shape
carat
color
clarity

JFF: What makes you different?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Gwen, it''s true, Welsh is a crazy language. I think the only way you can learn to pronounce it is by hearing someone else. There are so many letters that aren''t pronounced the way you would think. But I love it! I''ve never been to Wales but I''m really hoping to get out there sometime. Don''t be afraid of visiting, I don''t think many people who live there actually speak it anymore other than in school. So sad.

And I''ll have to get back into the cello soon
1.gif
I agree that it has one of the most beautiful sounds.

Iechyd da! (Cheers!)

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I am not an LIW but I wanted to thread-jack because I also work in special education!

I work in a school for various needs, in the primary department. The majority of children coming in these days are ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) I work in the year 3 class, with 11 children. Most of them are ASD. 4 are full on Autistic. The others are ASD, Global Delay and one is ADHD.

I love my line of work.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2008 1:36:29 PM
Author: thing2of2
Fun thread! Let me see...a lot of this you all probably already know but here goes!

-I was a college drop out until last year, when I went back, and I graduated last week at age 27.

Congratulations on going back to school and seeing it through! Big achievement.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2008 1:36:29 PM
Author: thing2of2

-I LOVE clothes and shoes more than most people, which works out since I get a discount at my store. I have an especially large collection of shoes and jeans.

If I find a way to magically have the same body type as you do, and wear the same sizes, do you want to swap clothes? I''ve got a really comfy pair of jeans I would be willing to trade for...oh, I don''t know....a few pairs of pants and a killer pair of boots.
2.gif

Gwen, I''m an American citizen, but I usually don''t feel like one. So much of life over here just doesn''t make sense to me, or I miss so many references and "important" things that I feel completely disconnected from the country. I really identify with Virginia, where I went to school, and NC is growing on me (though verrry verrry slowly), but the country as a whole? Nope. (You should have seen my friends last weekend when I asked what tailgating is. They looked like I''d just asked which way was up. BF, great guy that he is, calmly explained like nothing out of the ordinary happened. He''s used to me.)

As for where I''ll go next...it depends on a lot of factors. I really want to move to Holland, Germany, Spain, or France, but I only speak English and Spanish, so I need to start working on my language skills. But I also really really want to go to Columbia for grad school. So who knows. I just get so claustrophobic about being in the same country for too long. It''s an icky feeling.

Okay, more random facts about me:

- I have two jobs. My grown-up job, and my fun job. I just finished day number one at fun job...Build-A-Bear! I love it. Making teddy bears and making kids smile all day is awesome. Other than my feet wanting to fall off, after 8 hours I still feel great. :)

- I love Christmas music, and look forward to listening to it all year...and then forget about it when it''s Christmas time. I''m weird.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I''ll play!

1. I was raised by my dad since age 3 (parent''s divorced, mom moved to Cali.)
2. I grew up in a 2-bedroom log cabin in the middle of the woods. My room today back home is the same room I was brought home to from the hospital when I was 2 days old.
3. I enjoy reading Russian literature and recently, all sorts of history (currently reading Undaunted Courage, check it out!)
4. My lifelong dream is to write a bestselling novel. I will do it.
5. My passion is cooking - I would rather have a stranger tell me, "this chicken is the best I''ve ever had" than "you are one of the prettiest women I''ve ever seen."
6. Unlike most women, I have had not a single side effect from the birth control pill! I think it''s great!
7. I have a genetic heart arrhytmia (irregular heart beat) - annoying but benign.

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
This was a great idea! I only read a few and I''m having fun reading it! I''ll definitely read them all. A celebration of ourselves....

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
This is a really great thread, and I've enjoyed reading through it.
1.gif

I am a complete and total stress-case and perfectionist, especially when it comes to school. Nothing I ever do will be good enough for myself. I am the kind of person who complains and beats herself up all the time not for attention, but because I have issues. I never purposely try to elicit the "you're so great" responses from people, and I honestly don't believe a word of it. Everything I have ever accomplished for myself has been for myself.

I go to a fancypants college that not many people recognize by name, and even though I would NEVER admit it in person [and feel bad even saying it here!] it bothers me a lot when people confuse it with a nearby community college- and I say that as someone with a very high opinion of community colleges in general! I guess I didn't take out all of these loans for no name recognition....
11.gif

I also LOVE going to an all-women's college and I think it has profoundly impacted the way I feel about myself and my accomplishments as a woman in academia. It's awesome.

I have pretty serious bipolar disorder, which makes me a little nutty sometimes, even medicated. I like to think it's part of my charm, and I certainly learned a lot about myself struffling horribly with it over the years. It's made me who I am.

