shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or Return

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big is it? (milimeters, not carats)

Cushion cuts are diverse enough, so for any weight there is quite a range of sizes possible and still called a decent cut.

For example, take these two 1.5 and 2 cts cushions... both curent listings and about 7mm square:

Carat weight: 1.56
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 64.8
Table %: 62
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: TN-STK F
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 7.26-6.90-4.47

Clarity : VS2
Color : I
Polish : Good
Symmetry : Good
Certification : GIA
Carats : 2.01
Depth : 65
Table : 61
Fluorescence : None
Measurement : 7.29*7.00*4.55
Girdle : STK-VTK
Culet : None

The first is less than 6k, the second more than 10k... (clarity is different too, ok, but there are 2 carat I-Si1 prices around 10k too).

You may have heard that extra depth makes them look small, but a thick girdle does it even more and this was the case with the 2 carat here.

Some may preffer to know they carry two carats on the finger, and without many diamonds around to compare sizes, the fact that 2 carats could look larger may never have much meaning. Otherwise, it is hard to explain how come these two made it side by side in the same database
9.gif

Digression ended... this is why I was wondering how big is the diamond you are considering.

Hope some of this helps your decission. After all, it will be how you like it. And seeing the stone is a stronger argument than I could make in a post
2.gif

RJB

Rough_Rock
Hey the mm. measurements are 7.80 x 7.20 x 5.20 mm.
The carat weight is 2.05.
I believe the girdle is thick. Like I said I don''t have everything in front of me right now.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mara

I do not know if what you saw in RJB's cushion is a malthese cross or not. It is difficult to say from the picture.

When I was on my Cushion Quest, I bought a cushion that had a pronounced cross. I did not particularly like it and returned the stone. I did however found another cushion that did not have a cross and am very happy with it. I think it is a personal choice...

Sorry to hijack your thread RJB...

Maya

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it non-PC to ask who the vendor is?

Anne

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 1:16:37 AM
Author: Mara
Just out of curiousity, how does ''random piece of crap from an online website'' translate to ''lumpkin''s M stone is a piece of crap''? That''s a huge leap.
3.gif

Obviously I was not talking about the color, wasn''t I just saying in another thread that I would love a good K stone? Must have been another Mara, the one who likes lower colored stones, yanno the one who owns a J?
2.gif

Rather I was thinking more about the potential cut quality (or lack thereof) and the fact that the color was hugely misreprented. The picture looks odd too.
I''m no one special on this board, just a member, so I have no authority to speak with. However, I know how I would feel if someone referred to my ring as crap, whether they think it is or not. If I were RJB I would be offended. He and his fiance like the ring and he simply asked if it''s a good deal and I think that can be done, even if the view is not positive, without calling it "crap." I was not leaping or saying that you think my ring is crap, but simply putting myself in his place. This, to me, should be a safe place to get opinions without being demeaned for individual choice.

Sorry if I''m out of line, but I hate that kind of thing. It raises the hair on the back of my neck.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. I don't think it's really crap but it's NOT a J as the seller referred to it as and I personally don't think you got a good deal, at all.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has to be said ...

Not everyone in the world is willing to make the compromises necessary to have what is generally deemed on this board as a "well cut" diamond. I do think its insulting to throw around words like "crap" and "random" .. we don''t know how long the couple researched this purchase or if it does or doesn''t meet the conventional "well cut" definition, we just don''t have enough info to tell. It''s true that it seems the seller either intentionally or unintetionally misrepresented his goods -- not a fan favorite, but let''s not punish the purchaser.

Plenty of good to average cut stones sell TO SOMEONE, probably a good 98% of diamond consumers really: people who value size & color over cut, lack the information to make an informed decision, or can''t afford to be picky about any of the above.

Giving opinions is one thing, but IMO there''s a fine line between giving valuable information & opinions and being a "cut bully".
23.gif
23.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
RJB,
In response to your picture .. I love the style of the setting for starters! I think you both have great taste!

I did notice that the center stone does seem to have a darker color than the surrounding stones, which may or may not be noticable in person. I mentioned a similar situation to a P-scoper about their ring and they said in person their stones looked identical in color -- so it may be a photography issue.

I would be wary if the seller misrepresented the stone, but then again - they could have been relying on a certificate that was accurately grading ON A DIFFERENT SCALE (non GIA) -- and not been MISrepresenting at all.

Ultimately it''s up to you ... did you love it in person, did it "have personality" .. look "antiquey" ... some K/L/M stones look awesome in antiquey style settings and if your girlfriend like that look "modern ideal cut premium priced hearts & arrows" stones IMO don''t always look right in antique settings anyway. Lots of people by vintage, estate, antique stones that wouldn''t pass "ideal" muster these days because they LIKE THAT LOOK.

