shape
carat
color
clarity

Joe Biden for the win! (Obama VP)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Joe Biden

Discuss.
2.gif

I admittedly don''t know too much about him to really give my perspective...but the blogosphere is already discussing how Biden suggest none other than McCain for Kerry''s VP pick in ''04.
31.gif
Innnnteresting.

Anyway, off to learn more, and I''m interested in hearing what everyone thinks!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Is ''turd'' too harsh a word to use for Biden? Wrong choice. Definitely.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed with Holly here. Biden is not only horribly mediocre, but also has some stances that could lose Obama the vote from some of his core demographics. He wasn''t as bad as some of the other choices, but definitely not a good move.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
The only things I know about Biden are that he is one of the biggest "Washington insiders" that Obama has spent most of his campaign criticizing & that he said some pretty disparaging things about Indians in the past. Hopefully Obama''s people can keep him from blurting out more offensive statements given the media focus on things that come out of candidate''s mouths. He has a lot of experience in foreign policy, but I''m not sure if this strengthens Obama''s position overall, given the weaknesses in the choice. I heard the news mention that McCain & Biden are good friends...should be interesting.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think: meh.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I admit that I don''t know much about Biden, except that when I was in the audience in Congress, he was reading...forrrreeevvvveeerrrr...about his opposition to something. I don''t recall the exact issue, but it had something to do with the war. I was there with a group of students and other grassroots activists and I recognized him right away. We all seated in the gallery and he was still speaking when we left. Watching the Federal government in action is even more interestng in person than on C-Span.

I have to admit that I am somewhat surprised at Obama''s choice. I haven''t been keeping up on my election news coverage because we have so many local events going on that are consuming my time. I suppose my surprise comes from the fact that his campaign has been catapulted by youth and change, and I just don''t think of Biden when I consider Obama''s campaign to date.

I would like to see what Obama has to say about why he made that choice. Oh wait, I probably do have an email about it, but I haven''t checked that account in weeks. Maybe I should.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been researching Biden to learn more about if I want to vote for Biden & he seems like an illogical choice for a candidate who promotes CHANGE in his speeches, ads, etc. Does anyone else remember Biden saying just a year ago that Obama is too inexperienced to be president? What a difference a year makes.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 12:25:03 PM
Author: HollyS
Is ''turd'' too harsh a word to use for Biden? Wrong choice. Definitely.
Holly & others...pesonally...I don''t know that he isn''t the best choice.

Per my other new thread on Biden...and I''ll allow you may already be satisfied, after knowing what you know...I am still fact gathering. Nevermind that I will be voting the Democratic ticket, regardless. I am curious to know why Obama thought to select him...but more...right now...am more narrowly trying to understand...perhaps at this point even over the years...how Biden has rationalized his penchant for plagiarism. If that''s even what he has.

Or...as he claims...is he more like Moses...that everyone really does this...but somehow, with him...it sticks...and is more visible.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Biden has a rep as being a bulldog. He is tough and certainly has years of experience. I am not sure about him as a person, I think he has a decent rep in terms of who he is personally and his commitment. He has served for decades.

However, he was one of Obama's harshest critics in the race when they were running and said a number of things about him that were not at all flattering. He also was willing to be in the McCain White House, and they are great friends. It does seem an odd choice for Obama.

Many people think he should have chosen Hillary...not sure I agree or not, but it would have been an interesting ticket.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Obama was being truthful when he said he didn''t want a yes-man? From the sound of it Biden will be anything but that.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2008 9:58:04 AM
Author: diamondfan
Biden has a rep as being a bulldog. He is tough and certainly has years of experience. I am not sure about him as a person, I think he has a decent rep in terms of who he is personally and his commitment. He has served for decades.

However, he was one of Obama''s harshest critics in the race when they were running and said a number of things about him that were not at all flattering. He also was willing to be in the McCain White House, and they are great friends. It does seem an odd choice for Obama.