I love to read really intense, academic, wordy political and critical theory at every opportunity, even when I'm not required to for class. I am the same with law, and the only person I know without a law degree who reads every single US Supreme Court decision in full the day it is issued. I do the same with my state [MA], and the state I am moving to next year [CA]. I am no longer planning to go to law school, but it fascinates me in a way no one else seems to understand.

I absolutely love being a lesbian, and I wouldn't change it for the world. I plan to be "professionally gay"-- a degree in cultural/queer studies, feminist studies, or public policy or political science with a focus on domestic issues... queer issues. Haha.
I have never and will never utter the words "If I could be straight I would" or that I didn't choose to be gay; perhaps I didn't [I honestly don't know], but I wouldn't want to change it if I could, so I find it inconsequential to point it out. I believe that even if being a lesbian is not biological I deserve the same rights as any other person. I have a profound belief that there is room for many opinions and stances on the issue of giving me full rights as an American without it resulting in institutional discrimination. I believe absolutely in the freedom of speech, but still every every single time someone says something hurtful to me. Even so, I seek out political debate and am very involved in activism, especially in the queer community. I have at least one heavy political debate with someone with whom I disagree every single day, and it always upsets me, but I can't stay away. I secretly believe I can change the world by doing this.

I dislike most people if I have to be around them for very long. I hate being in social situations for long periods of time.

I am pretty quirky, but it makes me "me"!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Let''s see .......

I''ve been with my SO since I was 16 (it is now over 7 1/2 years later)
I traveled a lot as a child and have been to a lot of different countries
I used to work in fashion but recently quit and now work for a museum (lots of people find that extremely odd)
I loooove shoes and purses, my favorite pair of shoes ever is my Jimmy Choo boots I bought last year
I drink several cups of black coffee through out the day (I find it repulsive when I see people add milk and sugar
14.gif
)
I have a slight obsession with Karl Lagerfeld, if I could ever meet him I would just die, Neiman''s has a Steiff bear of him available, and if we had more money he so would''ve been on my Christmas list (see below for image)

karl.JPG

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2008 3:18:30 PM
Author: merrymunky
I am not an LIW but I wanted to thread-jack because I also work in special education!

I work in a school for various needs, in the primary department. The majority of children coming in these days are ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) I work in the year 3 class, with 11 children. Most of them are ASD. 4 are full on Autistic. The others are ASD, Global Delay and one is ADHD.

I love my line of work.

As a fellow special ed teacher- Props to you! Sometimes it''s hard to deal with our line of work, but the kids are so great, it makes it totally worth it!!

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
Hi All! This is fun!

Hmmm where do I begin? Some background info on me? Well I was born in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, Canada and moved to Ontario at 8 months young. I come from a HUGE family and for a long time all of my dad''s siblings and my cousins all lived in the same apartment complex. (I guess that in itself is pretty strange).

My parents are a mixture of Jamaican and whole lot of other stuff. (too many to list).

Well I guess you could call me somewhat old fashioned and I think it really makes me different. From most of my friends/ associates anyway. I think what makes me different is that I actually love minding my family and am really domestic. I prefer to stay home with my fiance and have a nice "date night in" than to hit the club with some girlfriends.

I think I have OCD when it comes to cleaning
16.gif
and yes I am not ashamed to say it, LOL! It feels like nails on a chalkboard to me when I see someone cleaning and not doing a "thorough" (by my standards anyay) job. I''m a germ-a-phobe and sanitize my kitchen each time I cook.

I can toggle between Jamaican patois and proper english so fast it''ll make your head spin, and carry nary an accent when doing so. I can cuss you out and make sure you know it without using one actual curse or derogatory word
27.gif
Nevertheless I''m a loving person with a high tolerace who would prefer peace over conflict and will usualy concede in order to keep peace. HOWEVER, cross the line and OOOOOOOOOOH chile! I can take you to a whole nudder level of crazy!
29.gif
There are many more quirks but I''ll spare ya!

What can I say? I guess I''m kind of a chameleon....

~SL.

sugary

Rough_Rock
I am the shortest in my family at 5''10" and 135 lbs. I have to get almost everything tailored to fit so I buy expensive pieces of clothing that have to last me a long long time. So I do not go on very many shopping sprees.

I paid for college and grad school by being a "parts" model-- primarily hands and still do if the opportunity presents itself (Yes, it pays extremely well!) Both my mother and grandmother were models (not part models) and my grandmother still models at age 70.

