shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought, not sure of age or if I got a good deal. Help!

dukenkjp

Rough_Rock
Just purchased this ring, will be asking her to marry me on Feb 20th. I've never bought an antique ring before, and I'm scared that i made a wrong choice. Looking for any information on this piece. estimated at .75ct center maybe more, 1.10 total. There is a carbon inclusion on center diamond, Platinum (double stamped??), and not sure of era, if old mined or old European cut. He had no documents. i paid $1,000 U.S. Did I make a good choice? Is it pretty enough? old mined or European cut? Too plain? Did I get reamed on purchase price? What is an estimated value? Should I get a formal appraisal? Any help, opinion or thoughts would be great. Thank you for your input.
Josh

535129344_o.jpg

535129358_o.jpg

535129370_o.jpg

535129387_o.jpg

dukenkjp

Rough_Rock
Re: Just bought, not sure of age or if I got a good deal. He

One more

535129333_o.jpg

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

For what it's worth, I think it's a stunning ring. Do you think your girlfriend will love it? That's all that really matters. I would go ahead and get an independent appraisal just to know what you bought. Considering the price of diamonds and platinum, I certainly don't believe you got reamed. But there are a lot of other factors at play, color, clarity, etc. that can affect its value. I don't think you were ripped off regardless. That's a great size center stone as well. It's a ring I would be proud to wear! It looks like a transitional cut to me, but maybe someone else can chime in on that. It's gorgeous. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Very pretty. Yes, please get an appraisal for insurance purposes. The appraiser can let you know about the conditions of the stones (and setting), in addition to their attributes. Come back and let us know!

cheers--Sharon

Nylo

Rough_Rock

Have this looked at. The way "platinum" is stamped looks strange.

Nylo

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

platinum is not stamped ion but written in...not a good sign. i would bring this to and appraiser that can verify metal content and gem quality.

Heartly

Rough_Rock

I can't speak to quality or price as I'm a novice, but as a female, I will tell you...that ring is beyond gorgeous. And I, for one, would be thrilled to have it.

In terms of quality/metal, the price of $1000 sounds pretty fair, even if it was just WG and not a top clarity or color diamond. Again, I'm a novice, but from my normal person research, it kind of seems like a steal..?

All in all, a beautiful ring though. I can't imagine her not being blown away.

dukenkjp

Rough_Rock

I hope it is platinum. I cleaned the "Platinum" stamping (it is grooved, not written). It looks like a double stamping, just had some grime in parts that made it look like writing. I am having it appraised as we speak. I will update when i get back the appraisal. I did ask for a true appraisal, not something that looks good for my wife to be. I am nervous.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

I think I had that in my ebay watch list, and it was a fantastic deal. I bet it's from the 1930s.

dukenkjp

Rough_Rock

It was ebay...I was only one to bid!

dukenkjp

Rough_Rock

Ill update with new picture with cleaned "Platinum" stamping when I have a chance. These pictures were taken from the ebay listing. I have had it cleaned since. Appraisal is happening now, and I hope to have the few scratches it does have polished away.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock

That is a beautiful ring! No big deal to have platinum written in later. My mother and I have both had jewelry like that. Not all jewelry was marked, so sometimes a mark is added later. I think she is going to love it and I bet you did great. Keep us posted!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

I think it's a stunning ring. Please come back and share what the appraiser says! Regardless though, I'd be proud to wear it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous, great price. That seller has nice stuff. If the diamond is really about .75ct, even if the mount is a repro or white gold, it is still a great deal. The stone looks like a later OEC. Get an appraisal to make sure of your purchase and enjoy!

Bewitch324

Rough_Rock

Just wondering if you ever got the appraisal back and if you proposed and if she loved it as much as you thought she would. I think the ring is GORGEOUS and that it was quite a find...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results