shape
carat
color
clarity

"Just Barely" Pregnant PS''ers

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking so I'm familiar with most of you and friends with some of you :))

I'm dipping my toe in here! Last cycle I got a BFP, only to have a very early miscarriage at 5 weeks. So I'm being ultra cautious in being too happy this time around, but if I make it past 5 weeks I'll call a doctor and schedule an appointment!

Congrats to everyone that's active in this thread! We're going to have quite the baby boom in the end of this year/beginning of 2012! :appl: :appl: :appl:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Katy! It's so great to see you here--I completely understand not wanting to make an appt. until you're feeling a little more settled. How are you feeling so far? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and am doing LC's eagle pose.

Pancake, sorry to hear the nausea is coming on, but after everything you went through this week, I have no doubt the nausea is somewhat reassuring that things are still progressing. I just hope it never develops to anything more than morning queasiness. A girl can hope, right?

LC, a girls night tomorrow will be a great distraction for you--and between your "early meeting with Europe" and Dreamer's "don't want to upset the balance of my chi" excuses, you should be all set :) If you're really tired, the "I don't feel so well" excuse is great for not drinking and for not being terribly lively (I'm assuming).

BB, thanks for popping your head in to say hello! I'm so sorry you've been feeling so ill...I'm with LC, make the move over to the official preggo thread and we'll join soon!

marlie, I woudln't worry about the lack of sore boobs, that sounds pretty good to me! Mine aren't that sore--in fact when I first noticed any soreness I thought it was because I was just poking at them too much.

Skippy and Miscka, thanks for the welcome!

AFM, I got the paperwork for my first appt. that I'm supposed to bring in next month. It's basically a questionnaire about my cycles. The issue is that I lied about the start of my last period because I didn't want them to think I was already 5 weeks along (I didn't ovulate until CD28). The questionnaire asks detailed questions about my average cycle length, if I"m regular, if I know when I ovulated, etc.--so I'm not sure if I should just be truthful or continue the lie. D think I should be honest, so I might have to fess up!

I was planning to continue temping until 18dpo (only 13dpo today). The issue is that every morning when I wake up, I have to pee so badly that I can't temp before running to the loo. So I may have to just stop temping--the last two temps have been really low (after getting back from the bathroom), but my pregnancy test lines are still darker each morning, so that's good.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

NEL -- why didn't you want them thinking you were 5 weeks along? I remember reading that, but I can't remember why. I hope that isn't coming across as judgemental...I lied once to my OB about my cycles as well. :cheeky: Can you just tell them your cycles are sometimes crazy and you never know when to predict ovulation?

ETA: re: pants not fitting. Every girl is different, but I have a resounding aversion to buying pants in a size bigger. You already are going to start feeling like a whale soon enough, and that extra size up doesn't help the matter. But, every girl's figure is different. With me, if I went up a size, then it looked baggier in the butt, which made me sad. I'd invest in belly bands. You can get the expensive ones (I think they are called Belly Bands!) or like I did and got some at Target for a lot cheaper. I got one in white and black, and I used them up until my last trimester. They work wonders when you can't snap your pants. Unless you are rolling in money, don't spend a lot on preggo clothes. There's one store I went in, I think Pea in the Pod? that had sweaters ON SALE for over $200. Seriously. Look at Loft, Target, Gap, and Old Navy. Get basics bc you can't wear them that long. And don't wait too long to get them. I remember I had like 5 weeks left, and I saw several really cute preggo clothes I wanted to buy, but it wasn't worth it. But I was recycling the same pairs of pants with multiple tops, and it got boring for me. I wished I had gotten them sooner. But I also didn't really show until the last trimester. So take my advice with a grain of salt. Goodness...I'm so jealous of you pregnant girls. You will get SO much attention from strangers. I love it! It's the best feeling when that first person in public asks you "when are you due?" Not that you don't get a lot of attention with a cute baby. :love:

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Hi NEL, exciting about the appointments and sounds like similar appt schedule I was on (first u/s to see h/b at 6-8wks, with bloodwork...then appts every month following). And for those with long cycles, I'm sure they are familiar with this - why not just tell the nurse your ovulation date (estimated of course) and let them know LMP is not a good indicator of how far along due to long cycles. Or just plug in your O-date in one of those internet sites and see what the EDD is based on that, and give the dr.'s office that (again with explanation of long cycle sohuld they ask). Alot of these offices are on autopilot, you might have to be firm in the date they should use.