I work for my dad, but not exclusively. I am a set designer and currently have a good chance for doing a set for a tv pilot. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I do not like soda and never have. I eat almost no junk food, except for chocolate and ice cream. I love all Italian food and seafood, but do not eat any red meat. Also, I could eat white pizza with brocolli everyday.

I have only dated one other person before my FI.

I do not own any rings, (except for the one I will get as my ER when it is ready) or bracelets, I have a handfull of earrings, but around 40 or so watches (I lost count) and only a few necklaces, 2 of which are pearls. Jewelry gets in the way of what I do since I work alot with my hands.

Finally, I do not drive and never have. But I am going to learn this spring (once I set up residence) as I will be moving to Connecticut and find that I need to learn before I am married. I am scared to death even thinking about it, but I am not scared to fly as I am on a plane at least several times a month..

My lifelong fantasy is to own my own house. I have only lived in apartments and condos. I cannot wait to go house hunting!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2008 7:03:06 PM
Author: sugary
I am the shortest in my family at 5''10'' and 135 lbs. I have to get almost everything tailored to fit so I buy expensive pieces of clothing that have to last me a long long time. So I do not go on very many shopping sprees.

I paid for college and grad school by being a ''parts'' model-- primarily hands and still do if the opportunity presents itself (Yes, it pays extremely well!) Both my mother and grandmother were models (not part models) and my grandmother still models at age 70.

I work for my dad, but not exclusively. I am a set designer and currently have a good chance for doing a set for a tv pilot. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I do not like soda and never have. I eat almost no junk food, except for chocolate and ice cream. I love all Italian food and seafood, but do not eat any red meat. Also, I could eat white pizza with brocolli everyday.

I have only dated one other person before my FI.

I do not own any rings, (except for the one I will get as my ER when it is ready) or bracelets, I have a handfull of earrings, but around 40 or so watches (I lost count) and only a few necklaces, 2 of which are pearls. Jewelry gets in the way of what I do since I work alot with my hands.

Finally, I do not drive and never have. But I am going to learn this spring (once I set up residence) as I will be moving to Connecticut and find that I need to learn before I am married. I am scared to death even thinking about it, but I am not scared to fly as I am on a plane at least several times a month..

My lifelong fantasy is to own my own house. I have only lived in apartments and condos. I cannot wait to go house hunting!

Oh Sugary, I pity you in advance for having one of your first driving experiences in CT next year. The drivers are crazy up here! I''ve lived here a few years and I''m still amazed at least once a week by how horrible the drivers are
38.gif
I''m sure you''ll be one of the few good drivers though once you learn
21.gif

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 11:11:42 AM
Author: trillionaire
I am the most absentminded person in the universe sometimes. Like 2 weeks ago, when I went to the grocery store and lost my keys. Car and house keys, both. Had to call SO to rescue me, and the keys were never found. So SO gives me his copy of my house key, so that I can get into my apartment, and my roomie mailed me my spare car key. Of course, when I left SO''s house, (4 hours away), I forgot to take my apartment key.
20.gif
Left it on the desk. Fast forward to this morning, when I am packing to drive the 16.5 hrs to get home (taking the 60lb dog, and I won''t fly her). I rented a car, since mine isn''t in the best shape to make it that distance and through the mountains. Anyway, I lost the ##$%#$^$%#&@ keys! I cannot for the life of me find the keys to the rental car, and now my sister is going to be PISSED because I am probably going to get there a day later.
15.gif

*SIGH*

T- Just thought I''d share a similar story with you. On my way home to visit my parents, I stayed at FI''s house. The next morning, I got up and packed to leave. My car would not crank. At all (but that''s another story.) So I take FI''s car to my parent''s house. FI gets my car fixed in time to come visit me on Thursday. He calls me frantically Thursday morning because he stayed up late the night before looking for the key to me car! He had torn apart the house looking for it, and it was nowhere to be found! He decides to borrow his mom''s car to come. He finally gets here, still having no idea where that darn key is. He hands me my Christmas present and tells me to wait until Christmas to open it.. yeah, right. I tore into it and guess what was in there? THE KEY Somehow it had gotten into the box, and he wrapped it not knowing.

Moral of the story.. don''t wait until Christmas to open your gifts.
9.gif

Hope you find your keys!

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
This is a fun thread!!

- I played soccer from the time I was five until my senior year of high school. I was the goalkeeper. I quit playing because in the district tournament a girl kneed me in the ribs so hard I had to be taken off the field in an ambulance. I still have side effects from it.

- I have gone to school for 7 straight semesters (including summers) taking the max. load so I can graduate one semester early.

