shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got a haircut and I am seriously not happy :(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I just came back from getting my haircut and while the cut itself doesn''t look bad I specifically asked to keep the length of my hair if need be take a little bit off but I want to keep the length.

So what did the hairdresser do cut about 2-3cm possibly more off the back of my hair, the thing is when they cut it they pulled the hair tight (my hair has heaps of bounce) and then cut so whereas my hair used to reach the back of my bra strap UN-STRAIGHTED it is now about two inches off that STRAIGHTED
7.gif
. To add salt to the wound the hairdresser was like all done it is just layered more but is still the same length, like hell it is (I am actually near tears). I was too upset to say anything there so I just paid and walked out (also had the pleasure of paying more for my cut because I am female as well but thats another story
29.gif
).

I don''t know whether to call up and complain I was really specific about the length but what can they do now? I can''t reattach my hair back on. It is not like it looks horrendous but it is not what I wanted. I was actually really proud of myself for having the determination to grow my hair this long which is hard for me as I like to change a fair bit and always get frustrated but I stuck it out. I feel silly being so attached to my hair but I can''t help it I know it will grow again but right now it sucks.

I guess I just needed to vent, thanks for reading.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry Deelight. It always sucks when the hairdresser doesn''t do exactly as you wanted them too. I have been with mine so long that we both agree that I will hate him for two weeks to a month until the cut starts growing out well and I get more used to working with it. But sometimes, it just never turns out the way one had hoped.

On the bright side, hair does grow and before you know it, it will be the same length and you will be happy with it again. I bet you are just as beautiful as you were before the haircut...now your beauty will be more visable.
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the encourging words hun :) you definitly know how to make a gal feel better,
I think more then anything I just needed to whinge I tried calling my sister who is a hairdresser (but she lives interstate) but she was at work
7.gif
. Unfortunately I can never seem to find a decent hairdresser here and when I do they decide to move or leave the country grrrrrr.

On the bright side at least I can still tie it up, I will wait to see what the FF says when he gets home he liked it really long as well
7.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw I''m sorry. I know how you feel. My stylist has been cutting my hair forever-24 of my 26 years minus 2 haircuts when she was really busy and I really needed a haircut. The last time though, she chopped it. I told her I wanted to keep the length and lengthen the layers. What did she do? Chop off about 3 inches on the end, and shorten the layers. Now granted my hair was FRIED on the ends (no haircut in over 6 months AND I was growing out my nasty blond experiment from last year) so she was trying to make it healthier, but I don''t remember the last time I wore my hair down because I hate it so much.

I totally feel your pain Deelight. I''m sorry.
7.gif

But yay it''ll grow out!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, how unfortunate ... my own mother did this to me, six or seven years ago: she gives great haircuts, generally, and has loved playing around with mine when I was a kid, but she''s a big believer in short hair. So, when I cautioned her about not taking too much off, she applied her definition of "too much" rather than mine ... and I lost three inches in one fell swoop! And then, being the mature and dignified individual I am, I burst into tears. She''s refused to so much as help me put it up ever since ....

Of course, now that it''s grown back, she keeps threatening to chop it as I sleep when I come home for visits. I assume she''s joking, but ... sleeping with one eye open, I tell ya.

Your hair will grow back in no time, and right now, it will look lovely and full without the length to weigh it down: but if you''re upset, you should call to complain, just so that the hairdresser will be less liberal in the future (even if you don''t go back, some other client will appreciate it). And maybe they can make it up to you in the future somehow? If only by listening more carefully?

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I can totally relate. I am super attached to my hair, and I wait forever to get my hair cut! Once I told my hair stylist to give me a layered cut and I wanted to keep the length...I think she completely didn't hear the last part about keeping the length! I was upset when I got home, but in about a couple of days - it "grew" on me!
9.gif
But man did I hate her for several days... maybe try to make the best out of it and just don't give her anymore of your business or if you want, go and show her so that next time, if you want her to touch your hair again, she will understand (but who knows if she'll remember several months from now) how you DON'T want your hair.