I would also stop the temping / testing if you can. At this point it won't really reveal much (that's the only way I convinced myself to stop). The only thing that will is that h/b so it's just a question of waiting a bit - def the hardest wait if you ask me, but still you all made it through the 2WW like champs, so are pros now :)!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Lanie, and Janine--thanks to both of you. I agree, they must see wonky/long cycles all the time. Lanie, I lied because I was only 3 weeks along when I called to make the appt. If I'd given them my real start date, they'd think I was 5 weeks and would have told me to come in next week for testing and then my levels would have been really low and I just didn't want any stress over it. This way I can get on the schedule that Janine mentioned--bloodwork and first u/s at 6/7 weeks and then an appt. every month thereafter (which is what this practice does). Thanks again!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Re:

NEL, OMG ***YES*** about needing to pee like CRAZY first thing in the morning! I was totally like that around 13-16DPO. I'm somewhere around 20 DPO and I'm back to a somewhat relative state of "normal," but still rather bloated in the morning. My TMI issue is not so bad so I'm hoping this means that it'll clear out by itself too.

I'm with you on the lying about my LMP to so the doctors don't think I'm further along than I am. I think if/when I have to fill out the paper work, if they ask specifically about ovulation date, I'll come clean. Buy my OB is stuck on the 28-day cycle 14 days-ovulate, 14 days-LP thing. Which is inaccurate since my LP is 10 days, so if I went by his recommendation I would've totally missed my O window. Except I got preggo 5 days before O... well, you get my point. I'm pretty sure I O'd somewhere around CD22, give or take a day on either side.

BB, have you moved up to the "big girl thread" yet? Sorry you're feeling sick.

Katy, I'm doing eagle poses for all of us!!! :) This is so awesome, I can't help having a super big grin knowing there's so many of us at just about the same state.

Parrot, how are you feeling, has any queasiness crept in yet?

Krissie, Hope you're doing well too!

RMFA, I'm so excited to hear how you make your announcement!

So, my doctor's appt will be when I'm closer to 10 wks, will they do the NT scan and the first U/S at the same time? I'm going to be a little jealous of all you ladies who have an early 6wk U/S but I think this way is best for us. The doc is on vacation, so it is what it is.

I'm actually doing a good job not fretting about symptoms, and "forgetting" that I'm pregnant. Yesterday and last night I was SO TIRED! Tired after the gym around 2PM. And then couldn't keep my eyes open after 10:30PM. I have a side gig (part-time database work) I wanted to do some work for, but just couldn't muster the energy to do it. DH had to wake me up to take the pooch out for her last night walk at 11PM. I hopped in the shower afterwards, then straight into bed and knocked out.

Oh and wanted to add, I got some BD action over the weekend! Score!!!! I was worried about spotting afterwards, but nothing, so I hope that means I'm good for more lovin' throughout the pregnancy.

~LC

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Re:

LC: Typically not everyone gets the NT Scan (this is an u/s to measure Nuchal Fold which can be an indicator of DS). For me it was combined with bloodwork and done at 11-13wks I think. They recommend it for old mamas (haha, just kidding, ones over 35) or people with high risk history. It's a fun scan to get done and non-invasive, so I'm all for it, but if you're young with no reason to worry, typically it won't be offered. That's my experience at least, but could vary from dr. to dr/region. They do a standard vaginal u/s at the first real appt to "see" the h/b and measure the fetus. That's when they give you your EDD (which might change here and there based on follow up early measurements).

You symptoms sound good - tired and peeing is text book. Peeing all the through the night is another fun, fun one.

OH and get all the action you can while you don't look too preggo. Once that stomach grows it's more difficult and some DH's get sqeamish and think weird things, haha.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

I think Janine is right regarding the NT scans (about both age & timing) - genetic testing was brought up by my doctor primarily because of my age - I'm 35. I have Kaiser and they offer a class where they discuss the different types of testing, and I was probably the youngest person in the class. I've had my first blood test, will have the scan when I'm 12 weeks, then will have the second blood test a few weeks after. I'm excited to see a better picture of the kids. They looked like fuzzy grey blobs at my last ultrasound.