- I plan on teaching high school history to Deaf students in sign language.

- I can''t stand big groups of people.

- I cannot stand shopping for more than 2 hours.

- I am the shortest member of my family at 5''6". My younger sister is 5''10" and still growing....

- I LOVE to travel. I hope to have been on every continent by 30. (I''m only 20 now, so it seems possible at the moment.)

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2008 12:33:58 PM
Author: gwendolyn
AdiS, haha, that's too funny about the shoes.
9.gif
Also I find it amusing that you wanted a career in the arts but ended up in business, because I chose a career in the arts (music teacher and performer) and often thought I was silly not to go into business to make better money!
3.gif
lol, life really surprises you sometimes, doesn't it?

Oh, I thought of a few other things too:

- I speak 3 languages;
- I have 3 tattoos and a belly button ring under my corporate suit
9.gif

- I'm from Bulgaria where the Balkan genes are predominantly effecting in darker hair and skin (not really swarthy, but not pale either). I, on the other hand look more like a Scandinavian and I have no idea where that came from! (naughty grandma maybe? lol)
- I HATE the cold! Really, really hate it! The only time of the year I can stand it is around Christmas since my holiday spirit is rather high, but after that I can't wait for the spring to come.
- One of my biggest dreams was going to Egypt and I got to do it on my honeymoon! (Thank you hubby, darling!)

sugary

Rough_Rock
elrohwen : I grew up in northern Jersey and NYC so I feel prepared to learn to drive like a maniac. Honestly, I will be taking lessons from a professional driving school as my brothers said if I want to keep my relationship happy do not let your FI teach you. He learned in Florida and I always laugh because he doesn''t drive as fast as everyone else and we get honked at all the time. He''s extremely laid back in general and it has helped me calm down since I always feel rushed. So, how many lessons do you think I''ll need, plus will I ever need to parallel park?

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Fun one Gwen!

-I have 4 huge dimples, which I used to hold my breath and puff out my cheeks to push out (it didn''t work). I was voted best smile in 8th grade :)

-I wish I was a Broadway actress- I love musicals!

-I am extremely double jointed in my hands and arms

-I LOVE turning the calendar to the next month! I get such joy out of it for some reason!

-I have no sweet tooth whatsoever. I could go the rest of my life without dessert.

-I have about 6 different laughs and never know which one will come out!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2008 7:16:43 AM
Author: sugary
elrohwen : I grew up in northern Jersey and NYC so I feel prepared to learn to drive like a maniac. Honestly, I will be taking lessons from a professional driving school as my brothers said if I want to keep my relationship happy do not let your FI teach you. He learned in Florida and I always laugh because he doesn''t drive as fast as everyone else and we get honked at all the time. He''s extremely laid back in general and it has helped me calm down since I always feel rushed. So, how many lessons do you think I''ll need, plus will I ever need to parallel park?
Well, at least you''re prepared for the craziness
1.gif
That''s so funny about him being from FL and being a slow driver ... I have a few friends from FL and they''re the same way! Haha.

I have no idea how many lessons you''ll need. I learned on a stick shift so it took me a looong time, but everyone I know who started on automatics picked it up right away. And you''ll definitely need to parallel park at least for the driving test, but even in CT there are a fair number of places to parallel park (though you can probably avoid them if you try and find regular parking). I''m sure you''ll pick up driving fast, it might just take you a while to be comfortable keeping up with the crazy drivers. Good luck!

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
*I have been to over 100 broadway shows and have never once been late. (new york)
*I dreamed of living in Manhattan since my first adult visit in high school and made that dream come true after college
*I can walk in the city for hours without getting tired, but can only walk around indoor malls for an hour before collapsing into a bench.
*I have dated a fair amount of men, but my curreent BF is the first real serious BF I''ve had.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2, you''re right, I did know most of that already, but WOOHOOO CONGRATULATIONS on graduating school!!!! That is a huge accomplishment!!! Well done!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

elrohwen, ok, so I won''t let the scary Welsh language keep me from visiting Wales if you take up the cello again. Deal?
31.gif

merrymunky, even though you aren''t an LIW, you can still play with us! Very cool that you work in special needs as well, and in primary as well! I worked in a kindergarten class doing special needs support and absolutely loved it. Five-year-olds make life so much fun.
5.gif

princesss, yeah, I can understand your feelings about the US as a whole. There was something that got under my skin to go out and live elsewhere because I wanted to have more experiences and see things firsthand so they''d change my worldview. Now that I''m out, though, I find myself missing home--not so much the place itself but the people there (and some of the food). And for the first time in my life, I feel like settling down (rather than moving every year or so). So, I don''t know where I''ll end up. Let us know what you decide to do next!
1.gif

laughwithme, oooh, a log cabin in the woods?! That sounds divine! Any plans on what sort of novel you want to write? (Not sordid details that would give anything away but genre?) Sounds fantastic!
1.gif