I'm sorry about the short cut...give it some time and try to make it look as cute as you can...be creative...I know, I know, easier said than done!
8.gif
I feel your pain though. When I got my crappy cut, I tried putting styling cream and this that and the other thing until I made it my own! I hope you feel better soon!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I can totally relate. I have very curly hair, and have only trimmed the ends, never had a cut since 2001! So I decide I need some shape to my hair, and I go to get it cut. She asked if I wanted one inch off or two, and she proceeded to cut it wet. She kept reassuring me that it wasn''t as short as it looked. Well it WAS. I have NO idea how much she cut, but lets just say that she set me back YEARS. It takes a long time for curl hair to regain it''s length.

One the upside, it is more manageable, more breathable for summer, and look better than it did in terms of shape... but I wasn''t ready for something so drastically different. This is why I don''t trust beauticians. SOOOOO frustrating. I really love my hair...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I can relate! I just got my hair cut today and it''s way shorter than I asked for. Even while she was cutting and cutting and cutting I commented on how short it was getting and she said she was just cleaning it up! I won''t need to get it cut for 6 months!

Sorry you are unhappy with yours. I am more annoyed with mine because now it''s too short to go into a pony tail which I would never wear in public but on hot days when I am gardening or doing housework I really like to be able to tie it back. Oh well, It''ll grow back. But it makes me rethink returning to the same gal.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Freke I wish my sister still lived here it was always easy she just cut my hair and it looked good she is a fantastic hairdresser (even with my bias) Like you she cut my hair till I was 16 I can''t tell you how scary it was going to another person the first time
32.gif

Grrr at your stylist I hate when people hear you but don''t listen, granted your hair would have felt better afterwards but there is a way to do these things and with consent. Your hair looks awesome in your photo that you posted :) and I am sure it looks fantastic now but I understand the fully not loving it thing. On the bright side hair grows fastest in summer so here is to the fast regrowth of your shinning locks. I find massaging your scalp helps as well it stimulates the circulation :).

Circe Thanks for the kind words and understanding, I would have cried as well nothing immature about it. I think I will call them and let them know because really the guy who cut needs to know that this is not right. I went there because they cut my BF''s hair really great (mind you he has never seen this guy before) lucky me gets the bodge one. Thankfully my hair grows like a weed so really I only have about 3-4mths of growth till it almost all back.

Elegant I am glad you ended up liking your hair :) sometimes it does take an adjustment to get used to things, I am sure it looked faboo :). I don''t think I will see this guy again, his whole style was just not right. I swear I am just seriously tempted to fly down and see my sis every 3-4mths for a weekend of haircare and shopping LOL.

trillionaire Curly hair takes forever to grow but looks fantastic :D. I hope your starting to love the new cut, I hope you can find a beautician you can trust :).

Thanks for the all the support guys am starting to feel better (1/2 hour boxing session probably helped
5.gif
) like I said it doesn''t look bad it just is not what I asked for.

Better luck next time

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Swingirl That sucks, sounds like a bad day for cutting hair
7.gif
can you use bobby pins to get into a ponytail? or even a headband to hold the sides up? I would be annoyed as well I live in a ponytail.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Car talk has the mechanix files, where people can leave reviews of auto mechanics and its searchable by zip code. We should start one for hair stylists.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Man I'm sorry! Alot of stylists' are scissor happy. Did you tip? I would most definitely call & let either the stylist or the salon manager/owner know you that you are not happy.

This is going to sound mean/childish but I dont care it works for me. Whenever I see a new stylist, before they start cutting I tell & show them what length I want my hair. After that I tell them if they cut more hair than I asked I will probably cry & it might cause a scene. Now, first off my hair grows super, super fast but I ask them to keep me at a certain length & I expect them to listen I dont care how much cleaning up they want to do.