I've been fortunate, especially considering I'm having a twin pregnancy, that I only experienced about 2 1/2 weeks of very, very mild morning sickness. It has already subsided (for the most part). The one negative - I'm a migraine sufferer. I haven't had a bad one for a couple of years, but boy did it hit hard for me the last two days. I spent most of last night either vomiting, or whimpering from the pain. Thank goodness it's almost gone. Darn Tylenol has never done me any good for mild headaches, let alone the more severe ones.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Re:

brown_eyes|1308669404|2951023 said:
random - I tried the preggie pop drops on your recommendation and they really do work curb the nausea when it's really bad. Thanks for the tip!

I'm glad they helped you! I know some of them are kind of funky flavors lol, but I just tossed those ones :)

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

NEL -- Oh ok, I see. Yes, that would be horrible if they thought you were longer along than you really are, and then they scare you with what your hcG levels should be.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Parrot, I feel so bad for you about the migraines! You poor thing! I hope it goes away soon. Has your OB suggested anything that might help? So lucky that you didn't have much nausea.

Thanks Parrot & Janine re: the NT scan. I'm 30 now, so I don't know if they'll do an NT scan when I go in. I'll probably 10+ weeks around my appt, Jul 25th.

And Janine, yes, I'll definitely capitalize on as much nookie time as I can get. I have a feeling that my DH will be the squeamish type to DTD when I'm full blown preggo.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re:

LC Its true the NT scan is usually only suggested for mom's over 35, but I am younger and got it in both my pregnancies because the results would have affected our decisions about our pregnancy -- that is the rule of thumb I was told: Only get the NT scan if the results would change your decision-making in your pregnancy. For example, if you know you would not want to risk a follow-up CVS or Amnio (needed for diagnosis, the NT is just a screen and has a high false positive rate, like all screens), then the NT scan is not much use rally; because of the high false positive rate on its own it does not really tell you much. It might also not be useful to you if you know you would never abort based on its results, because that is the primary purpose of having the screen so early in pregnancy. At the later anatomy scans soft markers for most genetic conditions can be identified and can help with parents who want to prepare mentally, and medically, for an affected child, so the NT scan is not really necessary for people who might want results only for peace of mind or to mentally prepare. Just my 2c :))

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

I will be doing the nuchal fold scan and the maternal serum screening - I definitely want a risk stratification. I expect I will be low-risk but would like to know, we're the-more-info-the-better type, I think it's the medical background.

I am tossing up between delivering at a private hospital on-site at a tertiary maternity/neonatal centre, or at a private facility without tertiary neonates on-site. The paranoid paediatrician in me thinks TERTIARY! TERTIARY! TERTIARY! But I prefer the environment at the other hospital we're looking into - more spacious, in an area with lots of gardens, apparently the food is amazing, and we have a recommendation for a really good obstetrician there who will actually charge us preferential rates because we are of medical background. What to do, what to do...

Meanwhile - my symptoms only made a brief appearance today. Which of course increased my anxiety but other than that I am feeling fine. Only had an hour of intense appetite death/queasiness in the afternoon, and ate much better through the day. Boobs a little less sore. I know the symptoms come and go, but you guys all know how it goes - worry about the tiniest little thing, etc!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Pancake - you're so lucky that you have a choice! My health insurance gives me one hospital - it's pretty nice, but nothing like you're describing!!

PT, sorry about the migraines :(( I have always found Tylenol rather ineffective and have been a 4 Advil every 4 hours for cramps and other pain kinda girl for years. Fingers crossed that the migraines subside!!

LC and NEL - I still love that we're all here together! *big smooshy hugs* I don't have the same urgency early in the morning, but I PEE LIKE CRAZY ALL DAY!! What?! I don't have a kid using my bladder as a trampoline yet, so what is up?! I didn't realize this was something I had to worry about yet!

BB, I hope you feel better soon! I am dreading the nausea like nobody's business. Hang in there!

brown eyes - Again, sorry about the sickness. I hope it's short-lived! That is so cool that both of your families live close enough that you could tell them in person. I am not sure how I will tell my parents except just over the phone.

RMFA - lucky lucky on the heartbeat!! That is so exciting, I can't wait for the first ultrasound.

Krissie - twins for you, too?! Twice the adorable baybeeface!! Congratulations!!

marlie - Looks like we'll get to know each other after all! :)) I hope you get a handle on the sickness soon. No fun.

