shape
carat
color
clarity

Jobs you can do from home?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend that I''ve known for many years in the financial industry. Because of her husband''s job she is moving to a small town in Wisconsin and she can''t find any jobs in that area that she feels suited for. There is a large tourist trade during parts of the year, but working in a retail store or a restaurant doesn''t really appeal to her. Can you think of any things she could do from home? Not necessarily "creative" or "crafty" things (like writing novels or knitting sweaters) but more like medical transcription or data entry. And it doesn''t have to be a full time workload; several hours a week would be fine, just to keep her occupied and make her feel useful.

Any ideas are much appreciated--she''s afraid once she gets the house in order and life settles down that she''ll go CRAZY with nothing to do!

(My best idea was to tell her to become a real estate agent, but for some reason she didn''t leap right on that bandwagon, LOL!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a thought. She could become a certified tax preparer and do that from home during the tax year for individuals. She would have to buy software and she might not like people coming to her house.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy, sometimes I think you read my mind! I was just thinking of some sort of accounting function. Do you need to be a CPA to do this or is "certified tax preparer" a designation in itself (sorry if that''s a stupid question!).

The house they are moving into has a front room, kind of like an all season room, so depending on whether it will be warm enough in the colder months that might be a good place to set up an office so it seems a little separate from the rest of the house.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 10:25:55 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Skippy, sometimes I think you read my mind! I was just thinking of some sort of accounting function. Do you need to be a CPA to do this or is 'certified tax preparer' a designation in itself (sorry if that's a stupid question!).

The house they are moving into has a front room, kind of like an all season room, so depending on whether it will be warm enough in the colder months that might be a good place to set up an office so it seems a little separate from the rest of the house.
No, she probably just needs to take a few classes if she already has a finance degree. She can either take classes at a community college or h&r block. She should call either of those places. Or she could talk to some accounting firms who need help and maybe they could set her up with a laptop to do work from home (but she probably would need prior experience for this one but it is worth calling about)?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use to TA in a college class that taught medical transcription and most students found jobs working from home. Before your friend looks for work, she should look into a local community college and take classes in Medical Transcription and Terminology. There may be other requirements, as well. The program that I helped with was a one or two year program, but many of the classes are unnecessary (like business communications - which was 100 level class that basically taught common sense in the workplace) so she probably can skip those and take just the necessary ones.

Back then, there was typing tests and students had to transcribe above a certain word per minute level before receiving there certificate. Now a days, I think it's easier for students to pass since so many of us spend time on the computer typing away
2.gif
but we expected at least 70 wpm.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If she doesn''t mind doing a bit of schooling, she could easily do Q/A testing from home.

Many of our QA people in our IT department work remotely.......some even in other states.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My FIL took a course at H&R Block (his real job is a doctor). I guess it was something he was always interested in. His degree was not in finance so I don''t think it is that hard to get into to (for certification).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 2:46:51 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
My FIL took a course at H&R Block (his real job is a doctor). I guess it was something he was always interested in. His degree was not in finance so I don't think it is that hard to get into to (for certification).
The reason I asked if she had a finance degree is because you can go through the community college and skip some of the accounting class but H&R is probably the best option. I think they probably are starting classes now in time for tax season. That is neat your FIL does that; I have a nieghbor who does it and loves it!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC - thanks for the idea about about medical transcription--we hadn''t thought of that.

Al - forgive my stupdity... what is Q/A testing?

Tacori - so does your hubby do this now? Does he also do quarterly filings for people? And does he also do taxes for small businesses?

And thanks Tacori and Skippy for the idea about H&R Block.

I spent some time surfing around trying to find options today too. It seems like there are a lot of salesy type things, and some things where YOU pay to get started (which just seems wrong to me somehow... ). The one I found that I think will appeal to her the most is where you enter info into a database off of recipe cards (she loves to cook) but they only pay FIVE CENTS per card. Granted the thrust of this is not $$$ driven, but it just seems like 5 cents/card wouldn''t even pay for the electricity to run the computer to do the work, LOL.

You guys are so clever at thinking of these different things -- keep those options coming!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
grant writing

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crown - do you have a web address or somewhere to go for more info on this?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
google work at home grant writing. many sites will come up.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
QA is Quality Assurance. like testing websites or systems or software to find bugs or problems, and report them or similar.

also don't they have people in telephone Customer Support a lot of times work from their homes...mostly because of odd hours and the flexibility there?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy we thought it was so funny seeing how he still works as a doctor. But I guess he has always had a thing for numbers so it was like a hobby for him. He worked for H&R for one tax season and then didn''t go back. I guess they are really into "pushing" other products there and since this wasn''t a "real" job for him he just didn''t feel comfortable doing it.

Dee, actually it is my father in law not DH. He worked there for a tax season. I am sure he could have worked more but he has another job. Or like Skippy said maybe she can go out on her own after she takes the classes. It was more about wanting to learn HOW to do it than actually doing it. He sometimes says he might get back into it when he retires. Who knows! I have a friend who works for Bank of America at home as a project manager. But that is obviously a full time job (sounds like she wants something more flexible). If she was good at her field there might be some opportunties there. Is she moving to Lake geneva or the Dells?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks crown!

Oh... QA= quality assurance. Sometimes Dee is dense... gotcha Mara! And I have come across some customer service type things. Maybe taking orders for a clothing company or something like that would work.