WishfulThinking, I totally know what you mean about people getting your school mixed up with another one--if you''re paying through the nose for a certain school, you don''t want people to think you''re anywhere else (especially if they notice you''re subsequently poor due to all of your loans
3.gif
)! I know what you mean about not enjoying social situations for long periods of time too--my friends and I used to go on vacations together, 12 of us sharing a house for 4 or 5 days. I would take walks or long baths to have some time to myself, otherwise I''d get rather grumpy. I think it''s great that you are so proud to be a lesbian and also believe you may be able to change the world through debate and discussion, so keep it up!
36.gif

purselover, that is an interesting change, going from fashion to a museum (unless it is a fashion museum?). How did you make the change? Haha, sorry, you''d find my coffee-drinking habits totally gross then, as I like the frou-frou girly types of coffee like a grasshopper mocha or whatever.
3.gif

SparklyLibra, I usually prefer date nights in rather than out at the club or wherever too. Not much beats snuggling on the couch! And haha, I would love to hear you cuss someone out (not me, though!
6.gif
) while bouncing between Jamaican patois (that''s a dialect, right?) and regular English. Sounds awesome and intimidating at the same time.
9.gif

sugary, ooh, how exciting! I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you too that you get to do set design for that TV pilot! And I think you''ll make a very good driver if you realize the dangers inherent in it. The most dangerous drivers out there are the ones who think they are invincible! It is a great skill to have--I have been driving for almost 14 years but don''t have a car now and miss it horribly.

blackpolkadot, holy cow, sorry to hear about your soccer injury! That''s terrible that you still feel anything at all from it. Did the girl who did it knee you on purpose or did she just fall on you weirdly? Awesome about history in sign language--so cool! I have always wanted to learn sign language and really should since I work in special needs. Would you say you''re fluent? How long did it take you to get comfortable with it? Oh, and you can totally get to all the continents before you''re 30 if you have ten years to do it! Make sure you do one a year, but prepare in advance for the trip to Antarctica--you''ll need to spend lots on proper equipment and cold weather gear. I want to go there myself one day!

AdiS, ooh, do we get to see pics of your tattoos?
31.gif
And yay for Egypt! One of my friends from work is going there next week and I am so envious!!!!

GoingCrazy29, aww, your dimples sound adorable! I have two and didn''t want them either but everyone else loves them. I''ll bet you have a great smile! Oh, and I really like turning my calendar to the next month too! Makes me feel like I''ve accomplished something, maybe?
16.gif

happydreams, wow, 100 shows?! Which one is your favourite? And that''s interesting about walking around the city with no problem but getting so tired from walking in malls. Maybe it''s the strain of holding yourself back from buying lots of stuff?
2.gif

Just in case I don''t get another chance (am leaving tomorrow morning and will be away for a week and a half), I hope you all have a wonderful holiday full of love, happiness, cheer, and lots of PS dust!!
31.gif
36.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2008 8:47:17 AM
thing2of2, you''re right, I did know most of that already, but WOOHOOO CONGRATULATIONS on graduating school!!!! That is a huge accomplishment!!! Well done!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

elrohwen, ok, so I won''t let the scary Welsh language keep me from visiting Wales if you take up the cello again. Deal?
31.gif

merrymunky, even though you aren''t an LIW, you can still play with us! Very cool that you work in special needs as well, and in primary as well! I worked in a kindergarten class doing special needs support and absolutely loved it. Five-year-olds make life so much fun.
5.gif

princesss, yeah, I can understand your feelings about the US as a whole. There was something that got under my skin to go out and live elsewhere because I wanted to have more experiences and see things firsthand so they''d change my worldview. Now that I''m out, though, I find myself missing home--not so much the place itself but the people there (and some of the food). And for the first time in my life, I feel like settling down (rather than moving every year or so). So, I don''t know where I''ll end up. Let us know what you decide to do next!
1.gif

laughwithme, oooh, a log cabin in the woods?! That sounds divine! Any plans on what sort of novel you want to write? (Not sordid details that would give anything away but genre?) Sounds fantastic!
1.gif

