shape
carat
color
clarity

Just received pics WF 2 ct Vatche U113 - Thoughts?

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
I just got pictures of my AF ACA 2.05 F VS1 in Vatche U-113 setting. Let me know what you guys think, but the diamond looks very squatty... and it's not at all that graceful more V-shape look I wanted. Does the diamond need to be set higher?

1660778486642.png

1660778503774.png

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks great. I like my diamonds set a little lower because they can knock on everything. This way there’s less chance of there being an issue. But that’s my preference.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it doesn't look squatty to me at all but i like low-set as well esp for larger stones

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful and will certainly echo others in saying that you don’t want a large stone sitting too high. Too easy to whack it on things resulting in possible damage to diamond or setting. I assume you will pair it with a band so you wouldn’t want a low set band with a diamond engagement ring sitting disproportionally higher.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with others. I think it looks good. You can always try it and see how you feel and if doesn’t feel right for you then they can always reset it a little higher for you. I personally like it set medium low. Less chance of it getting it whacked or caught on things.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful, and particularly love the prongs.

I will say that personally I prefer a visible culet in profile, which can aid in delivering the V-shape silhouette -- but as others commented the low-set option does serve to protect the diamond and is overall more secure particularly for daily wear.

Unless you are located outside the U.S., I suggest receiving the ring as is and trying it on ... you may love it and find that if it were higher set it would be more prone to damage, and if not, you have the option to send it back to WF for re-set.

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
I think it looks beautiful, and particularly love the prongs.

I will say that personally I prefer a visible culet in profile, which can aid in delivering the V-shape silhouette -- but as others commented the low-set option does serve to protect the diamond and is overall more secure particularly for daily wear.

Unless you are located outside the U.S., I suggest receiving the ring as is and trying it on ... you may love it and find that if it were higher set it would be more prone to damage, and if not, you have the option to send it back to WF for re-set.

That is a good point. May be worth it to see it in real life. I didn't care much to rush getting the e-ring at the onset, but once we put in the order, I grew so impatient to see it sooner!

I understand the reasons for a lower setting, given the size. But I did request the standard medium setting. I'll check in with WF to see what they suggest. It may also be the white background or the angle of the picture that is throwing it off. It just ends up looking like a square block on top of the band vs that graceful diamond sitting on top.

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
I assume you will pair it with a band so you wouldn’t want a low set band with a diamond engagement ring sitting disproportionally higher.

We were planning on the Tiffany Embrace 3mm half band, so has a little height to it. But agree to take into consideration how it would sit with the band.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring looks good to me and not at all squatty. If the stone was set low the culet would be visible from the hole above the donut, which is not the case with your ring.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This isn't what I'd consider set low, there is obvious space below the stone. It almost looks like it is set medium-medium/high and is perfectly proportionate

I think given the tone in your other post, you might be looking for issues, to be honest. Maybe wait to see it in person. If this is set any higher I think it will look a bit odd. Otherwise, your issue is with the design itself, not the way the stone is set

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
We were planning on the Tiffany Embrace 3mm half band, so has a little height to it. But agree to take into consideration how it would sit with the band.

Just a word of advice, if I may. The Tiffany Embrace is a beautiful band. Please know that you will want to either wear a thin spacer band or solder the band and e-ring together. Prong set diamond bands will rub against the metal on your e-ring and actually cut into it. The friction can also cause the diamonds in the band to cut into the prongs and that’s how they get loose or come out.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I figured out why the ring looks 'squatty' to you even though the stone is not at all set low. From the photo, it looks like the 'shoulders' are meeting the prongs a little high, making the prongs appear shorter than they actually are. This could be due to the angle the photo was taken so definitely wait until you see the ring in person to decide.

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
I think I figured out why the ring looks 'squatty' to you even though the stone is not at all set low. From the photo, it looks like the 'shoulders' are meeting the prongs a little high, making the prongs appear shorter than they actually are. This could be due to the angle the photo was taken so definitely wait until you see the ring in person to decide.

@CareBear - After sleeping on it, I agree and think it could be the angle or the white background that is making everything blend in to a lump. I asked for a couple more pictures at a different angle or on a hand and hopefully that will solve the problem.