Good luck deciding & can''t wait to see more pix.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHAHA now RANDOM is an insulting word? Do wonders never cease?

The original poster doesn't even appear offended at my blunt interpretation of what he MAY HAVE BOUGHT....I should have added 'potential' in front of random piece of crap and maybe it would have been more easily swallowed. It's just a phrase that I chose to use, I always find it interesting how others deem to interpret things or somehow take them personally when the meaning was far less interesting originally.
2.gif

I still think it could be a POTENTIAL random piece of crap that he may have impulsively bought. Of course we don't know the whole story, but he asked for an opinon and he got it. If some would prefer it be worded differently, then feel free to add your own opinion as most already have.
1.gif

ETA: After hearing more about the specs etc...we still could see more from this poor EGL cert...but don't like that girdle at all either. And RJB just as an FYI...consumers cannot buy at wholesale prices. So you did not buy at wholesale because that would be very close to or is the cost the seller bought it for. Obviously he has to make a profit so he's not re-selling it at wholesale. There's a huge thread previously on how people who try to say they sell wholesale are actually acting illegally.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Did the stone come with an EGL report, or did the seller just claim to use EGL standards when grading it himself?

I would either

1) keep and be happy with it -- you''re not going to find a stone with similar or better stats from the GIA for that price -- but assume that you paid what it was worth and did not get a "deal" (you get what you pay for)

2) have it removed from the setting and color graded that way -- you can''t really complain when your appraiser grades it to be within one to two color grades in a setting, but if it''s definitely two or more, then you can

The stone did look tinted in the picture to me, like the color it is giving off is brown instead of yellow. If that''s the case, I''d return it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and if you are considering keeping it RJB, YES have it removed from the setting and have the appraiser look at it.

If you REALLY LOVE IT, then don''t even bother to listen to anyone here. I personally won''t be offended.
9.gif
But if you just love the setting, you can probably buy it without the stone, or have something similar made with unique touches in a custom manner. Don''t get stuck with a stone just because of a setting!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 11:54:41 PM
Is it just me or is there like a big bowtie or something in the middle? It looks like a big unfaceted area in that picture.

Return it. A K/L is not a J.

Life is too short and money is too scarce (for most of us!) to be throwing it away on some random piece of crap from an online website with an EGL cert and an iffy cut quality. Next time do a bit of research BEFORE the purchase....
2.gif

Good luck..I hope you end up with a beautiful stone that is what you bought!!

A few comments on your post, Mara...I've read a lot of posts here about people who claim their "J" stones face up "as white as a G/H". Maybe this K/L stone faces up as white as a "J"?
2.gif
In that case, it wouldn't really matter, would it?

Secondly, all we have to go on is one single blurry picture. I've read on more than one occasion where you've said yourelf how many pictures it can take to get just ONE good picture of a diamond. Just because this picture doesn't make the diamond look all that great doesn't mean that the diamond doesn't look good in person. I know from my own experience of taking pictures of my rings, it's very difficult to get a picture that truly captures the sparkle, color, and true "look" of a diamond. I wouldn't be so quick to advise someone to return a diamond based on the way it looks in one picture.

I also think that the words you used..."random piece of crap" are a bit harsh! A lot of people (including YOU and ME) on PS buy their diamonds from online websites. How do you know that he didn't purchase his ring from one of the online vendors other people have used? I didn't see where he mentioned the name of the website. I've browsed most all of the vendors who are endorsed here on PS and elsewhere, and a few of them do have EGL stones in their inventory. EGL has softer grading standards, but as long as that's realized and accepted, there's no problem with an EGL graded stone.

If the most important C for his gf is size, and he is on a budget, this ring doesn't sound bad. Especially if she's already seen it and likes it. If it's acceptable to her, that's all that really matters. And she likes the setting. If it were me, I'd be inclined to keep the ring, and if later on down the line finances and fortunes allow (and if his gf so desires) an upgrade to a "better" stone, maybe even bigger, is always a possiblity using the same setting. Just an idea.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:29:05 PM
Author: suziQ

Date: 10/20/2005 11:54:41 PM
Is it just me or is there like a big bowtie or something in the middle? It looks like a big unfaceted area in that picture.

Return it. A K/L is not a J.

Life is too short and money is too scarce (for most of us!) to be throwing it away on some random piece of crap from an online website with an EGL cert and an iffy cut quality. Next time do a bit of research BEFORE the purchase....
2.gif

Good luck..I hope you end up with a beautiful stone that is what you bought!!

