shape
carat
color
clarity

jeweler access to AGS stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Can most jewelers get AGS stones, such as those "virtual" diamonds published on various lists? (Hope I''m saying that right.)

I''m looking to do a mini-upgrade on some diamond studs, and am leaning toward stones with AGS reports. The jeweler says that he''ll have "the best luck" getting what I want with GIA, even when I link him to virtual AGS stones listed by multiple vendors that I believe are possiblities, or at least similar to what I''m looking for.

So what gives? Do some jewelers only work with suppliers who deal in stones with GIA (or EGL) reports? Or...what?

Thanks for any info!
35.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
35.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/35.gif" align="absMiddle border=0">

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
why is it that we feel we have to beg some companies to take our money?
33.gif
i would find someone that has, or is willing to get what you want kathy.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock

Hi, Belle! Thanks for the reply.

1.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
1.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif" width="15 border=0">

Yeah, that''s how I''m starting to feel. It''s like I''m bothering him because I''d like to give him more money!

20.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
20.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/20.gif" border="0"> Weird.

However...I''d prefer to stay with him because of his trade-up policy. I don''t want to start over with another vendor and have to try to unload my current studs. Know what I mean? Ugh.

I guess I was wondering if there was an actual reason that he seems resistant to AGS, or if he was just being kind of...uh...stubborn, if that''s the right word. I''ve asked him why he''ll have "better luck" with GIA, but have just gotten vague answers. Maybe his margin would be smaller? Dunno...

I guess a question is, would it be appropriate to look at some virtual stones listed, pick a couple that I like, and ask (tell??) him that I''d like him to call one or two in?? Or is that not...done?

Gosh, I''m still such a newbie at all of this!! Yikes!
33.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
33.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/33.gif" align="absMiddle border=0">

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When a non-AGS member utilizes an AGS Lab graded diamond, they are subtly endorsing the AGS and its member retailers. Some non-AGS members have a somewhat uneasy feeling about making their competition look better to consumers. There was a time, long ago, that AGS grading on diamonds was strictly for the benefit of AGS retail members. It was a benefit that was underappreciated and finally the lab was created when the grading went public....available to member and non-member alike.

Politics and economics, not loyalty to long term AGS retailers, went into the process of creating the lab. It evened the playing field for members and non-members to a great extent. However, the creation of the AGS Lab did bring much needed publicity to the AGS in the overall. It may now be considered by many former and current AGS members a fair trade off, since the Lab has been a large success.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the information, David. Very interesting and good to know!
1.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
1.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif" width="15 border=0">

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2006 4:36:53 PM
Author: oldminer
When a non-AGS member utilizes an AGS Lab graded diamond, they are subtly endorsing the AGS and its member retailers. Some non-AGS members have a somewhat uneasy feeling about making their competition look better to consumers. There was a time, long ago, that AGS grading on diamonds was strictly for the benefit of AGS retail members. It was a benefit that was underappreciated and finally the lab was created when the grading went public....available to member and non-member alike.

Politics and economics, not loyalty to long term AGS retailers, went into the process of creating the lab. It evened the playing field for members and non-members to a great extent. However, the creation of the AGS Lab did bring much needed publicity to the AGS in the overall. It may now be considered by many former and current AGS members a fair trade off, since the Lab has been a large success.
Originally AGS asked GIA to put the AGS cut grading on the GIA Diamond Grading reports for AGS members who requested it, but was told no. They then decided to open their own lab to do this for the AGS members as they were told there was a large demand for it. I do not know if the lab was open to the trade from the beginning or not, but there was not initially enough demand from only AGS members to make it happen without the lab being open to the trade.

Now the AGS is leading the pack in the quality of their cut grading and the analysis of light in shapes other than round. Much of what we now know about how light behaves in a diamond is the result of many millions of dollars, much of it provided by various industry leaders, spent in research and developement of the tools that we jewelers are now benefiting from. The ASET is just one of the many tools provided to the jewelers by AGS. Soon their cut quality analysis software will be available also and my understanding is that this will be available to all jewelers who wish to use it, which will make it much more widely accepted and useful to the buying public who cares about the quality of the cut of their diamonds.

My fervent hope is that the GIA will recognize the quality of the work AGS is doing and go back to the drawing boards to come up with an equally useful and accurate cut grading system of their own and that the two labs will compete feverously for our business to the betterment of all.

I believe that the more the public knows about cut grading the fewer lifeless lumps of crystallized carbon the mass merchandisers will be able to sell and that even they will eventually have to provide at least relatively well cut diamonds in order to sell them. (Of course, I still believe in the tooth fairy, but we all need our dreams...)

Wink

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 11:47:57 AM
Author: Wink

My fervent hope is that the GIA will recognize the quality of the work AGS is doing and go back to the drawing boards to come up with an equally useful and accurate cut grading system of their own and that the two labs will compete feverously for our business to the betterment of all.

AMEN!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results