WishfulThinking, I totally know what you mean about people getting your school mixed up with another one--if you''re paying through the nose for a certain school, you don''t want people to think you''re anywhere else (especially if they notice you''re subsequently poor due to all of your loans
3.gif
)! I know what you mean about not enjoying social situations for long periods of time too--my friends and I used to go on vacations together, 12 of us sharing a house for 4 or 5 days. I would take walks or long baths to have some time to myself, otherwise I''d get rather grumpy. I think it''s great that you are so proud to be a lesbian and also believe you may be able to change the world through debate and discussion, so keep it up!
36.gif

purselover, that is an interesting change, going from fashion to a museum (unless it is a fashion museum?). How did you make the change? Haha, sorry, you''d find my coffee-drinking habits totally gross then, as I like the frou-frou girly types of coffee like a grasshopper mocha or whatever.
3.gif

SparklyLibra, I usually prefer date nights in rather than out at the club or wherever too. Not much beats snuggling on the couch! And haha, I would love to hear you cuss someone out (not me, though!
6.gif
) while bouncing between Jamaican patois (that''s a dialect, right?) and regular English. Sounds awesome and intimidating at the same time.
9.gif

sugary, ooh, how exciting! I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you too that you get to do set design for that TV pilot! And I think you''ll make a very good driver if you realize the dangers inherent in it. The most dangerous drivers out there are the ones who think they are invincible! It is a great skill to have--I have been driving for almost 14 years but don''t have a car now and miss it horribly.

blackpolkadot, holy cow, sorry to hear about your soccer injury! That''s terrible that you still feel anything at all from it. Did the girl who did it knee you on purpose or did she just fall on you weirdly? Awesome about history in sign language--so cool! I have always wanted to learn sign language and really should since I work in special needs. Would you say you''re fluent? How long did it take you to get comfortable with it? Oh, and you can totally get to all the continents before you''re 30 if you have ten years to do it! Make sure you do one a year, but prepare in advance for the trip to Antarctica--you''ll need to spend lots on proper equipment and cold weather gear. I want to go there myself one day!

AdiS, ooh, do we get to see pics of your tattoos?
31.gif
And yay for Egypt! One of my friends from work is going there next week and I am so envious!!!!

GoingCrazy29, aww, your dimples sound adorable! I have two and didn''t want them either but everyone else loves them. I''ll bet you have a great smile! Oh, and I really like turning my calendar to the next month too! Makes me feel like I''ve accomplished something, maybe?
16.gif

happydreams, wow, 100 shows?! Which one is your favourite? And that''s interesting about walking around the city with no problem but getting so tired from walking in malls. Maybe it''s the strain of holding yourself back from buying lots of stuff?
2.gif

Just in case I don''t get another chance (am leaving tomorrow morning and will be away for a week and a half), I hope you all have a wonderful holiday full of love, happiness, cheer, and lots of PS dust!!
31.gif
36.gif

I actually still have the same job title (buying) just instead of buying clothes I buy kid''s toys for the gift shops. I got tired of being in fashion very quickly it wasn''t a good environment for me, I had a crazy VP I had to work for, long hours, little appreciation etc it was just a nightmare. I chose the museum b/c it''s very laid back it''s straight 9-5 with lots of time off, and a great boss. I love the museum so much more, so it def seems like a permanent change for me.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Fun Thread!!!

Ok Lets see.....

- I am totally, completely obsessed with the Caribbean....We try to go on 2-3 trips a year. I always have something planned and as soon as I get back from one trip, I start reasearching for the next trip! I''m a built in travel agent and advisor for all my friends and co-workers. LOVE IT.

- I''m a very loyal friend.
9.gif
It''s more the quality with me, not the quantity.

- I lost my Dad when I was 15, my mom when I was 27, both from cancer. My Dad lived almost 6 months from the day he was diagnosed, and my Mom 3 weeks from her first symptom. It was extremely traumatic and has had a huge influence on me, my personality, and my life in general. I have a 93 year old grandmother who is very healthy and still lives on her own. She is my only ''"parent".

- I have stuggled with my weight since I was a little kid. I think I need to losee about 40-50 lbs (but I''m told I hide it well). About 10 years ago I decided to stop hating myslef and accept myself for who I am, big thighs and all! But that doesn''t mean I still don''t try to eat healthy and go to the gym!

- I have dimples and get nice comments on them all the time!

- I got an "extreme makeover" about 2 years ago. Breast augmentation and Lipo on the stomach and butt. I''m so happy I did it but it was absolutly the most painful horrific experience I have even been through. I had no idea....seriously - the lipo was ridiculously painful.

- I am 100% Polish!

- We are planning on selling our houses and moving to Mexico or the Caribbean in about 5 years.

