shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Savings Account.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one on the forum to have a jewelry savings account?In 1985 I started a savings account in which i put a small amount of my weekly paycheck and any gift money in a seperate account that would go towards a diamond of size for a right hand gents ring.The account could only be used to go toward the targeted piece.The first piece took 5 years to save for and as i saved I shopped and researched.I looked with wholesalers,retailers,pawnshops and in the news paper.The search yielded a 2.54 RB diamond(well cut, SI1 clarity,k color)that was a trade at a BMW dealership.After the purchase i found i had enough left over to buy a year old Toyota.The next account was called the Rolex fund and after 4 years i finally found a stainless/18k rolex.I had enough left over after finding the Rolex to buy a 1.01 princess cut diamond(SI1-I).After i get back to work then i will be re-opening the account for the perfect Ruby.I have to admit i have cheated and used the account for a few smaller(under$100)items to control the gem and jewelry hunger when a great piece comes along.Am I crazy or does anyone else save for their jewelry this way...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jewelerman!
I on my second attempt for a ''jewellery savings account''!

I saved up a bit last time, but neglected my credit card in the process...
I got a bit impatient and emptied the account to clear the cc debt (I hate cc debt, and don''t have the patience to pay it down slowly).

Now, I''m starting again...I''ve got to get my upgrade somehow!

Problem is, I''ve now veered off into planning / dreaming for a wonderful jewellery present for my husband... (40th birthday coming up)

So, the upgrade will have to come up after. The jewellery savings account will be all about him for now! And I''m so excited!

I hope I have the discipline to see it through, I have a lot of expenses with a young family...
3.gif

Jewelerman, you seem to have a fantastic savings discipline! Enough to buy a diamond, and a Toyota!! I''m impressed. I don''t think I''d have the patience to wait five years.
23.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have savings accounts for certain purchases for sure. At the time none for jewelry, but I just have other things in mind right now!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Lara,
Its so nice of you to think of your husband first for his 40th birthday.(i celebrated my 40th with a heavy 14kt. yellow gold figaro gents neck chain)What are you thinking of getting him...i can keep a secret!I have good saving disapline except when it comes to jewelry...i like and want pretty much everything i see...so i have had to learn to become more deserning in my buying and so thats why i set up the jewelry account...plus it was fun to show the bank tellers at the bank the jewelry from my deposit box when i went in to make a jewelry account deposit.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Neat freak,
now what could come before jewelry?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I''m planning on getting him a rather elaborate replacement wedding ring.
He''s a secret peacock and loves a bit of ''bling''...but being a rough aussie bloke is a bit reticent about it.
He originally had a two-tone ring, with a revolving centre featuring tiny point diamonds!
Only thing is, he''s a vet, and lost his ring in a glove within two weeks back at work after the honeymoon!
So I''m hoping for a two tone ring (this time plat shell and YG inside), a secret diamond AND a .2 DNAE blue on the outside (he''s a scientific man, I''m hoping it''ll tickle him).
Complete with a mushy message engraved.

A glitch in the plan this morning: he intercepted an enquiry email to Pearlman''s...
4.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If I want something in particular I can save up for it, but we have enough bills that I usually don''t unless we come into some "free" money. (That''s how we have paid for all our jewelry.) I am hoping to someday be able to have a jewelry savings account though, instead of putting our dollars into a jar, put them into a bank where interest can grow! :)

