shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dhorn

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend is in love with a ring offered by Nikawa, but I cannot afford their prices, nor am I willing to simply take their word on a diamond. So I want to have this ring made by a Jeweler. My question is: Is this something most Jewelers would be able to recreate? Would they be willing to? I don''t know if these things can be copywrited or how it works. Can anyone recommend a Jeweler in the Dallas/FtWorth area who is really good?

I also have been informed that Nikawa settings are made for small diamonds. I was hoping to use a .60-.75 carat diamond, is this to big?
Thanks in advance,
Dhorn

nikawa.jpg

dhorn

Rough_Rock
No responses huh? I''m starting to think I am doing something wrong. 3 threads and almost no responses.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The design is very pretty and quite simple. I don''t think anyonje wants to advise youto break copyright laws. No doubt, you can find someone in your area who could make something similar for less money. It won''t be Nikawa and the design might be a little different, but unless you are a perfectionist, you probably will have no trouble doing your own version.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I have a new log in name. Now I can post again? Glitch between this forum and the havoc some trojans played on my PC. Thanks Leonid.

I don''t know why you didn''t get a response, perhaps oldminer is right.

This design is not new. Maybe 1000 jewellers have made something very close or the same, maybe 1 million have made that basic design. How can any copywright stand up.

I can understand where somebody took the original ring and sold it in their own name, or recreated the ring and sold it with the same name. That would breach copywrite. It would be a crime IMO

I can''t see where there can be copywrite on that design. One day I might overfile a ring I am making and loe and behold, Cartier want to sue me. I find it insulting that they dare to pretend to own designs that have been created a thousand times in different ways before IMO - I''ll stop ranting now

Anybody can make that. You will be steered away from the pictured design because it has some different angles then the stock mount they will have in their catalogue. Just make sure they are willing to sweep the edges toward the stone. Tell them your fussy and you won''t take it if doesn''t look like the photo The photo does not provide dimensions, so despite what it may seem there is a lot of guess work to make a ring that looks the same. This is a tricky task IMO for you because I know that most jewellers don''t design jewellery, they just make it they don''t even know how to charge for the extra work to recreate a design from a photo. Invariably they are scared people will think they are expensive or inventing extra charges.

Have you seen the ring? It might be better to go with the normal design, or choose something similar if you find somebody with a big catalogue. It is entirely possible that a US casting house offers this ring to many different distributers. Almost every branded design I know of personally is readily available and comes with different names in different places.

The normal design might look better in person. The internet can be tricky when you are fussy about design.

Any competant jeweller can hand forge it for you, or perhaps make a model for casting if he wants to reuse the design, but you will have to inspire them. Smile a lot and have them know you appreciate the extra effort.

It looks like a beautiful ring. I hope you get it for a better price. The size of stone does come into account as far as weight goes, but I have been making a ring similar which is extremely heavy in plat and it is always well recieved.

Good luck

Phillip

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2005 7:7:45 PM
Author: Platinumsmith

Any competant jeweller can hand forge it for you, or perhaps make a model for casting if he wants to reuse the design, but you will have to inspire them
34.gif
There''ve been a few design clashes around here...

This posts of yours is the first "guide to custom design etiquette" I ever read. Any chance to see a slightly expanded version made public in Pricescope''s Journal ?
31.gif

dhorn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help. It sounds like this could be an interesting but involved process. When you say tell them to sweep the edges do you mean they should round it off towards the stone? I guess I will just walk in to some jewelry shops and ask around. I am still open to suggestions of competant jewelers in the Dallas Ft worth area.

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 7
6.gif
7:45 PM
Author: Platinumsmith

I can understand where somebody took the original ring and sold it in their own name, or recreated the ring and sold it with the same name. That would breach copywrite. It would be a crime IMO

I can''t see where there can be copywrite on that design. One day I might overfile a ring I am making and loe and behold, Cartier want to sue me. I find it insulting that they dare to pretend to own designs that have been created a thousand times in different ways before IMO - I''ll stop ranting now
unfortunately, you can get design patents AND copyright on jewelry. do a search on the us patent website --> www.uspto.gov for jewelry design if you don''t believe me... and IF they have one or the other, they can go after the ring maker; but i''m not sure if it would be in their best interest if it was just an isolated occurrence for financial reasons.

anyways, i''m not sure if your ring is covered or not, but if there are a lot of duplicates, i''m thinking it''s probably not covered. you might want to look that up beforehand... best of luck with the search, i''m doing mine too...

dhorn

Rough_Rock
Can anyone suggest a jeweler other than Nikawa that makes a ring like this? It doesn''t have to be exact, she really just likes the style.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results