- I HATE the cold and should never have been born in the NE!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2008 12:33:58 PM
DG, great taste in music, my dear! I am totally with you on the being a non-drinker because of the cost. I almost never drink because I can think of better things to do with my money!
1.gif
Thanks!
2.gif
And yeah, there is so much more you can do with the money! lol

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 3:48:48 PM
Author: Pushin40
Fun Thread!!!

Ok Lets see.....

- I am totally, completely obsessed with the Caribbean....We try to go on 2-3 trips a year. I always have something planned and as soon as I get back from one trip, I start reasearching for the next trip! I''m a built in travel agent and advisor for all my friends and co-workers. LOVE IT.

- I''m a very loyal friend.
9.gif
It''s more the quality with me, not the quantity.

- I lost my Dad when I was 15, my mom when I was 27, both from cancer. My Dad lived almost 6 months from the day he was diagnosed, and my Mom 3 weeks from her first symptom. It was extremely traumatic and has had a huge influence on me, my personality, and my life in general. I have a 93 year old grandmother who is very healthy and still lives on her own. She is my only ''''parent''.

- I have stuggled with my weight since I was a little kid. I think I need to losee about 40-50 lbs (but I''m told I hide it well). About 10 years ago I decided to stop hating myslef and accept myself for who I am, big thighs and all! But that doesn''t mean I still don''t try to eat healthy and go to the gym!

- I have dimples and get nice comments on them all the time!

- I got an ''extreme makeover'' about 2 years ago. Breast augmentation and Lipo on the stomach and butt. I''m so happy I did it but it was absolutly the most painful horrific experience I have even been through. I had no idea....seriously - the lipo was ridiculously painful.

- I am 100% Polish!

- We are planning on selling our houses and moving to Mexico or the Caribbean in about 5 years.

- I HATE the cold and should never have been born in the NE!

I am sorry to hear about your parents. I just wanted to say that I am 1/2 polish and have dimples too :). My mother was 100% polish.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I can play even though I am not a LIW (married, for 8 years). I have enjoyed reading all of your responses and feel compelled to reply! :)

-I am the only woman in my family (and it''s big...my dad is 1 of 4, and my mom is 1 of 9) to graduate from college.

-I went back to college at the age of 31 and graduated when I was 34, with a Bachelors Degree in Special Education.

-I teach learning disabled students (grades 9 & 10) at the High School my husband graduated from (and I grew up about an hour away).

-I have lived in Florida (I worked at Disney World while doing a college internship).

-I have lived in Chicago (briefly, followed a boyfriend there-bad move, LOL).

-I lived with my Dad as a child (as my Mom left us).

-I met my Husband on a blind date.

-I have 2 sister-in-laws and they both live in Europe (1 in England, 1 in Switzerland).

-I have 3 cats, I am a total animal person.

I just wanted to say for all of those other special needs teachers out there, I totally admire you, respect you, and strive to be a great teacher like yourselves!

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/23/2008 8:47:17 AM

That injury was unintentional, so the ref said. But I did have a girl intentionally hurt me one game
6.gif
! She was kicked out of the game
11.gif

As for the sign language, I am nowhere near fluent. Honestly, I don''t know if I will ever be, not because I don''t want to be, but because it''s complicated and ever changing. I can carry on a conversation about most things pretty easily though. It took me about 3 semesters of classes to get really comfortable with it. I also have a Deaf friend, so if I wanted to communicate with her, I had to sign!

Do you use any form of sign language with your special needs kids? I worked at a special school one semester, and we used sign language with children who had autism or language disorders. It is amazing to see!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m exhausted and need to go to work tomorrow (on New Years'' Day!!
39.gif
) but this is what comes to mind right away...

-I am the tallest living female in my immediated family by a long shot... we''re talking several inches here.

-My father was born in the UK, went to NZ on a ship with his parents and big brother when he was 3 and came to the US when he was 19 (OK, that doesn''t make ME different, but my family). My parents got married after dating for only a few weeks because he was going to be deported. It worked out. Just celebrated their 32nd wedding anniversary.

-I was a heavily involved sorority girl AND an engineer who built off-road race cars in college. They balanced me nicely.

-I used to clean my best friend''s room all the time when I was little but hated cleaning my own.

-Most people are quite shocked to hear that I am a HUGE HUGE Kanye West fan.

-My hometown doesn''t even have a traffic light in it.

-I''m scared to death of hamsters. Big scary teeth.

-I have immediate family on three continents. Oddly, the ones in NZ are not on my father''s side.