AFM, 4.5 weeks if you go by LMP, 4 weeks exactly if I go by my O date. Way to soon for me to be confident I have a sticky bean, but I did POAS again this morning. I only have digital CBEs on hand, but the result came up much faster than last time. Trying to decide if I should try to go in for bloodwork to be reassured (or not) or just go forward with my plan to call the doctor next week to get things moving.

The group of CNMs has lost it's luster - the midwife I spoke with about my MC really turned me off. I am sure I would like the others better, but there is no way to be positive she wouldn't be on call when I delivered. The problem is the other practice that interests me is clear across town, making it really hard to get there on my lunch hour or at a convenient time.

Do any of you ladies who have been here before have any ideas on what to tell work when I start having drs appointments? I figure I can chalk one up to a physical and one up to the dentist at least? Maybe I'll "pick a friend up at the airport" another time? Hahaha. I'm not as worried as I was before, because I had a promotion coming at work, but it looks like it is much further off than originally expected, so I feel fine telling work when I am ready to tell the world.... I think?! We will see :))

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Pancake, I agree with Katy, both of your options sound amazing! I wonder if your obstetrician has a preference? Maybe it's something you can talk about with him/her? And I also feel you on the fleeting symptoms anxiety. Strangely, I haven't been terribly anxious about fleeting symptoms. The only thing looming over my head is this fear of an ectopic. I keep worrying that I got my BFP so early that the egg didn't have time to travel down to my uterus. I don't worry all the time, it just pops in my head once or twice a day.

Katy, I really love having you and LC here, too! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that others from the TTC thread will be able to join soon. So for the peeing, I was just reading about this in the book "I'm Pregnant!" yesterday. There are apparently two reasons for the frequent peeing: 1. Our body is increasing its blood supply, which means our kidneys have to filter more than usual. and 2.) Our uterus is actually growing to make room for what's ahead, which puts more pressure on our bladder. I pee all day, too. Then again, I'm drinking a lot of water, so I don't know how much of it can be attributed to that.

What does your ob think about the bloodwork? Normally I'd tell you to just wait, but with the early m/c last cycle, I don't know what is best. I'm sort of wishing I had scheduled something a week earlier than I did (appt. is July 14th).

I'm trying to figure out how to work around the doc appts., too, even though they're only 1x per month until 20-something weeks. Unfortunately I'm pretty busy this summer and have a ton of meetings--many are on-site client meetings, so I'm just going to try to play it by ear as much as I can. I'm really worried about needing to be "on" when I'm feeling like total crap in a couple of weeks. I'm already feeling really tired in the afternoons.

AFM, nothing exciting. I'm in a meeting right now eating a bagel, so no nausea yet! I still say to myself out loud "Oh my god, I'm pregnant" at least once a day.

RMFA

Rough_Rock
Re:

Ladies -- your concerns about lack of symptoms (or fleeting ones) echo my post from a few weeks ago.....I completely understand the anxiousness -- however, I have finally accepted that some of us are just lucky. Also, as Dreamer pointed out to me -- sometimes it doesn't start until later.....

i can say that some specific food aversions have picked up for me in the last week. They are crazy! I can not be anywhere near fish or steak...I immediately feel like I will vomit. Everyone is different.

NEL -- I got my BFP when I was 3 weeks 3 days pregnant! it was exactly 14 days after my IUI, but since then with all the ultrasounds, we realized we got our BFP VERY early. And -- the baby is in the right spot.....try to relax and enjoy this time.....I am just now doing that and I have felt much better mentally.

Hope everyone else is feeling OK!

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Migraine is finally, totally gone! I e-mailed one of the NP's at my doctor's office, asking if there was anything I could do in the future. She told me to call in if I ever felt that bad in the future, and ordered me a prescription for Tylenol with Codeine. Honestly, I'll take 2 days of a nasty migraine over constant M/S any day (my mom suffered morning sickness all 9 months with me).

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Morning ladies!

Parrot, I'm really glad your migraine is gone. I hope it stays gone. I honestly think you should not hesitate to call your doc if it ever becomes debilitating.

RMFA, fish & steak huh? Wow, I hope you don't loose any of your favorite foods. I don't know what I'd do if I all of a sudden had an aversion to shrimp or crab. I'd be sad... And is your aversion to consuming fish or steak? Or just raw fish/steak? I'm really hoping you're one of the lucky ones with very little symptoms.

