shape
carat
color
clarity

Kinda OT: would you clean antique silver jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I bought a sterling silver filigree bracelet (FINALLY! I have been searching for years!) hat is from the 1920s. It of course is tarnished. It gives it that warm antique look, but...it is still tarnished and looks more like bronze then silver atm.

Would you clean it or leave it as is?

antiquebracelet01.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dont mind the haze in th emiddle. Its from the pool accident.

Antiquebracelet02.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the patina of it, and I would leave it as is.

ETA: I think it would lose it's charm if you clean it, and just so you know, many collectors look for patinas like that on antique pieces, it is actually part of their value.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
that''s beautiful! I like ti as is, but would actually probably prefer it cleaned...

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks! I am torn between what to do with it. I have 2 that say keep it (my SIL says keep it), and 1 clean it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t clean it, see my ETA above.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Pretty piece! The forum also has a board called Jewelery and another called Timeless Classics where you might post about antique pieces and won''t be off topic. You can ask an admin to move this thread over there as well.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
removing the patina on some pieces actually reduces the worth/value of some pieces.

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d rather leave the patina alone for antique pieces. I have also heard that removing it devalues the piece of antique jewellery.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to what TL said, plus, filigree is quite fragile, so I wouldn''t recommend that you clean it yourself (if you choose to do that at all). Wouldn''t take that much to ruin the piece while cleaning.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys! I just saw your ETA TL. Thanks! I actually went to an antique show today (ironically it was the same day I got my bracelet!) and also asked a couple people. They said the same thing, keep it how it is expecially for value. So I will do that! I didnt know this forum had an antique section. So if admins want to move it there, that is fine!

Thanks guys for your help!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to clean it a little bit, but not totally use modern chemicals you can try a paste of baking soda, salt, and water. That way you could keep some of the look.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
leave it.The dark patination sets it apart from modern shiney sterling silver.Please be careful when using any cleaner on silver,even citrus,baking soda or salt based cleaners on silver as there can be a natural chemical reaction and strip away the patination or even discolor the metal.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
p/s...the patination seperates this older wire filagree bracelets from its 1950s or even current made pieces...some times the darkened silver is the only way to age or identify an older piece as these wire pieces are still being copied today.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks jewler man. I wore it all day today and fell in love with it how it is. I have seen lots of filigree pieces but they are all cast made. You dont see the intricate hand spun filigree anymore inless its 70+ yrs old.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, glad you''re not cleaning it!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 9:15:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Phew, glad you''re not cleaning it!
Is it ok to rinse it with tap water?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rinsing it in water wont do anything to clean it. I take it off anyway when I am washing my hands or getting my hands wet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results