-My life goal is to have a composite materials theory named after me (and my father too I suppose since we''re in the same industry). In 100 years I want people to consider the theory bearing my last name as useful as some of the stuff we use today.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Oooh Great Thread! I want to play too!!

First off....I want to say hey to Gwendolyn, Merrymunky and Tuckins!! I''m a fellow special ed teacher too. (Have been for many years) I completey understand where you''re coming from. I teach middle school ESE reading, language arts, and math, and people tell me every DAY that I''m nuts but I LOVE it!!

Some unique things about me:

* I''m Canadian (born and raised 10 years in Toronto) but I absolutely HATE the cold!!
*Most days I''d rather read, listen to music or play with the computer than watch TV. (Unless Grey''s Anatomy is on!)
*I began running as a stress reliever and now it''s my obsession....I run 5-6 days a week now. I''m actually MORE cranky when I don''t run.
*It''s a secret dream of mine to be in Playboy..but of course I never could since I''m a teacher. (Could you IMAGINE??) I think it''s just a pretty girl fantasy of mine.
*Although I teach kids everyday, I absolutely TERRIFIED to have kids of my own...how messed up is that??
*My Dad''s side of the family is related to Hungarian royalty.....
*I''d much rather hang out with guys instead of girls. (Most times it''s easier for me)
*In the same vein I don''t seem to make friends with girls very easy...
*I''d rather listen than talk....
*I''m a football watchin, beer drinking, kinda girl...and I''d rather do that instead of shop anyday! (But when I do shop LOOKOUT!!!-- my closet is insane!!)

That''s all I can think of for now....I''m on college football overload!

:)ILE

Kitiaral

Rough_Rock
Such a great/cute idea!

-i''m an ICU nurse. I get burned out sometimes, but I love it and work with awesome people! I''ve made so many wonderful friends. Nurses are the best friends!
-I have THE CUTEST chocolate and tan min pin. My BF used to hate dogs, but he''s in love with Bailey. Before I moved in and we (bailey and I) left his house, he would text me within five minutes saying that he missed us already (bailey AND me). She is so sweet and well behaved.
-I''m starting grad school this month. It''s a really great program that is set up at work. Eventually I want to be a professor of nursing.
-i love chocolate...can''t live without it. Dark is my favorite. It''s great because its so rich so it''s hard to have more than one piece. so i get my chocolate fix without pigging out.
-gosh, i don''t know what else to say? My friends all say I''m really sweet and thoughtful...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No longer a LIW, but whatever.
2.gif

-Went to 2 culinary schools, got a degree from the first one, and the name of the second one on my resume anyway--which opens a lot more doors than it probably should. Oh, and I started out wanting to cook, and ended up wanting to do pastry.

-Going to school for Psychology, and I probably won't use it. I'm getting it for my parents. My mom always wanted me to be able to support myself and not have to depend on a man to make money. She also didn't want me to get married until I was over 30. That isn't going to happen obviously. That was the one thing I told FI that I didn't want to happen.

-I read people extremely well, but especially romantic relationships and can predict breakups, the reason for them and about the time they will occur with very good accuracy. This goes up the better I know the couple and the more I know about the relationship. But I can tell even from little things like statuses on networking sites.

-I have over 130 pairs of shoes, and live in about 4 pairs of them. I'd say more than half have never been worn outside of the house. 90% of these are heels.

-I own a lot of shoes, a lot of nice clothes (almost all colors of the rainbow) and a LOT of makeup. But 98% of the time, I'm in sweats without any makeup.

-I am a food snob when it comes to restaurants, but I am incredibly grateful when anyone decides to cook for me in their home. I always get the "Now don't judge me too harshly...", when I'm really just thrilled to get a home cooked meal.

-I have ADHD, OCD (obsessive tendencies), math learning disability along with severe problems telling a story from start to finish, and keeping on topic in conversation. I also have to be doing at least two things at once, it's very rare that I can just sit still and watch a movie or the tv for instance.

-I will eat anything. Well, anything edible.

-I used to be a 32GG. Now I'm a 34DD. I had a breast reduction just over 5 years ago. They had removed 7 pounds of breast tissue. For a year afterwards I fell at least once a day. I still fall more than the average person.

-I don't pay attention to the lyrics in music, but around the 4th or 5th time I hear a song, I can sing at least 50% of it.

-I don't drink caffeine or carbonation, except for Starbucks bottled Frappaccino, Red Bull and hot chocolate, none of which I drink very often.

-I don't like diamonds. And I'm an April baby.

-FI and I met on myspace. He had a GF at the time. (I had nothing to do with their breakup. Mostly. It's a long story.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results