NEL, How is that "I'm Pregnant" book? I'm thinking I should read some more pregnancy books myself. I'll probably stop at the library to pick a few up. Maybe get one for my DH too. Has D read any that he'd recommend? I'm also drinking a ton of water too, but I always do so I tend to pee a lot. Is your doc office a significant distance away? Can you just come in late and stay late or come in early and leave early, flex your hours a little to make time for the appt?? That's kinda what I'm planning on doing but I work quite close to the doc's office, a relatively short cab ride. (Super excited you're on this thread too!)

Katy, *smooshy hug* to you too! :)) How do you know what hospitals you can deliver in? I'm pretty sure I can deliver in the "Nice" hospital here in Chicago, but I guess I should double check. Do you have the option to work from home for a day? The appts are pretty spaced out, so maybe your boss can give you some flexibility. Congrats on the promo, but boo it'll take a while longer. I think I'm going to tell work MUCH after I tell my friends/family. Probably a good 3 wks after.

Pancake, I'm with you in the "the more info the better" feeling. I haven't talked to DH about decisions based on test results, but I'll have to do that. Right now, I think that's way too far in advance, I'm just looking to make it to our first appt. I'm glad you're dealing with only passing symptoms. Your choices of hospitals sounds great! How do you find out about them? Do you ask? Just read reviews online?

AFM, not much going on here. Depending on where you start counting I'm 6 or 5 wks today. Not too much in terms of symptoms. I had a MINOR weird feeling right before I ate lunch. I wouldn't call it nausea but more just a tightness in my throat and my stomach felt a little "loopy" (like it was literally rolling in a loop). But it went away after I ate. Then in the late afternoon/evening I had some cramps. Also crampy this morning too. Nothing debilitating, but I feel it. I normally don't get period cramps so this is a whole new sensation for me. Oh and I'm not getting sore boobs, but (might be TMI), my nipples are really sensitive (especially after a shower), and are getting bigger.

That's all for me! Hope everyone is feeling OK!

~LC

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

LC, in my city there are only 2 hospitals with maternity wards, and your insurance/OB are affiliated with one or the other :)

I actually laid the groundwork for making sure it's ok that I have a few late mornings as long as I hit my hours, so I think it'll be fine :) I can't tell any friends until I'm ready to tell everyone, since I have friends with loose lips and a coworker that is a friend of a friend. Just can't risk anyone finding out til I'm ready to spill the beans. It'll be a long few months!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Re:

PT, I forgot to tell you how sorry I was about the migraines. I've only had one or two true migraines in my life (vomitting, cannot look at light, nothing helps the pain) and I was completely miserable. I guess 2 days of that is better than nine months of m/s--your poor mom--but 2 days of migraines sounds pretty awful to me. I am so, so glad you aren't still suffering!

RMFA, thanks so much for your reassurance, it actually helps to hear. I've definitely googled "bfp at 8dpo" several times just to make sure there isn't some warning mesage like "if you get a BFP at 8dpo, you are in great danger of having an ectopic!" Luckily, I haven't found anything like that :)

And I hope you like chicken, because it sounds like that may be your main source of protein for awhile! :cheeky:

LC, I like the I'm Pregnant! book--it's the one "technical" book I've bought and basically breaks the baby's growth and changes in the body down by week. I still get the Babycenter emails, but this is a little more detailed, which is sort of fun to read. I swear I'm not trying to go overboard on too much baby stuff too soon, I just like to understand what's happening and what I can expect. I asked D if he wanted me to pick up any books for him, but his reply was "Hon, I've already learned everything about being a great dad from watching 16 and Pregnant", so I held off on getting him any books (for now).

I guess getting in late at work shouldn't be much of an issue so long as I don't have a client meeting. Nobody usually comes in until 10 (I work at an ad agency), so my coming-in-late should be okay. Or I can work from home--if I weren't on a new team, it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Katy, I'm having the same issue about coworkers/friends. I don't have any super close friends who are coworkers, but I do have a couple of coworkers who are FB friends and so I think I'll be spilling the beans at the same time. One of my coworkers is pregnant and I was talking with her about strollers and I told her about an UPPAbaby outlet near us (this was a couple of months ago) and she said "Hmm, you must be trying" haha. So she might be on to me. And if I really do start feeling sick at work, it might be obvious.