Many people think he should have chosen Hillary...not sure I agree or not, but it would have been an interesting ticket.
interesting buttt....no way Obama picks Hillary cuz she would be more powerful than he in the whitehouse. Obama & Clinton would of given the Dems a better shot in Nov.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/24/2008 2:29:55 AM

Author:
IndyGirl22

I''ve been researching Biden to learn more about if I want to vote for Biden & he seems like an illogical choice for a candidate who promotes CHANGE ....

Frank Rich wrote in his Op-Ed column in, "The New York Times" today:

"AS the real campaign at last begins in Denver this week, this much is certain: It’s time for Barack Obama to dispatch ''Change We Can Believe In'' to a dignified death."

I think he and you were on the same page, IndyGirl. Don''t get me wrong, though! Like Ira, I will be voting for the Democrats in November. Joe Biden is infinitely preferable to me than John McCain. The idea of John McCain as president scares me to death...and that is not even taking into consideration that he would be appointing Supreme Court justices!

Deborah
34.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2008 8:34:01 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

Author:
IndyGirl22

I''ve been researching Biden to learn more about if I want to vote for Biden & he seems like an illogical choice for a candidate who promotes CHANGE ....

Frank Rich wrote in his Op-Ed column in, ''The New York Times'' today:

''AS the real campaign at last begins in Denver this week, this much is certain: It’s time for Barack Obama to dispatch ''Change We Can Believe In'' to a dignified death.''

I think he and you were on the same page, IndyGirl. Don''t get me wrong, though! Like Ira, I will be voting for the Democrats in November. Joe Biden is infinitely preferable to me than John McCain. The idea of John McCain as president scares me to death...and that is not even taking into consideration that he would be appointing Supreme Court justices!

Deborah
34.gif

Ditto to all of it. Especially the Supreme Court appointment part. AAIIIIGGHHH!!!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 8:34:01 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

Author:
IndyGirl22

Frank Rich wrote in his Op-Ed column in, ''The New York Times'' today:

''AS the real campaign at last begins in Denver this week, this much is certain: It’s time for Barack Obama to dispatch ''Change We Can Believe In'' to a dignified death.''

Deborah
34.gif

Yeah, I just found the choice odd because Obama had focused much of his campaign on criticizing a lot of the characteristics obvious in Biden. I know Obama needed someone with more experience in foreign policy, but I''m not sure if the trade-off was worth it. It''ll be interesting to see who McCain picks...for many undecided voters the VPs could make all the difference.

True, the election of McCain would probably scare any liberals who want SCOTUS to maintain the status quo (not saying it is liberal now, but there is definitely a balance w/Kennedy being the swing vote)...with Stevens & Ginsburg being the next to go. However, as someone mentioned in another thread, there is a good amount of history of presidents appointing conservative judges with hopes of opinions overturning past SCOTUS decisions whom have been sorely disappointed, so you never know until they are actually serving their terms.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Biden essentially calls undecided voters racist.

"Undecided people are having a difficult time just culturally making the change, making the move for the first African American president in the history of the United States of America," the Democratic vice-presidential nominee said at a San Francisco fundraiser Saturday evening. "So we need to respond. We need to respond at the moment, immediately, not wait, not hang around, not assume any of this won''t stick."

Yikes, if you''re an undecided that doesn''t lean Obama..well you know what Biden thinks of you.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Or if you''re still undecided, just throw out all reservations you may have about both candidates and vote for Obama so you make history.
20.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I promise I say this with kind intent, but just like how some people feel sorry for Sarah Palin sometimes..sometimes I feel a bit sorry for Joe Biden. Joe Biden says Barack Obama will bring a crisis I understand what he was trying to say and it was a valid point from the Dem point of view of course..but it came out way wrong.
14.gif

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Also, is Biden''s newfound psychic ability to see the future, a new reason to vote for Obama? His very own "seer" in the White House?
3.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Biden might be getting punsihed for his comments...pulled off the trail today. Anyone know anything to the contrary?

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Well It might be because Barack is tending to his ailing grandmother. He is off the campaign trail too. Other than that, he may have been taken off temporarily to let his Gird Your Loins speech blow over. Where is all the commotion about Joe predicting something really bad happening within the first year or so of Barack''s presidency!!!! If Palin had said something kooky like that, she would be absolutely crucified on here!!!! Oh wait, she already has been....
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results