shape
carat
color
clarity

Keeping your ring safely

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
OK I have a question for those of you who have e-rings. I''m not sure if this is in the right category but here goes:

My BF likes to travel and we plan to take at least one vacation each year. So for those of you who have e-rings what do you do about travel?
Do you wear it when you travel even out of the country?

Do you leave it at home? If so - how do you secure it?

I definitely don''t see myself traveling with my e-ring. But I''m nervous about leaving it at home in the event of a break in.
Also we have cats and we would be using a cat sitter and as much as you think you want to trust people I would still be worried.

Any advice? Should we get a safe deposit box at the bank and put it in there when we travel or are the safes in hotel rooms good enough if I choose to travel with it from time to time? (BF says the hotel staff can get into all the safes)
Thanks!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely travel with my rings. I LOVE wearing and enjoying them while I am on vacation. If I am in the water, I do leave the rings behind in the hotel safe, but otherwise, they are on my finger.

I realize that *anything* can happen... but I am careful, and the rings are fully insured... just in case.

I say, wear and ENJOY them!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a lot depends on how big your ring is, where you are travelling/staying, and the local culture regarding diamonds. For example, if I am going to western europe I absolutely bring my rings. If I were going to Costa Rica and staying in hostels...I'd leave them in my safe deposit box.

It's always a good idea to insure your rings though that way where ever they are, they are protected whether you are wearing them or not.

And a safe deposit box is always a great idea to have for important documents, etc.

lotsofsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I do have a safe deposit box but I haven''t had to use it for my ring yet. I get anxiety leaving it behind so I just wear it everywhere. Granted I haven''t been to any third world countries recently but as long as it is insured, I feel like it is safest on my fingers.
2.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My ring is fully insured and I wear it whenever I travel within the US. I also have a simple diamond band that I''ve traveled with sometimes, when I know my larger ring would be inappropriate. I just got a fakey that I will wear when we go to Jamaica. I''ll leave my ring with the in-laws.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
1-Insurance
2-safty deposit box when traveling to any where questionable
3-turn the ring around on your hand when walking at night or covered parking garage
4-put your jewelry in safty deposit box when you have work men in the house for extended period of time.
5-dont leave your jewelry in the bathroom or left on dresser top when you have parties,the baby sitter over or alot of children over to the house or have the maid service over to clean.

Better safe then sorry...ive heard some weird stories about children flushing jewelry down toilets,maids with drug habits replacing diamonds with cubics,guests stealing jewelry out of the bathroom drawer and whole jewelry boxes being stolen while workmen are left unattended, My own sister was ripper off of $100,000 in jewelry at a 5 star hotel because the maid had the code to her room''s safe.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I have a plain band that I wear when I travel.

My ring is fully insured, but I would pretty much have a heart attack if I lost it - I don''t want to go through trying to replace it. When I have traveled with it in the past, I did keep it in the room safe when swimming or near the ocean, but even then it makes me nervous to leave it in the room. I''ve also noticed that my fingers swell when in hotter climates, so the band is more comfortable for tropical travel.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same here. I have a band I wear when we travel. My fingers also swell in hot weather.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
A bit of both
If I am travelling in well of countries, within their well off areas then I take my ring.

If I dont want to take it eg activity holiday or inappropriate to the country then I will leave it at home, or get a safe deposit box and put it in there.

On extended holidays to warm countries, my fingers swell. We have just come back from France , and although I took my e-ring and had no problems with it saftey wise, my fingers swelled up due to heat and change in climate etc and I think next time I will leave it at home - much less hassle.

35.gif

d2b

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 7:54:46 PM
Author: Lynn B
I absolutely travel with my rings. I LOVE wearing and enjoying them while I am on vacation. If I am in the water, I do leave the rings behind in the hotel safe, but otherwise, they are on my finger.

I realize that *anything* can happen... but I am careful, and the rings are fully insured... just in case.

I say, wear and ENJOY them!!!

Just make sure the ring is insured while you are traveling OS,for the country your in and for what the period of time, not every policy covers you worldwide.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ALL so much for your opinions! What you say means a lot!

I'm sure we will definitely insure the ring.
One question on that...do you have to do something different/extra in order to have coverage on it out of the country or once it's insured it's insured no matter where you are?

At any rate I think a safe deposit box at the bank is in order. BF does want to travel to South America and we like to do fairly active things like hiking, horseback riding, zip lining, swimming. All of which I'd feel uncomfortable wearing an e-ring.

Thank you all again!
Any other ideas or opinions are still certainly welcome!!!!

Oh and Jewlerman - I love the idea of turning the ring around when walking in sketchy areas. BF and I live Down Town San Diego and there are many homeless people (and various other sketchy characters) and on weekends there are a lot of drunk folk in the main area of town. I think that's a fantastic way to "downplay" the bling aspect of the ring. Good advice for any woman not wanting the ring to get noticed!!!!!

2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on where I''m going on holidays as to my decision whether to bring it or not. I usually do bring it though. It''s fully insured though but I would hate to lose it. I love it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results