AFM, I just switched my first appt. from 7/14 to 7/8. The reason is purely logistical--it's the week of July 4th, so my client and a good chunk of my coworkers are out that week. So it will be nice and slow in the office. The following week will be really busy, though, so it just made more sense. It was better for D, too.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

hi preggo girls!
Hope you are all feeling good today.

NEL...yay for the earlier appt. even though it was a good logistical move, so exciting that you get to see what's going on a week earlier. who ever thought that going to a doc appt could be this much fun! And, I hear you on it being hard to keep the news quiet at work. I feel like I've already had to dodge a couple of questions or giveaway looks. So great that you have a coworker buddy who's also pregnant to share this with once you are ready to spill the beans.

Katy...I'm glad we'll get to know each other too! So excited for your BFP!! ditto on the not spilling the beans. its SUCH a hard secret to keep. i have a friend who didn't tell a single person until the end of her first trimester which is so impressive to me. i agree that if you have some loose lipped friends, it's probably better to zip it for now. Though you are probably bursting!

LC...sorry about your loopy stomach. this all sorta feels like a science project right? hope you are feeling good and i'm glad your symptoms are still classified as minor!

PT...YAY for migraine passing!!! So glad you are feeling better.

RMFA...i see lots of chicken in your future! Sorry about those aversions...that couldn't have been fun to find out.

afm... my doc called yesterday with my blood results. she said that she was hoping my numbers would double and instead they quadrupled! who knows what that means! (to be honest...i don't know what these numbers are. i'm the worst pregnant person ever!) but she was very excited about it and said that i'll definitely see a heartbeat in my ultrasound next week and offered to move it up from wednesday to monday. logistically its better on wednesday so i'm going to leave it as is. plus i feel like if i can give this little guy a couple of more days to grow before we see it, it'll be safer.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Morning ladies!! How's everyone doing today?

Marlie, so excited you'll get your U/S soon. Hopefully you'll be able to see a HB. Glad your numbers are looking so good.

NEL, Hooray for the earlier appt. Definitely makes sense what you're saying about the holiday week. I put a few pregnancy books on hold in the library so I'll pick up them up soon, maybe this week. I'll let yu know how they are when I read it. My DH was getting all paranoid about reading pregnancy books and trying to make sure how people don't find out. I told him Kindle/Nook. But I've got ulterior motives because I *really* want one.

Katy, good idea to keep mum. Never know things travel through the grapevine. I'm lucky have no overlap between friends and coworkers.

AFM, not much going on. My Girls Night dinner was great and I think no one was wiser. Sis helped cover for me a little bit too. I got there early so I go a non-alcoholic drink that looked like a proper drink. It was tasty! Muddled blackberries & some other sweetners/citrus & ginger "beer"/gingerale. Tasty!

~LC

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
Re:

NEL - I'm glad you were able to get your appointment moved up. It is reassuring to hear a medical proffesional say that everything looks good.

RFMA - those are some interesting food aversions. I wish I had a lack of symptoms, so I think you are lucky.

marlie - awesome blood results. That bean has a good hold! I'm excited for your first ultrasound, that's when it really became real for DH and I.

LC - I'm glad your girls night was fun last night and you were able to hide the lack of booze. Not sure that every doctor uses the same guidelines for the NT scan. I'm 26 and my doctor scheduled one for me already. I was under the impression it was routine until reading otherwise here.

pancake - I'm glad that everything went well with your doctor and US. I know you were beyond worried (as any of us would have been). Lucky for you that you have another scan at 8 weeks! I dont think my next one will be until the end of my first trimester. I understand the worry about fluctuating symptoms. I don't know wether to worry about days I'm feeling better, or just be thankful for a break from the queasiness.

BB - I'm sorry you've been so sick. I know how you feel. Hopefully you're getting near the end of it seeing as you're in your second trimester now. So exciting!

Katy - congrats on your BFP!! It's understandable that you are being cautious, but I bet this is your sticky bean! It is nice to live so close to so much of our family, lots of people to help out once the baby gets here.

RT - the pops had some seriously gross sounding flavors. I opted for the drops (sour lemon, sour apple, sour rasberry, and sour tangerine), and I can handle all of those flavors.

PT - that migraine sounds awful! I'm glad you're feeling better.

