shape
carat
color
clarity

Kauai ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm a 4-month lurker, finishing up the ring business (story to come later) and looking for a proposal idea on Kauai. I've never been so don't know the lay of the land.

I have noted a few hikes that lead to secluded waterfalls. So, I'm considering that or the beach. Any input is appreciated.

One more thing for the ladies, if you were going to spend a week on Kauai and be proposed to, would you prefer to be proposed to at the beginning, middle or end of the trip?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEGINNING!

I'd be so bitter knowing that he had the ring the entire time and I didn't get to wear it and show it off in Kauai.
2.gif
That's part of a gal's perogative, plus people LOVE newly engaged people....free dinners could be involved. Hee Hee.

We are getting married in Kauai this May...it's a beautiful island. You could do something like a snorkeling thing though that would be freaky with the ring in your pocket, there are also sailings around the island, you can charter a boat if you can find one that is not tooooo pricey, and/or helicopter ride. We did the ATV ride, not romantic but very fun and there were places we stopped off to look at the view etc. If she isn't a private person, surprising her there amidst the crowd could be fun.

I always still like the classic, simple setup with a romantic dinner on your balcony or on the beach (most hotels WILL set this up for you on their beach) and doing it there.
1.gif
Oh and rose petals on the bed with champagne in the room....I think the classics are great.

Good luck!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If you are thinking of the waterfalls on the Napili coast, they are stunning. But, it can be a pretty tough 4 miles in (tough terrain and weather makes a big difference) -- surrounded by other tired, wet people when you get there, and then a tough 4 miles out. Great hike, but the last thing I thought about when we finally reached the falls (after 2 miles of smelling smushed guavas with fruit flies everywhere) was romance. It is a great hike,and I think it depends on what sort of moment you are looking for. It was a highlight of our trip last summer, and for that kind of reason might be the right place, but it's not glamorous or simple. Just be warned. The person who sent us off on this hike had downplayed the difficulty. It's very doable, but it's not a casual day on the beach stroll
eek.gif

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. Just checking around a little in guidebooks and such, the Secret Falls off the Wailua River (that's on the east side) looks like a nice spot and there's Ha'ula Beach that sounds pretty good too.

I'll look into the boat idea. We're going at the beginning of March, and I hear the seas are pretty rough on the North side around then. Anybody taken one of the Napali Coast tours that can recommend an outfit? The guidebook I've got mentions a couple, but thought I'd see if anyone has firsthand experience.

Mara, can you recommend a romantic restaurant?

Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We didn't find alot of 'romantic' places on our visit really. We went to Tidepools in Poipu one night which is the Hyatt's restaurant and it has gotten RAVE reviews. It was good food, but made me feel a tad queasy and the atmosphere was kind of like forced tropical...because you're partially in a hotel. For us we were not impressed. If you are on the North side...what about something at the ritzy Princeville Resort? They probably have some sort of engagement package with dinner on the beach or something. There is one of their pictures in a magazine we had when we visited and the picture was amazing, looked like dinner for two with this amazing view and what looked like sheets of water surrounding the couple. I don't know what it was but it said Princeville Resort etc, so maybe check out their website.

BTW alot of the sailings around the island actually START off in the West side of the Island. So I'm not too sure what the seas are like over there but the climate itself is hugely different than North.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
The swells shift direction seasonally. I think the North side is the calm side during the winter and the south side is the calm side during the summer, but I may have it backwards, so check it out with the boat companies or someone like that. I haven't taken the boat rides, so can't recommend anyone there.

I'm with Mara -- we didn't find a lot of secluded, romantic places, but there are lots of beautiful places, so I guess you have to decide what type of atmosphere works for what you want. There is a beach on the Napili coast that is 2 miles in on the hiking trail. The hike there has beautiful views and is a good adventure. The water is too rough for swimming, but it's a nice spot.

We liked a seafood place on the west side called "A Pacific Cafe" in Kapa. It was better than most seafood restaurants in Hawaii, we thought. Upscale, but bright and open tropical style with interesting dishes. (Creative, fusion type food).

Sunsets at the Princeville hotel are a big deal if it is a clear night. The "Living Room" and balcony gets crowded, but are nice.

Good luck!

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
Well boys and girls, I pick up the ring tomorrow (dear Lord, please be perfect), and we leave for Kauai on Monday. Talk about cutting everything down to the wire. I hope I'm successfully masking my nervous excitement as just being excited about the trip itself.

Still don't know exactly where or how I'll pop the question. I'm planning to be prepared for the right moment, with a few possibilities tucked up my sleeve. Can't wait to post the whole story, start (rock search) to finish, for you ladies and gentlemen. I enjoy reading yours.

Back in a couple weeks!
Chris

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Bon Voyage! Have a great trip and report back with pics!

abba

Rough_Rock
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the subject is too familiar to ignore. I'm headed to Maui, and plan on proposing there as well. The dinner on the beach sounds fascinating... I'll check into that.

I had thought of surprising her while we were casually on the beach... the ring is spectacular in bright sunlight (some complain of rings going "steely dark" and this one does as well, but the color and fire are captivating IMO).

Good to know that the beginning of the trip is best... that's what I was thinking. Any other thoughts are appreciated. Not sure how different Kauai and Maui are as far as things to do, nature trails, etc. Isn't Maui pretty much resorts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results