Tacori, that's interesting about pushing the other products. No, I don't think she'd like that part at all, but the tax preparation thing might work if she could just take the classes and then go off on her own. There must be some sort of ongoing information stream though (like continuing education?) or else how could you keep up on all the developments in the tax laws? They are going to the Lake Geneva area. SO super cute in the summer, but come winter there is just NOTHING to do up there unless she wants to take up ice boating, ha ha!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I figured it was either Lake Geneva or the Dells b/c those are really the only small towns w/ tourism in WI. Process of elimination! I haven''t been there since I was a kid but I remember it was beautiful.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I live in WI, so it depends on where she is moving too...what city? I could give you some direction if you tell me where she is planning on living...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexis - Lake Geneva.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Well thats more down south and I am more western WI....I would have her look into insurance underwriting. Most of the time after working in an office for a small amount of time they can work from home. H&R block have a tax prep course that she can take and do from home like someone said. Even putting an as in the paper or an add online for transcription could turn into something. Alot of times big companies will outsource to people at home because its cheaper...she can charge what she wants and she can determine how much work she wants.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Does she like her current job/company? If so, she could talk with them about doing some work from home, maybe her same job or something else part time. I have had several friends do this, even if their company didn't usually allow work-from-home, just because they did not want to lose a good employee.

In my current job I can sometimes work from home (I usually do it once a week), and I like having the flexibility, but it can also be a pain - i.e. when I am home but "off duty", I feel like I should be working, and if I am working, I feel guilty if I take a break. Has she thought about jobs she can get outside of the home, even if they are not in her financial field- i.e. working at a boutique, etc?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 4:37:11 PM
And I have come across some customer service type things. Maybe taking orders for a clothing company or something like that would work.
Doing catalogue sales is a NIGHTMARE!!! I did that one holiday for a retail clothing company and the customers drove me nuts! They ask the most annoying questions, like if the fly on a pair of pants can be made to accomodate left handed people! They were just weird, rude, and and often became angry with me if something wasn''t in stock. I was only 18 and quit as soon as Christmas was over. It paid crappy too! lol

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexis, thanks for the idea about insurance underwriting.

TanDogMom, she would LOVE to keep working for the same company but it's just not an option. They have *a few* employees who have gotten special dispensation from GOD to work from home one day a week, but she will just be too far out geographically to come to the office with any frequency. Total bummer.

MC, oh.... this does not sound like a good idea at all then. Thank you for the feedback!

Does anyone remember Storm's thread of a few months ago? I can't seem to find it, but I wonder if there were any good work-from-home ideas in there if anyone can locate it.

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Finance is such a huge spectrum.

Can she do some kind of consulting for or with an area that she has experience/expertise in? Does she have a
"no compete" clause or a contract of some sorts in place that may limit her? There are more questions than answers to me at least.

Cynthia

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daydreamer, I'm assuming her non-compete is the same one I signed when I was there, and it basically stipulated that you couldn't use any proprietary info or solicit the firm's clients, but there was no prohibition against otherwise working in the financial industry. That is a really good question though.

There is at least one brokerage office in the town (I'm thinking it's Edward Jones, but don't quote me on that) so maybe she should touch base with them and see if there's anything. The catch might be the work at home part, but who knows, maybe they'll be able to work something out, or she could even do something part time instead.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Pearl and bead stringing for the local jewelers (and private individuals, possibly even pearl and bead companies via fedex).

Usually once someone gets into it, they start creating bead strands of their own, selling them through local outlets and shows.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Has she considered becoming a freelance financial journalist? There''s quite a demand (at least where I''m from) for people with ''inside'' knowledge of the industry to write feature articles for trade magazines.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Party/event planning or wedding consulting come to mind....fun, useful, and don't take up a TON of time unless you want them to...lots of number crunching involved in those plus it can or cannot be very creative based on how willing the client is to do the creative envisioning.

PT financial consultant? Insurance sales? Hmmm...just "barnstorming" here. LOL!

Or just basically investing in small businesses who want to grow or are looking for backers...plenty of those around those parts of WI! Cranberries? I'm sure she can find a way to utilize her skills for profit and involve some creativity as well, what a fun new opportunity this will be for her! Just because one door has closed, you know, doesn't mean plenty of others won't open in ways she probably hasn't even fathomed. Best wishes to your friend DeeJay!
36.gif
35.gif

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 8:11:25 PM
Daydreamer, I''m assuming her non-compete is the same one I signed when I was there, and it basically stipulated that you couldn''t use any proprietary info or solicit the firm''s clients, but there was no prohibition against otherwise working in the financial industry. That is a really good question though.

There is at least one brokerage office in the town (I''m thinking it''s Edward Jones, but don''t quote me on that) so maybe she should touch base with them and see if there''s anything. The catch might be the work at home part, but who knows, maybe they''ll be able to work something out, or she could even do something part time instead.
I am going to assume that she possess a wealth of knowledge somewhere in the field and with consulting she could expand on what the industry is lacking and present it with some creative spin and make a mint on her own and on her own terms.

It might help to understand just what exactly is her finance background. Can you share more?

With a good friend like you and the creative folks here, she is in great hands!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rich, that''s such a good idea *I* might want to do it, LOL!

Wolftress, I''ll have to see if she has any writing skills or if she enjoys that sort of thing. It''s a good idea though.

Monnie, event planning sounds like a ton of fun! They do have a lot of venues in that area where they host parties and wedding, so that might work out.

Daydreamer, her expertise in in operations (the movement of money, settlement of securities, that sort of thing). She was always complaining about the way things got done so maybe this is her change to improve upon it!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Rich...how do you get a job like that even??

As far as Ed Jones...try looking into their Branch Office Administrator positions. They are challenging and she would be a great asset.

Either that or have her start her own financial consulting business..they make good money....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results