shape
carat
color
clarity

Just curious, has anyone gotten lucky at a mall store?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewDiamondMan

Rough_Rock
I have been reading threads for a few weeks now (relatively new here) and it seems that some people are not big fans of mall stores (and everyone is entitled to their own opinion). It seems to me that the reasons for this are because 1.) sometimes the quality of the diamonds might be lower 2.) sometimes the price might be higher and 3.) sometimes the salespeople are not particularly knowledgeable. I know this is not all cases (I dont want to offend anyone).

So here is my question - I do believe that some mall stores carry quality stones, possibly at very good prices. If GIA and AGS do not make note of hearts and arrows, and assuming a mall store might not specify H and A or pay strict attention to cut detail (relative to some of the internet sites), is it possible that a consumer who is very knowledgeable about cut could find an unbelievable deal on a high quality stone that might have fallen through the cracks and the store didnt realize it? Does anyone know anybody who has been lucky enough to come across an ideal cut or an H and A stone at a mall store, but not have to pay the cost of one since the store isnt knowledgeable about them?

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 8:43:37 PM
Author:NewDiamondMan
I have been reading threads for a few weeks now (relatively new here) and it seems that some people are not big fans of mall stores (and everyone is entitled to their own opinion). It seems to me that the reasons for this are because 1.) sometimes the quality of the diamonds might be lower 2.) sometimes the price might be higher and 3.) sometimes the salespeople are not particularly knowledgeable. I know this is not all cases (I dont want to offend anyone).

So here is my question - I do believe that some mall stores carry quality stones, possibly at very good prices. If GIA and AGS do not make note of hearts and arrows, and assuming a mall store might not specify H and A or pay strict attention to cut detail (relative to some of the internet sites), is it possible that a consumer who is very knowledgeable about cut could find an unbelievable deal on a high quality stone that might have fallen through the cracks and the store didnt realize it? Does anyone know anybody who has been lucky enough to come across an ideal cut or an H and A stone at a mall store, but not have to pay the cost of one since the store isnt knowledgeable about them?

Personally, I highly doubt it. Remember, the people who have no knowledge are the SALESPEOPLE in a place like this. There are people on staff and on site that know something about diamonds, you just don''t get to deal with them--you have to deal with someone who knows less than you do.

Of course, as always, these are just generalizations.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Once, when I was a junior in high school, there was this girl who worked at the Karmel Korn store in the mall. So one day, the mall was already closed and I was just hangin'' around chatting with her as she cleaned up. Oops, I think I misunderstood the topic of this thread
9.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jasontb beet me to my story... However, I didn''t have to pay or charge rent...
2.gif

On a more serious side of things (back to the real world).

There are occasionally independent stores in shopping malls that are as good - or better - than other independent stores in the area. I know of one in Green Bay. I think it is now a 3rd generation family store. The diamonds were better than average, and the staff was knowledgable and did not pressure you - and willing to educate you (and an honest education as well).

However, the chain stores seem not to be that inviting for me. The name of their game is "instant sales" by whatever means seems appropriate.

Look to see if their is an independent store in a mall - and check them out. They face a tradeoff that the higher rents of a mall also provides a lot of traffic, and a certain amount of security. In the right location - an independant can do well in a mall.

Perry

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Do you really want to spend your time searching thru a haystack to find a needle?

I say you contact the EXPERTS at a couple of online vendors. Tell them what you''re looking for, and they will do the legwork for you. Of course, this doesn''t mean that you can slack off and not educate yourself. Definiately do that so you can learn what your priorities are, and communicate that to your vendors

GOOD LUCK!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the jewelry store has to buy their diamonds somewhere, they''ll be paying the wholesale price on a H&A stone, and I can assure you, they will be passing along the price premium to you!

The online vendors apparently can sell at a lower price because they sell a higher quantity being online as opposed to just local sales.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
NewDiamondMan

Do not expect any "deals" in a mall store because the sales clerk doesn''t know anything about diamonds. You better believe that the person that put the price tag on the stone knows about one thing for sure...The price!

If you do get a deal it will be because some poor salesperson made a bad mistake and will not have a job very soon. Don''t expect that to happen.

Remember just because the price tag says $10,000 and they are giving you a "Special Deal" for today only and will give it to you for $5,000, that is not a "deal" it is all smoke. They have the diamond on memo from a diamond cutter and the cost to them is $3,000. They mark it up to $10k and when a customer walks in the is on special for $5k. The customer bites and the store makes $2k on something they will not have to pay for in 30 days. Such a deal!

trigirl

Rough_Rock
CD Peacock and Bailey Banks and Biddle are "mall" stores in the Chicago. I would happily have my jewelry from those stores.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Successful businesses will offer their customers what they are looking for. IMO, in the case of mall chain stores, generally the clientelle are not especially educated as far as diamonds go and are mostly concerned with a) size, b) color and c) clarity (probably in that order).

Since the store will be charged more by their supplier for a diamond of excellent cut, they will have to sell it for more than their other stock and for the most part their customers will not be persuaded of the added value, partly because the sales staff likely doesn''t know. They will probably have a harder time selling these goods since they aren''t as well matched to their customers'' demand.

Given this, why would these stores bring in this type of stock?

Mark

NewDiamondMan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I am still pretty new and have found myself "addicted" to reading these threads now. I guess shopping online is still a new concept to me - Ive always been the type to like to see in person, to pick up, look at, and check out the things I am buying myself. I think the online stores are great for price comparisons and hopefully for future purchases of mine (all because of what pricescope has taught me)! I like to think I have elevated myself somewhat from being an average customer to a more informed customer. I think the problem still stems from the fact that at a lot of stores I have visited, many just do not have the type of instruments (idealscope for example) to check out diamonds (without the customer purchasing one themselves).

Anyway, thanks again!

BTW, after I submitted the thread, I realized the wording of the topic might not have been the best....
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results