I have an appointment today for cut/color. I'm kind of scared (Mostly about my color) but we'll see. They have a lot of good reviews online but sometimes I think the stylists' themselves may add some of those.
11.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They need to know they didn''t cut your hair to your liking, so I would definitely tell them. On the bright side, newly cut hair grows incredibly fast, so it shouldn''t take long to get it back to the length you started with!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 4:46:29 AM
Author: reader
Car talk has the mechanix files, where people can leave reviews of auto mechanics and its searchable by zip code. We should start one for hair stylists.

Try yelp.com

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Reader That would be awesome :)

VegasAngel We don't actually tip here in OZ and I wouldn't have I know that sounds mean but he was not up to par not only in cut but service either, didn't even bother to style my hair afterwards. I actually like your idea I think I will have to employ that next time :).

Lorelei I will definitely call them tomorrow and speak to the manager I hate complaining but I don't like being unhappy with my hair either. I showed FF and he agrees it is definitely shorter and heaps thinner and while it doesn't look bad is not the best cut either. I actually after much looking at it have decided length aside I really don't like it.

ETA: LAJennifer we don't have Yelp here
7.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m soooo sorry, Deelight!

I had a recent hair cutting disaster, and I was so peeved that she cut my hair so short! I started taking Biotin about 30 days ago, and my hair is growing pretty quickly. Maybe something like that would help?

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Deelight, I''m so sorry! I definitely know how you feel. My hair grows very slowly (which is great for shaving, but not so much for my head!), and I rarely cut it. It reaches just past my bra line and I love the length so much.

I had a wonderful wonderful stylist for years. She trimmed the ends but mostly just shaped it to keep it looking lively and healthy. She then moved a thousand miles away! The woman who cut my hair next after that I guess didn''t hear my pleading to NOT CUT OFF MORE THAN AN INCH and I lost 5 inches. It took over 3 years to get that back. I cried!

I hope that you can find a great stylist who you can trust. I pay a lot for a haircut, especially considering I''m a grad student, but the money is more than well worth it for the piece of mind.

I''ve also heard that prenatal vitamins are great for hair growth. Best of luck that it grows back quickly!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stinks, I''d call and speak with the manager. I do hope you find a stylist who will listen to what you want. I''ve had the same one for ages, and she knows not to cut my hair beyond a smidge, hehe. Yelp.com is a good idea.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I''d share that after my appt. today I hate my haircolor, argh. Not only do I hate the color but I was quoted $65 when I booked my appointment & they wound up charging me $85 & wouldnt honor the original price quoted. I was quoted a "Starting" price-thanks alot for the guesstimate quote.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Just throwing this out there---since I am a hairstylist

There is an unbelievably large spectrum of hairstylists out there--horrid, okay, good, and great. The same rules apply for clients as well. You can get a horrid one or a great one. Most of you brought up some points that I want to address--

Deelight--I am sorry for your too short cut. Yes, you would think that most stylists would take curl/wave/bounce into account when cutting hair. I know I do! I won''t even cut bangs when they are wet. Same goes for ultra curly hair. I cut it dry. It eliminates the shrinkage problem and gives you the exact length you want. This goes for you too trillionaire--next time you get a trim/cut, ask them to cut it damp or dry, not wet. It will make a HUGE difference on the shrinkage. If the stylist won''t comply, politely get up out of the chair and leave.

When getting a haircut or color, remember these keywords. TRIM means 1/2 inch. CUT means CUT. Cut can mean drastic change to some stylists. It can mean 2-3 inches to another. If you want bare minimal hair cut off, NEVER say cut. ALWAYS say trim. When coloring, if you want sunkissed natural highlights, do not use the words platinum, really light, funky, chunky, stand out, very obvious, or heavy. Use medium, natural, blended, neutral, and complementing. THis is the most important piece of advice I can give.

As for complaining to the manager/stylist/etc-----don''t waste your time. The complaint usually falls on deaf ears. The best remedy for it? Don''t return to that salon. That hits them much harder than complaining to them. They not only lose YOUR business, but also any referrals that you might have sent their way.

