shape
carat
color
clarity

Jstar, you''re a genius!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That simple piece of paper underneath my alexandrite totally, or almost totally, eliminated the effect of the window. You can see all back facets now, but that''s OK since it does not change the color of the stone. Now, it will take me a while to figure out what could be permanent replacement for that paper, but the idea was great.

It also explains why I bought it - all stones were lying on white paper; when I was eyeing this one (holding in tweezers), the light shone through it, and the nighttime color was the light of a very weak lamp! Never, never judge the stones by their look on white paper!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Aww, you''re so sweet! Glad I could help. I realized mine was photographed on a white background too. Looking back on it, I can see a window that you could drive a bus through, but I didn''t realize what it was in my uneducated pre-PS state. My stone is set in a bezel-ish setting (there are 4 prongs but the stone rests on top of a cylinder of metal), so I wadded up some paper and just stuck it in the bottom. For the record, here''s a vendor pic that shows how well a white ring finger-thingy hides the window!

jstar-3773-2-lg.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
And here it is with the window glaringly obvious. Nice color change, though!

Anyway, maybe you could get some sort of white plastic cap made to stick on the bottom of your setting?

jstar-3773-1-lg.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. Love the color change.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Marcy!

Crasru, does your alex have a thread? I''d love to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results