@Cerulean - Thanks for the advice! I'm not necessarily looking for a problem, but this is my first "real" and made to order jewelry that I don't have that in-person experience seeing it before buying. And at the price of a new car, I just wanted to make sure it was perfect. I inspected my car for scratches and function before driving it off the lot. So I agree that it's a bit of first buyer angst and grateful this forum has been understanding and helping me through the journey! :pray:

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
This is what I was comparing my picture to and hopefully it's just the angle and white background that is making it look stubby. Will share the new pictures I get when I receive them. Thank you for all your time and advice!

Picture from WF of another Vatche U113
1660834303411.png
1660834311700.png
1660834320453.png

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is what I was comparing my picture to and hopefully it's just the angle and white background that is making it look stubby. Will share the new pictures I get when I receive them. Thank you for all your time and advice!

Picture from WF of another Vatche U113
1660834303411.png
1660834311700.png
1660834320453.png

The top photo here is not the U113. It's a 3+ carat Tiffany. If I remember correctly,the poster mentioned she had Tiffany redo the setting because the original Tiffany setting did not set the stone this high.

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
The top photo here is not the U113. It's a 3+ carat Tiffany. If I remember correctly,the poster mentioned she had Tiffany redo the setting because the original Tiffany setting did not set the stone this high.

Ah didn't know! It's a picture Whiteflash Brittany sent to my bf early on in the process when we inquired about what the standard height setting was.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
The initial picture does look squatty to me. As compared to the company stock picture, yours does seem to have a small difference with a bigger impact- less elegant, and the proportion seems off.

I hope the other posters are correct that it is just the angle. If not, I would definitely have it slightly altered to match the stock photo.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'm seeing a slight difference between your ring and the examples WF sent you. I feel like the middle ring looks closer to yours...I think Carebear is on to something, the shoulders of your ring go up higher, making the prongs look a bit shorter.

I hope this is all just a matter of different pic angles and you love your ring when you see it @Nycpanda. FWIW I agree with you, this is an expensive purchase and your ering, it should look the way you want it to.

eta - forgot to add...you've chosen a beautiful diamond and setting!

Last edited:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hope it all works out for you. Please send us an update when you get more pics from WF. They can certainly redo it to your satisfaction.

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
That. is an absolutely stunning ring. And someone will be very, very happy with it. Can anyone be 'not happy' with a WF 2 carat, F VS1 ACA diamond.....

WF metalwork fit and finish QC isn't quite as good as the top tier jewellers. I don't know if this applies to the branded Vetch settings. However, you don't want a 2Ct stone set too high as it is quite a large piece.

Ask for a video if you're concerned. The thickness of the setting basket - whilst it helps with durability - may in part contribute to the comments on the overall look.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
The inspiration pics are set the same way as yours but the lighting in the inspiration pics shows a reflection off the bottom of those diamonds, creating a white area that makes them look like they are set higher. So your diamond is set like the inspiration diamonds, but maybe when you saw the inspiration pics you didn’t see how low the inspiration diamonds were really set.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it looks a bit heavy with excess metal where the crown head meets the shank.

Wait and see it in person, but opening up the bottom of the crown where the prongs converge would probably achieve a more open and airy look you're wanting like in the inspo pics.

Attachments

• 1660778486642~3.png
    1660778486642~3.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 53

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
I agree it looks a bit heavy with excess metal where the crown head meets the shank.
Love the rendition! I’ve asked WF to take a look at what can be done and they said they’ll reach out to the Production team. Should hear back Mon. Will let you guys know once I get a response! Thanks for all your help and feedback!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To me, it looks like they used the wrong setting and it was too large for your diamond but they pinched the prongs up to wrap around the smaller diamond. If you pulled the prongs out away from the diamond, you'd have that V shape that's pointy at the bottom and wide at the top. I think they need to completely start over with the correct size of mounting and do it right.

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
To me, it looks like they used the wrong setting and it was too large for your diamond but they pinched the prongs up to wrap around the smaller diamond. If you pulled the prongs out away from the diamond, you'd have that V shape that's pointy at the bottom and wide at the top. I think they need to completely start over with the correct size of mounting and do it right.

