shape
carat
color
clarity

Job interview hairstyle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
If you were interviewing for, let''s say, an internship at a law firm or law department at a large company -- how would you style your hair? I''m particularly interested in hearing from women with longer hair (although of course everyone can play!).

I have long curly hair that can be fairly easily straightened, except in summer when it tends to frizz. I kept meaning to have it cut shorter after my wedding a couple months ago, but haven''t gotten around to it -- and now I don''t have time before at least one of my interviews (tomorrow). I generally tie it back in a low ponytail, but I feel that this doesn''t look very "polished." And I don''t know whether to try to straighten it, or just give in to the curliness.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
You might want to pull it back and put it up in some kind of low bun - so it is off your neck.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
You could also push it back off your face with a nice headband. That would probably work whether you went straight or curly.

I think as long as it''s neat and polished looking and you feel good about it, it''ll be fine.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A low ponytail can look polished, just keep the flyaways under control.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should rock the Kate Gosselin.

So what if you have to cut your hair. :razz:

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, as long as your hair is clean, a normal color and neatly brushed, it does not matter how you wear it. For what it''s worth, I am a female attorney who has worked for large law firms in two major East Coast cities and currently work for a large corporation. I have always worn my hair long, and have always worn it down for interviews. Many of my female colleagues also wear their hair long. I would not give a second thought to a candidate''s appearance unless it was really out of the ordinary (pink hair, etc).

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I have long, curly hair too.

I''d suggest a French twist or a low bun with a deep side part. Don''t forget the hairspray and styling creme to tame the summer frizz.

Good luck!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 10:21:37 AM
Author: NovemberBride
In my opinion, as long as your hair is clean, a normal color and neatly brushed, it does not matter how you wear it. For what it''s worth, I am a female attorney who has worked for large law firms in two major East Coast cities and currently work for a large corporation. I have always worn my hair long, and have always worn it down for interviews. Many of my female colleagues also wear their hair long. I would not give a second thought to a candidate''s appearance unless it was really out of the ordinary (pink hair, etc).
Ditto.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have long hair and for most job interviews I''ve ever been on I have worn a low ponytail/chignon.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Chignon. It''s my standard interview hairstyle when my hair is long. Neat, polished and you don''t have to fuss with it. Plus if you have a tendancy to play with your hair when you''re nervous, it''s out of the way.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have long, wavy hair. I wear it pulled back in a low bun for interviews.

I''ve sat on too many interview teams, and seen too many women play with their hair when they wear it down. Everyone *thinks* she''s above doing that in an interview, yet everyone does it.

Appearance does matter.

The biggest issue is long bangs, in my opinion. If you have bangs that partially cover your eyes, pin them back.

Good luck!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 10:41:39 AM
Author: monarch64
I have long hair and for most job interviews I''ve ever been on I have worn a low ponytail/chignon.
This is what I would recommend as well. I think you would want to make sure and keep your hair from falling in your face/eyes. It''ll be a distraction for everyone if you keep having to tuck it back.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 9:56:43 AM
Author: DiamanteBlu
You might want to pull it back and put it up in some kind of low bun - so it is off your neck.
ditto.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
TheBigT, I have long curly (well, wavy) hair, and I used to pull it back, but now I wear it down if I have a professional event (such as an interview). Here''s the thing - in a competitive arena, I don''t want to blend in, which is the effect of pulled back hair. I want to stand out. Curls stand out. If you can do your curls in a controlled way, wear it down. I also don''t like doing a pulled-back hairstyle because I think it makes me look younger.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your help, everyone! I will most likely put it in a bun/chignon because it does get quite hot on my neck in warm months. But I am relieved to know that most interviewers will not think ill of me if I wear my hair down (as long as I don''t fidget with it). I will try to play with technique and products tonight, because the best I''ve been able to come up with at my desk is this (too messy, right?):

bigtbun.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Elmorton. While a low slung bun is attractive and out of the way, YOU won''t stand out in any way. Wearing your hair down (which seems unusual) will give them something to remember. That being said, long curly hair has to be very polished looking so you don''t exude "stripper." I would try a really good creme or even a light gel to keep your curls in tact. Maybe pull part of it back to keep it out of your face.

Personally, I''m against the "bun." It really shows (to me) that you can''t come up with a better way for something you live with everyday. How will you come up with creative solutions within the position you''re applying? (is what I''d wonder in an interview) I also think if you have long hair but don''t wear it down it makes you look like you''re ashamed or something. I don''t mean it''s bad to wear a pony tail or a bun once in a while, especially with a bad hair or frizzy day. But, in general, I think you should embrace what you have. It shows confidence and is memorable.

btw- I have medium length curly hair and I''ve been offered 3 jobs in the optical industry (very professional appearance required) within the past couple months...all with my curls going wild.

Good luck.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 9:54:38 AM
Author:TheBigT
If you were interviewing for, let''s say, an internship at a law firm or law department at a large company -- how would you style your hair? I''m particularly interested in hearing from women with longer hair (although of course everyone can play!).

