shape
carat
color
clarity

Katie Holmes engaged to Tom...here is the ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
What I find interesting is that Kelly Preston said almost the exact same thing about John Travolta when she married him about having a crush on his when she was young and wanting to marry him and I think she even said she had a poster on her wall. It makes you wonder with the whole Scientology link. Although, I''ve never thought of John Travolta as being gay.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2005 2:08:23 PM
Author: AmandaPanda
She obviously knew who the father was (unless the baby was conceived in a petri dish) and she was the one who had a miscarriage, so I''m sure DNA testing was not really on her mind.
If my husband''s boys couldn''t swim, I would definitely NOT take any chance of having him/the media accuse me of cheating!!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2005 2:12:55 PM
Author: Momoftwo
What I find interesting is that Kelly Preston said almost the exact same thing about John Travolta when she married him about having a crush on his when she was young and wanting to marry him and I think she even said she had a poster on her wall. It makes you wonder with the whole Scientology link. Although, I''ve never thought of John Travolta as being gay.
This is old news. I heard a long time ago that John Travolta was gay in his younger years and that Tom Cruise was sterile and that''s why his first wife, Mimmie Rogers left him.
14.gif

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
Jaysonsmom - off topic, excuse me.... but I laughed out loud at your fave quote, that''s hysterical. Thanks I needed a giggle!
Abi

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just me, or is this scientology thing sounding more and more like a cult? A bizarre one at that? Just the impression I get, however I''ve never studied it, so I''ll try not to judge...

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
I have wondered about that too, but I know nothing about scientology. Does anyone know what it is about? Just curious....

For the record, I love Katie''s ring!!! I can''t wait to find out the specs!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Okay- everyone check out the CNN article. Don''t you think it is just a little contrived that they are both wearing purple? Hmmm....

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
OMG. As you can imagine, here in Toledo (Katie''s hometown) it''s all the news (and everybody here) have been talking about. All the local DJs are making fun of them. Nobody truly believes them. Hmmm, funny didnt both their movies JUST open up this week? And apparently according to the DJ''s there was a "war of the worlds" press conference today where he announced it? Hmmmm.

Well, I hope that this is the real thing because if this is just a stunt then how disgusting to make a mockery of the institution of marriage. Either way, I still think its a slap in the face to Chris Klein. To have your ex-fiance get engaged a few months after you end your 5 year relationship truly or fakely (haha is that even a word?), ugh.

Her ring is pretty, but I thought the ring Chris gave her was prettier (it was a HUGE 3 stone emerald ring, I saw it in Cosmo last year).

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2005 4:34:15 PM
Author: IrishEyes
Is it just me, or is this scientology thing sounding more and more like a cult? A bizarre one at that? Just the impression I get, however I''ve never studied it, so I''ll try not to judge...
Scientology IS a bizarre cult. I''m not even sure if they are allowed in some countries..

Its SO weird seeing him with her, he is just.. old.. and she is so... young ... why o why did he ever leave Nicole?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nicole is far better off without him. She carries herself with such grace and dignity.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in Dublin last month I saw a sign below a shop that said "Scientology Studies, upstairs". I should''ve went up and saw what they were doing!

reena

Ideal_Rock
holy enormous diamond batgirl!
6.gif

i read somewhere today that it''s a "teardrop shaped" diamond (ha, pear--and yes, whoever said it earlier, i HATE when journalists try to use diamond terminology and screw it up!!!)

i think i''m going to have to go to the mailbox and get my US weekly! i looooove when they do e-ring spreads. (although they always get the cuts wrong . . .)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes on the Today show they had some bloke from People Magazine that stated TC gave katie a tear drop shaped diamond. I wish I could get a job being the celebrity diamond reporter. At least I would get the specs right and could get to them before they pay way too much and send them to PS!!!!!
3.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Something''s not right here (I mean besides the obvious). In every clip/sound bite I''ve seen of her she has a tone that seems to say "I am making a big fool out of all of you." Or maybe I am just "hearing" it because the whole thing is so ludicrous. It''s just too "through the looking glass" for me.
20.gif

As for Scientology, I think it''s a joke. He has become a joke. And she is one too.
14.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Tom Cruise is an a-hole. He claims to have helped to take a kid off of "drugs"...ummmm, ADD medication. And that he caused her to grow 7 inches in 4 months. Not only would that be horribly painful, it is impossible. He talks about Brooke Shields like he''s had a kid. Never mind that he''s gay and can''t have a kid the way he does things!
41.gif

Well, any religion that starts off like this is plain ODD...(but then again, I believe some guy died and came back to life three days later :) ) Still, it''s weird.