AFM - 7w1d today (the bean is now a blueberry :)) )

Regarding dealing with work, I was feeling so aweful that I had to spill the beans earlier than I would have liked. Luckily they are being super accomodating and set me up to work from home a couple of days a week until I'm feeling better so that I can get some more rest as requested by my doctor. She said it would help me feel better, so I'm hoping it helps.

DH and I have told most of the family. I still have a cousin I want to call, and I think he's got some aunts and uncles left on his list. I originally wanted to wait until we were farther along to tell everyone, but seeing the heartbeat and measuring right on schedule made me feel better about this bean sticking, so I think we're going to spread the news to friends next week.

I got a tip from my project manager about curbing the queasiness and it seems to be helping (he swears there's a 100% success rate among women he's told). It's very simple. 2 saltine crackers before getting out of bed. I have to admit, I was a bit sceptical seeing as he's obviously never been pregnant, but I have done it the last 2 mornings and don't feel nearly as bad as I have been feeling. Just wanted to pass that along to anyone who is dealing with nausea.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Marlie, fantastic news about about your betas increasing so much! That must be really exciting to hear! Oh my gosh, I"m so excited to hear about your appt. next Wednesday. And I know what you mean about keeping the "safer" appt.--I was actually on board with leaving my appt. for week 7 since I thought the chances were better of hearing a heartbeat. Sometimes logistics win, though, and in your case the more practical appt. is also the safer appt., which is good!

LC, brilliant of you to order a non-alcoholic drink that looked like an alcoholic one! I'll have to keep that strategy in mind. And I laughed about your ulterior motive for getting a kindle or nook, hehe. Very sneaky. I think it's smart--remember when I was reading TCOYF on the commuter rail and that lady sat down next to me and it seemed like there were graphic pictures on every single page? Well a lot of the pregnancy books are the same, so a kindle/nook might save you some embarrassment!

brown_eyes, thanks for the saltines tip--if I start feeling sick, I'm definitely going to try that. And I wouldn't worry about spilling the beans too soon at work. One of the ladies who reports to my husband ended up spilling the beans to him last week that she's 7 weeks along because she was feeling so awful and didn't want him to think she was abusing her sick time. I'm so glad they're being accommodating to you. IMO, the benefit of telling when you're feeling so crappy is probably worth the risk.

AFM, I'm in a MOOD today. We have this huge strategy deck that needs to be done by EOD today to present to the client Monday. My boss was supposed to take the first stab at it and then I was going to edit it when he was done. Except he didn't do his part and asked me at 10a.m. to do it for him. And the internal review is in 8 minutes (at noon). I'm literally in a phase where I'm saying 'this is ridiculous, I'm done". I'm so annoyed. I'm trying to avoid stress right now.

Otherwise everything is good :) I'm just trying to relax a little over the next couple of weeks before our first appt. I'm drinking a ton, eating as healthy as I can, reading while on the commuter rail, but I haven't started feverishly researching anything yet. There will be time for my psychosis later.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Re:

LC, NEL, Katy, and Brown (and all you other newly pregnant ladies), just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm so glad that it sounds like you are all growing sticky little beans! I'm going to follow along, so I know what to expect when I finally am able to join you in this thread or the pregnancy thread! Lots of dust to all of you for as close to morning sickness-free pregnancies as possible!

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Re:

pancake|1308692246|2951311 said:
"and it probably only started beating 2 days ago" and I just thought that was the most incredible thing... just miraculous!

Wow pancake...that is SO amazing and something about it brought tears to my eyes!

Just checking in and seeing how you all are doing!!

Ok back to TTC thread now :))

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Re:

NEL, OMG I remember what you were saying about TCOYF on the train. That's why I suggested the Nook/Kindle to DH. And y'know because I really want one. :) :Up_to_something: Hope your mood got better yesterday. I totally know what you're talking about re: things getting dropped on you last minute. And you're totally right about not being stressed and you have more important things to do.

Brown, I guess we'll see if we do a NT scan and when. It should be fine either way. I'm 30 and DH is 33 so we're a fair bit older (I feel it's a lot older), so who knows. Don't sweat about having to spill the beans at work so early. It seems like it's all working out. So sweet of you to call everyone personally. I'm so lazy, I plan on sending out a mass email.