I have long curly hair that can be fairly easily straightened, except in summer when it tends to frizz. I kept meaning to have it cut shorter after my wedding a couple months ago, but haven''t gotten around to it -- and now I don''t have time before at least one of my interviews (tomorrow). I generally tie it back in a low ponytail, but I feel that this doesn''t look very ''polished.'' And I don''t know whether to try to straighten it, or just give in to the curliness.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Hmm...I''ve always worn my hair down and styled - I blowdry it out and tuck the ends in. But I have really really straight hair.

In your situation, I would maybe pull it back from your face if you leave it curly (simple half up half down), or straighten it, spritz some spray afterwards to keep it from going frizzy, and leave it down.

Or, since you''ve done low ponytails, why not do that but instead of using elastic, use a simple barrette or hair clip to add polish?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 9:56:43 AM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I agree with DB!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I have very curly hair and I always wear it down. It''s kind of wild to some, but it''s my natural hair and I''m not going to slave away with a blowdryer because some idiot thinks that what''s on my head matters more than what''s in it. I just make sure that my make up is natural, my outfit neutral, and my jewelry understated.

Wear it how you feel the most comfortable, confident, and intelligent. They''ll focus on that and not your hair. As long as you''re polished. :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I have a big interview, I get it cut short (a little longer than bob length) and wear it professionally down. I''ve been going to my stylist for 10 years, so I know what to expect - no surprises

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Straight all the way :)

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 11:56:54 AM
Author: Elmorton
TheBigT, I have long curly (well, wavy) hair, and I used to pull it back, but now I wear it down if I have a professional event (such as an interview). Here''s the thing - in a competitive arena, I don''t want to blend in, which is the effect of pulled back hair. I want to stand out. Curls stand out. If you can do your curls in a controlled way, wear it down. I also don''t like doing a pulled-back hairstyle because I think it makes me look younger.
I can see the point about not wanting to blend in. Unfortunately however, in the areas where corporate culture is (usually) more conservative, especially law, investment (where I currently work), etc., there are some rules that no one would like to admit, but they''re still there. Appearance is a very, very important part of the decision whether or not to hire someone, as well as a powerful factor in negotiations of any kind. If you look professional, elegant and businesslike, you''re wearing a nice suit and your hair looks neat, your chance to succeed in whatever you''re trying to achieve is far better. There are companies that are exceptions to the rule, of course, but not that many.

As a general manager of a big company, I can afford to wear my hair any way I like most days, but when I have important meetings, negotiations and such, I prefer to wear my hair either in a bun, or low, sideways ponytail. I want to make sure that my interlocutors are listening to what I have to say, and not staring at my long, blond hair, bouncing freely around my shoulders.

No one would openly admit "I didn''t call that candidate back, because she had wild, curly hair/she wasn''t dressed appropriately/her shoes didn''t match the handbag and the colour of her suit (believe me, I''ve heard it all
40.gif
)." In my experience really long hair and long curly hair, worn freely down, are often seen as a sign of untrustworthiness in business women. If the company in question is not one of those few happy exceptions, I''d choose one of those styles for my hair:

hairstyles1258.jpg

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I would do a French Twist, professional and stylish
2.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to add a photo:

French%20Twist.jpg

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh!!!

I will try that again!

French20Twist.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Adis - despite what we might want to believe, this kinda thing does matter in interviews/the workplace.
For my important interview recently,
I made sure I went and had a professional straight blow dry the day before.
Than, before I started work I had it re-coloured and spent the evening before choosing my outfit etc. I''m not in a position as corporate as Adis'' example, but I wanted to make sure I made the right first impression. Not to mention a blow-dry makes you feel confident & fabulous, lol
9.gif

My hair is currently too short to tie up, but I ditto a sleek bun or side pony for those with longer tresses.

I''m useless with straightening my own hair as it has a wave and is so thick it
literally takes hours..
But I think a pro blowdry is a good investment for this kinda thing - I can usually make them last for ~4 days (maybe an alice band on the 5th if lucky).

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all your help, everyone!
Interview is in a few hours, and I''m still not certain what I''m going to do with my hair, but I appreciate your suggestions!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 7:42:37 AM
Author: TheBigT
Thanks so much for all your help, everyone!

Interview is in a few hours, and I''m still not certain what I''m going to do with my hair, but I appreciate your suggestions!

Good luck, knock em dead!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I opted to straighten my hair on the top so I could have a front part and sleek swoop across the forehead, and I secured it in a low ponytail that was pleasantly wavy (and thanks to lots of product, frizz-free!). I think it looked pretty professional. I would have hired me! I hope they do...

Thanks again, everyone!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 1:51:32 PM
Author: TheBigT
Okay, so I opted to straighten my hair on the top so I could have a front part and sleek swoop across the forehead, and I secured it in a low ponytail that was pleasantly wavy (and thanks to lots of product, frizz-free!). I think it looked pretty professional. I would have hired me! I hope they do...

Thanks again, everyone!
It sounds great, I''m sure you looked smashing! I''m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Slight threadjack: AJ, I''m so happy everything turned out for the best with your work situation!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results