" 75 million years ago, Xenu was the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets including Earth, which was then known as Teegeeack." OOOOKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY
20.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Author: moremoremore

'' 75 million years ago, Xenu was the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets including Earth, which was then known as Teegeeack.'' OOOOKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

20.gif

LOL!
9.gif

Did you see Battlefield Earth? That John Travolta movie based on the book by scientology wizard Hubbard? It was by far THE WORST entertainment attempt in the history of mankind. It sucked so much that my husband and I walked out after 1/2 hour and demanded our money back! hahaha

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2005 11:46:35 PM
Author: moremoremore

Well, any religion that starts off like this is plain ODD...(but then again, I believe some guy died and came back to life three days later :) ) Still, it''s weird.

lol, i was thinking the same thing
3.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock

Alright everyone...I will now deliver the truth about scientology...

Question: "Is Scientology Christian or a cult?"

Answer: Scientology is a very difficult religion to summarize in just a few paragraphs, let alone in a few pages. It was founded in 1953 by fiction author L. Ron Hubbard, just four years after he made the statement, "I''d like to start a religion. That''s where the money is," to Lloyd Eshbach; quoted by Eshbach in Over My Shoulder. That''s where he found wealth, also--Hubbard became a multi-millionaire. An easier question to ask would be, "What are the similarities between Christianity and Scientology?" The answer to that would be, "There are no similarities."

Scientology differs from Biblical Christianity on every important doctrine. Some of the most important differences are summarized below.

God: Scientology believes that there are multiple Gods and that some gods are above other gods. Biblical Christianity on the other hand recognizes the One and Only True God who reveled Himself to us in the Bible. There is only one true God and He has reveled himself to us through the Bible and through Jesus Christ. Those that believe in Him cannot believe the false concept of God as taught in Scientology.

Jesus Christ: Like almost all other cults Scientology denies the deity of Christ. Instead of having a biblical view of who Christ is and what He did they assign to Him the characteristics of some sort of lesser God who has obtained a sort of legendary status over the years. On the other hand the Bible clearly teaches that Jesus was God in the flesh and through His incarnation He could act as a sacrifice for our sins. It is through Christ’s death and resurrection that we can have the hope of eternal life with God.

Sin: Scientology believes in the inherent goodness of man and that “It is despicable and utterly beneath contempt to tell a man he must repent, that he is evil.” On the other hand the Bible teaches that man is a sinner and the only hope for him is that he repent of his sins and acknowledge Christ as his Lord and Savior.

Salvation: Scientology believes in reincarnation and that personal salvation in ones lifetime is freedom from the cycle of birth and death associated with reincarnation. They believe that religious practice of all faiths is the universal way to wisdom, understanding and salvation. On the other hand the Bible teaches that there is only one way of salvation and that is through Jesus Christ. Jesus himself said “I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6.

When one looks at the teaching of Scientology in comparison with the Bible they will see that the two have little if anything in common. Scientology will only lead you away from God and eternal life and the Bible will lead you to God and eternal life. There is nothing to gain by associating with scientology and everything to lose.

If anyone is interested in the more in-depth version you can find it at www.gotquestions.org it is a Christian Q&A website. Hubby and I LOVE it! So after reading the above judge for yourself....scientology...cult?

I wonder where L. Rob Hubbard is today??

20.gif

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
OH PPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE.

Giving up Nicole we questioned his sanity....but this?

As we say in Australia!

YA BIG LOSER.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought both Mimi and Nicole were lovely, but hey ,maybe third time lucky - what a beautiful ring she''s sporting
30.gif

upgrade-me

Rough_Rock
Saw the news about Katie & Tom. In the New York Post, they said the ring was an oval and approx. 4 -5 carats (don''t know if it''s true - it really looks HUGE)...

upgrade-me

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Scientology is tauted as a religion, but someone I know who has been a Scientologist since 1989 said that it was more a lifestyle than anything. Just like Kaballah, movie stars have prostituted the actually belief system, and made it a whole load of hoopla.