If you want the best results, get an appointment when the salon is typically not busy. Weekday afternoons are great time for hair appointments. When the stylist is busy and hurried, they are less likely to be completely focused on how to satisfy you 100%. THey are thinking about how they are running behind, theres a color and cut already waiting on them in the lobby, their kids are still at daycare and times a ticking. 5-8pm and Saturdays are the WORST day to get a hair appointment if you want a thorough consultation. I know it seems not fair, but its just the truth.

VegasAngel--I gotta be honest with you here, threatening to cry and have a fit is really inappropriate. And yes, most services are quoted at a STARTING AT price. Noone can accurately quote ANY service over the phone. Most salons have a tiered pricing scale depending on length and thickness of hair. Hence the starting price. If you come in with a chin length bob of medium thick hair, you would get a lower price. Also, you have to pay for individual colors. If you have hair to the middle of your back, and want 4 different colors of hi/low lights, you are gonna shell out more $$$ for it. It takes more time, more product, and in a salon, time is money. Perms are the same way. My salon tacks $10 for each 3" of hair beyond the shoulder. This is because it takes more than one bottle of perm solution AND it takes longer to wrap. Thats just how it works. Also, I have to question WHY you would book a color appointment as your first appointment with a new salon? Most people don''t have a chemical service from a stylist until they have seen their work--either a previous clients color or a haircut on yourself.

Most (not all,) but MOST hair stylist/client incidents are a dual guilt scenario. It usually comes down to a client not being able to describe exactly what they want and the stylist not asking enough questions if they are unclear about what the customer wants. It is the stylists responsibility to make absolute sure you are on the same page before she starts cutting on your hair. And you need to stop her if you feel like she is not paying attention or "getting" what you want.

Some helpful hints for ANYONE visiting a salon
Show up at least 10 minutes early. The stylist will respect you more and be more apt to help you out. When you breeze in 10 minutes late, its disrespectful. And yes, the stylist will tell you its okay, but its not. You just put them behind for the rest of the day.

When you bring a picture in, realize that YOUR hair will NOT look EXACTLY like the picture. Ever. Its physically impossible. No 2 people have the same hair. It will be close, but not exact. Any varying waves and curl will drastically change what the outcome is.

Don''t tell the stylist that noone has ever done your hair "right". If you are one of those people, I hate to say, you will NEVER find someone who will do it perfect for you. Its not an exact science, and you are probably being overly anal and picky.

Don''t treat your stylist like gum on the bottom of your shoe. I have seen MANY women do this. If you are lucky enough to get a good stylist, cherish them. Tip them well, keep your appointments, and be polite and gracious. You never know when they might have to bail you out of a gum in the hair snafu or other debacle. When clients are late, rude, overly demanding, threatening to throw a fit in the chair, never happy with any service you give them, etc etc a stylist WILL find a way to get rid of them. And let me tell you, its not pretty. It can be a lousy cut or a lousy color or making sure their books are always "full" when you call for an appointment. Most stylists do have a "bad client" list, and they methodically weed them out for new people who are appreciative.

Whew! Sorry for the long rant on this one! I don''t mean to be overly harsh or mean, but wanted to interject the opposing viewpoint since I live it everyday. I will say that I have never resorted to screwing someones hair up to get rid of them as a client, as I believe its unprofessional and uncalled for, but I have ripped a few capes off and told the customer firmly but politely to never return to my salon again. After 14 years of doing hair I have seen pretty much everything, and this post sums most of it up! Hope it sheds some light for some of you.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
^^ What is inappropriate is a stylist who does the exact opposite of what their clients ask. So, If scaring them is what I have to do to get what I want-Since a good majority of stylists in Vegas need extended training- that is what I'll do. Second, if the prices vary by length, pull through etc. I should have been told that up front which I wasnt or told to come in for consultation. Another woman who was checking out before me was also misquoted but her original quote was honored.

Salons/stylists these days are such big rip-offs as it is I might start doing my own color for what $6 a box? I can afford to make a few mistakes & learn as I go.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I completley feel ya. I recently went in for a trim and lost 4 inches. The stylist decided to trim to my top layer. I WAS PO''ed. Not to mention my wedding being in 99 days. OMG.