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Monkey pie,
One way i save and justify jewelry (ever since i was 12) is if I want a candy bar, a soda pop, want to go to the movies or buy a magazine or something i dont really need anyway...something that has temporary gratification...I put the money into the jewelry account...and i usually dont miss what i didnt buy in the first place.Back when i was a kid video games were the rage(pacman was new!)and my friends spent every dime they got on video games,i just watched them play and saved my money and went and bought silver jewelry, which i still wear to this day! I hadnt thought about the interest my account was earming while it was in the bank...thanks for bring that up in your thread...and good luck with starting your own account soon.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 1:39:59 AM
Author: jewelerman
Monkey pie,
One way i save and justify jewelry (ever since i was 12) is if I want a candy bar, a soda pop, want to go to the movies or buy a magazine or something i dont really need anyway...something that has temporary gratification...I put the money into the jewelry account...and i usually dont miss what i didnt buy in the first place.Back when i was a kid video games were the rage(pacman was new!)and my friends spent every dime they got on video games,i just watched them play and saved my money and went and bought silver jewelry, which i still wear to this day! I hadnt thought about the interest my account was earming while it was in the bank...thanks for bring that up in your thread...and good luck with starting your own account soon.
What a cool kid you were, JM!
I enjoy reading your posts.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have one set up that is rather difficult to take $$ out from. I can transfer IN very easily, but to transfer out it goes through our joint chequing account, which then becomes obvious to DH that I''m withdrawing.....

:)

Every time I want to make an impulse purchase I look at my soon-to-be new ER on my cell phone and try and restrain myself. It is amazing how fast the $$ adds up. I also put all of my performance bonuses and gift$ in that account. And the rule is: no CC for jewelry. That is a hard one for me but I find it pays off in the end.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

Jewelerman I do the same thing!!!! Every paycheck I take a little and put to the side, however I take every other bonus and put to the savings. I wish my hubby would wear nice jewelry. I wanted to buy him a heavy 18k gold ring with a .50 oec diamond; however he just wants to wear his wedding band.

Would it be too much to ask if you would post you goodies on Pricescope? You sound like you have an amazing collection!!!!!
Please

bump bump.gif

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mini threadjack: LARAONLINE, when you do purchase your blue dnea diamond, can you please post about it (if you''re happy with the quality, other info) I have been hoping someone from PS would buy from them eventually! Thanks!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Lynn b,
Thanks for the compliment!I really enjoy sharing on this forum and reading about others jewelry and watches.
Macie,
Others have recently asked if i would post jewelry from my collection and im going to learn how to use my new digital camera(a college graduation gift from my friends!)and how to post pictures on the forum.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 11:23:02 AM
Author: nclrgirl
Mini threadjack: LARAONLINE, when you do purchase your blue dnea diamond, can you please post about it (if you''re happy with the quality, other info) I have been hoping someone from PS would buy from them eventually! Thanks!
Hi there!
35.gif

I would be glad to, but I love Pricescope and don''t want to break any rules! I wouldn''t want to get kicked off!

Actually (funny aside) my man intercepted an email from Pearlmans...he told me, and I quote: "If you spend that (much money) on a ring for me, I''ll throw it over the back fence!"
!!!!
What an ungrateful so and so!!!
1.gif

He''s an aussie rough head, he doesn''t mean it.
I think I might just buy the stone, and present it to him by itself
27.gif

I might be able to upgrade the size if I do it that way, as well!

Not surprisingly, I related this story to Bill Pearlman... and he didn''t respond to my email. He thinks I''m a dag
15.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I did have an account for this--I originally ordered the Cartier pave trinity ring as my wedding band and DH had put $7,000 or so in a jewelry account to cover the cost of the ring (this was over a year ago, so I think they''ve raised their prices 2x since then). Anyway, I immediately had buyer''s remorse and cancelled the order, but DH told me to just keep the money in that account and use it for a wedding band and RHR if I didn''t want to spend that much on a band. I ended up buying a (comparatively) inexpensive half-eternity for the wedding band and put the rest of the money into our retirement accounts. All of the money for other wedding bands/jewelry I''ve paid for out of my own non-joint accounts (I like to buy my own jewlery). So in short I had a jewelry account, but rolled it into a different account pretty quickly.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I have been so terrible at this! I will start to save money toward a jewelry purchase, only to feel guilty and use it toward my student loan debt. Though I do not have much in the sense of jewelry because of this, at least I am ahead of schedule paying off my loan.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Savings account" is a highly glorified title for an old wallet that I stuff spare bills into ... but, yeah, I do. My 30th is coming up, and I''d like to buy something snazzy for myself to mark the occasion ... still trying to decide between a solitaire pendant and an eternity ring.
33.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
No, I haven''t done that before but I think its a good idea!!!!!!!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results