shape
carat
color
clarity

JKT Ring - WG or Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I am designing a JKT ring. The design is pretty much complete. I just need to decide on the metal. In general I''m a WG person. I rarely wear any of my silver jewelry. This is for the Gary Aqua that I got and will basically be similar to the Katie setting. The WG is about $500 more than the silver. Though the bezel will be in Platinum. Do I splurge?! I don''t know! It''s so tough since I''ve never seen any JKT work IRL. If I could just touch and feel and try on first! I''m torn! What do you guys think? Would I be happy with Argentium Silver? I don''t have anything in that right now and don''t really know what that is like. Help!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
How much do you Really love the stone?

I see nothing wrong with the silver, though.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
HB, I''ve had the same dilemma. I''m thinking of having Julia reset my JW blue-green tourm, but I''m not a fan of silver because it tarnishes so quickly (at least for me?) whereas I have no problem with white gold. But Julia''s beautiful settings are definitely more expensive in gold, which is kind of a problem. I think SC hit the nail on the head: how much do you love the stone? Good luck!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2009 5:05:41 PM
Author: sonomacounty
How much do you Really love the stone?

I see nothing wrong with the silver, though.
ditto....if your budget allows for WG - then why not? if this is just a "fun" ring then I might do Silver

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julia is doing my setting in silver and gold. you really have to decide on your upper limit, especially if you''re going to use gold.

-A

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a toughie..the Argentium she uses is different than regular silver I thought, so is more tarnish resistant. Uppy has a thread in the Jewelry section about setting stones in silver. I''m on the fence about how to do my ring too. $500 is quite a bit of difference, but if it''s in the budget, I would say go for it. Do you mind sharing the silver price? Just a roundabout figure if you''re comfortable with it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Personally I prefer the colour and look of high grade silver to WG.
It is morea bright "silver/white" and doesn''t have the grey that WG sometimes does.

The Argentium sterling is supposedly tarnish free, so that addresses that issue really..

I ditto it''s all down to your budget - personally I''m not sure on mixing plat and sterling?
Is there a reason why you want the bezel in plat, or is that Julias advice?

If it helps at all, my upcoming three stone will be 18k YG with sterling (arg) bezels.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It would probably be wiser to use gold if you''ll wear the piece a lot, but I''d consult a jeweller since there are things like structural integrity to consider too. Some designs work better in one metal, some in another, when it comes to durability of the piece. There is also a question of will platinum bezel bond better with white gold or silver - I can''t answer that, but I''m sure you''ll find someone who can.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes I type like I''m talking to you guys and don''t realize what it sounds like when read. The platiunum bezel was suggested if we went with WG. Not sure why. I didn''t ask. I have nothing in platiunum so the idea is fine with me I guess?

I like the stone quite a bit. I suspect I''d wear the ring more if it was WG, but I''m not sure. It''s so hard when you can''t see it and try it on before purchase. This would be my first custom designed ring. We made a bit of modification to the Katie setting, and the stone is square with cut corners as well. That will give it a bit of a different appearance.

The price for silver? It''s $210.

metromom

Shiny_Rock
I struggled with this also for my upcoming ring. Although for me, it won''t be an everyday ring so in the end I went with the Argentium Silver and Rose Gold bezel and accents. I should have the ring this week so I will be able to post pics for you. I did read that that type is silver is more tarnish resistant, and I have a jewelry box from QVC where I keep all my Tiffany silver, and honestly it hasn''t really shown much tarnish, even though some of the pieces I haven''t worn in ages.

Anyway, ditto to everyone''s posts above. If you love the stone and are going to wear the ring daily, I would go for the WG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results