shape
carat
color
clarity

Key West...info on hotels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My family is looking into taking a vacation over the holidays, and Key West is a place that my parents have mentioned a few times. Parrot Key was mentioned as well. If a family of 6 were going, and there were varying interests between everyone, where would you recommend staying and what would you recommend doing? Some of us like to hike and stay pretty active, while others like to shop and relax by the beach and/or pool. None of us are bar hoppers but if there was a cool jazz bar or something along those lines, that might pique our interest.

Thanks in advance! I will check out Trip Advisor too, but I wanted to see if anyone here has been to KW.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Zoe!
35.gif

DH and I went to Key West on our honeymoon, a little over three years ago. WE LOVED IT!!! This is where we stayed: http://www.centercourtkw.com/heron_hideaway.htm As you can see, that property only sleeps four, but they do have several properties on the website that sleep six or more. I would DEFINITELY recommend Center Court. The apartment we rented was very clean and modern . . . in fact, it had just been totally remodeled. And I thought the prices were very reasonable compared to similar lodgings in KW.
1.gif

While you''re there, you have to eat at a restaurant called the A&B Lobster House. Don''t even look at the menu . . . just order the filet mignon. TRUST ME!!! DH and I are still talking about that steak three years later!!!
18.gif

Hope you have a great time!
emsmiled.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi IG!
35.gif

Thanks for the recommendation! It looks beautiful! This is the resort my mom mentioned: http://parrotkeyresort.com/#start. It looks gorgeous as well.

I''ve never been to Key West (or any of the keys), so I''ll be doing a lot of research on the area.

I just talked to my mom and it looks like we''d go in February, during our school vacation week. We may end up getting 2 places -- one for my parents and my sister and brother in law, and another place for my husband and me. We''re not sure about that, but we''re keeping
open the possibility of renting more than one room or condo.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I stayed at Eden house and loved it.

Offered you a drink when you arrived, had a nice pool and daily happy hour. Very friendly staff, no hidden charges. Tons of hammoks and places to hang out. Rented bikes from them and explored the island with them, really the best way to get around in Key West.

Here is the link.

Eden House

ETA: Wherever you stay, you want to be in walking distance from Duval street, that is where all the action is.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2008 4:18:42 PM
Author:ZoeBartlett
My family is looking into taking a vacation over the holidays, and Key West is a place that my parents have mentioned a few times. Parrot Key was mentioned as well. If a family of 6 were going, and there were varying interests between everyone, where would you recommend staying and what would you recommend doing? Some of us like to hike and stay pretty active, while others like to shop and relax by the beach and/or pool. None of us are bar hoppers but if there was a cool jazz bar or something along those lines, that might pique our interest.

Thanks in advance! I will check out Trip Advisor too, but I wanted to see if anyone here has been to KW.
Key West is our favorite mini vacation spot. It's such a great spot for everyone you mentioned. When we go, we stay at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort. It's on Roosevelt blvd so it's away from the noise of Duval street but close enough to drive over. I'm pretty sure they have suites but you would have to check. They have an awesome pool (and really good Key Lime pie
3.gif
)

Places to eat
Hog's Breath--funny, laid back atmosphere think chicken wings and beer
Kelly's Carribean--nice casual dinner with a beautiful outside garden
Another restaurant we went to with good seafood that I can't remember the name to but will ask my best friend tomorrow
3.gif

And you must go to Blonde Giraffe for some great Key Lime Pie
18.gif

Thiings to do
Jet Ski tours!!! You can ask any hotel staff and they'll point you in the right direction. It's pretty neat. You go with a group of ppl to tour all around the Keys with various stopping points. We had a blast.
There are also sunset tours, snorkeling, and parasailing.
Ernest Hemingway Houseis a must see
And if the kiddos aren't too scared, there is a "haunted" tour at night. It's pretty cool (recommend a few beers beforehand or even better get your party drunk and you stay sober...hilarious)
I know there's a trolly that takes ppl around. Can't recommend as we haven't tried it but its a good way to go out and about.

I will get more hotel recs tomorrow when I talk to my best friend. She's there practically every weekend.

ETA: Duh the Southernmost point. I forgot to mention. There's a place to eat, and a private beach area. Duval Street is also a great place at night with shows on the boardwalk. Feb is a great time to go too as the weather is perfect. I updated with links above for some places.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
i''ve been to Key West twice and loved it! I recall staying at the Hilton resort once- it was OK. the other time was at a friend''s condo- that was cool. check out vrbo.com for rentals

Fiery gave you some good info, it''s all spot-on.

My favorite memories were of the Sunset Celebrations in Mallory Square- those were a blast.

And, as a huge Jimmy Buffett fan, I HAD to make the pilgrimage to Margaritaville.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions LtlFirecracker, Fiery, and Charger! I''ll check out all the places that were recommended.

There aren''t any kids in the family yet -- our family of 6 consists of my parents, my husband and I, and my sister and her husband.

I''ve always wanted to parasail but I''ve been to chicken to try it. Snorkling would be cool though. I don''t think any of us have jet skied before, but I'' love to try it. The jet ski tour sounds fun.

My parents would rent a van for us for the week, and if we stayed at a condo or some place with a kitchen, I think we''d plan on making our own breakfasts and lunches most of the week. We''d splurge somewhat on dinners out, each couple taking turns treating the others for a nice meal. So other than paying for flights, dinners (and chipping in for food for the house), and a few odds and ends (souveniers, excursions, etc.), I don''t think we need to budget more than $2000, tops. That''s what we''re hoping anyway. I''m not sure how realistic that is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results