shape
carat
color
clarity

just because gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
am i alone on giving the just beacause gifts? i am one of those people who will go out a get something SO has been talking about and give it to him just because. last week i got him Ironman and today i saw those jelly belly jelly beans that he loves so much and got him the original and ice cream flavors. i dont do this because i expect a present back, but think it would be nice to get one. i have been doing it for years now and wonder why i have never recieved one.

is this somthing only i do, or do any of you do it too?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sure, i do it pretty often. I have probably received more than I think i have received.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I don''t do this, but I would love to get a ''just because'' gift...how fun!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I do it more often than DH does, cause he gets so happy when I do. He mostly likes to take me to a movie or buy me something when we are doing our regular shopping just because I showed a little interest. He says it buys him "video game time." LOL.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I buy a just because gift only if I find something that is uniquely perfect for a loved one. My DH and I have a tradition of not giving gifts for birthdays or holidays, instead we write handwritten notes and take each other out for a special day. SO, if and when we do see items that would be perfect, we get them.

We never buy small things, though. We''re not big consumers, so we do without those little impulse, cutesy purchases in general.

I love just because gifts, I think they''re so much more special than regular gifts.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
1.gif
We call them Happy Tuesday Gifts. Traditionally given on a Tuesday, LOL. Although not required.

My last one was a new makeup mirror because I cracked my old one but was still using it. I Happy Tuesdayed a tie clip to DH the other day. Little, fun things.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We tend to do this with things we both want--we''ll sort of get them as a gift to each other. Our dutch oven is on its last legs, so I think the next gift will be a new one!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
I love getting just because gifts. DH used to do this a lot, but since we have a wee one now, he still does it, but not as much.
but we do this pretty often for family and our nephew.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 9:51:14 PM
Author:radiantquest
am i alone on giving the just beacause gifts? i am one of those people who will go out a get something SO has been talking about and give it to him just because. last week i got him Ironman and today i saw those jelly belly jelly beans that he loves so much and got him the original and ice cream flavors. i dont do this because i expect a present back, but think it would be nice to get one. i have been doing it for years now and wonder why i have never recieved one.

is this somthing only i do, or do any of you do it too?
im sorry that you dont get just because gifts...when im in a relationship i enjoy getting my girl friend a little Its Tuesday gift(Richard Burton bought Liz Taylor Its Tuesday gifts that cost from a dollar to one million dollars...her Bulgari emerald necklace was a Tuesday gift)...a single silk rose, or card , the occasional sterling bracelet, antique locket or favorite ice cream to share and they always recipicate in kind ....maybe all your guy needs a little education on romance and gift giving because some guys dont get it...maybe a friend or sister can direct him in the right direction...

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I definitely do this. FI and I like to get each other occasional little "treats," which can be anything from candy to surprise event tickets. It''s usually something we can both enjoy. FI also gives me flowers on random occasions because he thinks that flowers on special occasions is "too cliche." When we lived in different places, it was always such a fun surprise to see him on my doorstep with flowers on a random Wednesday.

Radiantquest, maybe you can hint (not subtly) to your husband that you would like more surprise gestures. I find that telling FI that I would like something works out so much better than just hoping he''ll do it, and he never seems to mind.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
We do this from time to time as well, but the gifts are usually either something really small (like just the jellybeans - no movie) or practical - one time my BF brought me home a garden hose because I didn''t have one! It is nice just to know the other person is thinking of you though. Maybe your BF doesn''t get gifts, but he does nice little things for you? Like picking up dinner or working on your car? I know sometimes guys prefer to DO things rather than SAY or BUY them.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love doing these for BF, but he very very rarely does them for me. We talked about it one time, and I love the big, spontaneous gesture, while he shows love in little, every day things (like feeding my cats so I can sleep in an extra 5 minutes). We''re slowly learning how to show each other love in our own way and the way that''s important to our partner (he showed up one day with flowers because he knew I wanted to use my new vase, and I''m training to run 5k comfortably because I know he wants to go on runs with his dog eventually, and I want to be able to run the dog when he can''t).

But I love making him little boxes of stuff I know will entertain him. In fact, I think I''ll stop by Target tonight and get him something.
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do this, but it doesn''t tend to be given as a proper gift. No wrapping paper or expecting the other person to be thrilled. I''ll order a CD and when it comes in the post, he hands it to me saying that he thought I''d enjoy it. It''s a fairly casual affair and most often comes in form of unexpected ice cream or books.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 4:56:10 PM
Author: Addy
We do this, but it doesn''t tend to be given as a proper gift. No wrapping paper or expecting the other person to be thrilled. I''ll order a CD and when it comes in the post, he hands it to me saying that he thought I''d enjoy it. It''s a fairly casual affair and most often comes in form of unexpected ice cream or books.

Us too. My DH is Dutch, and he loves Dutch licorice (horrible stuff, that) but whenever I see it, I buy it for him. I don''t think of it as a gift so much, particularly since we share finances, but more just something that I see, think he would appreciate, and I buy it for him.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results