A few comments on your post, Mara...I''ve read a lot of posts here about people who claim their ''J'' stones face up ''as white as a G/H''. Maybe this K/L stone faces up as white as a ''J''?
2.gif
In that case, it wouldn''t really matter, would it?

Secondly, all we have to go on is one single blurry picture. I''ve read on more than one occasions where you''ve said yourelf how many pictures it can take to get just ONE good picture of a diamond. Just because this picture doesn''t make the diamond look all that great doesn''t mean that the diamond doesn''t look good in person. I know from my own experience of taking pictures of my rings, it''s very difficult to get a picture that truly captures the sparkle, color, and true ''look'' of a diamond. I wouldn''t be so quick to advise someone to return a diamond based on the way it looks in one picture.

I also think that the words you used...''random piece of crap'' are a bit harsh! A lot of people (including YOU and ME) on PS buy their diamonds from online websites. How do you know that he didn''t purchase his ring from one of the online vendors other people have used? I didn''t see where he mentioned the name of the website. I''ve browsed most all of the vendors who are endorsed here on PS and elsewhere, and a few of them do have EGL stones in their inventory. EGL has softer grading standards, but as long as that''s realized and accepted, there''s no problem with an EGL graded stone.

If the most important C for his gf is size, and he is on a budget, this ring doesn''t sound bad. Especially if she''s already seen it and likes it. If it''s acceptable to her, that''s all that really matters. And she likes the setting. If it were me, I''d be inclined to keep the ring, and if later on down the line finances and fortunes allow (and if his gf so desires) an upgrade to a ''better'' stone, maybe even bigger, is always a possiblity using the same setting. Just an idea.
1.gif
I don''t care if it faces up as white as a J or not, that is not how it was sold to him. Grading being off one or two grades is not unheard of with EGL and I wouldn''t even pay for that 2nd appraisal to see if''s a K or L if I wanted a J. I wasn''t advising him to return it solely on the look of the picture, but rather the fact that it''s EGL, he bought it at ''wholesale'' (BIG RED FLAG), that it''s misgraded and god only knows what else...and the picture looked funky. Does anyone else think it''s odd that the setting looks fab and sparkly and that center stone looks fairly lifeless? Maybe I am the only one who will say it. Having had a stone that did not photograph well that was not well cut and one that DOES in pretty much every condition and is well-cut...to me it could mean something more than just a bad picture. Speaking from my experience.

Secondly, I don''t care who he bought it from as an online vendor, that does not factor into my decision. If he said, well I got this stone from WF, I''d still say what I said before, LIFE IS TOO SHORT..piece of crap.. random website...etc etc.

The bottom line is that if he is happy with it, fine. I agree that sometimes you get what you pay for and if your budget is tight, you may have to throw a few things by the wayside. But he came on here to ask about it and I''ll be frank when I see fit. There are plenty of others to sugar coat things or make excuses as to why he should keep or it not just rely on one picture etc, a more balanced picture if you will. But the fact that he is still seemingly concerned about the stone tells me he''s really not sure what he did. Which leads me to believe there may not be much, if any, research on his purchase beforehand.

I just call them like *I* see them. Feel free to disagree...that''s fine with me. But I still hold to my own opinion and that will not change no matter how many people act shocked about my delivery.
5.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
5.gif
[/quote]

Not acting. Not shocked. Offended. And definately not shocked to have been offended, considering...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:47:06 PM
Author: decodelighted

5.gif

Not acting. Not shocked. Offended. And definately not shocked to have been offended, considering...
[/quote]
If you are not shocked to be offended, then why be offended at all?
11.gif

(This is awesome Friday discussion...I love it!)...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
11.gif

Ehh? Builds & builds & is bound to surface eventually. I''s tough, but not everyone is. I know the two of US love a good debate, but I feels for the peeps, Mara.

TGIF

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is getting way off track.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:59:21 PM
Author: decodelighted

11.gif

Ehh? Builds & builds & is bound to surface eventually. I''s tough, but not everyone is. I know the two of US love a good debate, but I feels for the peeps, Mara.

TGIF
You should get a bi-weekly massage, it helps with that building stress level.
2.gif

True words on the debate thing. It is Friday...I think maybe I''ll start a Tiffany thread.
9.gif

RJB...sorry to hijack with phrasing semantics...do let us know what you decide. And if that maltese cross is a good thing like H&A, I still want to know...for my future cushion purchase.
5.gif

RJB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the opinions. I plan on talking to the appraiser today and then making a final decision. I''ll let everybody know what I decide to do.
RJB

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
best of luck in your decsion rjb. let us know what you decide!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the stone looks yellow at all in the pics. I do see the cross. I also see a big table. I think that''s what is making the photo look a bit odd. I think that cushion has a really big table. Just a guess.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results