shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler Lies and Need Help ASAP!!!

dannyk1011

Rough_Rock
I posted about a month ago. It was ungraded but the jewelry claimed it was an old mine cut or old European cut. The receipt says this exactly. It also says it will include a free grading. We had verbally agreed that if it came back differently we would work something out.

They are claiming the GIA report cost them $500. When they told me they were sending it out that it was only $175. So I don't know which is true.

I was promised Old European Or old mine VS1 and I/J color.

Well it came back as a **edit** circular brilliant SI1, J color, polish good, symmetry fair, fluorescence none

It is .86ct

I paid $2500 for the stone. The GIA report number is 5234071561.

I feel it is probably worth less not being an old mine or old European.

What do you all recommend we do? The jewelry is tell me they will refund the stone but I'm on the hook for the necklace.

They keep changing stories about if they will source an Old Mine /Old European or not for us at no extra charge.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gia’s parameters for making Old European designation vs circular brilliant is knocking around here somewhere.

some people here don’t care. some do.
if I loved the look of the stone - and by going back to your other thread I don’t think anyone who knows what an OEC looks like will mistake your stone for a round brilliant -
I wouldn’t be bothered by it.

eta

info differentiating is found here:

Last edited:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
GIA has tight(ish) parameters to call something an Old European. A lot of round old-cuts will come back "Circular brilliant" - my (gorgeous, genuine antique, IMO perfectly cut ;-) ) transitional is a GIA circular brilliant, but an EGL Old European (which is in part why it was initially graded there). Doesn't at all mean it isn't a beautiful OEC, which (looking at your pics from your other thread), it does appear to be!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think your stone missed the GIA designation because of the crown is not as angled as the GIA criteria requires. Imho, the GIA parameters are not perfect.

Your stone has a slightly large culet and small table 2 out for 3 for the GIA designation. The stone is slightly spready so it's possible to was in a tiara/ earring/ brooch before? The good news is that it's perfect for a necklace!

Check out the comparison chart here:

Btw, the OEC in my avatar pic has a tiny table and is very deep, I think GIA would grade it as a Circular Brilliant due to the medium size culet.

Perhaps, they can give you a small store credit since the stone is a SI1 versus VS1.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
IMHO circular brilliant v. OEC is not as much of a distinction worth bargaining over, compared to the VS1 going down to an SI1.

If you like the stone, my recommendation is to negotiate a reduction in price. Right now, Ivy and Rose is selling a 0.78 ct I color SI1 clarity OEC for $1895 (GIA).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as GIA cost here is the schedule.

I believe it should have cost about $78 + shipping/insurance both ways which is probably in the $175 price range total.

If they insist on sticking to the $500 amount ask to see the bill from GIA and the bill for shipping.

Edit...and as far as it is designated...I guess I'm not so invested in what it is as long as it looks the way I like my old stones
to look.

Your thread title seems like someone committed a murder. I would step back and not be so emotional about it. Figure out
what would make you happy and what logically would make sense from their perspective. Present them with some "fair" to
both party options and go from there.

Are they trying to make you pay $500 for the GIA report?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA designations are not well grounded in reality nor history.
That GIA came back circular brilliant is not unexpected on a stone everyone else would call an OEC.
The grading difference is grounds for negotiation as is the report cost.

dannyk1011

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! I backed off a little. The wife wants to keep it and move on. I was more upset then she was.

I didn't like the way the jeweler handled the situation. The story telling and lying about costs. Instead of being honest and truthful. That probably upset me more than anything else.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will definitely find a different jewelry store for the next purchase. I think I'll try ivy and roses or another online vintage diamond provider. I'm already looking for a set of vintage cut earrings for the wife for Christmas.
That's a great idea. Come back here for advice when you have some choices, or ask for help here now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will definitely find a different jewelry store for the next purchase. I think I'll try ivy and roses or another online vintage diamond provider. I'm already looking for a set of vintage cut earrings for the wife for Christmas.

I'm going to state the obvious "lesson learned" from this thread since you are looking for a nice pair of
earrings...buy pre-graded stones so you dont end up feeling misled or disappointed. Ivy and Rose does
sell some ungraded stones and we (pricescope) have learned that they can be very optimistic in their
in-house grading.

Agree with @Lookinagain come here for advice before buying and let us help you look for a nice pair.

dannyk1011

Rough_Rock
I'm going to state the obvious "lesson learned" from this thread since you are looking for a nice pair of
earrings...buy pre-graded stones so you dont end up feeling misled or disappointed. Ivy and Rose does
sell some ungraded stones and we (pricescope) have learned that they can be very optimistic in their
in-house grading.

Agree with @Lookinagain come here for advice before buying and let us help you look for a nice pair.

Yes, definitely a lesson learned. I was upset by the owner's son and his handling of the situation. He was only giving me the day yesterday to make a decision on how to proceed. He was the one who shook my hand and said if the GIA cert comes back less than the receipt, we will work out the difference. Then he completely changed his story and started making up lies.

I will not make the same rash decision again and do my research before Christmas. Then share the diamonds I find, on this forum here for feedback. I will not buy from this store again. I do not know how they are still in business with this mindset.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes, definitely a lesson learned. I was upset by the owner's son and his handling of the situation. He was only giving me the day yesterday to make a decision on how to proceed. He was the one who shook my hand and said if the GIA cert comes back less than the receipt, we will work out the difference. Then he completely changed his story and started making up lies.

I will not make the same rash decision again and do my research before Christmas. Then share the diamonds I find, on this forum here for feedback. I will not buy from this store again. I do not know how they are still in business with this mindset.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Contact Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem for all your antique cut needs. He if he doesn't have it, then he can either get it or have it custom cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem for all your antique cut needs. He if he doesn't have it, then he can either get it or have it custom cut.

That's if you're looking for "newly" cut old-looking stones (not true antiques). His cuts have excellent light return and are beautiful.
However, if you want the romance of a stone cut in the early 1900s (or possibly earlier), then I have not seen those there. He
may be able to get them though. Really depends on what you're looking for.

dannyk1011

Rough_Rock
That's if you're looking for "newly" cut old-looking stones (not true antiques). His cuts have excellent light return and are beautiful.
However, if you want the romance of a stone cut in the early 1900s (or possibly earlier), then I have not seen those there. He
may be able to get them though. Really depends on what you're looking for.

I will be looking for true old cut diamonds. My wife likes the uniqueness and story of the old diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results