shape
carat
color
clarity

Just received two small apatites and . . .

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Just received two small apatites and am underwhelmed.

I''ve never seen an apatite in person until now. There are a few nice pictures here in Colored Stone of some, though.

Well, these two pretty much look like blue topaz that is about it. (They are the windex blue color.) Cutting on them is o.k. but no big deal.

Is this what apatite is about?

Maybe I''d like the blue/green ones better. Darn.

Thanks.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I have one from Gene that''s pretty fantastic, and I saw a concave trillion at a gem show that I mistook for zircon. I''d be interested in seeing yours - got any pics?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like with most gems, there are different levels of saturation. Not all blue apatite are "windex" colored. Sorry about your gems.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
those "paraiba colored" apatites are just fantastic looking..yum..yum..soft enough i might even be able to munch on one they look so good

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a windex blue apatite that is cut in an octagon shape. I never set it and didn''t like it much - I found out I don''t like these bright blue stones.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cell, T.L., Ammy, C.P. !

Sorry, no photos as my friend who has the camera with the macro that I borrow is away.

They are windex and are saturated enough. I'm sure Gene's is beautiful; he does some awesome cutting. Mine are rather inexpensive, though.

Still, does Windex apatite look basically like swiss blue topaz? Or is it supposed to look different?

Thanks.

Maybe a paraiba colored one would work out better for me.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I thought paraiba was an intense, windex blue - is paraiba color supposed to be darker?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a greenish blue, no?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
This is the vendor photo of my apatite and I LOVE the color, but I''ve read that they are too soft to set, so it''s just part of my collection.

It was described as "paraiba blue with brilliant baby blue fire". I think it''s actually a prettier color IRL than the photo.

apatite123.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 4:48:01 PM
Author:sonomacounty
Just received two small apatites and am underwhelmed.

I''ve never seen an apatite in person until now. There are a few nice pictures here in Colored Stone of some, though.

Well, these two pretty much look like blue topaz that is about it. (They are the windex blue color.) Cutting on them is o.k. but no big deal.

Is this what apatite is about?

Maybe I''d like the blue/green ones better. Darn.

Thanks.
I''m sorry you were disapointed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results