:think: it is a bigger setting head because they said the Vatche U113 had one for 0.40-1.99 carat and another for 2.00-9.99 carat (+ $300). While I don't think I would go any bigger with a 3.75 ring finger size, my diamond was 2.028 and so they said it needed the larger head... is that why it might look off?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would Vatche swap their smaller U113 setting out for this one since your stone is a 2.02? I am assuming WF has to order according to Vatche’s sizing but maybe the smaller one would give you the flare you are looking for? Not sure if that makes any sense or if it is doable but might be worth asking? Still think you might love it once you get it - just thinking out loud.

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
Would Vatche swap their smaller U113 setting out for this one since your stone is a 2.02? I am assuming WF has to order according to Vatche’s sizing but maybe the smaller one would give you the flare you are looking for? Not sure if that makes any sense or if it is doable but might be worth asking? Still think you might love it once you get it - just thinking out loud.

Agree, I'm just patiently waiting for WF to come back to me after reaching out to the production team. My hunch is they'll be reluctant to use the smaller head even though it just went right over the cusp and if it gets damaged, they'll say it was because the head was smaller. But again, I'll wait for the response and to see the ring before doing anything drastic.

Does anyone know if the 30 day return policy continues or restarts if you send the ring back after viewing? In other words, if I get it, look at it, and request modifications, send it back, and it by the time it's modified and I get it back, it's after the first 30 day window, is it non-returnable?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, I'm just patiently waiting for WF to come back to me after reaching out to the production team. My hunch is they'll be reluctant to use the smaller head even though it just went right over the cusp and if it gets damaged, they'll say it was because the head was smaller. But again, I'll wait for the response and to see the ring before doing anything drastic.

Does anyone know if the 30 day return policy continues or restarts if you send the ring back after viewing? In other words, if I get it, look at it, and request modifications, send it back, and it by the time it's modified and I get it back, it's after the first 30 day window, is it non-returnable?

Not sure about all of that or how Vatche looks at the return policy either. Guess WF would be the best source of that info.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
One quick note about the "everything via email." It is not unusual in various business practices for the initial SA to bow out of and move the transaction to "after sale" customer representatives who may be in a better position to assist and/or provide technical answers that are beyond the scope of what the sales folks can offer. Sometimes, it can even be an internal protocol for the SA to not be involved once the sale is made, especially if there are issues.

With your offer to speak on the phone, it could be that since what you had in mind vs. what previous pictures were sent vs. your disappointment with how your ring appears in the photos, that they don't want to chance a misunderstanding or differing interpretation that both parties could walk away with resulting from a phone conversation. I'm old school and have often found that picking up the phone/talking resolved things more quickly. But, like you said, this is such a spendy transaction so it may now be best to stick to things being in writing to avoid future misunderstandings.

I hope new pictures will help settle the issue and hope that you are not turned off by online purchasing. With the aid of PS, so many people have gotten the very most bang for their buck. Is there a possibility of a video in addition to new photos? Anyway, wishing you well with this!

Last edited:

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
With your offer to speak on the phone, it could be that since what you had in mind vs. what previous pictures were sent vs. your disappointment with how your ring appears in the photos, that they don't want to chance a misunderstanding or differing interpretation that both parties could walk away with resulting from a phone conversation. I'm old school and have often found that picking up the phone/talking resolved things more quickly. But, like you said, this is such a spendy transaction so it may now be best to stick to things being in writing to avoid future misunderstandings.

Update: WF has come back to win me over with the customer service. They connected me with the production lead to call me and he was just the BEST. He explained to me you would lose if it was set lower and if it was set higher in the light hitting it and the brilliance. He also assured me it was set medium and where he thinks it should be to optimize the diamond in a Vatche-U113, which is obviously the main concern for my ACA F VS1.

He also stayed on the phone with me for over 15 minutes to just talk about vacation plans and family. He wasn't in a rush or trying to push me off the call, just felt so genuine to put me back at ease. And he understood my nitpicking for the price of the stone that's just shot up during the pandemic.

I asked for just a minor change to soften the edges of the prongs, which he said he knew exactly what I meant as they also know it as the "tiffany prongs." This was the main reason I wanted the call because words like "soften" or "round out edges of the tab" in an email are so subjective. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't interpreted as round prongs or bead prongs. He said he'll give it to the master jeweler tomorrow morning, send some pictures by tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully get it shipped out tomorrow before EOD or Friday. Super super excited to have it in my hands soon!

Thank you to everyone for bearing with me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results