in
3YR Onsite + Keep Your Drive + Sealed Battery + Accidental Damage Protection (not sure if this is what you meant by the 3 year or just the plain 3 year - this was $255)
that is up to you. damage protection is nice to have, lok at the price difference between it and the regular 3 year warranty if its not a huge amount more its likely worth it

ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock (guess this is a usb3 instead of a usb2 I think this is along what you recommended. I'm still not clear on the advantage of this versus their other type of dock...I will call and get clear, but because the other type does look like it may be a "cleaner" look in terms of wires - and I like the idea of pushing a button and undocking really quick.)
that is up to you, if you think you would prefer the full dock that's ok. Its overkill for some people others want the convenience.

Doesn't come with a DVD drive - the rep said most people don't use those anymore and they don't offer them on this model because they add weight. Which I can understand. But really? People don't use DVD drives anymore?

yes most people don't use them any more they use thumb drives, nas/server or the internet to transfer files, a usb dvd burner is around 30 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-External-Software-GP50NB40/dp/B00AWRTXVS/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419127917&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+dvd+cd+drive+external

I'm a little nervous - I may end up getting this and think it's not powerful/fast enough and still want a new desktop. Then again I'm working off a computer that's several years old so hopefully this will be an improvement in performance. But still, that's why I'm thinking I need to stick to something lighter than 5.5 pounds otherwise I won't get any of the benefits of a laptop.
what are the specs of your current desktop? It is fast enough for a desktop replacement for a non-gamer

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I entered the service tag at Dell.com and this is what came up (I couldn't quickly locate my packing slip - I bought this 2008).

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Clock Speed 3.2Ghz L2 Cache Size 6144

Available Memory
27.78 %
Page File Size
6,349.0MB
Available Page File
43.04 %
Virtual Memory
6,349.0MB
Available Virtual Memory
29.63 %
DIMM_1
1,024.0MB
DIMM_3
1,024.0MB
DIMM_2
1,024.0MB
DIMM_4
1,024.0MB

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series

Drive Size (I remember buying the fastest RPMs at the time but it doesn't show what that that was here)
916.5GB
Total Available Space
258.2GB
Used Space
658.2GB
Drive
D:
Type
Drive Size
15.0GB
Total Available Space
14.6GB
Used Space
0.4GB

How does this compare to the laptop configuration? (if I am looking at this correctly looks like I have 4GB of RAM now, so I'm thinking that alone will make a difference, right?)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will be way faster than your current setup by a factor of about 2x-3x on heavy computing tasks and with an ssd about 4x loading most programs.
Graphics should be about double.

Interesting your current computer is close to the speed of my main computer but I have added a faster vid card and an ssd hard drive to wake it up a bit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results