shape
carat
color
clarity

Kayaking misadventure

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, here I am at the top of a nice class IV rapid, one that beat me up pretty good just a few weeks ago when I swam the lower portion of it. I would show you the bruise, but this is a family publication...

Normally I make this nice class V move into the rapid to set me up, called a toilet bowl move for the way it swirls you around the rock and into the correct current, but for some reason I missed the move and sling shotted to the left about ten feet, putting me in a bad position.

I wish I could say I made a great turn and followed the pink path, but I slung so far out that I barely made the blue path...

top-of-slalom-oops.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know anything about kayaking but you sure looked like you had loads of fun.
1.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Which put me here, going OVER this rock instead of to the right of it (when looking down river, to the left of it in your view) which would have let me turn to to the left to avoid a nasty hole call seymour, because if you get into it you WILL see more fish!

up-a-rock.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are ok Wink and I hope you aren''t in too much pain with your bruise!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here I am coming down, with my momentum still carrying me to my right, when I need desparately to be going to my left...

over-the-rock.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now I am in a HORRIBLE place, you can see the top of the hole just beneath me. I managed to make an incredible turn and run like a rabbit along the top of the hole before finally breaking thought the far river left side of it and escaping to boat another day!

now-hwat.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YIKES!!!!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This shows you the path that I took

made-it.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Obviously the previous picture was shown just at the initiation of my back sweep which pivoted me around and allowed me to turn the sweep into a forward bow draw and power stroke, I am told I looked sort of like a windmill I was turning the blade so fast.

Here I am breaking through the hole, some people prefer to float over them, but I find that over rated when I am in a hurry...

busting-through.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek! Too exciting an adventure.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And finally I am back on track, fortunately the upload is small enough you can not see the drowned water rat look on my face...
2.gif

Wink

back-on-track.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
YIKES is right Wink!!!! Glad you''re ok!!!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Wink. What an experience. Glad you came through with just some bruises.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2007 3:48:05 PM
Author: Wink
And finally I am back on track, fortunately the upload is small enough you can not see the drowned water rat look on my face...
2.gif

Wink
I think I can see a wee hint of a grimace!
9.gif
emdgust.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2007 3:47:35 PM
Author: Chrono
Eek! Too exciting an adventure.

LOL! It was plenty exciting, especially since I managed to stay upright and to finish the rest of the rapid, including the part that hurt me, as if I was actually a good boater. It was another great day on the river, and another bit of excitement to make my time in the office just that much more enjoyable. I really love working with people, but about once a week it is good to take some time off to go recharge the batteries!

I walked with quite a limp for about three weeks after getting hurt, the blood moving from my gluteus maximust down into my thigh ached almost as bad as the original injury. Kept me out of my boat for two weeks, a real rare thing for me, thank goodness. I was so anxious to get back into that rapid, sort of like getting back on the horse that threw you...

Of all the sports I have ever done, this is far and away the most exciting and the most rewarding, and ironically one of the safest, provided you stay in your boat. I have more close calls driving to and from the river than when I am in the river, water is remarkably forgiving.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2007 3:53:09 PM
Author: oshinbreez
Wow Wink. What an experience. Glad you came through with just some bruises.
The bruise was from another trip, three weeks earlier, when I swam the last twenty yards of the rapid and hit a rock with my hip going over a 5 or 6 ft drop.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ya know, I am thinking this might make a fun avatar...

up-a-rocksmall.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it hard to follow exactly what happens as you kayak (even when you lay out a path in color) and what your choices are, Wink, but you manage to convey the terror involved. I am glad you are alive and more or less well. I hope that your bruises heal quickly.

Best of luck!

Deborah
34.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink,
that looks like an amazing adventure!!! You little dare devil you!
27.gif

Who took the pictures? How did you get started doing this adventure kayaking; how long have you been doing it? It looks like a blast and something I might like to try someday! Very cool dude!
10.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2007 4:37:18 PM
Author: Skippy123
Wink,
that looks like an amazing adventure!!! You little dare devil you!
27.gif

Who took the pictures? How did you get started doing this adventure kayaking; how long have you been doing it? It looks like a blast and something I might like to try someday! Very cool dude!
10.gif
There was a raft trip coming down the river. Our instructor is one of the owners of the company and they had a photographer on hand to photograph the rafts. She is married to one of the sons of my instructor and thought it would be fun to take some photos of us.

I started in 1976 right after we moved back to Boise, but after three years put away my boats for awhile as my wife needed help with the kids on the weekends. Twelve or thirteen years later I got back into it with my son, who is a world class big water boater.

Wink

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Wink:

Quit it!
2.gif
Whose gonna make our blingy stuff if you get hurt? Sheesh...
9.gif
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a ride! And Sharon is right--you better be careful!
2.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad to see that you are having fun. My problem is that I look at those pictures and say to myself... That''s a great place for a gate, and another here, and their.

I''d love to see you negotiate the gates I''d set up...

Another issue: water is remarkably forgiving. While true, the rocks arn''t

However, you are correct that as long as you wear the right safety gear and know how to swim a rapids (or at least how to get to safety) that serious injuries Kayaking are rare. In my 25+ years of kayak race judging, with some recreation, I have seen some really knarly water and lots of pinned boats and people who have bailed out. I have never seen a real bad injury. Bumps and bruses are common though.

Have fun, you are more capable than I. That water is bigger than what I can safely paddle (but I can most likely swim it).

Perry

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2007 7:01:28 PM
Author: canuk-gal
Hey Wink:

Quit it!
2.gif
Whose gonna make our blingy stuff if you get hurt? Sheesh...
9.gif
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

LOL, if I don''t hit the river once in a while I can''t make the blingy stuff if I go crazy...

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2007 7:39:51 PM
Author: perry

I''d love to see you negotiate the gates I''d set up...

LOL, I think I got about four 50''s on the top gates, I ran the bottom ones pretty clean though!

Wink

(A 50 is what you get when you miss a gate, pretty much puts you out of the race)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I call you Wink "Evil Knievel" Jones now? LOL! I''m impressed--great pics! I definitely think you should use the one for a new avatar!!
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 4:21:01 PM
I agree! Your current avi is far too formal
3.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you made it through without capsizing!
I don''t understand most high risk sports, but from your description I can see that kayaking in addition to being physical has a mental/problem solving aspect about it that can be quite compelling (especially when your gluteus maximus is on the line)!

Tubing down a slow running river is my kind of excitement.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/7/2007 12:09:51 AM
Author: risingsun

Date: 8/6/2007 4:21:01 PM
I agree! Your current avi is far too formal
3.gif
Agreed, I can not stand it so I have made the change back to something that will remind me of how much I love kayaking, when I do it right, and when I do it wrong, thus getting the "opportunity" to correct the problem. This is my first post with the new avatar.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/6/2007 4:36:46 PM
Author: AGBF

I find it hard to follow exactly what happens as you kayak (even when you lay out a path in color) and what your choices are, Wink, but you manage to convey the terror involved. I am glad you are alive and more or less well. I hope that your bruises heal quickly.

Best of luck!

Deborah
34.gif
Thank you my Queen!

When adrenaline flows the bruises cease to exist and the joy envelopes your soul.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results