Does it have anything in common with Christianity? No, who said it did? And LadyluvsLuxury, not everyone believes in Jesus and all the tenets of Christianity. Many people here are Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, etc... Religious conversions are not necessary, and I''m sorry to say I don''t agree that the only way to do anything is ONE way.

Didn''t Nicole not adhere to Scientology? I remember that she was apart from it, and maybe that''s why Tom couldn''t handle it. But I doubt Peneolpe Cruz was into it. I bet katie is a perfect subject. Young, impressionable, malleable, and just B-list enough to do anything for publicity, like him lately... *disgust*
20.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
This website seemed to explain religions with out being affiliated with anything, just explains lots of different religions:
www.religioustolerance.org
www.religioustolerance.org/scientol1.htm
*that last one is part of the scientology section
the sites have some annoying ads and you have to scroll down

I honestly know very little about this, except for what I just read and except for what I see in the media.

I thought it was interesting that although Katie H. ''converted'' to a scientologist, this website claimed that "not being an exclusive religion, members are welcomed to retain their church affiliation when they become Scientologists."

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 12:55:28 PM
Author: LadyluvsLuxury

When one looks at the teaching of Scientology in comparison with the Bible they will see that the two have little if anything in common. Scientology will only lead you away from God and eternal life and the Bible will lead you to God and eternal life. There is nothing to gain by associating with scientology and everything to lose.

20.gif
Hubbard died in 1986.

There are many commonalities between Aleister Crowley''s teachings and those of Scientology, so I don''t necessarily think that Hubbard was all that original in his thinking or his teachings. The rest of what he made up is purely BS. BUT, regardless of MY opinion or what research has insinuated, I don''t think a biased Christian site is the answer to whether Scientology is right or wrong NOR a good example of what IS right vs. what is wrong
7.gif

I don''t think that any religion is the know all truth!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 4:41:39 PM
Author: Blue824
This website seemed to explain religions with out being affiliated with anything, just explains lots of different religions:
www.religioustolerance.org
Cool. Thanks for posting about this site. . .looks like a great place to read through when my son isn''t pounding the floor with a mop, as he currently is doing. lol!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 4:12:06 PM
Author: Nicrez
Scientology is tauted as a religion, but someone I know who has been a Scientologist since 1989 said that it was more a lifestyle than anything. Just like Kaballah, movie stars have prostituted the actually belief system, and made it a whole load of hoopla.

Does it have anything in common with Christianity? No, who said it did? And LadyluvsLuxury, not everyone believes in Jesus and all the tenets of Christianity. Many people here are Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, etc... Religious conversions are not necessary, and I''m sorry to say I don''t agree that the only way to do anything is ONE way.

Didn''t Nicole not adhere to Scientology? I remember that she was apart from it, and maybe that''s why Tom couldn''t handle it. But I doubt Peneolpe Cruz was into it. I bet katie is a perfect subject. Young, impressionable, malleable, and just B-list enough to do anything for publicity, like him lately... *disgust*
20.gif
I''m sorry where in my post did I say that every should believe in Jesus and that the Christian way is the only way??? You seem to have some other issues towards Christianity that you should take elsewhere. Since we started talking about Tom and Katie it has been asked many times what exactly Scientology is and I simply went to the reference I knew best for some comparison. If someone has some information comparing it to other religions then fine, please feel free to share, but don''t knock me or expect me to be sorry for bringing a different light to the situation.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
The irony of Christianity, Judaism and Islam is that we all worship the same God--the God of Abraham...and yet everyday thousands die in the name of these reliogions. But i digress.
2.gif
Alhtough I am no expert, these religions and other major religions like Hindu and Buddhism, are rooted in thousands of years of tradition and inherent beliefs that are strikingly similar when you strip away all the manmade stuff. Scientology sounds to me like a bunch of made-up, pseudo-psychological jargon for egomanical narcissists with too much time and money like Cruise.
14.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2005 12:55:28 PM
Author: LadyluvsLuxury

Oh, so you seem to be the one with the TRUTH. Why? Because you actually KNOW someone closely who practices it, or because you yourself have preacticed it...no because you read it in a website...

Question: ''Is Scientology Christian or a cult?''