I hope that it will grow fast and the FF likes it too.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Salons/stylists these days are such big rip-offs as it is I might start doing my own color for what $6 a box? I can afford to make a few mistakes & learn as I go.[/u]

Good luck with that Vegas. It will then cost you $100's to have it fixed. by a PROFESSIONAL. Theres a reason hair color is 6 bucks a box. Its backed my an inexperienced person who can and USUALLY does mess it up.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I used to do a great job when I was doing my own hair but it was blonde then. I''m sure I can get back into the swing of things. I love it when stylists like to make people think it''s impossible for people to do home hair color. Anyway, this thread isnt about me so, peace.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Vegas--
I agree on the peace out. This is my final word on it. I can honestly say that I am not opposed to people coloring their own hair. In this current economic time, its not always financially possible for people to pay a salon to do it. If you have a basic color and its a simple one color job (ie no highlights or lowlights or radical bleach job) yes, you can do it your own. I have actually given color formulas to people who want to do this. I would rather share that info with them and help them rather than have them take a risk and have a massive color correction procedure. It appears to me that you have had a rather negative experience with the hair industry. Your opinions about stylists, their lack of "training" where you live, the prices of salons, and your snarky comments make that rather obvious. I didn't make my original reply post to have a personal spar with you. However, you seem to have repetitive bad experiences with stylists, and I was hoping to give you a professional glimpse as to how you may be a little bit responsible for the negative outcomes you keep getting. I hope you get the results you want by coloring your own hair. And I hope you find a stylist that can give you a cut you like. Good Luck!
1.gif

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, communication (or OVER communication) is KEY. The last year I have been going to this great guy who always KNEW to not take off more than 1/2 inch, 1 inch max! He would always say "Never cut your hair short girl, I'm going to give you BIG sexy hair!" hehe. I loved going to him. He always knew exactly what I wanted.

last month I went to book an appointment...and he had moved to arizona =( =( I asked for someone else that they'd recommend.

After working with my guy for so long, I think I forgot how much you really have to explain to someone new. But, he was highly recommended, and I did consent to take off a bit more than usual ("I think we should make the layers around your face a little shorter to frame your face" and he indicated with his hand that they would hit at the bottom of my chin) I've had layers that short before, and I was fine with it.

So he goes through the whole haircut, and I'm thinking "well, its more hair off than usual, but thats okay, we talked about that." And then he blow drys and is styling, and then he takes out a razor, and I'm thinking "okay, maybe he's just cleaning up a few of the ends" and then he exclaims "Its TOO HEAVY around your face" (imagine this in a crazy european hairstylist accent) and just starts CHOP CHOP CHOPPING the parts around my face. Literally there were a few pieces that were only eye-level length...they would have been bangs if there were more of them. I felt so blind-sided...and my birthday party was that evening =(

A month later, I really like my haircut, but those little pieces are still annoying.They kind of stick out and I can't pull them back..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry Deelight! I would call them, and let them know they''ve lost a customer because they didn''t listen.

That sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you are sitting in that chair is the worst. ((HUGS))

Hairgirl, have you been over to the Bridal Boards? We can always use some great hair tips over there.

marriedwithdiamonds

Rough_Rock
i am a stylist too and i have to say that what hairgirl wrote IS accurate!

i only keep gracious clients

also i LOVE at home haircolor, it brings in so many corrections!

if anyone thinks that store bought color is just as good as a salon coloring they are using the wrong stylist
17.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, you guys are making me nervous! I have an appointment tomorrow for a BIG change (much shorter, and I''m starting the process of going blond!) and now I''m nervous it''ll turn out horribly. (I know I''m risking it by getting colour done before I''ve really road tested the stylist, but I really need this change.)

*breathes deeply*

spike13

Shiny_Rock
I can relate. I think a big part of the frustration is that they don''t listen to you. I mean if you specifically say "I want x" and then they just do what they want - even if it looks great - you just paid $$ for something you didn''t want and can''t return!

I"m sorry that happened. At least it doesn''t look bad. And honestly it will grow back healthier if that''s any consolation at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results