Hope everyone's doing well today. Every now and then DH remembers to ask how I'm feeling, but for the most part I'm feeling totally normal.

Last night my younger cousin came into town from Toronto. So Sis and I took him, his girlfriend, Sis's boyfriend and DH out for dinner. DH and I did the double wine glass /switcheroo trick. Then we went out to another bar. My cousin was all "Wooo! We're doing SHOTS!!!" (He's 26). Sis's boyfriend was like "WOOO!!!! HECK YEAH!!!!" (he **wishes** he was 26, :lol: ) DH and Sis were pretty "protective" and didn't let anyone push that I had to do some too. I did pick up DH's beer glass for the "shot toast" just so I wasn't the only lame-o without anything, y'know?

This morning we did dim sum with a bunch of friends. That was a totally easy way to hide the lack of booze because I never Bloody Mary at dim sum. But I do always Bloody Mary at BRUNCH, so I have to avoid brunches with my booze-hound friends. :bigsmile:

That's all for me. I think Sis and I are going to hit Ikea and pick up supplies for the office/nursery (officery) shelves.

~LC

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Hey all! Too late for a full update, I"ll be back in the morning, but...

Suggestion for brunch LC - show up early and order a virgin bloody at the bar!! No one will even question it ;)) Tomorrow we are invited to a friend's house for dinner, and I think we'll do the beer bottle switcheroo. I was freaking out that we'd have to tell them (they were the only ones we told last month, but we are not telling ANYONE yet) because we are all big wine people and I thought there would be no way I'd be able to decline wine without them knowing, but I think beer bottles will be super easy to pass back and forth!

My boobs are more sore now than earlier this week, and I'm taking that as a good sign! I'm feeling the cramping, too.. not all the time, just every once in a while. I know it's totally normal but I'm so used to cramps meaning AF that it's so hard not to freak out. But I really do feel differently this time. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but instead of being completely pessimistic it's letting me be at least a little hopeful. I think I plan to call the OB and set an appointment Monday. By my LMP I'll be 5 weeks, actually 4W4D by O. I think that's still a little early, but it'll give me a milestone to look forward to. They like to set appointments between 6 and 8 weeks, so I'm hoping to get something in the week of July 4th or the week after. That's pretty close, right?!

How does anyone make it through 9 months of this?!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Katy - my husband and I were just talking about how this is the most stressful thing we have ever gone through!!

LC - when I read your post I instantly thought "Virgin Mary"! - obviously Katy did too, great minds etc.

Parrot - thank goodness that migraine has lifted! You poor thing.

MonkeyPrincess - you are such a sweet heart :)

BrownEyes - I know I am lucky... but I'm not sure that having extra scans actually helps with the anxiety. It's one of those situations where if I can't stress about one thing, I'll find something else to worry about, you know?! Amazing.

Me... well, it's another unsettled night in the House of Pancake. I had a small but bright bleed today around 4pm (it's now almost 10pm) - just on the paper, but definitely bright, frank blood, and I freaked of course. No cramps or clots or anything. It seems to have settled and I am seeing just the tail end of it at times but I am on tenterhooks wondering what is going on. To make matters worse my husband left town for a conference at lunchtime today and this happened just hours after that. I was too scared to call the obstetrician so he did... my obstetrician was away but the ob in the practice covering the weekend was reassuring - my husb told her everything (about the spotting through the last week, the dates, the normal ultrasound, etc) and she said that although the bleeding was not normal and she would rather I hadn't any, the fact that I'd had a normal ultrasound with a fetal hearbeat made my chances of miscarriage much lower than if I'd bled without that ultrasound result. I am crossing all of my figurative fingers and toes... we want this baby so much!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Re:

pancake - did you DTD recently? That can be an easy explanation for red spotting. If it's more than spotting it doesn't hurt to call your dr. to see what she says. It sounds minimal which should be fine.

katy and pancake, I think the worst wait is the weeks leading up to the first appt - that and waiting for genetic results if you go that route...so this is totally normal. It's hard but try to keep yourself busy b/c there's nothing that can be done other than wait (well I guess betas but isn't necessary in most cases). I also had a tough time with waiting the 1st time (didn't even think about the 2nd time around...I know it's annoying to hear, but so true - yet it's all the same result!). Try to keep busy or even plan weekend trips (since work helps the weekdays pass a bit)!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results