Answer: Scientology is a very difficult religion to summarize in just a few paragraphs, let alone in a few pages. It was founded in 1953 by fiction author L. Ron Hubbard, just four years after he made the statement, ''I''d like to start a religion. That''s where the money is,'' to Lloyd Eshbach; quoted by Eshbach in Over My Shoulder. That''s where he found wealth, also--Hubbard became a multi-millionaire. An easier question to ask would be, ''What are the similarities between Christianity and Scientology?'' The answer to that would be, ''There are no similarities.''

Scientology differs from Biblical Christianity on every important doctrine. Some of the most important differences are summarized below.

God: Scientology believes that there are multiple Gods and that some gods are above other gods. Biblical Christianity on the other hand recognizes the One and Only True God who reveled Himself to us in the Bible. There is only one true God and He has reveled himself to us through the Bible and through Jesus Christ. Those that believe in Him cannot believe the false concept of God as taught in Scientology.

One true God huh? Have you seen him? Because last I checked no one''s faith had absolutes that were provable. So with the same conviction your post has about a ONE TRUE GOD, another religion could have about the mutiple deities, as there are so many facets to life that they feel ONE God simply can not explain it all...

Jesus Christ: Like almost all other cults Scientology denies the deity of Christ. Instead of having a biblical view of who Christ is and what He did they assign to Him the characteristics of some sort of lesser God who has obtained a sort of legendary status over the years. On the other hand the Bible clearly teaches that Jesus was God in the flesh and through His incarnation He could act as a sacrifice for our sins. It is through Christ’s death and resurrection that we can have the hope of eternal life with God.

Jesus was God in the flesh, and was incarnated with God''s soul into a new body for a new life on earth as another person, Jesus Christ, yes? Wow, sounds like reincarnation to me...which the Scientologists believe in!

Sin: Scientology believes in the inherent goodness of man and that “It is despicable and utterly beneath contempt to tell a man he must repent, that he is evil.” On the other hand the Bible teaches that man is a sinner and the only hope for him is that he repent of his sins and acknowledge Christ as his Lord and Savior.

So, anyone who does not do this is then what? A sinner and doomed to be tormented beyond death and pain? So if you don''t believe in Jesus Christ you are a doomed person. No offense but when people make the religion so cut and dry, to me, Scientology starts looking like a more sane religion. When I was taught Catholicism I wasn''t taught in such absolute terms of ONLY hope...

Salvation: Scientology believes in reincarnation and that personal salvation in ones lifetime is freedom from the cycle of birth and death associated with reincarnation. They believe that religious practice of all faiths is the universal way to wisdom, understanding and salvation. On the other hand the Bible teaches that there is only one way of salvation and that is through Jesus Christ. Jesus himself said “I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6.

Another ONLY ONE WAY and ONE TRUE GOD reference... How many is it now, I lost count? This paragraph actually makes Scientology sound more tolerant...

Wow, great summation. Looks like you weren''t saying everyone should believe in Jesus if they want good things, and the Christian way is the only way to be happy, and if you don''t you have everything to lose...

If anyone is interested in the more in-depth version you can find it at www.gotquestions.org it is a Christian Q&A website. Hubby and I LOVE it! So after reading the above judge for yourself....scientology...cult?

20.gif

My dear, issues with the religion are taken up by me and my priest. My issues with a post which I though sounded absolute and intolerant are with the person who put their name behind what was written in that post. Those are taken up here. So if you are trying to vilify those who don''t believe what you do, THAT should be taken somewhere else.

The post was about Katie and Tom and Scientology and what it means, not compared to your religion, or which religion is better or right.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I've figured it out!
6.gif

They both have the same teeth! (prominent canines--maybe they are vampires????)
23.gif
32.gif

9.gif
11.gif

KatieHolmes_TomCruise_150x200-c.jpg

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Nicrez, please don''t presume to think you know anything about me, my faith or my beliefs. Actually if you have problems with what I posted then why not go to the source that I got it from as I clearly stated in my post. Except for the sentence about the "truth" of scientology, none of those sentences were mine. As I said they came from a website that I frequent to receive answers for different questions I may have. If you have issues with the statements made why don''t you take it up with the author. Again I am not going to apologize for a post that you took out of context. And since you want to be so critical why don''t you search and find answers to the questions many others have had about scientology instead of patronizing. If you aren''t part of the solution then you are just part of the problem. I''m moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results